Could Another Brand Supplant JOE?

FredBroca

The story goes that Bill Gates got is foot in the game because IBM was napping. IBM just wanted the software exclusively for its products, however Gates wanted to make the software compatible with everything. I think that's how the story goes. Anway....

Anyway, could another company come along and basically be G.I. JOE circa '82-'87, a military themed toy base with realisitic and possible future weaponry. Less generic filecards that state their miltitary specialities, where they trained, what conflicts they were in, and realisitic uniforms, or have we as society passed that point?

I know that since last Christmas and the extreme lack of Joes on pegs, Wal-Mart dedicated alot of peg and shelf space from GI Joe to those "Corps" line. Not as articulated but some of them don't look all that bad.

it was the same thing with winners, Zellers and a couple Toys R Us stores

In some ways the corps has, they have been on the pegs more consistantly than Joe and although they never have a toon, kids always seem to buy them. For some crazy reason retailers keep them in stock too.

I don't know that another company could cheaply get the level articulation we see in Joes today and file cards are likely a think of the past. Hasbro needs to move on to using apps and the internet to communicate the story to their customers.

I've always said that the CORPS was one solid cartoon series away from giving G.I. Joe a run for their money.I would imagine a CORPS cartoon series to be something like C.O.P.S.I also think that the "expendables" would make be an awesome cartoon spin-off where new/different recruits would make an appearance with every passing episode.It is essentially how G.I. Joe began.

I don't think another brand could come along and do much of anything. Heck, Joe has a hard enough time on it own. It would be a massive undertaking to even try. I mean we don't even see that many companies try. Trying to get anything "new" in the toy aisle is a massive undertaking and I can't recall the last time that a company or brand was really successful (maybe Halo?).

Speaking of Halo, I think for Joe to survive into the future as a property it has to make that digital leap. It even lends itself to doing so better than trasnformers, as their main gimmick is a puzzle you can work with your hands as it changes from two different toys. No it doesn't have to be COD as far violence goes, but it could push the envelope a little more. Skylanders might me something to look at too, cause dang that was successful.

I agree. GI Joe needs a video game. A GOOD video game. That Rise of Cobra game was mediocre at best. I recently saw my sister's fiance playing a Transformers game for the 360 that I think was a prequel telling how the war between Autobots and Decepticons started and I was so jealous. GI Joe doesn't need hardcore M rated violence to work. It needs what that game got. Good graphics, tight looking gameplay, and a story. Quality cut scenes would be nice too.

In some ways the corps has, they have been on the pegs more consistantly than Joe and although they never have a toon, kids always seem to buy them. For some crazy reason retailers keep them in stock too.

I don't know about other stores but I hear Wal-Mart basically is so dedicated to them because Wal-Mart partically OWNS the company that makes them (Lanard)

I agree. GI Joe needs a video game. A GOOD video game. That Rise of Cobra game was mediocre at best. I recently saw my sister's fiance playing a Transformers game for the 360 that I think was a prequel telling how the war between Autobots and Decepticons started and I was so jealous. GI Joe doesn't need hardcore M rated violence to work. It needs what that game got. Good graphics, tight looking gameplay, and a story. Quality cut scenes would be nice too.

I don't know about other stores but I hear Wal-Mart basically is so dedicated to them because Wal-Mart partically OWNS the company that makes them (Lanard)

I have heard the same thing about lanard, sounds like dishonest bussiness to me. I love see the free market in action, but today when corporations own corporations and pieces of bussiness etc. it's hard to tell you are buying from and what you are supporting.

as to the transformers game I played the first one. i will admit that trasnformers lends itself to lasers and a more pg 13 rating easier than Joe , it can still be done for Joes. The first game was good, story was B grade but superior to many toon episodes. I think the Joe game needs real bullets and mostly real guns, but they can turn off all blood, and there is zero need to include the torture and gore of COD.

I have played ROC and couldn't finish it, it was pretty bad, still better than the movie, but the game play is so outdated.