Avengers Movie

Belmont13

With the Avengers officially opening this weekend in the States, I started this topic to discuss the movie chime in with what you loved about it and what you didn't, were your expectations met? not met? surpassed? What could they do for a sequel,etc. I would like to ask anyone to please refrain from trolling comments no this is better than the Dark Knight, no DC comparisons whatsoever I don't want a Marvel vs. DC thread I just want a movie discussion. If you haven't seen it yet do not continue reading as spoilers would surely be mentioned, you have been warned SPOILERS may follow.

SPOILERS may follow....

Spoilers may follow

So how about that movie?? In my honest opinion it delivered, well worth the wait, the characters interactions were really good, as were the fight scenes and action. I believe this may well be the best on screen Hulk to date and one of my few gripes was that more could've been done with Hawkeye. I have some more opinions but I'll wait till everyone's seen it and discuss it further I hope everyone has or had as much fun as I did seeing it. How about that after credits scene?

Hulk was the best character hero

Loki is always good, love the actor and I love his rants, he captures the character beautifully with sympathy and arrogance

Nick Fury was good, better than I expected, enjoyed his character, love when he blew down the ship with the missle.

The second half of the movie really got going.

Hulk saving Tony

Exchanges between Tony and Bruce on the science stuff was great

The entire scene with Loki chasing Widow, Loki catching the arrow, it explodes, then Loki sounds off on the Hulk until the Hulk smashes the hell out of him, that entire scene is worth the movie alone

Dislikes:

Transformer like final battle in the city, stolen directly from the TF film complete with dragon machine aliens.

Thor didn't have much of a presence, he didn't stand out amongst the guys enough, too calm. I know he learned from his last visit but he is still Thor

Hulk moving like a gorilla

The plot was too simple and boring.

Hawkeye and Widow provided nothing to the movie

Iron Man chasing the missle was taken from the Superman movies 1 & 2 and the falling back to earth Superman Returns.

Overall Rating = B+

• Like 1

I agree with your likes, especially the Hulk/Loki scene that movie got so much cheer and laughter in the theater it was amazing. I did like Nick Fury getting more fleshed out and being all badass. The Final battle was great and it had to happen in New York like in the comics I guess you could say that it was similar to transformers but I didn't see it like that. I personally didn't like the Iron Man/missile that much I understand why it was done but in my opinion the preceding parts were much better. At least Black Widow got more characterization in this movie instead of being a footnote like in Iron Man 2, I liked her action scenes along with Hawkeye's. I also think that Jeremy Renner makes a good Hawkeye but he could have had better character moments but I guess he's not one of Joss's favorites. Again the movie is not perfect but it's really great for me it's an A+ or a 9.5. but you have your opinion and I respect it at least you liked the movie.

The only thing that was weird with Fury was that he was nice and kind, almost like a Prof X. That wasn't a bad thing but a different one, he championed the Avengers and I guess with my exposure I am used to the Avengers and Shield having a contentious relationship, but like I said I did enjoy Fury.

Also while I didn't like the missle I did like Tony spinning the blades to get the engine started, it showed the potential of the suit which is how powerful I imagined it to be.

• Like 1

The only thing that was weird with Fury was that he was nice and kind, almost like a Prof X. That wasn't a bad thing but a different one, he championed the Avengers and I guess with my exposure I am used to the Avengers and Shield having a contentious relationship, but like I said I did enjoy Fury.

Also while I didn't like the missle I did like Tony spinning the blades to get the engine started, it showed the potential of the suit which is how powerful I imagined it to be.

Yeah, it was kind of weird it's like they were trying to make him more sympathetic or likeable. I was expecting him to be more like he was in IM 2 where he would set Tony Stark right whenever he got one of his prima donna moments. You bring a good point about the armor in the first movie Iron Man punched a guy and sent him flying and in the second one he punched Whiplash in the face and he barely moved so it was good for the Iron Man armor to display its power.

I was all for it! Awesome movie! I can see the points being made about it's weak spots, but quite honestly I was able to get past that.

Mark Ruffalo was spectacular as the Hulk/Bruce Banner. I really enjoyed Ed Norton's take on Bruce Banner, but Mark seemed to just get the character and everything they did with the Hulk was wonderful in my mind. Hulk had probably some of the best moments in the movie as well. His taking the flying alien ship done on his own was awesome and what he does to Loki was just hilarious.

I thought Robert Downey Jr managed to do a good job of not hogging up too much of the screen. Considering that more of the average movie goer is probably going to be more familiar with him and not so much Cap or Thor, he did a great job of still playing Tony Stark, but not outshining his co-stars.

Captain America was great in his movie, but he managed to pick up things well in this movie considering he's now a man out-of-time. His costume was a little goofy in my opinion, but at the same time I was annoyed when this mask came of in the battle towards the end.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the Black Widow in this movie. I really didn't like the character in Iron Man 2, but they succeeded in fleshing out her character and background a bit more. I thought Hawkeye got a bit of the shaft in this movie. Jeremy Renner is a great actor and unfortunately Hawkeye spends most of the movie as Loki's thrall.

I will agreed that Thor was probably the bit of the downer in this movie. He really should have been front and center a lot more, but they seemed to have downplayed his powerset in the movie compared to the comic and he takes a backseat to Hulk.

While Thor may have fallen flat, Loki did not. I originally thought the best thing about the Thor movie was Tom Hiddleston's Loki and he brought it all in this one. Every bit as crazy and sinister as the comics Loki tends to be.

Nick Fury in my opinion was a little flat. Mostly because it really was just Samuel L. Jackson playing Samuel L. Jackson. Not anything we really haven't seen before. I originally thought Cobie Smulders was a good choice for Maria Hill, but boy was I wrong. They needed someone that was able to play a character that was much more take charge then what she was capable of here. Coulson's death was the part that was spoiled for me a few days ago when I was reading the character's wikipedia entry. I was kind of bummed out at that because he's the character that really bridged the movies together.

Yeah, the aliens were pretty much straight out of TF3, but the battle sequences really made up for it. In fact, the pretty much every battle sequence in the movie is eye-candy for any comic fanboy. Iron Man/Thor, Hulk/Thor, Widow/Hawkeye and the Avengers vs the aliens. And I have to say that the music playing and camera rotation around the assembled Avengers (you know the one you've seen in all the commericals), literally brought tears to my eyes. I've read the Avengers for over 25 years and that was a big childhood moment come to life for me.

The ending however was the highlight of the movie for me. BIG SPOILER!! The little turn and reveal of none other then the mad titan (and my favorite comic book character) was the biggest geek-out moment of my life watching ANY movie. I can't wait for the sequel and I really can't wait to go and watch this movie again.

• Like 1

Iron Man chasing the missle was taken from the Superman movies 1 & 2 and the falling back to earth Superman Returns.

Come on...you can't say the scene was taken from a Superman movie. It's not like they sat there and said "What can we steal from Superman the movie???"

It may be similar, but unless they had the express intention of literally stealing scenes from other movies, you can't really say that.

• Like 2

Come on...you can't say the scene was taken from a Superman movie. It's not like they sat there and said "What can we steal from Superman the movie???"

It may be similar, but unless they had the express intention of literally stealing scenes from other movies, you can't really say that.

let the truth be heard!!

But i enjoyed it very much, i did think there may have been a little to much funny. but it worked most of the time.

hulk didn't need that much screen time cause he stole every part he was in!!

its hard to write parts for people with no real powers, but they made it work.

did anyone stay until after the credits...when they were all taking a break and eating in the diner, not saying a word, extra, not needed, but still funny!!

B++

The movie was awesome, and Marvel should be commended for actually making it work. They stuck to their plan when they announced Cap and Thor, and they will reap the awards.

I know the movie focused a lot on Black Widow, but it's Joss Whedon. And it works, she actually has character development. Loved the "puny god" scene with Hulk and Loki. Tom Hiddleston plays Loki so well that I was waiting for someone to put him in his place. Thor couldn't do it, but Hulk was ready to oblige.

I'll be seeing the movie again shortly with the in-laws, but I can't wait.

I saw it in 3D, and it made my eyes hurt. Can't stand 3D, going to see it in 2D today.

• Like 1

For the sake of peace I we just see it differently

Also, did anyone see the Hot Toys reveals........can you imagine a Hot Toys Hulk??? That would be the coolest thing since the Chris Reeve Superman

HottoyshulkTease.jpg

• Like 3

A little slow to start off would be my main gripe!! Well that and Agent Coulson!! But I had the misfortune of reading so I knew it was coming!!! The Chitauri were weak. Would have loved the Skrulls!!

Best parts:

Loki vs Hulk!!! Got the biggest cheer and laugh out of the audience!! So much so no one knew what Hulk said!! Seeing Loki lying there, in agony, priceless!!!

The first extra scene!! Can't wait for the Avengers to get galactic!!!

Thor trying to get to Cap, loved it!!

Iron Man vs Thor

Fantastic film. I can't flaw them for anything. it all meshed well. True the baddies were kinda cookie cutter that was the point. They were the stormtroopers of the universe and pretty much fodder to weaken whoever stood in "His" way. And that mid credits..To fight the humans is to court death. That dark smile. This gives me reason to think the movie world will do just fine in the time ahead :) Welcome to the world of movie pictures lord thanos

Also, did anyone see the Hot Toys reveals........can you imagine a Hot Toys Hulk??? That would be the coolest thing since the Chris Reeve Superman

HottoyshulkTease.jpg

Wow, that is awesome. I cannot afford Hot Toys, but I have always been a fan of their work, but this makes me have 2nd thoughts about gettting one. Just awesome

Umm...wow! You know there are certain films that I see and once they're finished I just wonder what could possibly be better? What will ever give me this feeling again? Watching the Return of the King and knowing the Lord of the Rings was over is one of them. Another is watching Dark Knight. But today, I left the theater and had it once again.

My wife will attest to the fact that I did my fair share of squealing with glee and grinning ear to ear. Most of those scenes involved the Hulk (Thor and Hulk's fight...Yeah!) and the first scene during the credits of Thanos had me clapping. This may be a dumb way to describe my experience, but all I can say is that The Avengers was a pure comic book experience in film. The effort put into connecting all of the pieces was magnificent and the end product wasn't breathtaking in the since that this was an artsy, deep, thought provoking drama, but breathtaking in the since that this was pure fun with superheroes that I love. As a big DC fan (but not quite fanboy) I have to give credit to Marvel. Who would've imagined we would see this film with the expensive actors of the original films to boot? Did we ever think we would find a Marvel Universe in film that was so very connected?

Coulson's death, to me, represented the deep connection all of these films shared. I was not spoiled going in and when it happened, my initial thought was "Nooooo!" and it had a huge emotional impact on me. But Coulson (his first name is agent) muttered something before dying (something along the lines of "It wouldn't have happened without this") and insinuated that his death would be the motivation for the team to come together and all of a sudden his connection to all of the other films had greater purpose.

I want to write so much, but no need to repeat what's been said. Solid film and easily catapulted into the realm of most favorite comic book movies. After tomorrow's second viewing I'll know a little better, but I'll give it an A+. The Avengers is one of the reasons I go to the movies.

• Like 1

The Avengers was a pure comic book experience in film.

Perfect way to describe the film.

I caught myself grinning ear to ear during the Hulk/Thor fight. I was completely geeking out. @lol@

As other's have said, best moment of the film was Hulk smashing Loki...loved it!

Wanted to add that as I was killing time on the internet, I stumbled upon Superherohype.com's comment section on the Avengers Movie. One person gave the best review I can think of in just one sentence: "It's as if God walked into the theater and said, 'Let their be epicness!'"

That's how I feel. Can't wait to see it again tomorrow!

it was an awesome movie my favourite part is where Hulk and Thor had just finished fighting the Chitauri and hulk just casually punches Thor. what was really terrible was the damn people in the theatre going up and down the rows of seats,talking, having their babies cry and this one girl stood beside me for five minutes before asking for me to move so she could sit with her friends.

Wanted to add that as I was killing time on the internet, I stumbled upon Superherohype.com's comment section on the Avengers Movie. One person gave the best review I can think of in just one sentence: "It's as if God walked into the theater and said, 'Let their be epicness!'"

That's how I feel. Can't wait to see it again tomorrow!

I saw that comment too and it cracked me up, but I think you captured it best with your 1st post. It was just fun. Pure fun, I smiled the whole time, like someone who had just been joker gased.

There's nothing to "see" differently. You can't just assume Joss Whedon had a list of movies to literally steal scenes from. It's absurd. There's no basis for such a claim. And as such, there is literally no way you can say that he stole the scene.

At most, you can say that a scene was created that coincidentally was similar to a scene from Superman the Movie.

Great movie, hugely satisfying. There was a lot to love:

Hulk-no need to repeat what everyone already said, he was a scene stealer. My GF liked him the best. I was also a fan of Norton Hulk and had never seen anything with Rufalo in it before this. Well, he did a great job. Loved the interaction between him and Tony. Hulk suddenly punching Thor was finny. I was going to pass on the Avengers 6" Hulk figure, thinking since I have the Face Off Hulk, you really don't need any more. Maybe you still don't....but because of this movie, that figure is now a buy!

Coulson-his death almost needed to happen. When you think about it, he was the common thread thoughout all the previous Marvel movies, the link. When you need a device to bring all these big, quarreling egos together, a death like that will do the job. Maybe that was the reason for the character all along...

Tons of high profile actors and tons of everyone's favorite superheroes in this movie. The chance for a mass cluster _____ of costumed freaks is very high. However, these many characters on film were handled about as well as anyone can expect. Everyone got their time to be cool and I think they delivered.

Good humor throughout. Everyone got in at least one good line. Suprisingly, my favorite wasn't even from a superhero, but a no-name SHIELD agent who quick played Space Invaders once Fury left the room. So random, and definately my brand of humor :) Maybe Wheedon can instruct other big budget action directors how to insert humor that isn't raunchy and forced (coughMichealBayCough).

Lots of fan boy geek moments made it to film: Hulk not lifting Thor's hammer, IM and Cap teaming up to bounce IMs ray beam off Cap's shield, the helicarrier lifting off (a "wow" moment that you don't get too many of since we've all seen almost everything done in movies now), IM getting that propeller to spin...and many, many more.

I was consciously looking for Stan Lee all movie long. Was about to give up hope. Thankfully, he showed up right at the end. Who was that old guy that talked to Banner when he crach landed naked? Was he a comic creator too?

negatives:

Yes-the final battle did remind me of TF3 too much, especially with slithering alien ships. Difference being, I cared about the characters fighing this year's invading aliens. The Avengers team up action that you get in this scene makes up for the framiliarity of the situation. Also, I MAYBE will watch TF3 once more in my lifetime (once is generous), I will see Avengers many, many more. Get me the Blu-Ray!!!!

Grade: A

• Like 2