Mystery DC character about to be turned gay

yojoebro82

It's been said it'll be a pre-existing character.

I couldn't care less if a character is gay or not. If it pertains to the story, and the story is well done, it won't matter. Rather than hate on this "gay agenda", why not consider why is it that it's so hard for homo-sexuals to get married and have the same rights as a hetero-sexual couple?

• Like 3

If they are making a character gay, it better be someone new...and not a core character.

Well....it sounds like an existing character. I wouldn't have cared enough to post this if it was some new guy. According to the article:

"DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio announced the plans over the weekend at Kapow Comic Convention in London, saying that the existing superhero who was previously assumed to be straight will be "one of our most prominent gay characters." He did not specify in which issue the reveal will occur."

That covers a lot of characters because I guess we assume a lot of them are straight. If it's any of the big 7 I'd be very surprised. Right off the bat, you know it's not Batman or GL for the same reasons that their books were free from the reboot. They're not going to go off the deep end with their two most popular characters. You also have to cross Superman off that list because you have to believe they're not that dumb. I also wouldn't bet on Aquaman, they'd be giving in to all the jokes then, it would be too obvious (and also, Johns is writing him so he's also free from drastic overhauls).

If they are making a character gay, it better be someone new...and not a core character.

Well....it sounds like an existing character. I wouldn't have cared enough to post this if it was some new guy. According to the article:

"DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio announced the plans over the weekend at Kapow Comic Convention in London, saying that the existing superhero who was previously assumed to be straight will be "one of our most prominent gay characters." He did not specify in which issue the reveal will occur."

That covers a lot of characters because I guess we assume a lot of them are straight. If it's any of the big 7 I'd be very surprised. Right off the bat, you know it's not Batman or GL for the same reasons that their books were free from the reboot. They're not going to go off the deep end with their two most popular characters. You also have to cross Superman off that list because you have to believe they're not that dumb. I also wouldn't bet on Aquaman, they'd be giving in to all the jokes then, it would be too obvious (and also, Johns is writing him so he's also free from drastic overhauls).

Makes me wonder if its Alfred (yea I know he's not a superhero, per se), or maybe Cyril Sheldrake.

Makes me wonder if its Alfred (yea I know he's not a superhero, per se), or maybe Cyril Sheldrake.

If it is Alfred who's gay, I'd be very disappointed in them for choosing a character that has the potential to be stereotyped as such.

If it was Lobo on the other hand, I'd laugh my ass off and say, "Bravo." The guy's practically rough trade anyway.

I hate to get political but...I hate when the left has to spew their nonsense..This idiot Obama in an election year says he is for gay marriage and the left goes nuts like they just won a major championship like the World series or Super Bowl

Personally I have nothing against gays but if your going to put in a gay hero do it because you want to NOT because this facist president said he liked gay marriage

Hell I bet if it wasn't an election year the boob would of never said anything about Gay Marriage or just kept his origional stance

Double BRAVO, I am so annoyed with whoever is running DC, right down into the ground!!!

Pointless and full of agenda, they are suffering enough but then they go and make this move which will effectively alienate MOST if not ALL of their fan base.

• Like 1

If it was Lobo on the other hand, I'd laugh my ass off and say, "Bravo." The guy's practically rough trade anyway.

Haha! That's classic man. It would also be hilarious if it turned out, that it wasn't a cigar in his mouth after all...

P.S. Lobo has always reminded me of a comic book version, of Al Jourgensen post "the Land of Rape and Honey"...

I though comic fans read to see costumed guys pounding bad guys, not pounding a**? licking the odds, not licking b**?

This has to be one of the lowest of the lows in trying to sell funnybooks.

Cant wait to see what purpose this serves in storytelling. First, Doctor Who, now DC comics? what's next, gay agenda?

PS- didnt Marvel already try this with "Civil War?" That was an allegory for "outing" right? :P

• Like 1

If it is Wally West, I am done with DC forever for crapping on one of their great characters again and again.

I think if it was a new character it would be accepted with no problems but to use an older core memeber of the DCU it I think there might be an uproar

It's been said it'll be a pre-existing character.

I couldn't care less if a character is gay or not. If it pertains to the story, and the story is well done, it won't matter. Rather than hate on this "gay agenda", why not consider why is it that it's so hard for homo-sexuals to get married and have the same rights as a hetero-sexual couple?

I echo this sentiment exactly. The first thing that comes to mind is Daken. He's seen with women and men and everybody wonders, "gay or straight?" The response: he's not defined by either. The story is that his sexuality is just another way to take advantage of others and get whatever job done. That fits, and makes since.

As a pastor in NC I have been deeply disturbed by recent incidents like the passing of Amendment One and the utter hate I witnessed in the church and the community and how it was hidden under the guise of 'faith.' My hurt is still healing from hearing the responses of those I serve as pastor and whom I love. That's another issue and not important for this discussion, though.

What is important is that I think it's too early to ascribe political agenda or attention grabbing scheme to this move from DC. Regardless of others feelings on the topic of LGBT, homosexuality is a very real part of our culture which becomes more diverse everyday. I live in the country (I mean COUNTRY), and homosexual couples exist even out here. Laura had two lesbian couples (that's four lesbians) attend the church she served in the middle of nowhere. Truth is, the fact that we don't see this too often in comics in our comics speaks a false truth about our society.

That all said, if I read who it is and the story doesn't fit and it feels like a stunt, I'll call it a stunt. However, if it proves to feel like a natural and truthful move for the character, I have absolutely no problem with it and applaud it.

• Like 7

I think its gonna be Superman. This is a publicity stunt and nothing would grab more headlines for DC than announcing that their most recognizable character was now Gay. People would be talking, arguing and bitching for months and hate it or like it the issue would sell like hotcakes.

I think its gonna be Superman. This is a publicity stunt and nothing would grab more headlines for DC than announcing that their most recognizable character was now Gay. People would be talking, arguing and bitching for months and hate it or like it the issue would sell like hotcakes.

Imagine him leaving Lois? But I don't see it especially with a movie coming out next summer

Imagine him leaving Lois? But I don't see it especially with a movie coming out next summer

Maybe, my second guess would be Wonder Woman, its gonna be a main character though, if it was some second stringer no one would care that much.

Maybe, my second guess would be Wonder Woman, its gonna be a main character though, if it was some second stringer no one would care that much.

Now thats something we all would like :P

this topic is a powder keg with a lit fuse...time to snuff it with a "lock?"

So far so good its not exploded as I thought so far

I agree. I'm impressed with how it hasn't exploded into straight bashing territory. Honestly, the only one bashed so far is Obama.

Wonder Woman...a lesbian...te he.

• Like 1