Avengers Movie

Belmont13

Marvel's The Avengers Wins Big At The Box Office... And We Do Mean BIG

View the full article

Cool, I was hoping it would do well I never dreamed it would do that well.

And I'm pretty sure it won't lose steam anytime soon. The reactions of the crowds at the theater today and yesterday were extremely positive. Lot's of people left talking about how they had to see it again. My wife and I are trying to figure out when we're going to have another viewing (my 3rd and her 2nd). Unfortunately having an almost 1 year old makes that difficult.

It's not so often you have a movie going 'experience.' That's what this was for me. It surpassed being either good or bad and was just an experience I'm glad I didn't miss. The only problem I noticed after the second viewing was the person on the projector left it a tad bit unfocused, just enough to keep you guessing, and I left with a headache. But even out of focus, that movie is awesome.

"That's the trick...I'm always angry." SMASH!

I held off till today like I do with all movies to see the matinee which is cheaper and the theater I was in was jam packed except for some small children talking through the movie I love seeing a movie with a large audience

I thought the movie was good, and I agree with not caring much for coulson, the slow beginning (car chase was boring), I didn't care for Hawkeye either.

I agree with many of the positive comments BUT what bothers me the most is that the movie felt like a DC Justice League movie.

The whole thing was Kirby's DC work on New Gods, Boom Tubes, parademons, the plot is a whole lot like Darkseid's anti life quest.

Iron man falling was absolutely like Superman Returns, and when there aren't too many superhero movies to begin with, you better believe the writers were aware of it, and if they weren't then it was the director's responsability to change it. I can't say the same for Transformers bc i never saw them; but marvel has a history of stealing lines and iconic imagery from DC and Superman. I guess its tough seeing as how Superman is the orignal superhero as well as the standard everyone measures against.

Finally someone has the courage to tell the truth of about the movie. I think a lot of people are pretending not to see the direct copying of these elements, again there are soooo many that it is way to obvious to see unless people choose not see or believe. If it was one comparison then fine but multiples.

Even the ending with the missle, straight from Kingdom Come, Batman in an armor suit tries to stop a nuclear missle to eliminate the threat at the source that would destroy both heroes and villians, but mix in the Superman movie with him shooting the missle off into space to explode (Superman I and II,....the elevator hits the Phantom Zone) and then Superman Returns falling down scene with Iron Man. I have seen other blogs and/or comments who said it seemed more like a Justice League movie than an Avengers one. So while most on TNI don't see it, it is making a buzz.

Another awesome scene is when Cap tells them that their is "only One God"......that was beautiful and is one of my all time favorite quotes of a movie.

There's a very big difference between your opinion and the "truth". Unless you have ironclad physical evidence that while Joss Whedon was writing the movie he said "Oh I'm gonna rip off Justice League, Kingdom Come, etc. then it's just that your opinion not the truth, big difference.

2 things,

1 - please don't harp on everything I say

2 - There are clear similarities, you say they are coincedence or not, I it isn't.......no big deal.

Jango mentioned that he liked that they had the courage to put the God line in the movie and I agree, so often today people are afraid to mention God in movies and you can forget Jesus because that is too direct with God it is vague but we knew who and what he was talking about and it was awesome. Hulk stole the show but Cap had the best line and you would expect it Tony to have it but not this time.

• Like 2

You know, I could really care less if they stole elements from other movies or other comic book story lines...what made this movie for me was the great onscreen interpretations of the characters, the interaction between them, and just how awesome it was to see them throw down with, and against, each other on the big screen.

Seriously, how awesome is it that we got to see Cap vs Loki, Thor vs Ironman, Thor vs Hulk, Hawekeye vs Black Widow, Thor vs Loki, Hulk smashing the hell out of Loki, etc, etc, etc all in one film? Not to mention the great verbal interaction between all of the characters. This movie really made all of these characters come to life, and interact with each other just like I imagined in my head when I was reading comics as a kid. And there were so many cool little moments for the fans...many have been pointed out in this thread...that I don't see how someone could have been sitting there watching this movie thinking, "Yep, this movie has no originality and has ripped off a bunch of other intellectual properties." Seriously, WTF?

I was too busy enjoying the movie, with a great big nerdy smile on my face, to even think about that kind of nonsense.

• Like 4

I would like to mention, the one thing that I didn't like about this film, and the only thing that stood out to me was Cap's outfit. There was something off on the head/mask...it looked a bit cheesy.

View the full article

And I'm pretty sure it won't lose steam anytime soon. The reactions of the crowds at the theater today and yesterday were extremely positive. Lot's of people left talking about how they had to see it again. My wife and I are trying to figure out when we're going to have another viewing (my 3rd and her 2nd). Unfortunately having an almost 1 year old makes that difficult.

It's not so often you have a movie going 'experience.' That's what this was for me. It surpassed being either good or bad and was just an experience I'm glad I didn't miss. The only problem I noticed after the second viewing was the person on the projector left it a tad bit unfocused, just enough to keep you guessing, and I left with a headache. But even out of focus, that movie is awesome.

I understand your situation, both times I went with my wife who's 5 months pregnant and we've realized how much your life changes with a baby and how there are some things we won't be able to do one the baby comes at least until it gets older. You hit the nail in the head it was all about the experience more than being good or bad I realized it today in my second viewing even though I still knew what was gonna happen I got excited when it did if anything I felt an increasing excitement when a scene I loved was nearing.

You know, I could really care less if they stole elements from other movies or other comic book story lines...what made this movie for me was the great onscreen interpretations of the characters, the interaction between them, and just how awesome it was to see them throw down with, and against, each other on the big screen.

Seriously, how awesome is it that we got to see Cap vs Loki, Thor vs Ironman, Thor vs Hulk, Hawekeye vs Black Widow, Thor vs Loki, Hulk smashing the hell out of Loki, etc, etc, etc all in one film? Not to mention the great verbal interaction between all of the characters. This movie really made all of these characters come to life, and interact with each other just like I imagined in my head when I was reading comics as a kid. And there were so many cool little moments for the fans...many have been pointed out in this thread...that I don't see how someone could have been sitting there watching this movie thinking, "Yep, this movie has no originality and has ripped off a bunch of other intellectual properties." Seriously, WTF?

I was too busy enjoying the movie, with a great big nerdy smile on my face, to even think about that kind of nonsense.

Exactly, couldn't agree more.

I would like to mention, the one thing that I didn't like about this film, and the only thing that stood out to me was Cap's outfit. There was something off on the head/mask...it looked a bit cheesy.

Yeah, I loved Cap in the movie his characterization was spot on but his outfit left a lot to be desired, I hated the zippers but the mask I hated even more, the only time I didn't mind the outfit that much when the mask was off.

View the full article

I held off till today like I do with all movies to see the matinee which is cheaper and the theater I was in was jam packed except for some small children talking through the movie I love seeing a movie with a large audience

You think children are bad try teenagers they are the worst.I usually try the matinees they're quieter but with Thor I went Friday night and I actually had to tell a teenager to shut up because his stupid comments were annoying me.

View the full article

I understand your situation, both times I went with my wife who's 5 months pregnant and we've realized how much your life changes with a baby and how there are some things we won't be able to do one the baby comes at least until it gets older. You hit the nail in the head it was all about the experience more than being good or bad I realized it today in my second viewing even though I still knew what was gonna happen I got excited when it did if anything I felt an increasing excitement when a scene I loved was nearing.

I've been very blessed to have members of my church stay and watch the little guy for us. The Avengers was the second movie Laura and I have seen together since the beginning of July when Cameron was born. Thing's will change when we move to Durham and are closer to the parents, though. And we'll need it with the likes of Amazing Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rises on the horizon.

On the subject of people talking during movies, I didn't have any trouble with kids or teenagers, just grown adults. The first showing started and I was sitting next to my wife with two empty seats next to me and I'm thinking, "Yes!" But as the lights dimmed and trailers started a couple came in, sat next to me, and discussed points in the film throughout the entirety of the film. When the Hulk first showed up the woman next to me said over and over and over and over and over and over again, "She's scared. Look how scared she is. She's still scared and he's gone. I can't believe how scared she was."

The second viewing wasn't as bad. I just ended up sitting next to the 'state the obvious guy.' He contributed such wonderful phrases as, "Their on top of Stark Tower," "That Hulk sure gets angry," "They have to work together," and "Apparently that boat can fly."

Saw it again tonight. Just as awesome the second time around.

I liked the first Cap movie costume a lot better too. But at least the new one dared to be superhero-y. If this was the 20xx's they would have all been in black leather.

The theater I was in was packed but I didn't have any problems with kids. I did hear one get excited about Thor after he did something cool. That's another thing Marvel did right in making these movies, they're roping in the next generation. They're winning on all fronts.

• Like 1

You think children are bad try teenagers they are the worst.I usually try the matinees they're quieter but with Thor I went Friday night and I actually had to tell a teenager to shut up because his stupid comments were annoying me.

I know that feeling.

I remember going to the midnight opening of Attack Of The Clones, and it was almost all high school kids in the theater. I was never so annoyed in my life. Before the movie started, this one kid behind us was asking questions like "The big hairy guy is Yoda, right? Is he gonna be in this movie?"

It was obvious most of them were just there for the social gathering and not for the movie itself. I had to do the same thing you mentioned, and tell the dumbasses behind us to shut up once the movie started.

This guy tends to be a hater but I always get a kick out of reading Ebert's opinion on these movies...whether I agree with them or not. Well he seems to like this one (I think?)

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120502/REVIEWS/120509997

This part amuses me coming from him:

""Comic-Con nerds will have multiple orgasms," predicts critic David Edelstein in New York magazine, confirming something I had vaguely suspected about them. If he is correct, it's time for desperately needed movies to re-educate nerds in the joys of sex. "The Avengers" is done well by Joss Whedon, with style and energy. It provides its fans with exactly what they desire. Whether it is exactly what they deserve is arguable."

Some of this is pretty underhanded. I also have a feeling that Roger Ebert has probably had sex with women less than even the nerdiest of "comic-con nerds."

Alright, I just read that review by Roger Ebert, and I'm wondering what his point was of his last sentence.

"The Avengers is done well by Joss Whedon, with style and energy. It provides its fans with exactly what they desire. Whether it is exactly what they deserve is arguable. "

Is he saying that fans of these movies deserve better? Or worse?

Alright, I just read that review by Roger Ebert, and I'm wondering what his point was of his last sentence.

"The Avengers is done well by Joss Whedon, with style and energy. It provides its fans with exactly what they desire. Whether it is exactly what they deserve is arguable. "

Is he saying that fans of these movies deserve better? Or worse?

Taken in context with the rest of that paragraph, I assume it's his way of saying that comic fans need to get a life.

LOL, yes, that last paragraph was...questionable at best and yet the only thing resembling an actual critique of the movie. Everything before that was basically a summary of the characters. How do I get that job??? You know, the kind where I can half-a$$ it some of the time and still get paid?

• Like 1

THAT was a review? It was pretty funny to read. The way I read it- "There's a guy with a shield, a guy with a hammer, a big green guy, a guy in an armor suit, a dude with a bow and arrow and some chick who doesn't have powers either like the bow and arrow guy but hangs around with the group". Ugh, I never have liked Ebert to begin with.

I like Ebert and respect that final paragraph.

Here is what Forbes had to say:

http://www.forbes.co...-doesnt-matter/

Wow, I agree with some of what this guy says in the forum, 1st post. I liked it more than he did but I agree with how overall bland it was.

http://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/viewthread.php?tid=505636

• Like 1

View the full article

The teens near me were talking but shut up real fast when the movie started

Hey did anybody have to sit through a half hour of commercials and trailers before the finally decided to play the movie?

Wow, I agree with some of what this guy says in the forum, 1st post. I liked it more than he did but I agree with how overall bland it was.

http://www.breathehe....php?tid=505636

One guy doesn't know what he's talking about and the other website starts with a Britney Spears pic that tells me how much taste those people have. I love how you start scouring the web for negative reviews, you're trying too hard.

• Like 3

View the full article

Hey did anybody have to sit through a half hour of commercials and trailers before the finally decided to play the movie?

Every time I go to a movie there's always half an hour of commercials, this one was no exception.

View the full article

They should stop giving us false starting times then

Every time I go to a movie there's always half an hour of commercials, this one was no exception.

I remember a time when the movies just started and we got to leave early too :P

http://www.breathehe....php?tid=505636

One guy doesn't know what he's talking about and the other website starts with a Britney Spears pic that tells me how much taste those people have. I love how you start scouring the web for negative reviews, you're trying too hard.

Easy to disregard something without hitting the points when the truth hurts a psuedo-reality. Because someone had a BS pics invalidates their points??.........people who use this tactic is the mark of liar to me. Also I purposely looked up the Forbes review because of how mindless Marvel Mobs attacked a female reviewer and Samuel L Jackson called out the three major critics who didn't care for the movie.

btw, I frequently read all reviews good and negative, did it more so for Green Lantern than any other movie to understand why the critics hated it, common complaint was that Green Lantern didn't suffer enough, it was like the good guy kept getting richer while those who suffer, suffered more.

I went to see if I could find an article where they say the Avengers was like Transformers and this is what I found. He is a lot harsh, does anyone agree that the movie was almost a direct rip of TF3?

http://bridgeoftheseparator.blogspot.com/2012/05/avengers-sucked-big-time.html

• Like 2