DC comics introduces Arab-Muslim Green Lantern

featofstrength

this is a dangerous game for DC.

this will get them alot of hype. But it will also cause an uproar from muslim activists if they show the character breaking any of their religious rules.

On the other hand, if they do show this muslim character doing everything the right way, he will be unrealistic.

I used to date a muslim girl for almost 4 years.. and the ONLY part of her religion she followed was that she didn't eat pork lol

this will get them alot of hype.

Comics are in desparation mode right now. Not because DC is doing a Muslim character....heck, it's not JUST DC at all. Both of the Big Two are basically throwing anything out there that will spark attention and sales.

I read that the tatoo on his arm would already be against Muslim beliefs (at least according to the article I read on the character). I read an interview with Johns and his take on the character, I'm not going jump up and start hating just because. In fact, I'm a proponent of comics pushing NEW characters instead of always falling back on old, safe stand bys. But again, FIVE Earth GLs???? I guess if there's any hope of this guy sticking he'd have to be attached somehow to one of the big guns, and the GL Corps can be a readily available pool for something like this. But FIVE Earth GLs???

I guess we'll see...

Im cool with a variety of different DC characters just as long as they are new, and not an old character that they try to change, as in sexual orientation , religion, ideals, for shock value. I don't see a problem with a new character that is Muslim. Marvel has a female Muslim character with traditional garb. there's good and bad in all creeds. I've met a lot of good people that are Muslim, I've met a lot nice people who are Muslim as a combat vet in Iraq and here.

• Like 3

Im cool with a variety of different DC characters just as long as they are new, and not an old character that they try to change, as in sexual orientation , religion, ideals, for shock value. I don't see a problem with a new character that is Muslim. Marvel has a female Muslim character with traditional garb. there's good and bad in all creeds. I've met a lot of good people that are Muslim, I've met a lot nice people who are Muslim as a combat vet in Iraq and here.

Yes, but how many were ski-mask wearing car thieves waving hand-guns.

Seriously, how bad has political correctness gotten when we'll not only accept even the most broad, demeaning, inflammatory stereo-types just so we can say we have such and such race, creed, or religion represented in the media, but we'll call it a good thing?.

Yea the car thief and criminal past if true is a bad choice for a new hero to start with but the handgun thing doesn't bother me .maybe he'll upgrade it with constructs around it.

I like his mask and the rest of his costume is okay. But he would be much cooler without the short sleeves. and I still don't understand the need for a pistol. You have one of the most powerful weapons in the universe on your finger. Why would you EVER need a handgun?

The sleeves have to be short, though, in order to display the tattoo which is apparently an integral part of how they're trying to develop the character.

The whole handgun and petty thug angle could be played out like early versions of heroes like Spider-man and Batman who became more sure of themselves and less arrogant.

I'm not really a fan of the character visually... the dark skinned guy just has to have a gun and ski mask. Seems patronizing. Maybe it too will evolve as their story progresses.

Why did they make a new character?

I'm sure Captain Triumph could be muslim in the new 52 universe....

Bring back the classic character we all know and love!

I have no clue who Captain Triumph is.I never knew he was a character in DC till this post

Why did they make a new character?

I'm sure Captain Triumph could be muslim in the new 52 universe....

Bring back the classic character we all know and love!

I have no clue who Captain Triumph is.I never knew he was a character in DC till this post

That is terrible....I have shown you nothing in 4 years!

Funny how they're claiming he looks totally unlike any other Green Lantern...

Let's see...

Skin-tight green & black costume? CHECK!

Green Lantern symbol on chest? CHECK!

Mask? CHECK!

Lot's o'muscles? CHECK!

...Yeah...he's like totally different....

• Like 1