Mystery DC character about to be turned gay

yojoebro82

I think its gonna be Superman. This is a publicity stunt and nothing would grab more headlines for DC than announcing that their most recognizable character was now Gay. People would be talking, arguing and bitching for months and hate it or like it the issue would sell like hotcakes.

Imagine him leaving Lois? But I don't see it especially with a movie coming out next summer

It would be the bigest desperation move imagineable. It's already proven they have no idea how to make the character relevant in modern times. It would be like them throwing their hands up and saying, "We give up! PLEASE give this character attention. ANY attention!"

But it's true, a new movie is on the way, complete with Lois Lane. So I HAVE to believe he's safe from the "swap the sexual orientation" gimmick.

If it is Wally West, I am done with DC forever for crapping on one of their great characters again and again.

I was thinking DC needed to do something to really drive home the "f- you" they gave to Wally West fans.

First replace him as the Flash, then erase him all together, then bring him back for no other reason than to be gay, ignoring the fact that he's happily married with two kids?

Yep, that would do 'er.

this topic is a powder keg with a lit fuse...time to snuff it with a "lock?"

So far so good its not exploded as I thought so far

I agree. I'm impressed with how it hasn't exploded into straight bashing territory. Honestly, the only one bashed so far is Obama.

Wonder Woman...a lesbian...te he.

:P

I think its gonna be Superman. This is a publicity stunt and nothing would grab more headlines for DC than announcing that their most recognizable character was now Gay. People would be talking, arguing and bitching for months and hate it or like it the issue would sell like hotcakes.

Imagine him leaving Lois? But I don't see it especially with a movie coming out next summer

For Jimmy Olsen?

WHY?

I can’t remember a time when in the middle of reading a comic that I stopped and thought to myself “I wonder if he's gay?". Why bother all it's going to come down too is the normal fighting between a couple that the stress of being a super hero causes, this time it's just a same sex couple.

• Like 2

Oh i hope its either batman or superman, I mean i'm not reading comics anymore as it is but think of the irony with the history of comics. I think gay superman would be very brave, but hink about it the other way. If they dont pick a big gun hero then wont they be showing a lack of confidence in the idea of gay heroes? Wouldn't that be just as insulting?

• Like 1

If it an actual hero I would bet on Cyborg. They've been trying for the last couple of years to push him front and center, he's been around for a while. Or I could see a huge supporting cast member like Alfred or Olsen. Guess we'll just have to wait and watch the uproar.

If it an actual hero I would bet on Cyborg. They've been trying for the last couple of years to push him front and center, he's been around for a while. Or I could see a huge supporting cast member like Alfred or Olsen. Guess we'll just have to wait and watch the uproar.

Do they have the guts to turn a black hero gay?... John Stewart could be another option...

• Like 1

Has every possible hero been created? Couldn't a new character be created and introduced to the DC universe? It's as bad as when they get rid of a hero to put in the same hero, but he or she is now ethnic. Can't the existing characters be left alone and new ones be added in? I guess not.

I liked reading comics because they were full of action, adventure and escapism. I don't give a rat's butt who's dating who, gay or straight. If that's what I wanted to read, I'd picked up a cheap paperbook with Fabio on the cover.

The comic industry continues to fade, and it won't be long before they are gone. The cost alone is driving many away, and they aren't getting the new readers, while the existing ones are getting pretty tired of the same nonsense both Marvel & DC are putting out.

Hoping off my soapbox, if I had to guess, the two that come to mind would be Hawkman (as DC desperately tries to shatter the Hawkman / Hawkgirl romance seen over the last 50 years or so), or Firestorm (guessing the jock one). Many have joked Aquaman, but the Aquaman / Mera thing seems to be a hit, and she brings a new dynamic to a once dead title.

Oh i hope its either batman or superman, I mean i'm not reading comics anymore as it is but think of the irony with the history of comics. I think gay superman would be very brave, but hink about it the other way. If they dont pick a big gun hero then wont they be showing a lack of confidence in the idea of gay heroes? Wouldn't that be just as insulting?

I hope to hell it's not the Bat then I would her all the pedophile jokes because of the Robins

Can't the existing characters be left alone and new ones be added in? I guess not.

I don't think so. That would require creativity on the editorial front. When you think about it, when was the last time a NEW character was introduced? One that was unique and caught on with the readers, where their first appearance issue actually went up in price? Gambit? Deadpool? That was a long time ago.

This is just another cheap gimmick publicity stunt from the big brains behind the new 52, who have crapped on every aspect of the proud history of DC Comics (other than written by Johns and Morrison). If this was a natural aspect of a character's story, they would have written it and let the reader's have a reaction to it, whether good or bad. Announcing it ahead of time just after the President announces his support of gay marriage makes it that much cheaper. So much of what DC is doing today flies in the face of long time fans, but they justify it by "Hey, look at our sales numbers!". That is great and all, but I remember a time when every single Image book sold tons of copies with variant covers, but honestly, how many of those stories do people remember, or care about?

And I would like to reiterate, if they do this to Wally West, then I am done with DC Comics. He has been around since the 60's, had a strong 20+ year run as the Flash, got married had kids, and got written out of continuity. How much more crap can they throw on his plate?

I doubt that it is one of the big 3, because they are still trying to sell movie tickets and/or develop movies around these properties. Hawkman? He keeps getting reincarnated and getting killed because he can't handle being gay in a straight relationship? Aquaman? Can't fish be asexual? Hal Jordan? Nope, praying for a sequel.

Barry Allen? Geoff Johns would never approve. Martian Manhunter? Really? An Apollo-Midnighter-Manhunter love triangle?

If it Were Batman or Superman. I would never buy another DC title again. Dan Diddio can suck it

If it Were Batman or Superman. I would never buy another DC title again. Dan Diddio can suck it

By doing it it would be like DC commiting suicide

Contrary to what some people believe, there's actually a pretty strong gay audience for comic books. Disproportionately high compared to the regular population.

That having been said: Pre-existing character who hasn't been reintroduced yet but is "major" enough to make headlines? Almost sounds like Wally West would be the only available option, which sucks.

Or this could be a classic case of DC hyping up a character as being far more "important" than they really are to the general public. There are still a lot of Earth-2 heroes yet to be reintroduced, aren't there?

So, apparently, Wonder Woman is out of the running. They have confirmed that it is a male character who was formerly heterosexual and has not been seen since the relaunch.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/05/dcs-new-gay-character-will-be-major-iconic-and-apparently-male/

Uh-oh. From one Wally West fan to another, I gotta say, "Not good"...

I can see it now! Wally comes back, is gay! Forgetting everything about his past. Then Bart shows up down the line running from another time. Screaming wait this is not right!! I have to fix this mess!! Wait has not this already happened... @loll@

Draven

So, apparently, Wonder Woman is out of the running. They have confirmed that it is a male character who was formerly heterosexual and has not been seen since the relaunch.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/05/dcs-new-gay-character-will-be-major-iconic-and-apparently-male/

Well it figures DC has no guts! I just don't understand why they don't make superman gay and put the final nail in the comic industry. I think it would be a good thing so we can all return to good comics that are based on action adventure and fantasy as they always should have been.

I can see if it was Vibe but as they said he isn't major or iconic

Well after this they won't be major or iconic after this

I love DiDido's reasoning here. West wasn't "major" enough to be kept from being put on the back burner--replaced as the Flash or written out all together. Now, suddenly, he's "major" enough to be turned gay.

(This is assuming he IS the guy. Otherwise it's just me b!@#$%^& :) ).

I love DiDido's reasoning here. West wasn't "major" enough to be kept from being put on the back burner--replaced as the Flash or written out all together. Now, suddenly, he's "major" enough to be turned gay.

(This is assuming he IS the guy. Otherwise it's just me b!@#$%^& :) ).

What happens on YJ then if it turns out to be Wally? He lives with Artemis now

oh a new direction in comics. its not guess who will die no, now its guess who will be gay. storytelling really becomes a #@$#@ these days.

and, of course, they could never have a villain make something like a "gay-ray", because the fight to reverse the effects wouldnt be very PC.