GIJoe Retaliation Moves From June To March Release Date Because of 3D

The Wire

What was wrong with putting it out in August? March 2013 is too far away for a movie that was only weeks away from being released.

because they probably can't finish the 3D in just a couple months. And if they just pushed it back to push it back, people would think that they moved it back because it sucks.

No one really believes this bogus 3D excuse, right? I mean, it's really a pile of crap.

This is not some new technology. You decide whether or not your movie is in 3D far in advance. This is not a last minute decision.

Why NOT wait one month...two months if you're so worried about OTHER movies affecting yours. ONE YEAR???

Advice to Paramount, if you want the BIG stars to want to be in GI Joe 3, maybe DON'T have guys like the Rock and Bruce Willis waste their time in front of a camera doing interviews to promote and hype a movie that won't be out for a year. Similarly, I can imagine Bruce on a show like Letterman one year in the future, finally promoting GI Joe 2 before its opening (assuming he's not busy promoting his next movie that makes it out on time): "Yeah, I play Joe, ummm.....Joooeee, uuhhh Cole? COULSON! Yeah, yeah, Joe Coulson. And he's like the original GI Joe. Sorry Dave, I forget a few things, it has been two years since I actually filmed this movie."

Fools.

• Like 2

Aw man...this is a huge disappointment. I've slowly been getting more and more excited about this movie over the past few weeks, and for some reason I saw a hint of Retaliation in The Avengers if I squinted just right, and that got me excited even more to see it. *sigh* I really hope this is mis-information and/or they change their collective minds over at Paramount. Good grief...

They can say all they want about want to make the 3D versions better, but it was because of Battleship. No doubt in my mind, they saw that movie flop and freaked out. What's actually funny is that Battleship was very successful overseas and has pretty much made it's budget back from just those totals. It just flopped in North America. The comparison between those movies for me is that actually want to see GIJoe.

35ec6x.jpg

What was wrong with putting it out in August? March 2013 is too far away for a movie that was only weeks away from being released.

because they probably can't finish the 3D in just a couple months. And if they just pushed it back to push it back, people would think that they moved it back because it sucks.

Which is quite unfortunate that a film only a month away from release will now be delayed almost an entire year because they decided to

tack on a cash grab gimmick at the very last minute.

What a disappointment. All the photos, interviews, the social game, toys, etc leading up to this and now the rug gets pulled. It's hard to believe it could be because the movie's a stinker, but this surely doesn't help its prospects at all. All the momentum and hype is lost and now this puts GI Joe as a toy brand in a really sucky position. I'm thinking the shelves will be bare for a LONG time, or else they'll be clogged with wave 1 of the movie line.

I heard that some of the figures are out

This is just my testimony, but I did see the Retaliation toys at my local Walmart. What is sad is that while I wasn't too into the toys, they did make me get geared up for the movie. I was really hyped for what looked to be a better Joe flick than the original.

And now what though? @grumpy@ ...this completely killed my anticipation for the movie. What Joe fan wants to wait nearly a whole year now until the movie is officially released?! Quite the stupid move if you ask me...I'm not buying this "3D" excuse either.

I saw a few 4" figures today and some kind of large figures that sound gimmicks yesterday. Walmart is ready to sell these and Target is getting ready, having put some older stock on clearance. This is such a bad idea. While perhaps, in my opinion, a touch bland, G.I. Joe Retaliation looks like it could be a pretty good movie. This movie is not going to be The Avengers, and it's not going to be a Transformers movie, but I don't think it would be an utter failure either.

If we thought ROC figs clogged the pegs, or POC destro, we are in for a whole knew thing. I'm curious to see if retailers start dropping the price now to start moving them through.

They can say all they want about want to make the 3D versions better, but it was because of Battleship. No doubt in my mind, they saw that movie flop and freaked out. What's actually funny is that Battleship was very successful overseas and has pretty much made it's budget back from just those totals. It just flopped in North America. The comparison between those movies for me is that actually want to see GIJoe.

Remember the only reason Battleship flopped in the states was because of The Avengers.Battleship did come in second as far as earnings go but come on..who's going to watch Battleship over the Avengers.I've read some reviews and so far it's 50-50.I have not seen Battleship yet but i still stand by my opinion that Battleship's trailer is better than Retaliation's and i think Paramount may have felt the same way.Us Joe -heads may choose to watch Retaliation over Battleship but i think the younger,CGI generation would have flocked to see Battleship instead.

If the 3D thing is true then you have to wonder why they didn't do it in the first place.Are there funds available to them now that weren't there before that are allowing them to make the jump to 3D?

First off, the 3D thing is NOT true. Come on, I mean what a lame excuse. They didn't know 3D was a big deal after Avatar?

The Avengers is the real reason. Avengers rocked and they want GI Joe to do the same thing. Who cares about Battleship? It's a stupid concept anyway. A movie about a board game? I think seeing it flop did raise some eyebrows.

If Hasbro did not have their say, I smell a lawsuit.

They missed the boat. I'm bummed now. The only thing worse than this movie wise would be if Hobbit or Dark Knight were postponed.

The buzz is dead now and all of cash spent on promoting is gone.

I just can't believe that so much hinges on the success or failure of OTHER movies.

You decide to put your movie out in the summer? OK, well guess what, summer is FILLED with superhero movies that are going to make money. It will be this way forever. I never expected GI Joe to make as much as Avengers and no one else did either. There's also going to be stinkers that bomb completely....Like I say, just have some faith in your product to do well on its own and you wont have to worry about movies that have nothing to do with this one.

What if Dark Knight Rises bombs completely? Will they push back Spider-Man? I mean, they're both superheroes, they both operate in a city. Could the audience possibly equate one with the other and decide because Batman sucked, Spider-Man will too? Of couse not! What if Batman makes a million dollars? Would that scare Spider-Man into next year?

I also would not be too worried about the movie figures clogging the shelves. It ain't like there's other stuff on the horizon that it needs to make room for.

For the record I totally don't agree with this move and do think it will back fire on them, however here is what having a 3D film does for a studio.

It gives them more opportunity to make more money. It gets your movie onto more theaters screens because now your movie is playing on at least 2 screens (if not more) as opposed to 1, a 2D screen and now a 3D screen. Second, theaters charge more for 3D screenings so more money is made per screening off a 3D movie as opposed to a 2D screening.

Also moving the date from June 29th to March 29th gives the movie a slot with less chance of competition. GIJoe would have opened on June 29, and likely taken the number 1 spot for it's opening weekend and then quickly knocked out the following weekend by Amazing Spider-Man. Come next March it's going to have far less competition to deal with and I am sure they are hoping more money can be made from the film then, which is probably true.

The reason why I still think its a bad move though is as follows.

The message this move sends to people is that Paramount had no faith in this movie. GIJoe Retaliation was already behind the 8-ball because a lot of people had a bad taste in their mouth from GIJoe 1. Having people like The Rock and Bruce Willis star in this movie certainly helped people forget somewhat about GIJoe 1 but it was still in the back of many people's minds. Now you have this movie being pulled a month out from its release date (which I don't think has ever happened before) which just says to people that the studio thinks the movie stinks. The first movie sucked so even with Rock and Willis this one must suck too because who pulls their movie a month out from its release?????

Second, March has less competition, but there is a reason for that, less people go to the movies in March. Yes Hunger Games made decent money last March, but Hunger Games had hugely positive buzz going in. Like Harry Potter and Twilight, women, tweens (and even some men) loved the books. The movie was also just decently made and got good reviews. I hate to be blunt here but GIJOE is no Hunger Games.

Fourth, Lots of wasted marketing now down the toilets.

5th, as most of us know, GIJoe has had a pretty rough time in recent years at retail. Getting stores to keep carrying the line has been a challenge. I am sure the Wal-Marts, Targets and TRU's were only willing to carry Retaliation toys because they thought it would be backed by the promotion of the movie. That's now not going to happen initially. These stores have their stock rooms filled with wave 1 and 2 toys with no movie to promote it. I seriously doubt they will be happy about that fact. Now I don't know if retailers have an option to send that stuff back or what, but if they go on and try and sell that stuff and it doesn't move.... well movie or no movie I would not be surprised come March if retailers were very hesitant to make the GIJoe plunge again. What this could do for the overall brand to me seems very devastating.

It's not total end game here yet, if G.I.Joe Retaliation is a good movie it can still overcome, but if the movie is only moderately good or ends up being deemed another crappy shoot-em up on par with the first movie, well lets just say it could be a far more devastating blow to GIJoe than anything Cobra could ever do.

Why is everybody saying that Battleship bombed.I think it held its own against a juggernaut like The Avengers.

Cause it was panned by most critics and more importantly it only made 25m its opening weekend, thats not a lot for a summer blockbuster film.

The message this move sends to people is that Paramount had no faith in this movie.

It sends a terrible message. The Joe fans will see the movie regardless. The average person will be watching the Super Bowl and see the GI Joe trailer (again) and say, "Hey, wasn't that supposed to be out last summer? Must not be too good."

Wasn't Batman coming out about the same time? I heard people say how they think if there is one movie that might challenge The Avangers it will be The Dark Knight

Possibly Paramount had cold feet? But why all the way to next march and no i'm not believing this 3D nonsense

I'm old and out of touch I guess? I've yet to see a movie in 3D because I think it's annoying and gives me a headache. Is it REALLY that big a deal with younger movie audiences? If so....it's not like it was invented just yesterday and they want to incorporate this newfangled audience attracting gimmick to their as yet unreleased movie at the last minute. Seems pretty lame to me, but like I referenced earlier "same sh@#......yadda yadda yadda".

Maybe it's a marketing tactic, to boost the sales of the expensive toys for the first month or so, making the fans think they're going to be cancelled and rare or something, so they go out and buy all of them up in a panic over it, and then they'll have another breaking news story that the movies been moved up to August? @hmmm@ @loll@

I was at the pool with friends when they told me!! Utter crap I say!!!

Paramount should have never based a friggin movie off of a damn board game!! I mean really, come on, who the hell greenlighted this stupid idea??? It's like what is next, Chutes and Ladders?? How bout Candy Land?? No wait, wait; Mousetrap that's the movie idea that will knock out Avatar as all time highest grossing film!!!

Now as far as GI JOE, push to a winter release or something, but not all the way back to following year!!! Everything that's been said I agree with: from wasted mentum of ads to confusion over merch!!! It's just one big clusterfudge of a mess!!! Way to go paramount!!!

I'm old and out of touch I guess? I've yet to see a movie in 3D because I think it's annoying and gives me a headache. Is it REALLY that big a deal with younger movie audiences? If so....it's not like it was invented just yesterday and they want to incorporate this newfangled audience attracting gimmick to their as yet unreleased movie at the last minute. Seems pretty lame to me, but like I referenced earlier "same sh@#......yadda yadda yadda".

Maybe it's a marketing tactic, to boost the sales of the expensive toys for the first month or so, making the fans think they're going to be cancelled and rare or something, so they go out and buy all of them up in a panic over it, and then they'll have another breaking news story that the movies been moved up to August? @hmmm@ @loll@

No VH, you're not out of touch.....its because the masses are uneducated.......I saw Avatar in 3D.....after reading online how it was shot using 3D cameras, and James Cameron wanted to change the movie going experience.....honestly I was impressed with Avatars 3D....it was something I had never really seen before or experienced in a movie theater.

Then I read how many studios were just converting their films to 3D.....which was a quick and easy way to capitalize on the success of Avatar......only the 3D wasn't even close to what you experienced with Avatar.....I think Alice in Wonderland was the next movie I saw in 3D.....I gave it a chance and it was terrible.....not worth the extra money.......

The last 3D film I saw in the theater was Transformers:Dark of the Moon.......and honestly it gave me and my wife a headache.......after that I was done. That was the last movie I saw in 3D and hopefully will be the last until Avatar 2 comes out (James Cameron is legit, and knows what he's doing) I saw Avengers 4 times and all of them were 2D showings......its just not worth it.

After Avatar all the 3D converted films were riding on Avatars glory with the 3D experience.......nowadays people go to 3D just to go to it.....I've seen theaters that don't even give you the option of the 2D version......I think people go to see it in 3D because they automatically assume its going to be better.......Avengers didn't make extra money because it was in 3D......it made money because people wanted to see it.

I really think they overestimate 3D's power with box office drawing power.......

Also Battleship not performing well proved that people go to the Transformers movies to see Optimus Prime and the Autobots.......its not just mindless action that gets people in the seats.

Plus at my theater the night Avengers opened up at midnight the 2D showing sold out before the 3D showings.....they had the 2D showing in 1 theater.....3D showing was in 2 theaters.....I know this because I was standing in line and they made us shift to another theater in house for some reason....