So what did you think of The Dark Knight Rises?

jjlecaros

I just think people were reading too much with John Blake being Robin. Basically it just means that his full name is Robin John Blake. Doesn't mean he wears colorful tights or a tool for Batman to dodge bullets.

It's only a nice nod to Batman's sidekick Robin, that's it.

After seeing it twice all I can is this is the only reason why this isn't better than The Dark Knight is because of this:

...I honestly did not see the Talia thing coming but I thought it was great and made sense. League of Shadows again? Yes, again! They were a key part to the first one and bringing them up again made the series feel like it came full circle (a lot of good stories do this). The "full circle" element was also accomplished well with flashbacks to the first film, Crane, and Ra's ghost showing up.

It would've been totally full circle save for one character, and we all know who that character is.

In the context of this trilogy, The Joker ruined Bruce Wayne's life. Nolan made it appear like he didn't exist and basically insinuated that Harvey Dent was the cause of all of Gotham's misery, which, as we all know, is completely untrue.

I get why the filmmakers did it, but it was the wrong decision. Bringing up the fact that The Joker was responsible for Rachel's death and driving Dent insane, or hell, what happened to him after he was arrested, is in no way exploiting Heath Ledger's memory.

I wonder how the Joker would fit in if Heath had not died. The third film was originally going to be about the Joker - the second one was about Dent.

On a small scale that Judge Scarecrow thing would've been the perfect spot for The Joker. No disrespect to Cillian Murphy but that cameo just didn't feel right.

On a larger scale? Well, in many adaptations Joker has taken it very personally when someone else tries to bring down Batman. I'm sure he would've had issue with Talia and Bane but now we're talking Spider-Man 3 muddled mess of villains here. I was happy to see Talia and Bane get some much-deserved respect for the great Bat-Villains they are.Still, regardless of this Joker situation, a very excellent film.

• Like 2

After seeing it twice all I can is this is the only reason why this isn't better than The Dark Knight is because of this:

...I honestly did not see the Talia thing coming but I thought it was great and made sense. League of Shadows again? Yes, again! They were a key part to the first one and bringing them up again made the series feel like it came full circle (a lot of good stories do this). The "full circle" element was also accomplished well with flashbacks to the first film, Crane, and Ra's ghost showing up.

It would've been totally full circle save for one character, and we all know who that character is.

In the context of this trilogy, The Joker ruined Bruce Wayne's life. Nolan made it appear like he didn't exist and basically insinuated that Harvey Dent was the cause of all of Gotham's misery, which, as we all know, is completely untrue.

I get why the filmmakers did it, but it was the wrong decision. Bringing up the fact that The Joker was responsible for Rachel's death and driving Dent insane, or hell, what happened to him after he was arrested, is in no way exploiting Heath Ledger's memory.

I wonder how the Joker would fit in if Heath had not died. The third film was originally going to be about the Joker - the second one was about Dent.

On a small scale that Judge Scarecrow thing would've been the perfect spot for The Joker. No disrespect to Cillian Murphy but that cameo just didn't feel right.

On a larger scale? Well, in many adaptations Joker has taken it very personally when someone else tries to bring down Batman. I'm sure he would've had issue with Talia and Bane but now we're talking Spider-Man 3 muddled mess of villains here. I was happy to see Talia and Bane get some much-deserved respect for the great Bat-Villains they are.Still, regardless of this Joker situation, a very excellent film.

+1

cgb.jpg

Maybe this isn't relevant to anything, but it appears TDKR weekend receipts isn't even going to come close to those who will not be named.

Too bad. DC needs a win big time.

It could of been more if this idiot in Colorado never did what he did

ANYWAYS

I haven't seen the movie yet and won't read the rest of this thread but I want to know...Is Bane the same as we know him? Does he use chemicals to become this powerful being?

Maybe this isn't relevant to anything, but it appears TDKR weekend receipts isn't even going to come close to those who will not be named.

ANYWAYS

I haven't seen the movie yet and won't read the rest of this thread but I want to know...Is Bane the same as we know him? Does he use chemicals to become this powerful being?

Tragedy or not, it looks like TDKR wasn't gonna make it anyway.

As it pertains to Bane, he's not a Venom-induced freak but he is an addict and, more importantly, a criminal mastermind that is physically and mentally on the same level as Batman.

• Like 1

To be fair, The Dark Knight Rises is made by an experienced director together by an experience movie studio unlike the movie who will not be named. Box office means nothing but money. Dark Knight Rises is a way better movie and has deeper meanings than just explosions. I thought TDKR schooled the studio who will not be named in every way. Besides money of course.

If Heath had lived, I would think that the Joker would be behind the chaos as oppose to Talia and Bane. Considering that everyone Batman was close with knew his identity, I would surprised if the Joker knew Batman's identity but kept it to himself since there would no fun in telling.

I suppose it's impossible not to bring up Ledger's Joker no matter what. Understandable since it was so good and left such an impression.

I do think it's fine that he's not even mentioned in the movie. Maybe if I was in charge and I got a performance that was so good and so complete the way they did from Ledger in DK, given what happened, I may just want people to remember that performance within the context of that one movie. Let it stand on it's own and let DKR stand on it's own. (I don't know if that makes sence to anyone). But yes, I imagine as time goes by and people look at the trilogy as a whole and see the second as the best largely because of that performance. Just like people see Empire Strikes Back as the best because you get bulk of the character development and the mythology from that film.

Speaking of trilogys, gonna be a long time before we get something comparable to the Nolan Batmans. First off you'd need three movies, each of which rates from great to excelent. We don't have that yet...even from the franchises that HAVE made it to three. Spider-Man might have, but as we all know, 3 was terrible. Even if Iron Man 3 turned out to be the best superhero movie ever made, you have IM2 that had too many missteps and missed opportunities, so that franchise is out of the running. And while I don't hate the X-Men movies as much as some seem to, they don't come close to this.

Couldn't care less what DKR makes and who it beats at the box office. Those numbers are only temporary anyway and no one ends up remembering them. I have no burning desire to see Avengers knocked off. I liked that movie a lot for different reasons.

You will have to forgive me. I dont often use bellyache. Mine never does. I thought the movie did mimic Knightfall comics, There is a comic that appointed Bane Ras' second in command and Talias mate. After he beat Batman. Joker did have an origin in the Killing Joke. The writer of Hush Returns used it in that story too.

The key word is "definitive." I read the Killing Joke, too: "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice! Ha ha ha!" Maybe you should try reading it again?

Nice try, Snidely.

Snidely+Whiplash.png

If I drink enough beers my past is multiple choice. I've read it a few times it is good. Did you read the story were the Joker tries to track down his wife killers?There was also some graphic novel about the joker that had evidence of it. Of course with the new 52 it could change again.You were right about No Man's Land. A friend of mine pointed that out. That the SC courtrooms scenes look close to that of NML,

My top hat is white and my mustache is red.

I loved the movie much more than I thought I would. I thought Talia was perfect and I will admit to having low expectations for Anne Hathaway who really nailed the character. While they did tweak certain things like Bane's origin I thought this movie was just about on the same level of greatness as TDK. Also, can't understand the hate towards the Judge Scarecrow cameo? I thought Crane was one of the best parts of the movie! My hat goes off to Nolan, Oldman, Caine and JGL!

ANYWAYS

no unfortunately he doessn't use chemicals to become more powerful he has a chemical respirator to inhale a form of pain medication due to damage done to his face

To be fair, The Dark Knight Rises is made by an experienced director together by an experience movie studio unlike the movie who will not be named. Box office means nothing but money. Dark Knight Rises is a way better movie and has deeper meanings than just explosions. I thought TDKR schooled the studio who will not be named in every way. Besides money of course.

I never said The Avengers was a better movie. It's not. In fact it's not even close.

I'm just saying DC needed a win. Preferably a more public win.

• Like 2

I never said The Avengers was a better movie. It's not. In fact it's not even close.

I'm just saying DC needed a win. Preferably a more public win.

I think it's a hype thing

Looks like it did about $160 millon. Not an official number as WB has apparantly chose not to release it out of respect for what heppened. Highest grossing 2D movie, third only to 3D movies Avnegers and Harry Potter. Pretty good.

• Like 1

I had no problem with Bane having a mask with out reason. Did they explain the Joker scars? no. IMO this movie was closer to the comics than the last one.

Could that be because the Joker never had a definitive origin, comics and/or TDK? dry.gif

which comics was this one closer too? oh, that's right, the huge graphic novel, "The Dark KnightFall Returns to No Man's Land" dry.gif

I enjoyed this movie without belly acking.

It's "ache" - and one word partnered with "belly"

Feel free to share and disagree with an opinion as snidely and as backhanded as you wish!

Ackbar_HS.jpg

I HAVE A BELLY ACK-BAR!

You will have to forgive me. I dont often use bellyache. Mine never does. I thought the movie did mimic Knightfall comics, There is a comic that appointed Bane Ras' second in command and Talias mate. After he beat Batman. Joker did have an origin in the Killing Joke. The writer of Hush Returns used it in that story too.

It's not a definitive origin per se. If you remember in "The Killing Joke," it the J likes the best.

saw that movie last night. what a let down. what a lame interpretation of these awesome characters. no wonder that so manny still love this movie since not a lot seem to read comics anymore and dont know squad about these guys except the names. ok for the normal movie goer i can understand that the movie itself is great but for comic fans its just lame. at least to me it was.

• Like 2

saw that movie last night. what a let down. what a lame interpretation of these awesome characters. no wonder that so manny still love this movie since not a lot seem to read comics anymore and dont know squad about these guys except the names. ok for the normal movie goer i can understand that the movie itself is great but for comic fans its just lame. at least to me it was.

I liked the movie and I'm a comic book reader...

Batman, of all characters , has been one of the most differently interpretived one out there.

Just look at all the different versions of him in the comic books!

It was more than close enough to the source material to be welcome by comic book readers in my opinion.

• Like 3

I liked the movie and I'm a comic book reader...

Batman, of all characters , has been one of the most differently interpretived one out there.

Just look at all the different versions of him in the comic books!

It was more than close enough to the source material to be welcome by comic book readers in my opinion.

yeah sorry but to me bruce wayne is kind of lame here. he takes 8 years off because of a harveydent law?? sure he has rachel on his mind well crime hasnt stopped since then. he could have fixed his leg anytime or fox could have visit him in 8 years for that matter. then logan oups i mean bruce has a great healing factor. i dont know how long he was in that cave but wow he healed fast, lol. also he tried 3 times before he made that jump. he should have done it the first time around to show he is something different. no he has to take advice from a guy who doesnt really has much to care with his life. in my head bruce is way smarter then this. when he came back to fight bane for the second time, he didnt learn anything new. so why did he beat him this time and not the first time around?? bruce to me is clever and he doesnt leaves things like the thumbler around in office buildings. why does he have a batcave then? the batcave, why dont we have an awesome batcave in this movie. this batman isnt the batman i know. then alfred leaves bruce by himself thats not the alfed i know. then this whole robin thing was a huge bummer because dicks story is so great to me that i dont see the need of this. bane is just a bodyguard who does things for talia. so he isnt the criminal mastermind. he is just a pawn who fell in love. same as bane with ivy. he is just the arms of the lady. as for "the bat" it flies and makes noise, thats it. there was a moment where he shoots at thumblers and nothing really happend then catwoman comes along on the batpot and with just once shot, the thumbler goes byebye. also when that bomb went off, i was waiting to see a fridge coming right at us, lol. well i didnt like it. as a movie it is good but my batman has to be better then this.

• Like 1

It was a fantastic movie. Emotionally powerful, much more so than the the first two. It was better than I expected, and I expected a lot.

Most of the complaints I've heard on the interwebs sound like complaints from people who either don't like Christopher Nolan, his Batman movies, or both. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course, but most of those opinions seem biased for those reasons. Very few seem like legit reasons for giving a movie low marks.

• Like 2

I DID NOT like this movie. Started off good kinda. I mean batman goes away and bruce is not seen for 8 years who could not put that together in the real world.Catwoman was good but bane was lacking something. Then the long 3 or 4 months period where bane says someone will blow up the bomb if they leave just so happens gives bruce time to heal friggin comeon. It felt like bane breaking batman should have been in the start of the flim. I feel this movie was poorly edited and poorly put together just to have another batman film.

They could have had a better villin(riddle) which could have done the same thing bane did. It was not all bad But far from the first 2, Alfred leaveing what a croc. and now its like every ones who the hell he is again come on. the ending really made me just upset. bruce and selena rideing off in the sunset reallyyyy? boo noland boo sir. this could have bben the ending of all ending but no once again we are givein crap thank god for avengers

• Like 2