GI Joe Trooper Retaliation

yojoebro82

I got him today, pretty solid figure and happy with the purchase overall. A quick review:

Plus

Like the head a lot and the two helmets he comes with.

He as the full amount of articualtion including double jointed knees, the newer swivel wrist that have the extra joint, and new ball jointed ankle articualtion (nice).

A good amount of accessories, most of which can fit in the pack. I originally thought that pack was just one moulded piece, glad it's not.

I wanted the cape to be cloth (like POC Dusty) at first, putting it on him, it looks pretty cool.

Minus (all of which have to do with Hasbro cutting costs [and yet raising the price for the customer])

No stand.

No file card.

$10.

Plastic seems cheeper, more bendy, particularly at the knees and with the back pack. This is a particular problem with the knees because they seem more wobbly. He CAN stand on his own but you notice its not as sturdy.

Like I said, I'm happy with the purchase overall, he's probably the best of wave 1. Had the figures been cheeper, I'd try to army build him. As it stands, I'll probably come up with a code name for him and make him an individual character for my Joes.

Also, I noticed something on mine that kinda makes me think I have a variant of some sort. On the back of the package it gives the description of the character (kind of a half-@$$ version of the file card?) It normaly reads, "The GI JOE TROOPER is armed for action with enough weapons to win any battle! With his mask and survival cloak, he can withstand the most brutal battle conditions on Earth."

However, the one I have has something extra added at the end:

"The GI JOE TROOPER is armed for action with enough weapons to win any battle! With his mask and survival cloak, he can withstand the most brutal battle conditions on Earth. With his shovel, he can help Paramount dig the grave of the GI Joe brand!"

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

I found the tan version I was looking for today at Target. I saw 2 of them. At TRU and Walmart I had only seen the blue one

Plastic seems cheeper, more bendy, particularly at the knees and with the back pack. This is a particular problem with the knees because they seem more wobbly. He CAN stand on his own but you notice its not as sturdy.

The plastic quality seems pretty bad on these figures. I noticed it on my ninja showdown figures too.

Meh, I think then I'm just going to get The Rockblock. After all that's the only one from this line I really wanted to have. Thought about getting 1 or 2 Troopers as well but it' seems to be just too overpriced.

Noodles

This is the only Retaliation figure I have picked up so far and really, the only one I plan on picking up. With the level of detail and decent accessoriesm, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was originally intended to be a POC figure at some point. Maybe a revamp of a character like Grunt or someone.

Mine is the blue cloaked version. I saw the tan cloaked version after I'd already purchased the blue one, but didn't want to pay $10 for a second figure.

The only flaw I've noticed is that his legs are different colors of plastic above and below the knee joint. Not super noticeable, but still definitely indicative that these figures were not given the full attention they deserved.

Love his weapons, however. He can carry everything on him at once (except the alternate head). While the paint isn't quite what it should be, this guy can stand with the best of the POC/ 30th anniv. figures.

I got the blue one here in Ak, (my guess is the only one that will ever show up at our stores in Juneau) The moment i saw him i kept thinking Mirage! I imagine his suit and his blue cloak have the same tech as wraith/Zartan, specifically the blue cloak could be used to conceal his gun! Whatever you use him as, he looks great.

I hope everyone that wanted this guy got him. I don't see people getting a second shot at him, unfortunately. At least this year. One week after these guys hit and I can tell who's going to be dangling on the pegs for the next few months; their high prices driving off anyone with a passing interest: Roadblock, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Duke. No restocks on thw way.

I hope everyone that wanted this guy got him. I don't see people getting a second shot at him, unfortunately. At least this year. One week after these guys hit and I can tell who's going to be dangling on the pegs for the next few months; their high prices driving off anyone with a passing interest: Roadblock, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Duke. No restocks on thw way.

yeah, I am really glad that I found the tan one. I see it as one of the gems of all of GiJoe from the last couple of years. And they are dang hard to find too.

I went to Walmart and TRU and they only had the blue ones. Then I went to Target and the had the tan one. I liked it so much, I ordered 5 from Target.com hoping to get more tans. But instead, they sent me 5 blue ones (I returned them)! So at least for me, the tan ones are pretty scarce, and I don't know if they are going to be tan or blue when they come back next year.

anyhow, I have an extra blue if anyone is looking. And even the blue one looks to be pretty rare now, I haven't seen it since the street date

on a related note, I have only seen the black CC in stores, but Target.com sent me a blue one

And even the blue one looks to be pretty rare now, I haven't seen it since the street date

"Gem"? Hmmmm....I don't know if I'd go THAT far. A good figure, for sure. But I don't know if ANYTHING gets "Gem" status as long as Hasbro has their cost cutting practices in place (no base, no FC) I'm very discriminating these days. But, again, he's a good figure.

I don't know if I'd have bought the blue one if I'd have seen it. The blue cape throws everything off ,IMO.

I'm glad I happened to have last Monday off. Everything was available then (though Joe Trooper was the only guy I got).

Here's hoping he's available again next year...

I found a blue one but I don't know if I want to keep him. He's not as good as the tan one but I COULD do a GI Joe version of Tomax and Xamot in my Joeverse...have them be kick-ass twins who the others can only tell apart by thier capes. Yeah, it's cheesey but if you don't like it, do something else :D

Picked up the only one I ever saw from K-Mart and it was the blue version. Overall, I do love this figure and its nice to get alot of normal weapons instead of settling on a few and a big gimmick accessory like missile launchers or zip lines. Also a plus that most of the extra gear stores on his backpack. The big minus of this figure is the lack of a good figure stand. I have him geared up and his backpack makes him top heavy where I can't get him to stand up or at least stand up for too long.