Mystery DC character about to be turned gay

yojoebro82

I read somewhere that Dan Didio said it will NOT be Wally West, though I don't know the source of that statement.

In which case he's not only outting a DC character, but outting ME as a gun-jumping fool! :)

Glad it's not Wally, I still maintain the whole stunt is bogus. However, I've just learned of something more shoching than a forced, attention-getting comic company ploy: GI Joe Retaliation pushed BACK almost one year! This nerd now has bigger things to b!@#$ about

@cry@

Here's the "facts" as far as has been stated by DC:

It will not be anyone already introduced in the Nu52. That rules out any of the "Big 7" as well as most of the Bat-Family, Super-Family, or Green Lanterns.

It will be a male.

I read somewhere that Dan Didio said it will NOT be Wally West, though I don't know the source of that statement.

It's supposedly a "Major, Iconic" character.

Shazam/Captain Marvel has technically not been introduced yet. His secret identity has and his design has been revealed, but he hasn't popped up in the comics yet. He's fairly major/iconic, and while he had a couple of flirtations in the past, he's never had a "designated girlfriend" like most heroes.

I hope it isn't Ryan Choi. That would straighten the stereotype that Asian men are usually gay

Does anyone finds it funny that ppl care if a male superheroes turns out gay, but not a female superhero? Double standards much?

Most not all straight males like girl/girl I don't know of a straight guy who wants to see two men kiss.I have nothing against gays but I don't want to see them kiss even if it was drawn

Isn't that the problem though? Comic books are mostly made by men for male readers. Having Wonder Woman a lesbian doesn't help people embrace and acknowledge the alternative lifestyle. Rather, it straightens the stereotype of strong women portrayed in the media. It also doesn't help give inspiration to gay male comic readers - other than being a PR stunt, having more diverse characters help diverse individuals relate to them, hence giving them inspiration. The Blue Ear article is a good example of this - this is the main reason why I would love to see more diverse characters in comics. While it may be the majority, Not everyone who read comics are heterosexual white men.

Why would a straight man embrace the gay lifestyle? There are people out there that don't feel comfortable with that.Why should it be pushed onto them?

What will happen is they possibly will give up on the book if they don't like what they are seeing

Does anyone finds it funny that ppl care if a male superheroes turns out gay, but not a female superhero? Double standards much?

Most not all straight males like girl/girl I don't know of a straight guy who wants to see two men kiss.I have nothing against gays but I don't want to see them kiss even if it was drawn

Isn't that the problem though? Comic books are mostly made by men for male readers. Having Wonder Woman a lesbian doesn't help people embrace and acknowledge the alternative lifestyle. Rather, it straightens the stereotype of strong women portrayed in the media. It also doesn't help give inspiration to gay male comic readers - other than being a PR stunt, having more diverse characters help diverse individuals relate to them, hence giving them inspiration. The Blue Ear article is a good example of this - this is the main reason why I would love to see more diverse characters in comics. While it may be the majority, Not everyone who read comics are heterosexual white men.

Why would a straight man embrace the gay lifestyle? There are people out there that don't feel comfortable with that.Why should it be pushed onto them?

What will happen is they possibly will give up on the book if they don't like what they are seeing

Some may want you to be labeled homophobic, If you don't embrace it.

So in turn, Label them heterophobic.

@smilepunch@ :P

No one is forcing anyone to accept things. Homosexuality being recognized in US society is a very new thing, so naturally there are going to be people who are incomfortable about it because it is because of how they are raised. If a superhero ends up having a race or sexual orientation change, you don't have to accept it. I know this may be hard especially if it is a character you like. Change can be hard to accept just because it is different.

Let's face it. A straight man is not going to be able to relate to the romantic feelings of a gay man anymore than a gay man can relate to the romantic feelings of a straight man (feel free to swap out woman in that sentence, too). It's the way we're born and a matter of genetics. One of my friends who came out in college had trouble embracing the lifestyle, though his fear stemmed from persecution. He fought and fought and fought his feelings, even dated my ex, a female, AFTER coming out, but it didn't work. He is what he is. He was banned by the church, ostracized by his friends, and now a staunch atheist.

DC is taking a risk here because I know there are many people that know little about, care little about, or uncomfortable with anyone who is gay and certainly don't want to see it invade their favorite shows, movies, and comics. And WE (that's all of us) will let them know our feelings on the subject with our purchase. Being 100% honest as a straight man that's not uncomfortable around members of the LGBT community, I'm not going to buy a new comic because it features and openly gay character. I'm also your typical fan of the big characters (Batman, Superman, Flash, GL) who rarely ventures from the usual unless really, really compelled.

I'm interested in seeing what happens. I feel this might hurt DC unless they create a very compelling story and character. There are people like me who might skip out just because I usually do with any character I don't usually read, and there are people who will skip out because they don't want to read about a gay character. The variable is how many people from the LGBT community will start reading because of this. We'll see.

• Like 1

This is sad... DC is trying to make news by turning a character gay... Marvel is doing it by releasing a movie that breaks all kinds of records...

Something DC has proven incapable of with 99% of its characters!

Marvel has more non-hit movies than hit movies, plus many of their hit movies don't stand the test of time.........Spider 1 and 2 anyone?

• Like 1

Let's face it. A straight man is not going to be able to relate to the romantic feelings of a gay man anymore than a gay man can relate to the romantic feelings of a straight man (feel free to swap out woman in that sentence, too). It's the way we're born and a matter of genetics. One of my friends who came out in college had trouble embracing the lifestyle, though his fear stemmed from persecution. He fought and fought and fought his feelings, even dated my ex, a female, AFTER coming out, but it didn't work. He is what he is. He was banned by the church, ostracized by his friends, and now a staunch atheist.

DC is taking a risk here because I know there are many people that know little about, care little about, or uncomfortable with anyone who is gay and certainly don't want to see it invade their favorite shows, movies, and comics. And WE (that's all of us) will let them know our feelings on the subject with our purchase. Being 100% honest as a straight man that's not uncomfortable around members of the LGBT community, I'm not going to buy a new comic because it features and openly gay character. I'm also your typical fan of the big characters (Batman, Superman, Flash, GL) who rarely ventures from the usual unless really, really compelled.

I'm interested in seeing what happens. I feel this might hurt DC unless they create a very compelling story and character. There are people like me who might skip out just because I usually do with any character I don't usually read, and there are people who will skip out because they don't want to read about a gay character. The variable is how many people from the LGBT community will start reading because of this. We'll see.

See that is where I disagree, it isn't genetics but behavioral and it can be cured. I know many people are going to be in an uproar and say it isn't something to be cured but I believe it is, sort of like bad behavior. God knew what he was doing when he saw Adam and said man should not be alone and created a female. True romantic feelings can never be the same between the same. Men have something to offer that women to do not and the difference makes the perfect piece of the puzzle, men and women compliment each other in ever natural way possible, it is written in nature and it is written in the laws of God directly to man. As for your friend, more people should of tried to help him rather than banning him, there are places where men/women are cured and don't ever look back.

The average man just cannot relate in this manner and I don't see anything wrong with that. This is just like how in Superman Returns, Bryan Singer who is rumored to be __ had them design a rather ___ inspired outfit. That outfit was a complete turn-off for many, including myself and the backlash was extreme making the movie a failure. We cannot relate on that level and it messes us up, if Arnold was ___ could you of watched Terminator or the Running Man the same, for some reason the two don't mix.

DC has made a series of mistakes in the past couple of years, starting with Grant Morrison to this situation, I still love the characters especially Superman but it isn't the same for me anymore. Whoever is running the boat over there is an utter moron.

• Like 1

This is sad... DC is trying to make news by turning a character gay... Marvel is doing it by releasing a movie that breaks all kinds of records...

Marvel has more non-hit movies than hit movies, plus many of their hit movies don't stand the test of time.........Spider 1 and 2 anyone?

Also, in the last 12 years, Marvel was at least invested enough to get its characters on the big screen a whopping thirty times! DC? Somewhere under ten.

But don't worry, I'll say it: :OT:

• Like 1

See that is where I disagree, it isn't genetics but behavioral and it can be cured. I know many people are going to be in an uproar and say it isn't something to be cured but I believe it is, sort of like bad behavior. God knew what he was doing when he saw Adam and said man should not be alone and created a female. True romantic feelings can never be the same between the same. Men have something to offer that women to do not and the difference makes the perfect piece of the puzzle, men and women compliment each other in ever natural way possible, it is written in nature and it is written in the laws of God directly to man. As for your friend, more people should of tried to help him rather than banning him, there are places where men/women are cured and don't ever look back.

The average man just cannot relate in this manner and I don't see anything wrong with that. This is just like how in Superman Returns, Bryan Singer who is rumored to be __ had them design a rather ___ inspired outfit. That outfit was a complete turn-off for many, including myself and the backlash was extreme making the movie a failure. We cannot relate on that level and it messes us up, if Arnold was ___ could you of watched Terminator or the Running Man the same, for some reason the two don't mix.

DC has made a series of mistakes in the past couple of years, starting with Grant Morrison to this situation, I still love the characters especially Superman but it isn't the same for me anymore. Whoever is running the boat over there is an utter moron.

I agree with everything that you said. I did see some of the "influence" on the costume of "Singerman", with how he was given what looked like almost a thong, instead of his trunks.

But it could have been a lot worse, it could have been this...

superman_CStreet.jpg

Heaven forbid If Superman is ever "converted", his fortress will be based somewhere on Christopher Street. The title "Man of Steel" will only indicate that he and John Henry Irons have probably been an item...

• Like 2

Well I wonder if the people at DC responsible for turning of the mysterious "major character" character to be gay, ever had days like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQuzui7Br04

And yes I know that Scott Thompson is homosexual in real life, and that these clips are just poking fun of at the whole "closeted homosexual" thing. But I hope that if DC does turn someone gay, they don't go the route of turning him into Buddy Cole... I cant picture any major DC male character at a bar, in the effeminate stereotype, spouting wise on life's issues...

• Like 2

Also, in the last 12 years, Marvel was at least invested enough to get its characters on the big screen a whopping thirty times! DC? Somewhere under ten.

But don't worry, I'll say it: :OT:

I am not one who gets bent out of shape about going off topic.........that is the natural way of conversation, but there are some people here who are like the Nazi party and want certain control over the boards, like controlling going off topic????

Marvel has invested more but most were not successful, that is what gangsters do, they shoot up a neighborhood and hope to hit the target. Aside from Ironman 1 and the second Hulk movie, most Marvel films fall extremely flat, none of them can rival even the first two original Superman movies let alone the Dark Knight and Watchmen movies.

• Like 1

I agree with everything that you said. I did see some of the "influence" on the costume of "Singerman", with how he was given what looked like almost a thong, instead of his trunks.

But it could have been a lot worse, it could have been this...

superman_CStreet.jpg

Heaven forbid If Superman is ever "converted", his fortress will be based somewhere on Christopher Street. The title "Man of Steel" will only indicate that he and John Henry Irons have probably been an item...

Oh the influence was there, I am being very charitable about how I feel about it, but UGH.........tiny S, flat streamline stomach, tiny briefs, short boots, high neck very metrosexual.

In other words "embrace" may be the wrong word to use. "Accept" would be more fitting. You can accept something without agreeing with or endorsing it. "Live and let live" "It is what it is" Etc....

I used to say "live and let live"...i know i did...i know i did...i know i did...

DeathCampofTolerance11.jpg

what are you talking about? I hear kids walking down the street humming the memorable theme tunes all the time! Just like i know they will with the Avengers score!

There is only a couple of times I ever heard about somebody changing..Years ago Boy George and another band member had a fling but he left George a few years later and married a woman and they had kids

The same thing happened on the lesbian side Ellen DeGeneres's old girlfreind married a man and had kids

I don't think they were "cured" I think they were Bi

Well I wonder if the people at DC responsible for turning of the mysterious "major character" character to be gay, ever had days like this....

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wQuzui7Br04

And yes I know that Scott Thompson is homosexual in real life, and that these clips are just poking fun of at the whole "closeted homosexual" thing. But I hope that if DC does turn someone gay, they don't go the route of turning him into Buddy Cole... I cant picture any major DC male character at a bar, in the effeminate stereotype, spouting wise on life's issues...

DUDE, I LOVE KIDS IN THE HALL..................I don't think DC would ever go that far, doesn't make a difference who it is, I am sooooo not interested whatsoever.

There is only a couple of times I ever heard about somebody changing..Years ago Boy George and another band member had a fling but he left George a few years later and married a woman and they had kids

The same thing happened on the lesbian side Ellen DeGeneres's old girlfreind married a man and had kids

Boy George did originally have a girlfriend before becoming famous, the drummer was John Moss and yes once he left the band he was straight from there on out. It can happen and it does, I don't believe a person is naturally bi, just confused and unresolved.

There was a guy on the Howard Stern show who says he was cured and now goes around helping others, it can and does happen, there is a CURE!!!

DUDE, I LOVE KIDS IN THE HALL..................I don't think DC would ever go that far, doesn't make a difference who it is, I am sooooo not interested whatsoever.

Im happy to see another fan of the show. Ive been a fan of KITH show, ever since I used to watch it as a little kid on HBO. In my opinion Kids In the Hall kills SNL (Lorne Michaels should have kept KITH going instead), and is probably the best skit show of all time (with Alfred E Neuman era MADTv being a close second).

• Like 1

Im happy to see another fan of the show. Ive been a fan of KITH show, ever since I used to watch it as a little kid on HBO. In my opinion Kids In the Hall kills SNL (Lorne Michaels should have kept KITH going instead), and is probably the best skit show of all time (with Alfred E Nueman era MADTv being a close second).

LOL I hate to sidetrack this thread but my favorite all time KITH spots were with the dude who wanted to crush your head with his fingers :P

Boy George did originally have a girlfriend before becoming famous, the drummer was John Moss and yes once he left the band he was straight from there on out. It can happen and it does, I don't believe a person is naturally bi, just confused and unresolved.

There was a guy on the Howard Stern show who says he was cured and now goes around helping others, it can and does happen, there is a CURE!!!

I still don't know about a cure I just think its who they are

Even though I am not in favor of homosexuality of any kind. America has become extremely tolerable and accepting of homosexual. For you LGBT people out there (and supporters), be glad (well you are GLAAD already) that you don't live in an America like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3S24ofEQj4&feature=related

By the way Jim Parsons of "Big Bang Theory" has just come out as gay...

Even though I am not in favor of homosexuality of any kind. America has become extremely tolerable and accepting of homosexual. For you LGBT people out there (and supporters), be glad (well you are GLAAD already) that you don't live in an America like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3S24ofEQj4&feature=related

By the way Jim Parsons of "Big Bang Theory" has just come out as gay...

Man they were so wrong back then

They are confusing homosexuality with the guy being a pedophile