Mystery DC character about to be turned gay

yojoebro82

This topic has moved past DC and is now a discussion on homosexuality. That has no place on the DC toy board, it belongs in general. Im not saying close the topic at all, but lets try and keep the boards on topic. Besides this is a very powerful topic that elicits a strong opinion. As this is a family board and DC in particular would attract children we have to ask ourselves if this topic is appropriate for that board now that it has morphed beyond DCs change in character.

As this is a family board and DC in particular would attract children we have to ask ourselves if this topic is appropriate for that board now that it has morphed beyond DCs change in character.

really? family board? DC is making an old character gay...now, none of us know exactly how that's gonna work in the context of superhero storytelling, but however it goes down, have fun explaining the same deep concerns and questions raised by the subject matter we've gotten into here to these "children."

I dont see how any of this discussion, aside from the short detour for Kids in the Hall love, is off topic or inappropriate...this is what society and DC Comics wants after all, right? good press, bad press, attention and money...oh...uh...i meant to say "equal rights."

Batmobile+Queer+3.jpg

KIDS PROGRAM!

goodiesgenie3.jpg

See if this kept up with discussing the gay character then I agree its DC. but you have to admit the topic has morphed beyond that. Again I dont want to see the topic deleted, and general is much more liberal a board.

As this is a family board and DC in particular would attract children we have to ask ourselves if this topic is appropriate for that board now that it has morphed beyond DCs change in character.

really? family board? DC is making an old character gay...now, none of us know exactly how that's gonna work in the context of superhero storytelling, but however it goes down, have fun explaining the same deep concerns and questions raised by the subject matter we've gotten into here to these "children."

I dont see how any of this discussion, aside from the short detour for Kids in the Hall love, is off topic or inappropriate...this is what society and DC Comics wants after all, right? good press, bad press, attention and money...oh...uh...i meant to say "equal rights."

Batmobile+Queer+3.jpg

KIDS PROGRAM!

goodiesgenie3.jpg

Is that Andy Kaufman as the genie?

See if this kept up with discussing the gay character then I agree its DC. but you have to admit the topic has morphed beyond that. Again I dont want to see the topic deleted, and general is much more liberal a board.

This topic has moved past DC and is now a discussion on homosexuality.

So, going this route, we're supposed to view the news only as something to have a fun little character guessing game over? Cool. you might as well have just killed the topic.

Batmobile+Queer+3.jpg

Thanks, these panels help put some stuff in perspective. No matter who they turn gay, can it be worse than Miller's latest version of Batman? Can ANYTHING??? He must be the most powerful man in comics to get an editor to green light that garbage.

• Like 1

Thanks, these panels help put some stuff in perspective. No matter who they turn gay, can it be worse than Miller's latest version of Batman? Can ANYTHING??? He must be the most powerful man in comics to get an editor to green light that garbage.

posted more to illustrate the family appropriateness of comics in relation to this board's family oriented content, but, yes...Nothing could be worse than the GODDAMN BATMAN! "I just f***** the Black Canary in public, CUZ IM THE GODDAMN BATMAN! now zip up b**ch and dont make fun of my car, CUZ IM THE GODDAMN BATMAN! We need to find Dick Grayson and yell at him for crying over his parents that were just murdered in front of him, CUZ IM THE GODDAMN BATMAN! I dont care that it's not the 90's, i want Jim lee on pencils, CUZ IM THE GODDAMN BATMAN!"

whoever the outed DC character is gonna be, he definitley wouldnt want to be around to be bullied by THE GODDAMN BATMAN!

Though this has already been moved, I want to bring it back to the original topic. Shazaam was mentioned many pages back as a possibility and I feel this opens up a new can of worms. How old is he in the New 52 as Batson? I can see a few people being more upset with someone making a younger kid gay than an adult. Not that it doesnt happen in real life. Someone my wife knows felt that way at 7. Still, I feel it would make it more controversial.

Though this has already been moved, I want to bring it back to the original topic. Shazaam was mentioned many pages back as a possibility and I feel this opens up a new can of worms. How old is he in the New 52 as Batson? I can see a few people being more upset with someone making a younger kid gay than an adult. Not that it doesnt happen in real life. Someone my wife knows felt that way at 7. Still, I feel it would make it more controversial.

Shazaam could make for some interesting story material, maybe not your typical superhero fare, but interesting psychology behind it

Shazaam could make for some interesting story material, maybe not your typical superhero fare, but interesting psychology behind it

So I see that Capt. Marvel's getting mentioned alot as the gay character... I think its pretty funny that DC is crapping on Fawcett again. It's bad enough that they ran the company out of business, then bought the character cheap, chased away the original artist, changed his name to Shazam! (which is stupid), and finally have made the character gay, for no better reason then cashing in on media attention.

I'd have much more respect for the company if they took one of their own classic creations like Martian Manhunter or Green Aarow and made them gay, c'mon a boxing glove arrow?? really?!

If they make Billy in his late teens, it's no more controversial than Wiccan and Hulkling over at Marvel. Though the "transforming into an adult" bit is a little weird.

See that is where I disagree, it isn't genetics but behavioral and it can be cured. I know many people are going to be in an uproar and say it isn't something to be cured but I believe it is, sort of like bad behavior. God knew what he was doing when he saw Adam and said man should not be alone and created a female. True romantic feelings can never be the same between the same. Men have something to offer that women to do not and the difference makes the perfect piece of the puzzle, men and women compliment each other in ever natural way possible, it is written in nature and it is written in the laws of God directly to man. As for your friend, more people should of tried to help him rather than banning him, there are places where men/women are cured and don't ever look back.

There is only a couple of times I ever heard about somebody changing..Years ago Boy George and another band member had a fling but he left George a few years later and married a woman and they had kids

The same thing happened on the lesbian side Ellen DeGeneres's old girlfreind married a man and had kids

I don't think they were "cured" I think they were Bi

Boy George did originally have a girlfriend before becoming famous, the drummer was John Moss and yes once he left the band he was straight from there on out. It can happen and it does, I don't believe a person is naturally bi, just confused and unresolved.

There was a guy on the Howard Stern show who says he was cured and now goes around helping others, it can and does happen, there is a CURE!!!

I still don't know about a cure I just think its who they are

I agree wih WJ it is just who they are. As for the guy who claims to be cure of homosexuality, I find it hard to believe! For one thing it is the Howard Stern show - the guy gets anyone from the street just for ratings. Secondly, homosexuality isn't exactly a disease that needs to be cured. For the sake of the argument, lets ignore the debate that homosexuality is genetics - If homosexuality is a disorder, does it needs to be treated? It exactly isn't hurting anyone, and the disorder isn't harming the individual with his or her daily life of going to work.

I still don't know about a cure I just think its who they are

Congratulations. You and every legitimate scientific and mental health organization that's done research into the topic of whether homosexuality is inborn or "learned behavior" agree.

It is NOT a choice. These people are born "wired that way." The only groups that disagree with that statement are either backed by religious organizations or religious organizations themselves.

Bisexuality is not "confusion" It's the way people are. A persons "feelings" based on their religious beliefs are not evidence. The church wants to believe people can be "cured" and can browbeat and basically psychologically torture people into pretending to be "cured" no problem (that or the people were again...bisexual to begin with). But someone living a lie isn't "cured" They're just terrified into believing they will be social outcasts doomed to imaginary damnation if they act on their natural impulses. The desire to "fit in" can certainly override someone's natural sexual inclinations. That doesn't mean anyone is "cured." Nevermind "cure" being a horrible word to use, given that Homosexuality (again according to every legitimate psychological and medical organization out there) is not a mental illness.

The "choice" myth never passed the common sense test anyway: Why on Earth would a significant number of otherwise perfectly-sane people CHOOSE something that until relatively recently would get you disowned by your family, abandoned by (hetero) friends, and ostracized by your church?

• Like 2

Batmobile+Queer+3.jpg

KIDS PROGRAM!

goodiesgenie3.jpg

ADC as a family board? I never seen it that way. However, if this topic is too mature for the DC section, surely any hypothetical DC related topics such as the upcoming "Watchmen" prequel comics, character X boinking character Y, and the brutal beating of Jason Todd should and would be moved to the the GD section, right? While I do understand that children love superheroes, DC and Marvel stopped making the comics kid friendly for over 20 years

In other words "embrace" may be the wrong word to use. "Accept" would be more fitting. You can accept something without agreeing with or endorsing it. "Live and let live" "It is what it is" Etc....

I used to say "live and let live"...i know i did...i know i did...i know i did...

DeathCampofTolerance11.jpg

I realized that using the word "embrace" is too strong of a word here.

Does anyone finds it funny that ppl care if a male superheroes turns out gay, but not a female superhero? Double standards much?

Most not all straight males like girl/girl I don't know of a straight guy who wants to see two men kiss.I have nothing against gays but I don't want to see them kiss even if it was drawn

Isn't that the problem though? Comic books are mostly made by men for male readers. Having Wonder Woman a lesbian doesn't help people embrace and acknowledge the alternative lifestyle. Rather, it straightens the stereotype of strong women portrayed in the media. It also doesn't help give inspiration to gay male comic readers - other than being a PR stunt, having more diverse characters help diverse individuals relate to them, hence giving them inspiration. The Blue Ear article is a good example of this - this is the main reason why I would love to see more diverse characters in comics. While it may be the majority, Not everyone who read comics are heterosexual white men.

Why would a straight man embrace the gay lifestyle? There are people out there that don't feel comfortable with that.Why should it be pushed onto them?

What will happen is they possibly will give up on the book if they don't like what they are seeing

Let's face it. A straight man is not going to be able to relate to the romantic feelings of a gay man anymore than a gay man can relate to the romantic feelings of a straight man (feel free to swap out woman in that sentence, too). It's the way we're born and a matter of genetics. One of my friends who came out in college had trouble embracing the lifestyle, though his fear stemmed from persecution. He fought and fought and fought his feelings, even dated my ex, a female, AFTER coming out, but it didn't work. He is what he is. He was banned by the church, ostracized by his friends, and now a staunch atheist.

DC is taking a risk here because I know there are many people that know little about, care little about, or uncomfortable with anyone who is gay and certainly don't want to see it invade their favorite shows, movies, and comics. And WE (that's all of us) will let them know our feelings on the subject with our purchase. Being 100% honest as a straight man that's not uncomfortable around members of the LGBT community, I'm not going to buy a new comic because it features and openly gay character. I'm also your typical fan of the big characters (Batman, Superman, Flash, GL) who rarely ventures from the usual unless really, really compelled.

I'm interested in seeing what happens. I feel this might hurt DC unless they create a very compelling story and character. There are people like me who might skip out just because I usually do with any character I don't usually read, and there are people who will skip out because they don't want to read about a gay character. The variable is how many people from the LGBT community will start reading because of this. We'll see.

See that is where I disagree, it isn't genetics but behavioral and it can be cured. I know many people are going to be in an uproar and say it isn't something to be cured but I believe it is, sort of like bad behavior. God knew what he was doing when he saw Adam and said man should not be alone and created a female. True romantic feelings can never be the same between the same. Men have something to offer that women to do not and the difference makes the perfect piece of the puzzle, men and women compliment each other in ever natural way possible, it is written in nature and it is written in the laws of God directly to man. As for your friend, more people should of tried to help him rather than banning him, there are places where men/women are cured and don't ever look back.

The average man just cannot relate in this manner and I don't see anything wrong with that. This is just like how in Superman Returns, Bryan Singer who is rumored to be __ had them design a rather ___ inspired outfit. That outfit was a complete turn-off for many, including myself and the backlash was extreme making the movie a failure. We cannot relate on that level and it messes us up, if Arnold was ___ could you of watched Terminator or the Running Man the same, for some reason the two don't mix.

DC has made a series of mistakes in the past couple of years, starting with Grant Morrison to this situation, I still love the characters especially Superman but it isn't the same for me anymore. Whoever is running the boat over there is an utter moron.

I agree with everything that you said. I did see some of the "influence" on the costume of "Singerman", with how he was given what looked like almost a thong, instead of his trunks.

But it could have been a lot worse, it could have been this...

superman_CStreet.jpg

Heaven forbid If Superman is ever "converted", his fortress will be based somewhere on Christopher Street. The title "Man of Steel" will only indicate that he and John Henry Irons have probably been an item...

Oh the influence was there, I am being very charitable about how I feel about it, but UGH.........tiny S, flat streamline stomach, tiny briefs, short boots, high neck very metrosexual.

Is there really any hard evidence that Singer made the Superman "gay"? If anything, I would think the high neck line and the short boots would make the costume "less gay".

Sure that while Singer is gay and people hate the Superman Returns costume, it doesn't mean that him being gay made the costume awful. I think people are finding a reason why the costume is awful, hence speculating that it is the director's sexual orientation on why the costume is what it is. I am sure more people will call the "Man of Steel" costume gay if the director making the movie is gay; giant crotch area, solid color body suit with no belt, giant circle on belly button area, latex suit that defines muscle, etc.." But the thing is, the director isn't gay, so there are less talks about it on the board.

superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-06-600x337.jpg

superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01-371x600.jpg

While ANY costume of Superman's can be argued as gay, it may not be infulenced by gay culture. With the Cavill Superman suit, it is merely a more streamline, moderization of the suit.

superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-06-600x337.jpg

superman-man-of-steel-set-photo-costume-henry-cavill-01-371x600.jpg

While ANY costume of Superman's can be argued as gay, it may not be infulenced by gay culture. With the Cavill Superman suit, it is merely a more streamline, moderization of the suit.

awe crap. That suit sucks. I hate the little added line work and it really needs a belt

I'm one of the view here who like Superman returns

I found this posted on Facebook

564826_376937349020238_218334464880528_954105_5749713_n.jpg

ZOMG! Northstar's boyfriend is gay AND black! Marvel goes for the double shocker !

I don't know who he is.. but please don't tell me he is a Mutant too. I won't be able to take the drama!

ZOMG! Northstar's boyfriend is gay AND black! Marvel goes for the double shocker !

I don't know who he is.. but please don't tell me he is a Mutant too. I won't be able to take the drama!

Love the sarcasm! According to wiki, the guy is his sports manager, so it is unlikely. Well, there you go! He's a black, gay, and a non-mutant who is marrying a mutant half farie! Triple shocker!

Love the sarcasm! According to wiki, the guy is his sports manager, so it is unlikely. Well, there you go! He's a black, gay, and a non-mutant who is marrying a mutant half farie! Triple shocker!

You did forget to mention that he is a mutant half farie French Canadian. Marvel is covering all of their bases.