Hasbro Updates Us On The Status Of G.I.Joe Retaliation Toys

The Wire

This is not good imo. I don't know what will come from this but retailers I am sure will not be happy about this. This is a hard blow for the GI JOE franchise toy wise. As crappy as I think most of the toys were, it is still going to be hard to get them into stores for a long time after this I fear.

Draven

@loll@

Just what I suspected......grab up what's out now kiddies, because it's limited and won't be back until early next year. Brilliant way to make crappy looking toys suddenly seem worth buying after all? ;)

Maybe Hasbro could throw us a bone and re-release a few of the POC and 30th annv waves that barely saw life at retail??

Y'know, I think this partially blind-sided Hasbro and right now they have no idea what to do. They can't sell movie tie in toys without the movie and it takes 12 to 18 months (or so we keep on getting told) to produce a line. As much as I've seen people complain about Hasbro canceling the Renegades and 30th line, no such thing happened. We didn't get two figures (Kwinn and Data Viper) one of which we were told we weren't getting a long time ago. In truth the only thing we have gotten that we didn't know anything about was the Renegades Storm Shadow (including Red Ninja Repaint) and Snake Eyes for the Amazon boxed set, because both of those look to be completely new sculpts that we hadn't seen before. I figure Joe Con should be really interesting this year and if we don't get a lot of answers there then this line is in a holding pattern until next Jan or Feb (since it seems like Hasbro puts out movie lines about a month of so before the movies release date). AT worst we'll get a line of repaints or Frankensteined figures to hold us over, maybe even some re-released figures. Paramount screwed up and they need to be the ones accountable.

Maybe Hasbro knows what they are doing afterall. Think about it for a second... Retaliation figures are put off until january or February but they gave collectors just enough to interest them after the months of empty pegs and bare shelves. Now, they trickle in some of the movie tie ins and get some negative feedback right? Well, the movie gets pushed back until March of next year, and a lot of people are buying up these "overpriced" and "lesser quality" figures because they know that they're going into hybernation for a while. What are Joe collectors to do? Oh yeah, that's right... Hasbro is starting a subscription service this year selling figures for around $20 each. Now with the pegs and shelves empty, and collectors ALWAYS wanting something new, how many people will now sign up for the subscription and spend more just to have new additions to add to their collections. Now the people who said they wouldn't pay $10 for the movie figures will not only go out and buy them now, but a lot more people will buy into the subscription to get their fix. With no toys in the stores, the sub will get more and more buyers. What else do collectors have to spend their money on? They'll justify the $20 price tag on each by saying that they would have spent that much on movie figures and vehicles over the next couple months. How many people over on the "I won't do it..." thread are now saying they went out and bought the figures because they'll be hard to find over the next months until next year? A LOT that said they would never buy them and pay the new $10 price. I'll admit it, when the movie figures (one case) showed up at my local Walmart, I bought 2 figures that I wanted, Zartan and Red Ninja. Then, after hearing about the release of the movie changing, I sent my husband to get the trooper figures, both Joe and Cobra. The more and more I think about this though, the more it stinks to me. I will never believe the 3D stuff. I mean., think about it, how many movies are NOT released in 3D any more? I HATE 3D, and many times local theaters (here anyway) do not even show movies in 2D anymore. I have to wait until most movies come out on Blu Ray before I even get to see them. Add to the fact that I wear regular glasses (I can't wear contacts because the lenses are uncomfortable to me (I have a scratched retina and it bothers that) and I am also allergic to some of the chemicals in certain contact solutions), so the 3D glasses never fit or are never comfortable. But I am getting off the subject. Just think about the timing of all this along with the timing of the subscription and the complaints of the movie figures being overpriced. It all seems to coincide just a little too well to me. I could be wrong though... Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time.

@loll@

Just what I suspected......grab up what's out now kiddies, because it's limited and won't be back until early next year. Brilliant way to make crappy looking toys suddenly seem worth buying after all? ;)

Or not. I just saw a set of Retaliation figures for the first time today. I still passed.

I'm not blaming Hasbro for this. They'll be sitting on product they expected to be selling to retailers for a good 7 months. Meanwhile, as for as the general public goes, there will be no GI Joe on store shelves. Out of sight, out of mind. Not good at all. Good job, Paramount.

I just don't think we'll see any relereleases of the POC or 30th. Look at how long shelves and pegs were empty already. It just looks to me like the subscription will be the only way to get new Joes for a while. That and the Dollar General figures. I don't know about most, but the pegs at m,y local Walmart were empty since before Christmas... roughly 6 months. Will Hasbro really beat themselves up to fill them before January? Roughly 7 months?

what the hell does "G.I. Joe is an ongoing consumer franchise and therefore there is merchandise available to consumers" mean ???

I wish they would just make a straight statement. Either tell us that you are not shipping any more product and there will be nothing on the shelves for 9 months or tell us exactly how much product you are shipping to the stores. Like wave 1 and 2 will be available.. or... come on man. Hasbro, this is amateur

I know they don't have anything else to fill the void... good thing they decided to end the 30th line so soon, after they had barely shipped any of the last 2 waves, and that they made those dollar store figures instead of a regular wave..

somebody should be fired for this

Straight arm vs. swivel...

Your first ever Joe...

Your favorie Christmas/birthday Joe memory...

Storm Shadow: Good or bad?...

Your favorite Dreadnok...

Your default Snake-Eyes...

Who leads your Joe team, Duke or Hawk...

Cobra Commander: used car salesman or Cobr-La citizen?...

Big Lob: Why all the hate?...

...OH, sorry, y'all. Don't mind me. Just getting a list of vintage topics together. Gonna need to keep this place from turning into a ghost town.

#US1#

Straight arm vs. swivel...

Your first ever Joe...

Your favorie Christmas/birthday Joe memory...

Storm Shadow: Good or bad?...

Your favorite Dreadnok...

Your default Snake-Eyes...

Who leads your Joe team, Duke or Hawk...

Cobra Commander: used car salesman or Cobr-La citizen?...

Big Lob: Why all the hate?...

...OH, sorry, y'all. Don't mind me. Just getting a list of vintage topics together. Gonna need to keep this place from turning into a ghost town.

#US1#

Awesome! That's funny! I'd rather talk vintage Joes anyway. You know what just struck me as funny as well... I just went back to the TNI homepage and saw the "action figure poll" question concerning whether or not the new GI Joe movie will be any good after seeing the trailer... How many people are voting "don't care" now?! lol

#US1#

I think you're already too late. ;)

• Like 1

what the hell does "G.I. Joe is an ongoing consumer franchise and therefore there is merchandise available to consumers" mean ???

I take it this has nothing to do with the figures that are at Dollar General? I have about 15 DG stores in my area and not a single one has these figures. I even checked a store out of state at my Aunt's town and they don't have it. This merchandise that is supposed to be available to consumers just isn't available to Midwest consumers...

I take it this has nothing to do with the figures that are at Dollar General? I have about 15 DG stores in my area and not a single one has these figures. I even checked a store out of state at my Aunt's town and they don't have it. This merchandise that is supposed to be available to consumers just isn't available to Midwest consumers...

Maybe they mean there are still plenty of these out there?

51q32-ptRzL.jpg

In SC here no Dollar Generals have any. I hit every store in 20 miles (7 or so)

(lol) I went looking earlier this evening, and I did find the Retaliation motorcycle figures at TRU, but that was about it. Target has this big gaping hole on their shelves where the new G.I. Joe stuff was supposed to be. There are even j-hooks with the prices on them. It was pretty depressing, to see the bare space and knowing that they may be delayed for some time to come. I did however get a good Joe fix by getting a 30th Anniversary Skystriker on clearance for seventeen bucks.

I saw for the first time today a set of Retaliation figures: 1 black CC, 1 Red Ninja, 1 Duke, 1 SS, a couple of SEs and a couple of Roadblocks. $6.97 price tag. I left them there and headed out. I thought about them all the way out the door. What if they're worth big bucks becasue of this debacle? I turned back and went for the black CC. With him in my hands on the way to the register I went over the pros and cons:

"You have a million Cobra Commanders"

"He's the black variant"

"He's not movie accurate"

"He'll be worth a lot"

"His accessories and articulation are lame"

"He's only $6.97"

When I got to the registers a lady in front of me was waiting on a price check. When it was my turn, he rang up $8.99. I told them the sign said $6.97 and the cashier offered to send someone to look. Another price check wait. I said forget it. I left him there.

Maybe I'll look on ebay someday and live to regret it. But I'm looking at my Renegades Storm Shadow above my computer now, something tells me I'll be OK.

Ha ha...I thought I was the only crazy person to obsess over my collecting purchases incessantly lika that!! It's as if you've been in my mind and know my insanity. I suddenly feel more normal. (lol) I've debated back and forth in my head whether or not to get something exactly like that at times, only I usually get whatever it is I'm obsessing over thinking I could just return it later with a receipt if I changed my mind. There are times though when I'll grab something without hesitation having wanted and/or looked for it for absolutely ever and I never look back. But sometimes there's...a mental struggle. (lol)

I'll have to admit though...I caved and bought the Amazon exclusive "sneak-peek" set thinking they might skyrocket in price over this whole mess. I was on the fence about getting it anyway, but then I figured they'd sell out quick with so many people looking for Retaliation figures since they would no longer be available at retail, not at least until next March any. I've been in complete Retaliation mode lately, and now that the proverbial rug's been pulled out from under me, it's made me want to seek out the figures even more, them being the only outlet for my interest outside of the trailers and comics.