GIJoe Retaliation Moves From June To March Release Date Because of 3D

The Wire

They can say all they want about want to make the 3D versions better, but it was because of Battleship. No doubt in my mind, they saw that movie flop and freaked out. What's actually funny is that Battleship was very successful overseas and has pretty much made it's budget back from just those totals. It just flopped in North America. The comparison between those movies for me is that actually want to see GIJoe.

Remember the only reason Battleship flopped in the states was because of The Avengers.Battleship did come in second as far as earnings go but come on..who's going to watch Battleship over the Avengers.I've read some reviews and so far it's 50-50.I have not seen Battleship yet but i still stand by my opinion that Battleship's trailer is better than Retaliation's and i think Paramount may have felt the same way.Us Joe -heads may choose to watch Retaliation over Battleship but i think the younger,CGI generation would have flocked to see Battleship instead.

not at all. Avengers is crushing it, but Battleship just looks like a horrible movie. Most people that wanted to see Avengers have. Are those people going to see Battleship now? no.

Battleship looks like a Transformers rip off.. and those movies have been garbage lately too..

Battleship sucks and that is not Avengers fault. You think it looks good and you haven't even seen it lol

Why is everybody saying that Battleship bombed.I think it held its own against a juggernaut like The Avengers.

because it made 25 million and cost 260 million.

most movies hope to make back at least half of their money opening weekend.

I'm old and out of touch I guess? I've yet to see a movie in 3D because I think it's annoying and gives me a headache. Is it REALLY that big a deal with younger movie audiences? If so....it's not like it was invented just yesterday and they want to incorporate this newfangled audience attracting gimmick to their as yet unreleased movie at the last minute. Seems pretty lame to me, but like I referenced earlier "same sh@#......yadda yadda yadda".

Maybe it's a marketing tactic, to boost the sales of the expensive toys for the first month or so, making the fans think they're going to be cancelled and rare or something, so they go out and buy all of them up in a panic over it, and then they'll have another breaking news story that the movies been moved up to August? @hmmm@ @loll@

I saw Avengers in 3D.. and I wish I saw it on a regular screen. it was pretty unnecessary and at times made viewing difficult

I don't know if this is going to hurt GI Joe or not. I hope someone at Hasbro gets the toys back and holds onto them until next year. All I know is that I am @##@@ PISSED!

fgde.jpg

For the record, yes. Avengers was awesome in 3D and yes, it can make a difference depending on the movie. I'm not sure if GI Joe needs it though and now I fear for a repeat of The Last Airbender and Clash of the Titans. 3D thrown in at the last minute and it comes out fuzzy and bad

They can say all they want about want to make the 3D versions better, but it was because of Battleship. No doubt in my mind, they saw that movie flop and freaked out. What's actually funny is that Battleship was very successful overseas and has pretty much made it's budget back from just those totals. It just flopped in North America. The comparison between those movies for me is that actually want to see GIJoe.

Remember the only reason Battleship flopped in the states was because of The Avengers.Battleship did come in second as far as earnings go but come on..who's going to watch Battleship over the Avengers.I've read some reviews and so far it's 50-50.I have not seen Battleship yet but i still stand by my opinion that Battleship's trailer is better than Retaliation's and i think Paramount may have felt the same way.Us Joe -heads may choose to watch Retaliation over Battleship but i think the younger,CGI generation would have flocked to see Battleship instead.

not at all. Avengers is crushing it, but Battleship just looks like a horrible movie. Most people that wanted to see Avengers have. Are those people going to see Battleship now? no.

Battleship looks like a Transformers rip off.. and those movies have been garbage lately too..

Battleship sucks and that is not Avengers fault. You think it looks good and you haven't even seen it lol

I said i think Battleships trailer is better than G.I. Joes trailer.You think Battleship sucks and you haven't even seen it lol

I said i think Battleships trailer is better than G.I. Joes trailer.You think Battleship sucks and you haven't even seen it lol

well, like I said.. sometimes you really can tell that a movie sucks. I can tell from the trailer and that it is starring Rihanna that it sucks. Well, that is just my opinion. But also, the movie only has a %34 rating on rotten tomatos. Avengers has a %93

also, I think the trailer was bad. it looked like the same bullcrap as transformers.

and finally, the movie was released 2 weeks after Avengers. That should be enough time for it to have it's own audience. And I totally blame the failure of Battleship on Battleship itself. And that Hasbro/Paramount got scared by this failure and decided to pushback GiJoe

I agree with Clam. Battleship did not look good and he can tell you i am way to forgiving on movies according to him @loll@ I think if it was any good 2 weeks would have given its own audience too.

Draven

I'm old and out of touch I guess? I've yet to see a movie in 3D because I think it's annoying and gives me a headache. Is it REALLY that big a deal with younger movie audiences? If so....it's not like it was invented just yesterday and they want to incorporate this newfangled audience attracting gimmick to their as yet unreleased movie at the last minute. Seems pretty lame to me, but like I referenced earlier "same sh@#......yadda yadda yadda".

Maybe it's a marketing tactic, to boost the sales of the expensive toys for the first month or so, making the fans think they're going to be cancelled and rare or something, so they go out and buy all of them up in a panic over it, and then they'll have another breaking news story that the movies been moved up to August? @hmmm@ @loll@

I saw Avengers in 3D.. and I wish I saw it on a regular screen. it was pretty unnecessary and at times made viewing difficult

I saw it in 2d I hate 3d and don't know why this big thing from the 50's is so popular now

I personally really like 3D but agree it's overused. I think it's big again now because now they have digital formats to make it in that don't require the usual red and blue glasses (Which I welcome very much) and frankly these days, theaters are desperate for a gimmick that gets butts in the seats and this works.

I get the feeling my sister will love to see The Rock and shirtless Storm Shadow in 3D :P

I don't mind this 3D buzz - I'm not a fan but I don't hate it neither. But if it's delaying the release of a movie I'm desperately waiting for to be released, then that's not cool. I could really do without having to wait almost another year to watch this and then wearing 3D glasses in cinema.

I hate to play devil's advocate but doesn't this increase the chance of leaked movie footage or even pirated copies of the movie in it's entirety having a complete film sitting around for a whole year waiting to be released?

I hate to play devil's advocate but doesn't this increase the chance of leaked movie footage or even pirated copies of the movie in it's entirety having a complete film sitting around for a whole year waiting to be released?

Anther potential way Paramount is screwing themselves with this whole debacle.

I can see a lot of fanboys with the attitude of: "Paramount screwed me by delaying the movie so I'm going to screw them by seeing it pirated and not give them money".

Not right, of course, but I can see it happening.

hasbro should really change the name into hasblow. it makes sense, lol. once the movie is released and it flopped, i can allready hear that one dude in the office say "good that we made it in 3D or else we would have lost way more money" then the other 20 idiots around the table agree and say yeah damn "fans" you know the little niche market.

Seems like all the wave 1 stuff will end up being rare for a long while. Which is sad, most of it is not worth that cash! I'll buy a Joe trooper and red ninja if I see them again I guess but the rest I don't care about.

Draven

lol yeah... and I wouldn't blame anyone for getting the bootleg instead of waiting 9 months..

I have no sympathy for Hasbro right now.. I can't believe how much they have continually tried to kill the Joe franchise for years.. and we are always here to pick up the pieces and help them get it back going... I am tired of their BS.

lol yeah... and I wouldn't blame anyone for getting the bootleg instead of waiting 9 months..

I have no sympathy for Hasbro right now.. I can't believe how much they have continually tried to kill the Joe franchise for years.. and we are always here to pick up the pieces and help them get it back going... I am tired of their BS.

Why would Hasbro do this? This is possibly going to cost them lots of money.They have toys that are now sitting i store stockrooms and if this was them who would believe them the next time a movie toy based on their toys come out? Stores won't order anything from them thinking i'm not ordering these to have them sit because Hasbro may pull out again

Here's one way to look at it. Fans will be fans, no matter what. But they don't make the bulk of the money for the companies, the reg movie goers do. If Paramount plays it hand right, and seeing how they were promoting GI Joe pretty well, couldn't the delay actually help them when it does finally come out? I mean, think about it... people hear the movie that was pushed back 9 months is finally coming out, they start building the hype, they start hyping it up and BAM! There ya go... or, yeah, it could be hyped up, then people go see it and it does suck and then it's an even bigger loss... but I've always been an optimistic person, lol.

I'm more or less just indifferent to any of this. I'm not disappointed, because it's not really that big a deal to me anymore. The movies haven't been of much interest to me, so a delay in it's release is no big thing. The whole action figure collecting aspect of it has being waning for several years now, between escalating price and increasing difficulty in finding (without some extra effort and expense involved) it has all diminished the enthusiasm over it. These days, it's just a matter of old fans (old friends) kicking around the latest development and disaster known as Hasbro's G.I.Joe line. ^_^

Well, I've been reading some things here and there, and I'm actually beginning to get over my disappointment and actually be a little encouraged, because I've concluded that, if what I've read is true, Paramount pulling the movie can hopefully only mean they've realized from early screnings that it was gonna be a so-so movie like the first one, and perhaps they're actually taking some more time to make it better. I've read rumors that they're shooting new scenes as well as reworking others, but that could also mean they're just sticking in new shots that are conducive to the 3-D technology, and that would suck if true. You can always tell when watching the 2-D versions of films when there was supposed to be this "in-your-face" shot, and in 2-D it just looks gimmicky and cheesy. But I've also read rumors that the studio sees Channing Tatum (!) as more of a viable lead due to some of his recent successes (The Vow, 21 Jump Street), and perhaps he's been given an expanded role. But y'know, I take all of this with a grain of salt. It may be true, it may not be. Who truly knows at this point? I will say if that last part is true, then it would prove ironic considering the back-tracking that was done for the original animated movie where Duke was killed-off in an early version, but then due to parents complaining about the death of Optimus Prime they changed the ending to include Duke surviving and coming out of his coma. Now that's assuming he's killed in Retaliation like the trailers seem to imply, but everyone, including the director, seems to play coy when asked the question, understandibly so.

When it's all said and done, the fans will only be more excited to see it later, it will build more hype this way I think, because let's face it, we will all be curious as to whether or not it was actually worth the wait and the reshoots and delays, and perhaps it will be an even better movie that it seemed to be shaping up to be. And the delay in toys will allow some of us to concentrate on other lines that we might have neglected in the meantime. It's a win-win in my book all around. Did I want to see it this summer? Of course I did. But I can wait a few more months. It's something to look forward to after everyone has forgotten about the summer season explosion of popcorn flicks.

Ill say it again and again, they kill Duke and I won't even see it. Having the Crock in it is bad enough for me personally. Duke goes bye bye and so do I. Some characters should just be off limits, Im sorry!

Draven

I just got back from watching the Avengers(which was freaking amazing BTW) and i laughed when one of the trailers they showed before the feature presentation was of G.I. Joe Retaliation still being advertised to be released this June LOL!

Another thing...we have gotten so many sneak peaks and images for G.I.J. R up to this point.Imagine how many more will be released in a years time.We should seriously be able to mash up enough images by then to complete the entire film before its release.My point is that by then I'll inevitably be up to my neck in G.I.J. R images that nothing will seem new to me if i eventually do see the film when it is released a year from now.

Just got back from seeing BATTLESHIP and I thought it was a damn good flick. Who needs a G.I.Joe movie when we've got Expendables 2 coming out!! ^_^