What's your favorite Batman movie?

yojoebro82

12 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Batman movie?

• Batman
    • Batman Returns
    • Batman Forever
    • Batman and Robin
    • Batman Begins
    • The Dark Knight
    • The Dark Knight Rises

Welp, another Batman movie came out making this a mandatory question yet again! What did you vote?

Personally, I have to go with Dark Knight for all the reasons we already know about. However, there are actually a lot of Batman movies that I like...almost all of them in fact. It's just hard to mess this character up (right, Schumacker?)

I'm a fan of Tim Burton films in general and his Batmans are no exception. I hear a lot of people complain about Returns and that it's "too dark". I don't know what that means, really. Too dark story wise or literally too dark that they can't see it? I just don't get it either way.

Having recently watched most all of them, I have to admit that seeing Forever after a long while made me look at it a bit differnetly. In actuality, you ALMOST have a decent Bat movie here. Kilmer did a good job as Bruce/Batman, and some of the story points were pretty dark and could have used a lot more exploration, like the book kept by Bruce's dad and the cave scenes. In fact, I watched the special edition deleted scenes and apparantly there was a whole story involving the book and the cave that was cut out and I asked myself "WHY"?!?!? That would have been great to see. The real killer for this film was the villians. Both completely over acted, their personalities almost indistinguishable from one another. Two-Face: overdone. Riddler: really overdone. Again, they really spoil the movie and it's too bad.

Batman and Robin was a disater that we all know about and for the life of me I could not track it down in my quest to see all the Batmans before I saw DKR. I just bought it on DVD today for $7 shipped. Almost backed out after reading reviews bashing things that I had forgot about since the one time I saw it in theaters (Bat-credit card? UGH!!!!) I know, I just threw $7 down the toilet, don't remind me...

Gotta say the Nolan trilogy was almost perfect. Just a really good Batman story all around. I put it up there with the original Star Wars. I'd say more, but I gotta go somewhere...

Thoughts?

Had to go with The Dark Knight. I think Heath Ledger just makes that movie complete. I love the Nolan movies. I've long since moved on from the Burton and Schumacher movies. I can watch the Burton movies and not really be bothered by them, but I can't bring myself to watch the Schumacher ones.

Batman And Robin is one I watch more often than the Tim Burton films or Batman Forever. It's total camp, but I think if you've ever seen the old TV show with Adam West and remind yourself that's what Schumacher was going for, it's totally watchable. I love the colors in the film. It's like a cartoon come to life. If you want Batman The Animated Series, Chris Nolan, or Tim Burton, you'll be disappointed.

Anyway, The Dark Knight is probably the best Batman movie. Heath Ledger's performance is one of the best things I've ever seen in a film. The Dark Knight Rises and Batman Begins are both outstanding and great choices. All the Batman films have their merits, though (some obviously have more than others).

I just watched Batman and Robin for the first time since 1998, found the 2 disk DVD for cheep. Really the only way to make it through is by constantly reminding yourself to think of it an an homage to 60s camp.

I actually liked watching the special features better than the move. It sheds some light on why it was bad. Seems WB (shockingly) had this thing rushed out after the success of Batman Forever and that marketing and merchandising (again, shockingly) took a front seat to any kind of quality film product. They saw $ signs and the final product suffered. Schumaker's comments were also nice to hear, he mentions all the studio interference but at the same time takes ownership for what heppened as well. The point was also made that all the Bat films represent various incarnations that Batman went through in the comics in all the decades he's been around, which I completely agree with.

Campy Batman is not my kind of Batman, but ultimately, I think I may go a bit easier on Schumaker's films in the future. Well...maybe not Batman and Robin, but definately Batman Forever...