Who wants a 6 inch Coulson figure?

jahue

Ok, so I have an idea and I wanted to see what you guys think about it and if you would be interested. I think agent Coulson has been on most of our wish lists, but the likelihood of this happening is not very good.

Recently, I saw someone make a cast of the masked Daken figure and it gave me an idea. What if we as a community found a customizer who could sculpt an original sculpt of Coulson and then make a cast of that head for everyone. If we all pitched in for the original sculpt we could save money and still get a Coulson figure. I thought this could be done for a young justice M'gann, or a don cheadle Rhodey, ect.

I figure Coulson would be a good choice because it would be an easy custom. Throw the head on a Harvey Dent MM body and you have Coulson. In other words the skill to make this custom would be minimal so it would appeal to many.

1st off. Does anyone know of a customizer who has the skill to pull this off? What amount would you be willing to contribute to the commission? I think this could be an awesome way to get figures that may never be made. We could open it up to other sites as well, because the more support we find the cheaper it would be.

So let me know if I'm crazy or if you think this could be a possibility. Thanks

Ok, so I have an idea and I wanted to see what you guys think about it and if you would be interested. I think agent Coulson has been on most of our wish lists, but the likelihood of this happening is not very good.

Recently, I saw someone make a cast of the masked Daken figure and it gave me an idea. What if we as a community found a customizer who could sculpt an original sculpt of Coulson and then make a cast of that head for everyone. If we all pitched in for the original sculpt we could save money and still get a Coulson figure. I thought this could be done for a young justice M'gann, or a don cheadle Rhodey, ect.

I figure Coulson would be a good choice because it would be an easy custom. Throw the head on a Harvey Dent MM body and you have Coulson. In other words the skill to make this custom would be minimal so it would appeal to many.

1st off. Does anyone know of a customizer who has the skill to pull this off? What amount would you be willing to contribute to the commission? I think this could be an awesome way to get figures that may never be made. We could open it up to other sites as well, because the more support we find the cheaper it would be.

So let me know if I'm crazy or if you think this could be a possibility. Thanks

I know a place where you can get ahold of some sculptors who might take on the commission. Getting sculptors (professor or not) to sculpt a head and each pooling money for a commission is a common practice at the 1/6 (12 inch) toy forums. However, because it will be an original place, the commission for each head would end up being around 30-50 dollars unpainted.

I think one of the main problems is trying to get 20+ people to jump on the project to get the ball moving. Try contacting sculptors at the request section of the freaks board at www.sideshowcollectors.com (check the custom gallery section.)

In the meantime, make a list of the people who are definately interested in the headsculpt and are willing to pay 30-50 per head unpainted - consdering that tge headsculpt is small and doesn't need as much detail like 1/6 heads, painted might not be expensive. This way when you find a sculptor of your liking, you can say "I have these other people interesting in the head for Mr. CIA agent man, Mr. sculptor. I hope this will pursuade you in taking the commission for Mr. CIA agent man." If the sculptor takes some down payment, make sure the people interested will make a down payment - I don't know if sculptors at the freaks board still do down payments anymore (please read next paragraph for details). Also, this is important, make sure the sculptor is credible and honest. There are cases where the sculptor ran off the money without completely doing his job.

A few years ago, a sculptor from the toy industry . This guy was somewhat known; the guy sculpted some Toybiz figures such as the 12 inch Blues Brother's heads. His father was the creator of the easybake oven. Anyway, he was becoming popular at the 1/6 boards for his custom movie Joker heads. He eventually took on any commission people threw at him, which were a lot. Eventually, he would stop going to the boards. Days, weeks, and finally years would pass without any word. When someone does get ahold of him, he makes an excuse on why he didn't complete the work. When that doesn't slide, he attacks the people who commissioned the work from him.

For more info about the Chris Howes incident, go to:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/cell-block-6-bad-trades/118922-chris-howes-professional-sculptor-custom-headsculpt-commission-artist.html

Anyway, that isn't to discourage anyone from doing commission work from a sculptor. Just that be cautious when choosing your sculptor. Make sure he is well-know within the sculpting/12 inch community and that he fulfills his request (that is if the sculptor requests a down payment.)

I realized that with 3d printing becoming more popular each day, it might be better to commission a 3d artist and find a service like shapeways to print the prototype. Sculpting in 1/10 scale is harder than sculpting in 1/6 - most six inch figures were originally 12 inch sculpts, which were shrunk down to 6 inches.

One of the only side characters worth a darn in Thor or the Avengers. I don't need a figure of him but I do complain that he had to die versus that evil, horribly acted character from Thor who helped Loki. I thought the was a bad guy in Thor, something about his eyes, the way he talks, and his voice, really bothers me.

I would love an agent Coulson figure, don't know about the commission thing but if Hasbro made one I'll definitely buy it we really need a 6'' suited body.

For the most part commission someone to sculpt the head and have it cast is safe. However, it opens its own can of worms.

Also, choosing your sculptor is a critical step in the whole process. You don't want to choose someone who ends up charging a lot for a head, yet does an okay job on the headsculpt whereas the portrait is off.

Seeing how commission works in the past, it is relatively easy yet takes time. Someone like Jahue makes a thread like this to get interest. Meanwhile, he contacts various sculpots online to see who is willing to take the commission work. He then gets in contact with a sculptor who agrees to do the headsculpt. This is where negoiations such as price and quota comes in; The sculptor may not start until there is certian amount of definite buyers. Once he starts, he tends to post W.I.P images onto the thread where the buyers and anyone else give their feedback. This is where the list might grow - some people might like the look of the headsculpt and jump in. After some changes based on feedback, the sculpt is finally done. This is when the buyers pay for the headsculpts (unpainted and/or painted.)

Usually the sculpt might be done or near completion by the time a poster makes an interest thread. For example, here is an interest thread for an "Angry Frank" 12 inch headsculpt.

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109999

Here is a headsculpt commission thread from start to finish:

http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95853

If someone did this, each head would probably be around $30. I would buy a head for that price though (assuming the likeness was dead on).

Not sure why you were given a negative. The price you listed is reasonable. People charge between 35 - 100 (normally around 50) dollars for an unpainted, but newly commissioned 12 inch head. Sure the price drops may drop over time, but the price of a head is what the sculptor charge for.

The sculptor's experience also affects the price. With that said, it is possible to get a Hot Toys quality headsculpt (the majority of the Sideshow and Hot Toys sculptors started off doing commissions; some still do commissions to this day), though I am not positive if a 1/10 scale head would be as detailed as a 1/6 head. There is a sculptor that sculpts for companies like DC direct and sideshow statues who does commission.

Here's an interesting thought. I apologize for writing a lot at this thread, but what body would you guys like the head be made for? This question is important so as the head can fit on a specific body without looking out of scale. The MM suit bodies, the DCUC Sandman body, the DCSH/DCUC Twoface/Riddler body, the ML Professor X body, etc.

Here's an interesting thought. I apologize for writing a lot at this thread, but what body would you guys like the head be made for? This question is important so as the head can fit on a specific body without looking out of scale. The MM suit bodies, the DCUC Sandman body, the DCSH/DCUC Twoface/Riddler body, the ML Professor X body, etc.

Don't apologize you have a lot of good insight. I appreciate all the responses. For me I think the Harvey Dent body would be best because it is a movie figure and they tend to be scaled smaller than DCUC or a Legends body. I also think the aesthetics and articulation would lend itself to the movie look for Coulson to fit in with the rest of the Avengers and Fury. I would love for Rick, Jin and others who buy or make customs throw their 2 cents in as far as sculptors who might be willing to take this on or who could accomplish it.

Don't apologize you have a lot of good insight. I appreciate all the responses. For me I think the Harvey Dent body would be best because it is a movie figure and they tend to be scaled smaller than DCUC or a Legends body. I also think the aesthetics and articulation would lend itself to the movie look for Coulson to fit in with the rest of the Avengers and Fury. I would love for Rick, Jin and others who buy or make customs throw their 2 cents in as far as sculptors who might be willing to take this on or who could accomplish it.

It would be great hearing other people about their two cents. While I love the work of customizers such as Jin, they are a different group of people than sculptors; Jin is good at fabricating stuff, but I don't think he can sculpt a head of a celebrity. There are a few good sculptors at He-man.org and maybe Fwoosh.com

It would be great hearing other people about their two cents. While I love the work of customizers such as Jin, they are a different group of people than sculptors; Jin is good at fabricating stuff, but I don't think he can sculpt a head of a celebrity. There are a few good sculptors at He-man.org and maybe Fwoosh.com

doom saber has an admirer

I remember that there is one popular sculptor in Hong Kong who takes commission; she is known on the 1/6 boards.. She is a good sculptor as long as she is given proper head measurements, feedback, and lots of image references. Without lots of references, it is a miss especially in the profile area - in other words, her head sculpt would have great likeness in frontal view, but poor likeness in side/profile view. She does primary 12 inch figures, but has also sculpted custom heads for Jakk Pacific.

The catch is that the price for the initial head is 235 dollars. However, she will put the sculpt on sale for everyone to buy at 25 dollars - she charges 25 regardless of scale size. If anyone wants to do a group buy on Coulson or any other head sculpt might want to pool their money together for the initial head (minus 25 from the head cost, divide by x number of ppl for cost per person. Have one person to pay the spilt cost plus 25 for the first head. Everyone can then pay 25 for their own head. It comes out evenly.)

Here is her website in case anyone wants to have her do commission work; buy 1/6 or Jakk pacific heads; or want to see her work:

http://www.wantedactionfigure.com/index.asp

Thanks

jealous?