So what did you think of The Dark Knight Rises?

jjlecaros

Overall I really enjoyed the movie and felt it had some amazing performances. The end really tugged on my gut. It did feel the weakest of the trilogy and it felt like it had to take a different than planned direction due to the lack of Joker. It's still a great movie.

Pros:

The performances. This was the first time I felt Bale wasn't fully overshadowed by other actors. His surprise at Talia's reveal, his determination at the prison etc. He didn't quite feel like the batman I wanted him to be, but he was a very solid character. Catwoman was nailed perfectly, Alfred tugged on my heart with his love for the wayne family, and Blake was protrayed well.

Bane's plan. The stock exchange plan was great, he had some great set ups. Overall Bane's actions were very intimidating.

The action in the plane.

The back breaking scene.

The ending! Like it or not that whole ending from the statue, to Alfred's face when he sees Bruce made me have those things women have, what are they called? emoticons are something? It tugged at me so much and felt like both such a good closure and a hint at the future it left me both wanting to know more about blake's Batman and satisfied at the completion of Nolan's tale.

Bane was redeemed, not perfect but he was still redeemed from the last film he was in.

The Scarecrow Cameo was a great surprise.

A reference to Gordon's broken family showed his sacrifices. And potentially set up a reason for his daughter to come back and live with him.

Cons:

The design and name of "The Bat" continued a trend of Nolan's vehicles disappointing me. Even naming it the Bat-Wing would have been a good step forwards.

I felt we missed something major. We should have been able to see Blake figure it out.

Bane's voice never felt intimidating and at times felt silly.

Foreshadowing of the ending was to strong. To me it clearly recalled the strong foreshadowing int he last movie when the Joker said something to the effect of, "it is our destiny to do this forever." It made it jarringly obvious that they couldn't follow through with that.

Talia wasn't necessary. She muddied the water a bit and felt like she wasn't given enough time. The coolest thing about her character to meas always has been the destiny she had with Bruce according to her father, without it she felt like she was shoehorned, especially if she was in disguise the whole time. As CEO of Wayne enterprises, she could have possibly done global damage! She seemed to be working on a different plan than Banes, infiltrate and take over, where bane wanted to isolate and annihilate.

The League of shadows were so devoted they were willing to kill themselves for not just their leader, but Her second in command?

Where Bane, Talia, and the rest of the league really fine with killing themselves and ending the League to get vengeance on man and do damage to Gotham? what about their future plans?

The length of retirement was too long imo!

How is it that Bruce needed a brace on his legs to walk properly, but after having his bake broken and doing some set-ups he was good to go? Nolan tried to have it both ways here, and together they contradicted and invalidated each other.

Since Bane had obviously been doing some crazy crap at the stock exchange couldn't Wayne fight the hostile take over? Obviously Bane had been there to due something, did the Cops not care what he did or what his motives where?

This Batman was driven, but obviously not so much as the comics. It was stated all along this Bruce never thought of himself as "Batman" (think TAS and Batman Beyond, where he even states he calls himself Batman) he was trying to change Gotham by setting up a symbol. A hole int he logic of the trilogy is that Joker could have been blamed for those deaths more easily than batman, especially since Bruce's concern was setting up a symbol for Hope, he just tossed that aside for awhile. But that aside, understanding that this Bruce is not TAS Batman or Comic Batman goes a long way in helping my enjoyment of the movie.

I think i have rattled on a bit too much here haven't I?

I don't think Bane broke his back the recovery time was too short for a boken back with the primitive health care I think Bane knocked a vertebre out of place as we see the doctor push a vertebrae back in place like a disloctated shoulder

I don't think Bane broke his back the recovery time was too short for a boken back with the primitive health care I think Bane knocked a vertebre out of place as we see the doctor push a vertebrae back in place like a disloctated shoulder

According to them it was.The bone was petruding through the skin

well realisticly if his back was broken he'd be in a chair for quite awhile hell in the comics he was paralysed for life the only logical conclusion I can find is if he used that mechanical brace on his back to help his recovery but then he wouldn't have been able to jump the way he did in the pit

well realisticly if his back was broken he'd be in a chair for quite awhile hell in the comics he was paralysed for life the only logical conclusion I can find is if he used that mechanical brace on his back to help his recovery but then he wouldn't have been able to jump the way he did in the pit

It's a movie what did you expect? :P

well they did set a nuke off with people looking directly at the flash without any ill effects whichs is a little less realistic than Batman's speedy recovery from a broken back

well they did set a nuke off with people looking directly at the flash without any ill effects whichs is a little less realistic than Batman's speedy recovery from a broken back

WIth the city being under seige and bats in the cave, the whole thing took place over many months. I think the movie said 3. He had some time to recover. Now, I have never had a broken back and if someone comes to me with medical evidence that the time for broken back recomvery takes longer, well then I give up and I will admit the movie made a grevious, grevious mistake :)

for it to be consistent with itself. At the very least they should have toned down the "bone sticking out of your skin" stuff and have him at least fashion knee brace. it woudl have helped but without the knee brace he couldn't walk right, let along make that jump, even with a healed back, 3-5 months after already having 8 years to heal that knee, ain't going to make it magically better.

If a little girl can make the jump Bruce frickin Wayne should have been able to make it injured or not. The whole Robin thing was stupid in my opinion. Nolan basically told the fans previously that "Robin" was stupid and doesn't fit in his universe and then suddenly he is like hey I'll just throw it in there and crap on Dick's entire story. I thought that was super lame. Bats is a moron. I understand not wanting to kill the local thugs. Bank robbers, purse snatchers, ect, but with Bane and an entire army killing Gothamites pick up a gun and end this thing already. Also, the Bruce and Alfred breakup was weird. I didn't care for it too much.

Catwoman was really good. I was worried that they were going to throw her in this film and under use her (scarecrow & 2-face) but I really like her. Overall the film is solid. Not the best superhero movie ever, but not bad

• Like 1

after 3 movies he should be the batman to me. i mean batcave, batmobil, batwing and not just prototypes of awesome vehicules. to me after what happend with joker, bruce should have pushed himself even further but he lets everything go for 8 years and thats it. it still feels like he is in his first years to me. it was great in begins but now?? i dont wanna bash the movie and thats why i have two opinions on movies like this. the movie itself is good but as a batman fan its bad to me. nothing against nolan either because i have most of his movies at home. i started with dc comics when dick took over the mantle of batman. since then i got every batman comic form detective to dark knight and so on. i always knew batman from years back and the character nolan shows isnt how he is in the comics. i have nothing against change but the characters shouldnt be touched at all. switch stories, make it a twist ok but dont change the essence of the characters. thats what nolan and goyer did and to me thats lame.

no offense to anyone who likes it :-D

The 8 year hiatus as Batman was where I drew the line. Frankly I just don't think it was a good creative decision on Nolan's part. By the conclusion of TDK along with

Gordon's speech I got the impression that Bruce would remain Batman despite being a wanted fugitive, but that never materialized. So from Begins to Rises which is a decade we get a

Batman who's actual crimefighting career is less 2 years and that's being generous.

Overall I enjoyed the movie.

It took me a little while to get my bearings in the beginning of the movie. I had NO idea what the hell was going on with Bane and that crew in the plane and a blood transfusion and all sorts of mess. I definitely don't feel like it was a good enough "caper" to open the movie. It was nothing compared to the Joker bank heist in TDK, just because I really couldn't follow what was happening or why.

Once we got a little context and learned about Gotham and the time lapse, I started to get into the movie. Enjoyed the references to Harvey Dent and Gordon keeping up the lie, and the toll it took on him. I liked the reference to Gordon's family moving away, and with the time lapse I could see it as an eventual setup for the older Barbara Gordon to return to Gotham and embrace a Batgirl mantle.

I suspected Miranda Tate was Talia, and had read the online speculation about Marion Cotillard's casting, so that didn't surprise me, but for them to reveal it and kill her off in a crash minutes later didn't really give me the appropriate time to wrap my mind around the importance of the reveal or its implications for the story.

I enjoyed the Bane character and he seemed a formidable foe. The mask was frightening and made him look like a deadly leech or parasite. I liked the voice, but it did seem a little too Sean Connery at times. Was Bane involved with the League of Shadows in the comics? My extent of knowledge of Ra's Al Ghul and Talia comes from the Animated Series, where there was that Ubu guy working as Ra's/Talia's enforcer/bodyguard, not Bane. I don't care that the Venom wasn't included as Bane's pseudo-steroids. I chalk that up to trying to keep these characters grounded in a more reality-based Gotham. I loved the visuals of the football field crumbling behind the football player.

Someone said Philadelphia was used as Gotham this time? I was thrown to see certain parts of NYC used, and glimpses of several subway stations where I could take the 4/5/6 or B/F trains. Thought I also glimpsed the Empire State Building, but I could be wrong. I prefer Gotham to not be identifiable as some other city, so this really threw me.

Anne Hathaway was a highlight as Catwoman and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about her characterization. She was wildly unpredictable, but not in a "I don't know how to write this character" kind of way. She was multi-faceted and quite a performer, especially in how she threw herself in a corner and started wailing and screaming like she was a victim in the scenario when the cops burst in, when she was moments earlier a perpetrator. Leaping out of the window of Wayne Manor was a classic scene for me. I like that Catwoman just wanted a clean slate and a fresh start, which she achieved, but I guess I was missing the "just can't help herself" aspect of the character, but I guess that could happen to ruin Selina's developing relationship with Bruce overseas.

Alfred seemed a bit much in this movie. He had a lot of emotional scenes and speeches that made him a little more overbearing than I've ever seen him before. I get it, Alfred cares deeply for Bruce, but I always took Alfred to be more of a "let him make his own mistakes and figure it out on his own" kind of guy when it came to Bruce.

Thought the end was a little hokey. I would NEVER expect a happy ending for Batman, end of a trilogy or not. This was the sunniest ending I have ever seen for anything related to Batman, including the 1960s tv series.

John Blake was a big question mark to me, I thought the orphan story could make him a Robin-like character to Batman but for his first name to be Robin I thought he would become the sidekick. On further reflection, I feel like it was more symbolic of it just being the next person to take up the mantle of Batman, and how Gotham would somehow always need that symbol of justice. If he was intended to be "Robin", I would have preferred they revealed his name to be Tim Drake, as it's not that far away from "John Blake".

And of course I loved everything involving Morgan Freeman.

I rewatched the first two movies and while I felt that "Begins" overall theme was facing fears, and "The Dark Knight" was about the value and price of the truth, the theme for "Rises" isn't as clear. Redemption? Letting go? I still don't know.

and lets not forget, catwoman had no whip. i mean what the heck is up with that. thats like batman with no cape.

that bothered me too it seems all the villains were missing something Scarecrow was missing his scythe and hat,Bane was missing his Venom & Joker was missing the famous joker venom and acid squirting flower

and lets not forget, catwoman had no whip. i mean what the heck is up with that. thats like batman with no cape.

that bothered me too it seems all the villains were missing something Scarecrow was missing his scythe and hat,Bane was missing his Venom & Joker was missing the famous joker venom and acid squirting flower

A few of those wouldn't have worked within the context and tone of the films. It would look

nonsensical had Scarecrow suddenly showed up with a scythe and hat. I believe Nolan could

have made the Venom work in the case of Bane and some type of Joker acid for Joker had he

wanted to. A whip of sorts could have worked for Catwoman, possibly but then again Nolan had to

be convinced in incorporating her into the film. While I enjoyed Nolan's run immensely he kind of

lacks imagination in his translation of some of the villains.

How does changing the characters origins and removing unnecessary villain accessories mean Nolan lacks imagination? If anything, his alterations to the characters was unique and fresh. The non-inclusion of Joker-fish just makes the films seem more grounded in reality. I would argue that the fans who can't imagine Bane without Venom or can't get over "Robin" being a guy named John Blake are the ones lacking imagination.

• Like 1

How does changing the characters origins and removing unnecessary villain accessories mean Nolan lacks imagination? If anything, his alterations to the characters was unique and fresh. The non-inclusion of Joker-fish just makes the films seem more grounded in reality.

Because IMO particular traits and attributes are inherently associated with particular types of characters, Batman's rogues

in particular. And when adapting them its not unreasonable for fans to expect something more associated with said villain.

Joker/Clown motif

Ra's Al Ghul/Lazarus Pit/Immorality

Two-Face/physical and psychological duality etc.

And while Nolan did offer his unique interpretation of the characters he utilized, IMO he became to focused on the heighten

realism thus making some of the characters lack much of what makes them so interesting to their comic and animated

counterparts. As I previously stated, Jonah Nolan had to convince his brother to include Catwoman because he was a bit

skeptical that she could work in his world, which is nonsensical given the fact that this is a trilogy about a man dressed as a

rubber bat. Another realm I feel that Nolan lacked imagination on was some of the design aesthetic, but that's more of a personal

thing. I wouldn't have mind a slight costume modification or more visually appealing Batcave. I'm not saying get all Schumacher-esque,

but something more sleeker than the previous films. The fights could have also been more interesting as well.

I would argue that the fans who can't imagine Bane without Venom or can't get over "Robin" being a guy named John Blake are the ones lacking imagination.

Nah, I wouldn't necessarily say that either seeing as though criticism of the series doesn't inherently hinge on a lack of imagination . Nolan could have easily added or kept a

few things in connection to the source material and maintained the tone of his films. Scarecrow was able to utilize his fear toxins. I'm sure Nolan could have fabricated some

type of chemical derivative for Bane that would serve as a Venom like substance. Same with "Robin" though given the ending I'm not sure how effective a "beat cop" would be

without the training needed to be Batman, but i digress.

I liked it, I think even better than the 90s era films (sacralicious) it was a kool movie, nice way to wrap it all up. It was worth the dent in my movie moneys.....

I finally got to see it, I enjoyed it but I thought it was gonna be better, the good aspects were Liam Neeson's Cameo, Gordon, the back breaking, Blake's character, Alfred's character up until the break up. In my opinion the length of the movie hurt it, it felt slow at times, and the fights could have been choreographed better especially the Batman/Bane ones. While I didn't expect Bane to be exactly like he was in the comics I was disappointed with his portrayal, the methodical and intelligent aspects of the character were handled well but I expected a more physical character he looked off and out of shape, plus the voice was horrendous every time he talked it took me out of the movie I kept thinking about General Grievous. I too felt using the League of Shadows was off since we kind of got a repeat of the plot from Begins. Also the plot holes which I won't get into because they have been discussed already which normally don't bother me because it's a movie but I went with this movie with a lot of people and critics saying it was so realistic especially compared to other superhero movies. To me it was good but personally not as great as some made it out to be of course everyone has their opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

If 'Dark Knight Rises' Was 10 Times Shorter and More Honest

http://www.cracked.com/article_20012_if-dark-knight-rises-was-10-times-shorter-more-honest.html

I met you a long time ago, and I could tell by the look in your eyes that you missed your dead parents. So I deduced that you dress like a bat and beat up criminals.

JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT

Yeah well, when he got half of his face blown off by he-who-must-not-be-named, that's when he TRULY died. Inside.

TOM HARDY

Transhfer all of thish money to a thing. It will take eight minutesh, which I mention only to create a continuity problem when we transhition from day to night in that shpan of time.

Some MONEY is transferred, but that doesn't matter, what matters is that they escape on MOTORCYCLES! And CHRISTIAN BALE has one of those! Forty-five minutes in, CHRISTIAN BALE in his RUBBER SUIT emerges!

MARION COTILLARD

Christian, I know you and I are in some kind of awkwardly established business relationship, but I think you and I should sleep together.

TOM HARDY

At lasht, Liam Neeshon's plan will come to fruition! Even though Gotham ish basically fixed now, I will complete the plan to deshtroy it!

ANNE HATHAWAY

So the plot of the first movie, but less coherent this time?

JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT

Wow, look at how this city has turned. I guess Occupy Wall Street is just a bunch of idiots who are paving the way for terrorists to destroy the country.

JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT

Oh my God, look at the TV! Hardy has released all of Gotham's prisoners except for you-know-who! I dare not speak his name, but he's a smoker and a midnight toker getting his lovin' on the run, if you catch my drift.

CHRISTIAN BALE

That bastard! Would you mind punching my spine back into place? Because that's how spines work.

PRISONER

Sure, I'll just dangle you from a rope and when your feet touch the floor, you can walk again. At least that's what I learned pre-med at Ohio University.

MARION COTILLARD

That's right! I am actually Liam Neeson's daughter, a surprise to nobody familiar with the character!

GARY OLDMAN

Wait, don't leave! All of the prisoners are still free! And we need your money to rebuild the city! And what about the Jok-

JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT

DUDE!

JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT

Uh, is there anything for me? Check under my legal name.

SECRETARY

Oh my God, big reveal time! What's your legal name? Jean-Paul Valley? Terry McGinnis? Dick Grayson? Jason Todd? Tim Drake?

JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT

Robin.

SECRETARY

What? No.

MICHAEL CAINE

But who's goin' to be Batman now, Gordon-Levitt? He wears a bicycle helmet in his next movie.

CHRISTIAN BALE

Maybe the next Batman could, and I know this is a crazy thought, actually draw more than character names and politics from the comic books that define him? You know, the ones that everyone loves and completely reinvented the industry?

• Like 1

Blake wasn't going to become Robin. He was taking up the mantle of the Bat. So he's not Robin; he's Batman. Nolan stayed true to his word, and he didn't discredit or mock Robin or Dick Grayson (who isn't the only Robin, by the way).

Blake wasn't going to become Robin. He was taking up the mantle of the Bat. So he's not Robin; he's Batman. Nolan stayed true to his word, and he didn't discredit or mock Robin or Dick Grayson (who isn't the only Robin, by the way).

Well to throw in my $.02. The Blake tie in was pretty much influenced by Jason Todd- Father was a criminal, mother unknown, thrown in an orphanage. In the end it didn't matter to me. What made me enjoy the movie, was finally understanding it as an "elseworlds" story.

None of the Nolan Batman movies were true to the source material, these were all just re-interpreted versions with a heavy Frank Miller influence. I remember reading in one of the letter pages, I think batman 408 about a guy who wrote in hating Batman Year one b/c Miller had tv's and catwoman was a prostitute, and doesn't he (miller) know that there were no tv's in 1939 when batman first appeared.

I think its pretty much what its come down to,... DC has no faith in the appeal of their original comics mythology, so they'll keep doing these "elseworld" stories in their hope to stay relevant. The Nolan movies were good, but in the end its just not Batman to me.

regards

Joshua

PS- As an elseworlds story, I do like the idea of Bruce moving on and having a happy ending with catwoman.

What made me enjoy the movie, was finally understanding it as an "elseworlds" story.

None of the Nolan Batman movies were true to the source material, these were all just re-interpreted versions with a heavy Frank Miller influence. I remember reading in one of the letter pages, I think batman 408 about a guy who wrote in hating Batman Year one b/c Miller had tv's and catwoman was a prostitute, and doesn't he (miller) know that there were no tv's in 1939 when batman first appeared.

I think its pretty much what its come down to,... DC has no faith in the appeal of their original comics mythology, so they'll keep doing these "elseworld" stories in their hope to stay relevant. The Nolan movies were good, but in the end its just not Batman to me.

regards

Joshua

PS- As an elseworlds story, I do like the idea of Bruce moving on and having a happy ending with catwoman.

That's the gist of it. While the potential was always there for Nolan to create a series of Batman films that adhered more to the source material. I can

easily respect Nolan's take as an Elseworld interpretation, despite the fact that some would try to argue that its the definitive cinematic take on the

character. If anything his adaptation meshes more with Batman Inc which would have made much more sense to adapt.

I finally got around to playing Arkham Asylum and starting Arkham City...great stuff.

Makes me wonder why people seem to feel like they must buy into The Dark Knight Rises with such superior outside-of-the-comics work out there...obligation because its the last part of a trilogy? These universally praised, cinematic-feel games make this movie seem tired right outta the gate.

I finally got around to playing Arkham Asylum and starting Arkham City...great stuff.

Makes me wonder why people seem to feel like they must buy into The Dark Knight Rises with such superior outside-of-the-comics work out there...obligation because its the last part of a trilogy? These universally praised, cinematic-feel games make this movie seem tired right outta the gate.

Hype and the tendency for masses to jump on any hype bandwagon may contribute to why

so many buy into TDKR, some even had their minds made up prior to the release. When the

hype wears off and the film starts to seep in then some will eventually start seeing TDKR more

objectively. This is precisely why I see it more as a Nolan superhero film than a Batman film.

There's so much source material, though. How many of us have actually read Detective Comics #27 from 1939? Is that what you wanted? Cause some would. But my guess is people want one of a many different Batman origins/stories they grew up with or enjoyed most. Do you want an amalgamation of them all? Do you want the best elements taken from each? Or do you want one with no deviations at all? The character has evolved over the years, so there isn't one Batman you could pick from anyway.

I guess I just don't understand the "he's unfaithful to the source material" stuff. I hate when things are changed just for the sake of change, but, for instance, calling John Blake's character Dick Grayson or Tim Drake or Jason Todd would have totally distracted a vast majority of audiences from who the character was supposed to be. He would have been pigeonholed into something else than Nolan wanted to use him as.

If the Venom or whip weren't vital to the story of Bruce Wayne (which is what this trilogy is about), Nolan wasn't going to include it. I guess if you think Scarecrow isn't more than a scythe, Catwoman isn't more than a whip, and The Joker, who is the best villain in all of fiction, isn't more than an acid-shooting flower, we see the characters completely differently. That stuff reminds me of the people who said Rachel Weisz shouldn't play Catwoman or Angelina Jolie should because of the respective sizes of their breasts. It doesn't get more ridiculous than that.

• Like 2