Collection Intervention

Wheeljack35

If the dude with the Catwoman collection is a member here or lurks here or whatever,I apologize in advance for what I'm about to say: You sir,are a doofus. I don't know why he thought those figures he had would sell for so much if the boxes are smashed or if the figures are falling off the card.

I kept waiting for what's-her-name to show him how to store his stuff. She mentioned he needed some tips, but they never showed anything like that.

I personally could never store stuff like that...I'm too much of a perfectionist and a neat-freak when it comes to the storage of collectibles. That part of the show was driving me crazy, how he just had stuff crammed in old boxes that were practically falling apart and stacked haphazardly in an old musty garage. It's against everything I stand for as a collector. (lol)

I didn't like when they tried to make make the girl "sell" her StarWars figures. She said that the figures were her favorite part, so why go for those at all? They take up the least amount of space, and aren't worth as much as alot of the big things she had all over the place. I just thought that was screwed up.. and taking the people that need her "help" to dealers is BS too... A dealer isn't going to pay you half of what your stuff is worth..

I liked the part where the Starwars girl went to the auction and where the Catwoman guy sold his stuff at a store himself... that is cool. don't force the people to get taken advantage of by selling it in a way that they don't want to

as for Toy Hunters.. it still sucks. It is trying to be exactly like American Pickers, but it can't because it is not visually exciting for him to rummage through a bunch of stacked up cardboard boxes or plastic bins. On American Pickers, when they pull up to somebody's property, it's like going into the past.. and an instant history lesson. Plus, Mike and Frank are just alot more interesting than Jordan.

At least it confirmed that I'm not as bad as I thought I was. My toys don't overrun the house (that much) and I'm still paying my rent and feeding my belly (to which I'm convinced my gut is actually an lost twin I haven't fully digested yet or some demonspawn baby who refuses to leave big papa). My Gf did confirm that my only "manic" toy moment she's seen was this week when I was trying to buy a Blue Lion on MattyCollector. I informed my office that I would be busy from 9am-to roughly 915am and if they heard me scream then to let screaming dogs lie, or if I was doing my atomic happy dance then to let the sunshine in. I'm in like with my childhood "friends" but I've given or lost so many old toyz it was like a pattern w/me. My 1st collection was given away or sold by my moms (garage sales) and my stoopid decision to let my drinking buddies "hold" onto my collection till I came back into town. My last few stabs at collecting I would buy a few kool toyz then give them away when I got tired of looking at em or when I would relocate to parts unknown. My latest collection is an hodgepodge of clearance clarence and garage sale/thrift store finds which makes them awesome cause I did get a few backstories (wanted and unwanted) while purchasing my finds. The look in other fanboy's eyes as they told tales of woe and want and outgrowing or making space for the new baby. In a few ways I pitied or envied them as well. I on one hand wasn't preparing to take the grown up step of building a family of lil ones to which I could pass on the wonder of imagination and collecting and on the other I wasn't preparing to lil monster proof my toy collection from the impending onslaught of sticky fingered toy eating accessorie losing mini-me's. This old timer loves to reminisce about battles longgone of Joe and Decepticons as much as the next fanboy. This show was at least a starting point to shed some light on our fellow madmen/madwomen (equal billing here) and hunter's. I enjoyed it thurulee and hope it will continue.

I didn't like when they tried to make make the girl "sell" her StarWars figures. She said that the figures were her favorite part, so why go for those at all? They take up the least amount of space, and aren't worth as much as alot of the big things she had all over the place. I just thought that was screwed up.. and taking the people that need her "help" to dealers is BS too... A dealer isn't going to pay you half of what your stuff is worth..

I liked the part where the Star wars girl went to the auction and where the Catwoman guy sold his stuff at a store himself... that is cool. don't force the people to get taken advantage of by selling it in a way that they don't want to

as for Toy Hunters.. it still sucks. It is trying to be exactly like American Pickers, but it can't because it is not visually exciting for him to rummage through a bunch of stacked up cardboard boxes or plastic bins. On American Pickers, when they pull up to somebody's property, it's like going into the past.. and an instant history lesson. Plus, Mike and Frank are just alot more interesting than Jordan.

I agree about Mike and Frank but you think picking through garbage is more exciting then what Jordan could find?

Mercy I had a thing for that Star wars girl I think she is cute

Normally I would agree with you on her but they had to make some room and it wa sweet that Steven Sansweet bout Captain Rex

As for Toy Hunter I was telling my gf that (you dudes confirmed as well) a collector really isn't gonna get the price they want unless its a rare item or a big piece. If your selling your stuff to a seller, it's like taking it to a pawnshop they're only gonna give you maybe a 1/3rd of what they're gonna sell it for. And if it's going into a buyer's personal collection then you might be able to get what you really want for it, price-wise. The Catwoman buyer (the comic shop owner?) he was salivating atta few of Catman's finds but it seemed like he would prolly sell most of it. That Mego-Hulk (w/labcoat) was awesome, that would defintly fell into my collection and f-up box or not I would have kept the million dollar man and woman toyz they were hella koolz. but I feel also the girlfriend (while in debt to the man) harbored a resentment that goes beyond finances, maybe an underlying jealousy or wierded-out feeling that her husband likes heroines a lil too much? (I pass no judgements either on what a person collects it's alot less harmless than doing drugs or robbing retirees). Yes I agree Catman has to learn how to collect better but he should've been allowed to display his stuff out in open (no pun), I mean if he's forced to repress his collection, a small resentment will build towards his wife not understanding what makes him happy, hell 1st marriage gift from hubby shoulda been a nice Catsuit for his blushing bride (at least that's how I woulda rolled).......:P

As for Toy Hunter I was telling my gf that (you dudes confirmed as well) a collector really isn't gonna get the price they want unless its a rare item or a big piece. If your selling your stuff to a seller, it's like taking it to a pawnshop they're only gonna give you maybe a 1/3rd of what they're gonna sell it for. And if it's going into a buyer's personal collection then you might be able to get what you really want for it, price-wise. The Catwoman buyer (the comic shop owner?) he was salivating atta few of Catman's finds but it seemed like he would prolly sell most of it. That Mego-Hulk (w/labcoat) was awesome, that would defintly fell into my collection and f-up box or not I would have kept the million dollar man and woman toyz they were hella koolz. but I feel also the girlfriend (while in debt to the man) harbored a resentment that goes beyond finances, maybe an underlying jealousy or wierded-out feeling that her husband likes heroines a lil too much? (I pass no judgements either on what a person collects it's alot less harmless than doing drugs or robbing retirees). Yes I agree Catman has to learn how to collect better but he should've been allowed to display his stuff out in open (no pun), I mean if he's forced to repress his collection, a small resentment will build towards his wife not understanding what makes him happy, hell 1st marriage gift from hubby shoulda been a nice Catsuit for his blushing bride (at least that's how I woulda rolled).......:P

I think unless you sell it on ebay you will never get what you really want for it

• 3 weeks later...

anybody see the latest episode? The guy named Sean with a massive action figure collection lives here in Sacramento. The host takes him to a store called "Toy Fusion" here in town to sell some of his extra... and nobody comes to his sale for a long time lol

I have been to Toy Fusion lots of times, and I am not shocked that nobody came for a while. It's a pretty weak consignment store. There isn't much good stuff there, and what they have is overpriced. It's basically an ebay that you can walk into, but the sellers set the prices high instead of the market. It used to be an epic warehouse store a long time ago though.

anyways.. I think I have definitely seen him roaming the aisles.. but I didn't know he was a toy reviewer.

cool episode.. even better because it was local. And Sean has the same kinds of stuff that I have.. minus the Hot Toys

I understand that they focus on those with MEGA sized collections, but I've know several of these people so far. Maybe not personally, but I've seen their collection reviews and have respected them from a far. My question is...

How long before WE get this kind of attention? I'm talking about members here at TNI?

If shows like this take off at all, it's only a matter of time before any of us will find a film crew at our doorstep,..thanks to the open internet.:angry: TNI would be easy pickings for them.

What would be your response if they showed up at your home? I live in Texas, so I get to shoot first (to protect my family) and asked questions later. @smilepunch@

anybody see the latest episode? The guy named Sean with a massive action figure collection lives here in Sacramento. The host takes him to a store called "Toy Fusion" here in town to sell some of his extra... and nobody comes to his sale for a long time lol

I have been to Toy Fusion lots of times, and I am not shocked that nobody came for a while. It's a pretty weak consignment store. There isn't much good stuff there, and what they have is overpriced. It's basically an ebay that you can walk into, but the sellers set the prices high instead of the market. It used to be an epic warehouse store a long time ago though.

anyways.. I think I have definitely seen him roaming the aisles.. but I didn't know he was a toy reviewer.

cool episode.. even better because it was local. And Sean has the same kinds of stuff that I have.. minus the Hot Toys

You really thought that was a good episode?????? They sat there and said a Bandai Thundertank which you can go to any store and find for $20 or less was valued at $150. They said a loose, open vintage Cat's Lair which you can get off eBay for $100 or less was worth $500-$600. They tried to say loose opened Hot Toys figures were were $1k. The entire thing was bogus. Sean Long even basically says so in some videos he posted afterwards. He's said they came to him and they had his girlfriend act that way. They had her bring in her toys and throw them around the apt so that it was more cluttered than it really is. Not only does the show try and make collectors (IE, you guys) look like utter morons who can't control themselves. Basically taking all of the worst sterotypes people think of when they think of toy collectors and put it on the screen. Its a complete and utter sham. I think the show's producers where hoping that Sean would promote the show for them through his YouTube channel which does have 50k subscribers, despite the fact he doesn't really have anything valuable in his collection (Because he's a guy who gets sent free toys from etailers in return for advertising) and opens and reviews stuff. So they had to basically make stuff up to sell. I mean really, he was sitting there selling Mattel 3.75" Green Lantern figures at that store. Figures you can go into almost any TRU store and find on discount. Who is honestly going to pay a marked up second hand cost for something like that????

I don't want to be mean, but anyone who thinks Collection Intervention is a good show, probably really does need their head examined.

You really thought that was a good episode?????? They sat there and said a Bandai Thundertank which you can go to any store and find for $20 or less was valued at $150. They said a loose, open vintage Cat's Lair which you can get off eBay for $100 or less was worth $500-$600. They tried to say loose opened Hot Toys figures were were $1k. The entire thing was bogus. Sean Long even basically says so in some videos he posted afterwards. He's said they came to him and they had his girlfriend act that way. They had her bring in her toys and throw them around the apt so that it was more cluttered than it really is. Not only does the show try and make collectors (IE, you guys) look like utter morons who can't control themselves. Basically taking all of the worst sterotypes people think of when they think of toy collectors and put it on the screen. Its a complete and utter sham. I think the show's producers where hoping that Sean would promote the show for them through his YouTube channel which does have 50k subscribers, despite the fact he doesn't really have anything valuable in his collection (Because he's a guy who gets sent free toys from etailers in return for advertising) and opens and reviews stuff. So they had to basically make stuff up to sell. I mean really, he was sitting there selling Mattel 3.75" Green Lantern figures at that store. Figures you can go into almost any TRU store and find on discount. Who is honestly going to pay a marked up second hand cost for something like that????

I don't want to be mean, but anyone who thinks Collection Intervention is a good show, probably really does need their head examined.

awe man.. I didn't know it was fake like that. You can't trust Hollywood. Oh well, guess I won't be watching that anymore

lol yup pawn stars is fake as well but at least its funny and amusing & not insulting to collectors ... I'm going to have to try & find & watch that show you are talking about just so I can see what you are talking about :) Would you have links to the guys youtube videos talking about what crap it was that you can post?.. Stuff like this always makes me wonder about other shows as well like storage wars or American restoration @loll@

I posted on Sean's FB page about that because when I heard the appraider say $150 for a new Thundertank I nearly fell out of my chair thingking is this guy stupid?

Well Sean told me has an origional Thundertank and it was the way it was edited to make it look like he was refering to the Bandai version

Plus the other so called collector that was sp bring I had to fast forward through his to get to see Sean's

I understand that they focus on those with MEGA sized collections, but I've know several of these people so far. Maybe not personally, but I've seen their collection reviews and have respected them from a far. My question is...

How long before WE get this kind of attention? I'm talking about members here at TNI?

If shows like this take off at all, it's only a matter of time before any of us will find a film crew at our doorstep,..thanks to the open internet.:angry: TNI would be easy pickings for them.

What would be your response if they showed up at your home? I live in Texas, so I get to shoot first (to protect my family) and asked questions later. @smilepunch@

One more reason why you don't post your information freely on the internet including your facebook & things like that

they come at my door I'd tell them to leave reasons being

1.I do not look good on camera

2.my room and collection is disorganised

3.my room is extremely small

4. my fammily would embarass me big time

5.they would have to bleep out half of what I say

6. I don't need an intervention for collecting I need one for my caffeine addiction

anyone else watch the comicbook episode

I can't believe that guy traded 3000 comics for one issue of incredible Hulk sure it was the first appearance of Wolverine but come on 3000 comics for that