Okay, now I'm really confused...

Devilbat

I just happened to catch X-Men Origins: Wolverine on FX, and at the very end, we see Charles Xavier sans wheelchair, walking off of his helicopter to greet the newly freed mutants. Now...I was under the impression that X-Men First Class took place within the continuity of the previous films, and in that movie (SPOILER ALERT) we see Xavier paralyzed at a much younger age, way before the events in Wolverine. Was this a big flub, or were they indeed trying to reboot the movie continuity with First Class?

It was a big flub.

XMFC is also out of continuity with X-Men the Last Stand in which old Charles (who's WALKING) and Magneto go as a team to recruit young Jean Grey in the very first scene.

In reality, the last three X-Men movies don't fit together in any way. But since XMFC was good, we forgive.

That's a continuity error and it was widely criticized, you could say that First Class was a reboot of sorts but I never came across any official word that it was a reboot then again I wasn't really that invested in First Class until I saw it in the theater. To me it felt like a prequel, an origin story of how the Xavier/Magneto feud came to be.

I don't consider it out of continuity. How many times in the comics has Xavier been in a wheelchair and then walking again only to be back in a wheelchair again? It's just as confusing as the comics.

I liked wolverine, not to in continuity but 100000 times better than x1, x3, and first ass lol. Oh when Marvel get back the movie rights? Also why does the new spidey look like he belongs in a twilight movie?

The movies don't follow the origin of the characters in the comics in any way. Well they did take a stab at Wolverine.

If they were to do a remake of the movie they should start with the original X-Men team of Beast, Angel, Iceman, Cyclops and Marvel Girl. Once they establish these characters they can introduce their main enemy Magneto with his established brotherhood of evil team.

If you ask me I would've presented a 3 part script where film 1 would introduce the first team, at the end everyone is captured except for cyclops and professor x. In the second movie cyc n prof recruit new members for a new team to save the old team. Finally the third film would show the raise of Apocalypse and his 4 horsemen.

There is also the whole Emma Frost issue. She is a child in Wolverine Origins, yet is an adult in X-men First Class. Big continuity issue there. Unlike the Prof X debate, however, Fox can simply retconned the girl in WO as another character because her name isn't mentioned in the film

dude. don't try to make any sense or reason out of any of Fox's Xmen movies. They are all pure garbage. Whoever wrote them is an idiot. Seriously, I can't believe anybody that worked on these films has a job in Hollywood. The actors were pretty good, and that's about it.

I hate the Fox X-franchise with a passion. The worst comic movies of all time IMO.

and it won't be any better in the futurer. Even if XFC was a reboot, it's some stupid world where Havok is Cyclops' much older brother. FACEPALM!

the really sad thing is that Marvel will never get the license back, so there will never ever be any good X-men movies

It could have been a hologram or image in their mind and him really there

It was basically Brian Singer pulling the same trick he pulled with Superman Returns. As producer of First Class, he selectively chose which movies it would "fit in" with and which it wouldn't. In short: He decided that it would (mostly...with one notable exception) fit in with X1 and X2 (the movies he directed) and ignored XMO: Wolverine and X3 (which he had nothing to do with).

If you look at it that way, the only continuity conflict comes in the "Cerebro" sequence when we see what appears to be child versions of Storm and Cyclops. X1 was set in "the not too distant future" in 1999. If Storm and Cyclops were preteens in 1965 (the First Class timeframe), they'd be pushing 40 or 50 by the time of X1, not the 20-somethings they appeared to be. And no, contrary to what some people claim, there's never been some official "slow aging" phenomenon among mutants. Or at least that only applies to certain mutants (Mystique, Wolverine, Sabretooth, and Magneto most notably) and not others.

There is also the whole Emma Frost issue. She is a child in Wolverine Origins, yet is an adult in X-men First Class. Big continuity issue there. Unlike the Prof X debate, however, Fox can simply retconned the girl in WO as another character because her name isn't mentioned in the film

Yeah, also they never explained why kid Emma wasn't as wooden as January Jones

I was under the understanding that as an astral projection he just projected himself walking/standing. And you JUST saw the movie?!?!

(lol) No...I've see it a few times actually. I just don't think I had seen the ending since I've seen X-Men: First Class, and it dawned on me that Xavier should have already been in a wheelchair, if you went by the First Class continuity...

I was just under the impression that all of these movie were somewhat coordinated continuity-wise. Same actors, same writers in some cases and what-not. Heck, they even built the premise of X-Men Origins: Wolverine around the flashback scenes we saw in the first X-Men film and used the WIlliam Stryker character from the second one. But I see from some of the inconsistencies you guys have pointed out, they've not adhered to a single continuity very tightly, have they.

I like these movies in the sense that they're not high art...that's the mistake many fanboys make, they're expecting oscar-winning movies. Could comic book movies be oscar worthy? Of course, just look at the Christopher Nolan Batman films. They can be incredible. But I still enjoy them when they're not. I would have liked for the X-Men films to be tighter continuity-wise though.

I don't think I hate X3 as much as some others but they did make some questionable choices that make it hard to go forward. Killing Cyclops AND professor X, taking away powers of some of the key characters.

Magneto was shown to slowly regain his powers at the end so it's quite possible the effects were permanent on any of the Mutants that fell victim to those silly darts but one thing really bugs me about those darts is that the needles were metal so couldn't Magneto have stopped the Anti Mutant troops dead in their tracks.