I'm not doing it......$8.97 is too much

RobbieDigital

I think I've finally hit the wall.........I finally found the Retaliation figures yesterday at Wal-Mart. I was excited to finally find them in the wild.......I snagged everyone and was ready to walk out of the aisle. Then I looked at them a second time........its like Cutter or Doc walked around the corner and told me "Wait a sec, look at the lack of accessories on these guys......plus these figures are going to be everywhere...maybe even TJ Maxx or Marshalls in 6 months!!" I said "Now I know!!" and "Knowing is half the battle!!!"

These figures are extremely lame........I went from having 6 figures in my hands...to 4. I bought the Cobra Trooper, Joe Trooper, CC, and the Red Ninja. I looked at Roadblock and all he came with was that stupid oversized Rocket Launcher thing......that was IT!!!! Not worth 9 bucks....then I looked at Storm Shadow.....don't even know for sure if thats how he's going to end up looking in the movie.....he became a pass too.

I ended up opening the Joe Trooper.......overall he's a cool figure....I like him and he comes armed to the teeth.....looks good all geared up.

I opened the Cobra Trooper too.......primarily just for the cool parachute.......which is going to end up on one of my 25/Modern Cobra Officers at some point........The other 2 figures, CC and Red Ninja are going back to Wal-Mart at some point. I just can't justify the 9 bucks for these things on principle alone.

I would rather take that 9 bucks and pay for a vintage figure on ebay......or put it towards that. I mean it seems up until now GI Joe has been relatively "cheaper" than other lines at the store these days....but they've now caught up.

I don't know.....I had a GI Joe "Grinds my gears" moment today in the toy section.........

Disclaimer: I am fully aware they are kids toys....and meant for kids but we have gotten some really awesome stuff in the past year with the GI Joe brand......but these Retaliation figures blow hard for 8.97........would I pay the same for the say......recently released Techno-Viper...yeah, probably.......but they aren't getting my money for this stuff.

• Like 4

Good call! These worthless hunks-a-plastic junk will be available by the barrel fulls, for some time to come. For all the stuff I DID want, from waves past, that never hit the retail stores (or in severe limited quantities) that are going for ridiculous amounts on eBay or online stores now....I refuse to dish out the asking price for this stuff, until it gets down to around $2.99 (what it's worth in material and craftmanship) and that's not even a given. ;)

they'll probably be $10 here in Canada. the only ones I'm really interested in are the Cobra Trooper and GIJOE trooper because he reminds me of the Spytroops line which got me back into Into GIJOE back in 2002

Iits like Cutter or Doc walked around the corner and told me "Wait a sec, look at the lack of accessories on these guys......plus these figures are going to be everywhere...maybe even TJ Maxx or Marshalls in 6 months!!" I said "Now I know!!" and "Knowing is half the battle!!!"

These figures are extremely lame........

Right there with you. I don't plan on giving my money for ANY of this innitial wave.

The justification that toys companies use ("It's for the kids") is a MAJOR cop out that should not be believed by any Joe fan. Dumb down the quality and keep the same high price? I don't think so.

I really hope other fans think the way you do and just put the figures back on the shelf. Only way Hasbro will change things.

That's okay. The best thing you can do regarding overprice, low quality figures is to not buy them. If they are at all interested, the kids will play with them for a short time then they'll be forgotten once interested in the movie has died down.

I still haven't seen any of the figures, but from what I've heard, I'm kinda glad I haven't. It just makes me wonder... Who would they cancel the 30th Anniversary, Pursuit of Cobra and Renegades? How many figures did they not make that they could have? I always wanted a new Serpentor. Could this be what kills GI Joe?

NO its just a movie line no more, no less. Hasbro has clearly decided to cut corners on all movie lines and charge more. Can't blame them as it seems to work (Avengers) I just don't see it working with these! This movie will not have the kid power Avengers has. As far as me, I think they suck bad over all. All the cut articulation, less gear and bad colors. I am not even excited about the movie because I HATE the rock and clearly the are making him ubber Slaughter like. Roadblock is not the end all to end all super ninja commando like they say he is in the movie.

Draven

I guess I just worry sometimes as I see more and more lines disappearing or going to subscriptions. I heard (I don't keep up with it all, but from what I have heard through forums and such) that the DCUC line is going to subscription from now on. Those things sold like crazy here in my hometown and they went away. Also, I worry even more because due to lack of sales, the GI Joe line disappeared completely from Walmarts (the only real store around me without having to drive an hour) around here. One of which still doesn't carry any. I don't want to have to plan my entire weekend around driving out of town to stores that may or may not have them. Why oh why can't it be like it was when I was young. I grew up in the 80s and everything seemed so plentiful. I mean, True Value hardware stores had toys. They usually had them way before any other store. I know there will never be another time like that. I am always discussing with other collectors about the greatest time in history for toys, and I must say the 80s were the greatest. The beginning of GI Joe: ARAH, He-man, Transformers, M.A.S.K., Super Powers, Secret Wars, Real Ghostbusters... What other time could beat it?! I just hope that GI Joe doesn't disappear from stores altogether.

Iits like Cutter or Doc walked around the corner and told me "Wait a sec, look at the lack of accessories on these guys......plus these figures are going to be everywhere...maybe even TJ Maxx or Marshalls in 6 months!!" I said "Now I know!!" and "Knowing is half the battle!!!"

Right there with you. I don't plan on giving my money for ANY of this innitial wave.

The justification that toys companies use ("It's for the kids") is a MAJOR cop out that should not be believed by any Joe fan. Dumb down the quality and keep the same high price? I don't think so.

I really hope other fans think the way you do and just put the figures back on the shelf. Only way Hasbro will change things.

Here's something I have to ask. If these are suppose to be for kids,why do toy companies charge so much for them?

• Like 1

Here's something I have to ask. If these are suppose to be for kids,why do toy companies charge so much for them?

I'm guessing because Hasbro knows that the kids aren't buying them, mom and dad are, and if the kids don't know any better, then MOST of the parents buying them don't know any better, and the kind of standards us old collectors demand, don't matter as much with them?

yeah, 9 bucks is too much. And Joes are supposed to be cheaper because Hasbro owns them and doesn't have to pay a license. I don't get how they can be the same as the Vintage Starwars and more than the MU figures.

for that price, I would probably only buy the Joe Trooper and the Red Ninja.

I really like that Joe Trooper. and I can see lots of possibilities for LBC customs on him.

What color did you find? blue or tan?

I think that most parents (and I'm a parent) would look and see that other comparable figures are running the same price or sometimes more so wouldn't think twice about paying that price. I mean, Star Wars, MU, Avengers and Joes are all about $10. Halo are $12 to $15, ML are $15 to $20, heck even the small Lego sets (Avengers or DC) are $10 to $13. So it all comparable when you get around to it.

So I saw these last night but was in a hurry and not able to really looks at them. Did notice the couple of Joe troopers were the blue ones not the tan and that CC was black and not blue. SO it looks like we might have a couple variants or running changes in the line already.

That's exactly what I mean when I say that line about it being "for the kids" is a lot of bull. And Hasbro knows it too...

Don't get me wrong......I'm excited for Retaliation, I think the movie looks awesome. Part of my collecting habits is to collect everything that comes out from a completist standpoint. We need to have the whole wave.....that "gotta catch em' all" philosophy. It's usually not that big a deal, but the other day something about these figures just didn't click.

I was like "Hold up" you're not tricking me this time Hasbro......I guess you gotta draw the line somewhere.

This is a movie line, like all movie lines they are far less collector oriented. They are meant to sell to the masses, they are self-promoted cause of the movie, so retailers grab them up and parents supposedly buy them up. This is nothing new. As for price why would you expect them to be cheaper than any other figure line? Its true eventually they will likely go on discount but when have u ever seen a movie line sell cheaper in general? I guess I just don't get why you guys always act surprised by these things???? It's not a Hasbro thing it's industry thing and its been that way for as long as I can remember.

It's not a Hasbro thing it's industry thing and its been that way for as long as I can remember.

Also think about it, its not just the toy industry. Look at video games, how often to you come across a good movie tie-in video game????

This is a movie line, like all movie lines they are far less collector oriented.

ROC toys were a lot better than this. While they did come with the bulky rocket launchers, they also had a good variety of other passable accessories, detailed sculpts and actor likenesses, and the full amount of articulation. I'm not getting into the whole "I hate the Joes in black armor" argument, I'm just saying aesthetically, it was a better toy line. Is one movie line "Aimed at kids" and not the other?

I just saw these figures at my Walmart and they were 6.97 and they were not just hung on the wrong peg. It said gi joe retalitation on it. It was weird finding them there because this walmart usually does not carry anything new.

I think this line looks like a mixed bag. I was excited for some of the vehicles but it appears as though the drivers have terrible articulation like the original Joe vs. Cobra figures in 2002. I agree that $9 is a tad much but I need the new CC, a Roadblock, RZA Blind Master and Bruce Willis/Joe Colton. The new HISS looks pretty cool as does the Arashikage vehicle.

I just saw these figures at my Walmart and they were 6.97 and they were not just hung on the wrong peg. It said gi joe retalitation on it. It was weird finding them there because this walmart usually does not carry anything new.

ok, that is a good sign then. I hope they are that price at my stores

Hmmm hopefully they do drop to that. WOuld make some much better. Clam I saw blue CC and blue Joe trooper in the case I cracked. Friend found a black CC and tan trooper case though.

Draven