WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT THE " MAN OF STEEL" TEASER TRAILER ??

uli62

I imagine they're going for "Superman: Birthright"...the years between leaving Smallville and getting to Metropolis. He spends time wandering the world, connecting with people, trying to figure out where he fits in with the needs of the world and his powers to do good. That part of Birthright is good...

That's right. Supes has had a half dozen origin stories in the past 25 years and Birthright was one of the better ones. If that was what they were going for , it would explain the fishing boats and the hitch hiking that people seem to be ready to pin the doom of this movie on. Yeah he travels the world like Bruce Wayne, but for a very different reason. Wayne was training to become the world's greatest fighter and detective, Clark was learning more about the world he's destined to protect. Again, at least that was the story in Birthright. We'll jsut have to wait and see...

• Like 2

yeah for the movie nerd i am, i really think the lord of the rings music doesnt really deliver here. its like you would take the star wars theme for green lantern, lol. they didnt revealed that much either so its to early to tell.

• Like 1

On one hand, I love that piece of music and feel that it gives Man of Steel a poignant, epic feel. On the other hand...it's lazy. Why not write an all-new piece for Superman? The character is great in his own right and deserves original music, even if it is simply a teaser. It's the very first impression fans are getting of the new film, and to cheapen it by including "used" music is quite frankly insulting on some level.

I do love the "Americana" feel I get from the imagry though. And...as much of a boy scout as I feel Clark Kent is, I can see someone who is endowed with great power, someone who feels they alone have the enormous responsibility to protect an entire planet would do a great deal of soul-searching...or maybe even running away from expectations like he seems to be doing in the teaser footage. Perhaps he's living "off-the-grid" so to speak. Maybe he's like Strider/Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings films, or John Conner in Terminator 3; maybe he's trying to run away from what he is, what he's destined to be or "supposed" to do. It makes alot of sense to me, and perhaps some event happens in his travels that makes him see that he's needed and indeed has a responsibilty to use his powers for good in a world that desperately needs him. After all, as someone once said, with great powers comes...well, you know. (lol)

• 5 months later...

I'm a bit skeptical because Christopher Nolan is involved. Also because Zack Snyder is directing it. I didn't like Watchmen and I think the last 2 Nolan Batman movies sucked beyond sucking. So... I don't have too much faith that Man of Steel will be as epic as it should be. I'm still not too happy that they got rid of his red underpants.

Unfortunately Jimmy Olsen has not been developed much at all in his entire 70-or-so years of existance. He's been the bow tie wearing dweeb right up until just recently in which New 52 replaced the bow tie with a Justin Beber hair cut. He's still no more interesting. You can't even call him a sidekick. While Dick Grayson and Wally West grew up and evolved, Jimmy stayed the same age in his same position. He's just there sometimes. For nostalgia value.

In fact, I think the most original take on the character was from the Smallville show where he actually was in a relationship, got married, and was killed off. Better than staying stagnant.

My point is, if the new movie made him a girl, he's not important enough to get too upset over.

I think Zack Snyder might be going overboard in trying to appease all those that called him a right wing nutjob for doing 300.

huh? never heard or took that away from 300...did 'those' folks read too much into it, or see some other s****y slo-mo movie about boobs-n-freaks?

But I did hear that at one point in Man of Steel, Perry White will mutate into a 9 ft tall lobster-clawed behemoth to the tune of a Jefferson Airplane song.

Maybe im being too hard on MOS out of the gate...at least its gonna give us all something to bicker about again in the DC forum now that the nightmare of The Dark Knight Rises has passed and DCUC is dead...been quiet as a corpse in here lately.

I think Zack Snyder might be going overboard in trying to appease all those that called him a right wing nutjob for doing 300.

huh? never heard or took that away from 300...did 'those' folks read too much into it, or see some other s****y slo-mo movie about boobs-n-freaks?

But I did hear that at one point in Man of Steel, Perry White will mutate into a 9 ft tall lobster-clawed behemoth to the tune of a Jefferson Airplane song.

Maybe im being too hard on MOS out of the gate...at least its gonna give us all something to bicker about again in the DC forum now that the nightmare of The Dark Knight Rises has passed and DCUC is dead...been quiet as a corpse in here lately.

Yeah a ton of critics read into the movie way too much, but they do with a lot of movies. They saw 300 as a right wing propaganda piece pushing for war in the middle east. The Dark Knight Rises was seen as both left wing and right wing propaganda by some people. I guess people really are like the characters in south park who interpreted scrotie mcboogerballs as one thing or another. guitar.gif

Yeah a ton of critics read into the movie way too much, but they do with a lot of movies. They saw 300 as a right wing propaganda piece pushing for war in the middle east. The Dark Knight Rises was seen as both left wing and right wing propaganda by some people. I guess people really are like the characters in south park who interpreted scrotie mcboogerballs as one thing or another. guitar.gif

I understand the infectious cloud of pretention that surrounds every Chris Nolan project, but why the hell would anyone, from politico to film reviewer, try to convince filmgoers that there is any deep meaning to anything Zack Snyder does? It's truly baffling...:)