Avengers Movie

Belmont13

I could just go on and on. I looked at my wife when it was over and said, "That has to be the best comic-book movie I have ever seen." You know what she said? "That's probably the best movie I've ever seen period!" And that's coming from "Mrs. The Help/Steel Magnolias/The Notebook/Pretty Woman" herself. (lol) I can't wait to see it again...

holy moly! The best movie ever?!?! wow that is quite an endorsement. I don't think I can put it into my top 30-50 just yet because the most important thing to a good movie for me is the story and that's not one of this films strongest areas IMO. But I'll have to see it again, and again.

Better than Steel Magnolias?! only if we abandoned Ultimates Sam Jackson Fury for Classic Tom Skerrit Nick Fury. :)

Meh...black or white, I bet he would have fired that bazooka the same way...

Damnit... These posts brought up the memory of Hasselhoff Fury...

N_Fury.jpg

My sentiments on the issues with Thor's characterization in the movie. I think they really downplayed his power, as he is really supposed to be the most formidable Avenger. Ah well, what's done is done, maybe the creative team needed to do a little more of their homework. I do like the way they were able to play up Cap's leadership, though more with the cops than with the team. Mark Ruffalo was definitely a better Hulk than his lead man predecessors. It was obvious that wise-cracking Robert Downey Jr. was the star that the directors catered to the most, thus his character was the one to assume the glorious "take one for the team" (or better yet the entire island of Manhattan) scene in the end. Finally, as the alien swarm descended from the space-warp chasm, how mightless did the Black widow look, staring up at them with her pea-shooter handgun?

• Like 1

I could just go on and on. I looked at my wife when it was over and said, "That has to be the best comic-book movie I have ever seen." You know what she said? "That's probably the best movie I've ever seen period!" And that's coming from "Mrs. The Help/Steel Magnolias/The Notebook/Pretty Woman" herself. (lol) I can't wait to see it again...

holy moly! The best movie ever?!?! wow that is quite an endorsement. I don't think I can put it into my top 30-50 just yet because the most important thing to a good movie for me is the story and that's not one of this films strongest areas IMO. But I'll have to see it again, and again.

Better than Steel Magnolias?! only if we abandoned Ultimates Sam Jackson Fury for Classic Tom Skerrit Nick Fury. :)

Meh...black or white, I bet he would have fired that bazooka the same way...

Damnit... These posts brought up the memory of Hasselhoff Fury...

N_Fury.jpg

Yeeeeah.....maybe some day I'll muster the strength to watch those movies. But it ain't at the top of my to-do list.

My sentiments on the issues with Thor's characterization in the movie. I think they really downplayed his power, as he is really supposed to be the most formidable Avenger. Ah well, what's done is done, maybe the creative team needed to do a little more of their homework. I do like the way they were able to play up Cap's leadership, though more with the cops than with the team. Mark Ruffalo was definitely a better Hulk than his lead man predecessors. It was obvious that wise-cracking Robert Downey Jr. was the star that the directors catered to the most, thus his character was the one to assume the glorious "take one for the team" (or better yet the entire island of Manhattan) scene in the end. Finally, as the alien swarm descended from the space-warp chasm, how mightless did the Black widow look, staring up at them with her pea-shooter handgun?

that gun's a glock 30 chambered in 9mm usually a pea shooter is chambered in .22

compensation, or a lack thereof...

Thanos creator, Jim Starlin pays to see "the Avengers"...

http://www.comicsbea...r-lack-thereof/

That is sad. But I'm glad I decided to read that article and browse the comments, because I learned the real reason behind the redesign of Kirby's Fourth World characters for the Super Powers merchandise. It'll be even more ironic now when I see people complain about those figures being made in DCUC instead of something they would've preferred.

I can't believe that someone on that website said that they couldn't understand what the big deal was about why he should receive recogniton, because Thanos was only on the screen for a few seconds after the movie. If Thanos becomes the main villain in the Thor or Avengers sequel, I wonder if Mr. Starlin's movie ticket will be on the house (of Ideas), then.

I watched it again for the third time. It was just as good that time as the first. The one thing I really liked that I missed the first two times was Loki moaning after the Hulk pounded him. I missed Hulk's "Puny God" the first time but caught it the second time.

Just read through the entire thread, a few thoughts.....

~Saw it last night with my 11 year olds, all 3 of us loved it.

~Ruffalo was the start of the film, he completely stole the show and, IMO, he is perfect because the acto needsto be more Banner than Hulk. I felt the same after seeing Tobey in the 1st Spider Man flick.

~Hulk's contol/no control was weird to me as well, but as was said earlier in the thread could have been frenzied by Loki or, perhaps being forced to change by some trauma/injury makes him go bezerker but, as he alluded to, status quo is him being in a constant angry mood, he can transform at will and if he does so, he is afforded control and some of his cognitive thought processes?

~I don't understand the negativity or comparisons to DC films.... As I recall, none of the Batman or Superman movies are without fault. And the notion that scenes/storylines are stolen from preceeding films? My only response is: And? These are comic movies, there are not that many unique ideas left, and in general Comics are a medium that is predicated on imitation.

~I loved Blade Trinity. Hannibal King alone was worth the price of admission. But then again, anything would have been beter than Blade 2.

~My list:

1. Avengers
  2. IM
  3. Spidey
  4. X-Men: First Class

Of course you don't see the comparisons just by looking at your movie list..........

Well, I don;t come here as often now as I used to so I guess I need to get caught up.

I never said I don't *SEE* the comparisons, what I said was, I don't *UNDERSTAND*, as in I don't understand why someone would be caught up on comparing scene X from one movie to some other. These stories are rehashed, rebooted and retooled multiple times over and seeing similarities from scene to scene is to be expected, these ARE, after all, superheroes we are talking about. There's only so much that can be done in this genre.

As for my list? I don;t understand great movie making because my faves are Marvel movies? As if my movie credentials would somehow be more robust if I listed Superman IV among the top 4? Please....... Batman Begins was great as was TDK, Sperman Returns was passable and GL? Come on now......

I love all comic flicks but I am a Marvel guy so my list would, of course, be skewed that way.

• 3 weeks later...