GIJoe Retaliation Moves From June To March Release Date Because of 3D

The Wire

Movie is less than a month away... Why not release what they have and than re-release it in March in 3D?

Think how this screws stuff up because anyone knows that G.I. Joe is a Summer type movie and anyone going to the G.I. Joe Con is going to have to deal with Master Collector freaking out because they can't do their special screening... @firedevil@

This is a very odd and, I feel, dumb move. Next week marks the official release dates of the figures, so you're going to have a big merchandise push with all of these figures that kids aren't going to want because there's no movie.

Does anyone else feel that a move like this speaks to the producers lack of confidence in the film's success?

wow, I can't believe that. I don't think I have ever seen something like this done before. They pushed a movie back almost a year that was supposed to be dropping in a month!

I wonder if Hasbro had ANY say in this because obviously it's going to hurt their toy sales. So now we will have movie toys with no movie... or are they going to recall all movie toys and put them on hold for a year too? lol (but seriously, they could cancel waves that haven't shipped yet and hold them over til next year)

What a disaster, a year with crappy movie figures, cancelled kwinn, Cancelled renegades, and cancelled 30th anniversary, UGH! All for a movie that is now delayed

• Like 1

Well thank god they got most of the 30th ann toyz out before all those lackluster carded, less articulated, slightly more expensive movie toyz hit the stores! :huh:

In all fairness I like some and I (stress some) of the Retaliation figures.Ok,the Articualation sucks,true but the look of this figures look great.This is a majoe pooch screw on Hasbro's part.Moving the film to March of Next year?Where's my Renegades Stormshadow.

Holy balls! My jaw actually droped when I read this. W. T. F.?????

To me this is a whole seaparate issue from the toys. I was genuinely looking forward to this movie. How are they going to push it back a year????? Everyone knew this was coming out, fans, the general public, and I think a lot of people were excited for a BETTER movie than the first. Now it's going on the shelf. Thanks for the big "F- you", Paramount.

Wow.

You know, it's going to be VERY interesting to see what actually does happen to the toys. They're either already made , or on deck. Chances are they ain't cooking up a whole new batch for when the movie DOES hit. Will they come out as scheduled? Seems hard to believe they wouldn't have movie related stuff to go along with the movie when it does come out. Or will they be pushed back? In which case you can expect a big old GI Joe void...probably for the rest of 2012.

What a complete F up.

• Like 1

I blame Rihanna. Or actually, whoever cast her in Battleship. You can't have Rihanna in a good movie. Battleship looked like a joke. Battleship tanked. The movie studio got scared that GiJoe would tank too and they made up this lame "we need to make it 3D" excuse.

I blame Rihanna. Or actually, whoever cast her in Battleship. You can't have Rihanna in a good movie. Battleship looked like a joke. Battleship tanked. The movie studio got scared that GiJoe would tank too and they made up this lame "we need to make it 3D" excuse.

You know, saddly, that's probably a pretty valid assumption(and Battleship does look terrible) . For God's sake, Paramount, have some faith that your product will stand on it's own merrits!

You know, it's going to be VERY interesting to see what actually does happen to the toys. They're either already made , or on deck. Chances are they ain't cooking up a whole new batch for when the movie DOES hit. Will they come out as scheduled? Seems hard to believe they wouldn't have movie related stuff to go along with the movie when it does come out. Or will they be pushed back? In which case you can expect a big old GI Joe void...probably for the rest of 2012.

I'm actually curious about what will happen to the toys too. I already spotted the singles, hiss tanks, and 3-packs at my local TRU. I wonder if they'll keep receiving more stock or if it will just get delayed until next year. Also makes me wonder if they'll go through with the comic-con exclusives.

Oh and it's also kind of a surprise that this movie wasn't made in 3D to begin with.

What a complete F up.

I've heard some conflicting reports on the toys. Some sources are saying the release of the toys got pushed up to NOW, while I've heard other rumors suggesting the toys will be recalled and released at a later date. Most retailers have these in their stock rooms and many have already released them. I believe the original "official release date" was next week. I'm sure Hasbro wants them to go on and be released but the question is will the large retail chains want to put them out when they find out the toys will no longer have a movie backing them for promotion???? Hopefully we will hear official word from Hasbro soon on the status of the toys.

What a complete F up.

I've heard some conflicting reports on the toys. Some sources are saying the release of the toys got pushed up to NOW, while I've heard other rumors suggesting the toys will be recalled and released at a later date. Most retailers have these in their stock rooms and many have already released them. I believe the original "official release date" was next week. I'm sure Hasbro wants them to go on and be released but the question is will the large retail chains want to put them out when they find out the toys will no longer have a movie backing them for promotion???? Hopefully we will hear official word from Hasbro soon on the status of the toys.

I'd imagine they may get released as planned. Hasbro and Retailers were already planning on having the product out there for the rest of the year. Retailers will be pissed about the lack of movie promotion and the product may sell like snails going uphill, but we'll see. I'd also imagine Paramount may end up paying Hasbro a serious chunk of change for all the #$## they're going to have to deal with because of this.

the "official" release date stamped on the cases is May 28th, just 5 days from now, next Monday. So I have a hard time believing that Hasbro would be able to get any stores to stop selling what they have in the back room.

Even if they sent an emergency notice out to Walmart or whatever.. what are the chances that Walmart would be proficient enough to get that word down to their department managers, who would in turn have to get that word to the stock people, who would then have to know exactly where to find the product. In short, Not going to happen.

now that I think about it... I haven't seen a Retaliation commercial on tv for a while. So they must have already known they were going to can it.

but honestly, I think it definitely is because of Battleship. Battleship cost 260 to make and earned only 25 in it's first week. Around the world it has earned back it's money though, just barely.

Avengers, by comparison, cost 300 to make and has earned something like 1.2 billion total.

Still, I think it was a mistake to push it back. I think that Rise of Cobra earned it's money back, and that was without big names like Bruce Willis and the Rock. I know that I was thinking this one looked miles better than the first. And if you look at the schedule, it was opening in a weekend that didn't have any big action movies. However, maybe they were scared that GiJoe was going to get crushed by Spiderman (7/3) just like Battleship did by Avengers

I think its a lot of factors and yes its a big shock to me. Battleship and Spiderman may be partly to blame. I just can't help but wonder if this won't kinda kill the movie though. WIll people even care that wanted to see it in June that are not die hard Joe fans. Better have some big build up to it next year.

I too think Hasbro must be pissed about this.

Draven