So what did you think of The Dark Knight Rises?

jjlecaros

I finally...FINALLY got to see this film. I know, I know...I'm way behind. (lol) But I had tried so hard for so long to avoid spoilers, and despite my attempts I somehow kept getting hint after hint until I put two and two together on my own.

Suspecting that Bruce Wayne was gone/dead/retired and Detective Blake might become the next Batman did not diminish my enjoyment of the film whatsoever. I do think at times Christopher Nolan tried almost too hard to make his Batman universe too realistic, but I still appreciate his efforts. It challenges my preconcieved notions about what that should look like and shows me what it could look like in the real world.

I loved Bane's character. He was very frightening and very intimidating. I didn't mind his unusual voice. What I did mind was I couldn't make out what he was saying half the time. (lol)

Seeing Bruce Wayne breaking down physically with the passage of time, knowing what his life as a crimefighter would do to one's body, was a nice touch. It further demonstrated the very human Bruce Wayne/Batman character and added a very realistic and understandable layer to Nolan's already very real hero.

This movie truly put me on edge, because it broke Bruce Wayne and Batman down to the point that everything wrong that could happen to him did; he lost his fortune, his company, his trusted butler and mentor, Alfred. He was slowly losing his health. He was losing his secret identity, his city...then Bane nearly killed him and left him to rot in a pit. It was just about as low as the character could get, and I was on the edge of my seat to see how in the world he would climb out of the mess that his life had become.

I guess I just love how Nolan pays attention to continuity and plausability, and everything (almost) has a realistic explanation, and this movie was no exception.

It was nice to see Wayne Manor rebuilt, and I loved Anne Hathaway's Catwoman. Her take is officially my favorite film version of the character.

The only potential problem I see, if they continue with the mythos Nolan has established, is that it's gonna be real hard for Blake to keep his secrets as the new Batman if the Batcave is right under this huge mansion that's serving as a boy's home.

I was suprised to see this third film in Nolan's trilogy devolve into an almost predictable, cliched comic book film at times. The first two had avoided that swimingly, and this one just seemed almost cheap in places at the end. I did like the suprise twist towards the end, how Rha's Al Ghul daughter was attempting to finish what her father had started in Gotham, but it also reduced Bane to being the thug/hired hand instead of the mastermind like so many others have mentioned. And Batman has to save Gotham from the giant fake-looking bomb? Meh...it worked for the story I guess, but...it just seemed like a Schumacher plot device all over again. But overall I do like how everything was tied up nice and neatly at the end.

I just have one question...was Alfred not in on Bruce's disappearing act? His breakdown at Bruce's "funeral" would imply he didn't, but then he doesn't act suprised when he sees Bruce alive and well at the end with Selena Kyle. Maybe he was putting on an act to help cover up what really happened, imagining and indulging his emotions had Bruce really died, as Alfred was afraid he would on so many occaisions. Oh, and I would have liked to have seen "The Bat" have more of an aerodynamic flair to it instead of it simply being a prototype aircraft painted black. I mean, it does look kinda wicked, and it fits the design of the Tumbler, but it also would have been nice for Bruce to have some artistic imput to make it more stylish and intimidating like he did the costume for theatrical purposes. But I digress...

I really enjoyed this film, and it has made me want to back up and watch the other two all over again. Sorry to revive a long dead thread. I just wanted to share my thoughts since the film made such an impression on me.

I saw it a little over a month ago finally. I did not love it nor hate it. A lot of things bugged me. Could not stand Bane's voice or look. Catwoman I loved. She nailed it perefctly as she could. Liked Blake's character too. Still think he should have suited up to help Bruce at the end. Would have been cool to see him as Nightwing since they did not want to do Robin. I tend to think yes Alfred was in on it, DB to answer your thought.

Draven