Paul Orndorff Slams Bret Hart, Warrior, Flair

voltronforce

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/236022/Paul-Orndorff-Slams-Bret-Hart,-Warrior,-Ric-Flair-And-More.htm

-"Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff was a guest on Inside The Ropes' 15th episode, where he talked about several topics and slammed a few legendary wrestlers. His interview stars 42 minutes, 20 seconds in.

On facing Ric Flair for the NWA World Title in 1982: "He was just another body. Some are better than others. I believed in making it look real. I was probably hard to work with because I wanted it to make real and I knew how to wrestle."

On working the first Wrestlemania in the main event: "It was special. There were so many people. It was the largest crowd to ever watch it. And then the pay per view of it was just ungodly. This was my opportunity to be really noticed and be seen. My paycheck….it was huge. I made more money in that 30 minutes than I did in a whole year with the NWA. People expected it and they were gonna get it from me."

On working with Mr. T: "I wasn't crazy about it. I was very protective WrestleMania 1of the business. I was taught that. You take care of it. You don't give out all your trade secrets. But then again you look at somebody like Ric Flair and you can say how can you hide something when they look like that? So I guess I started to give in a little bit."

On the transition in WWF from wrestling to entertainment in the 1980s: "It depends on your personality. I protected it. To me that wasn't protecting it. As you can see right now, because they didn't protect it, where it is now, there's only two shows now. Look how many there was, there was one in every state, now look where it is."

On Vince using bigger guys like Warrior: "I thought it was the worst move they could've made. Vince did it on purpose. He did it so he could be the only one."

On Warrior: "He never paid his dues. You gotta pay your dues, go and learn your trade that'll make it better when you are on that big stage. It's called experience and nobody has any now, because there's nowhere to go to get it."

On giving the belt to smaller stars like Savage and Bret: "No. Absolutely not. It's like putting the belt on someone who wants to be a wrestler. It didn't work. It downgraded, made the belt worthless. When Terry Funk, Harley Race had world titles, it meant more."

On the rumor that Hogan wouldn't drop the belt to Bret in 1993: "I don't blame him. I wouldn't have either. Bret Hart was a nobody from Canada and Hogan was the greatest star in wrestling. I don't blame him. He did the right thing."

He also gave some quick fire thoughts on several wrestlers:

-Ultimate Warrior: "I gotta go to the bathroom………………..NEXT!"

-Vince McMahon: "One of a kind."

-Hulk Hogan: "Great."

-Bret Hart: "I don't care much for Canadians."

-Randy Savage: "OK."

-Ric Flair: "A Joke."

I'm sensing some personal venom going on here. To Call Hogan great but Flair a joke? I call Bullshit. Hogan built his career by supressing other talent. Flair built his by making everyone look great for an hour every night and STILL getting the win.

I do have to agree with what he said about wrestling now. No one has time to fine tune their craft before they go to wrestle on the big stage. Hell no one is really allowed to creat their own persona either anymore.

• Like 1

Mr. Wonderful??? :huh: More like Mr. Miserable.

Sounds like a guy who became bitter over the years due to his peers having more success in the wrestling business than he.

I'd have to agree. I normaily pride myself on not often asking "who" when I hear of older wrestlers.. But hell if I've never even really heard this guy talked about int he same light as all the men he trashed.

Couple of things with Paul Orndorff. If he gives an interview, it's almost always in character. He's usually always Mr. Wonderful and he'll call out whoever he sees fit. That being said, one person he's bashed the most over the years is Hulk Hogan, so this whole interview is really screwy. For years, he said that Hogan held him down and he never got his shot at the WWE title.

If the whole thing is for real, he's off his rocker if he's badmouthing the talents of Bret, Flair AND Savage. Maybe one, but not all three.

Wasn't Savage bigger than Funk bodywise?

That's a tough one. Both guys were actually about the same size, but I think I would give the advantage to Savage as far as muscular weight.

Orndorff was a legit tough guy he knocked a hecklers teeth out back in the 80s. Warrior, Bret Hart, Flair couldn't hang with him in a shoot he would beat the living you know what out of those guys. Hogan said Orndorff used to beat up so bad he couldn't get out of bed the next day. And the big bully Big Van Vader Orndorff beat him too

3. Big Van Vader-Paul Orndorff(Sept 95). This is what lead to Vader getting has walking papers from WCW a few weeks before a PPV he was supposed to main event. Orndorff was working as a Agent as well as wrestling at the time. The version I've heard of this one is that Vader got into Orndorffs face and things escalated. Orndorff kicked his ass in pretty short order. The part that makes this one famous is that he did it while wearing flip flops. Terry Taylor said they had to pull Paul off of Vader to stop him from stomping him to death.

This is the first time I've heard of this story, thanks for sharing. I have heard of his reputation as a tough guy and how rough he was in the ring according to Hogan's accounts. Other than being able to see his matches in WWF with Hogan via DVD, I was able to watch Orndorff perform during his days in WCW in the 90s, I was a fan of the guy.

It just gets me on how bitter some of these men get when they realize their peers had greater success in the wrestling biz than they, so all they have left is to bash them in shoots.

I love how he praised Hogan and dissed Flair..........Flair is good but Hulk Hogan redefined wrestling and it really is pretty disgusting how people can equate Ric Flair to Hulk Hogan. To this day, Flair can't do the level of national/international work as Hulk Hogan because most do not know who he is. Hulk Hogan took wrestling beyond and above anything anyone else has done, plain and simple bar none, and no amount of talent Ric Flair has can change that fact, Flair means a lot to the sport but not the business and that is the BIG GIANT DIFFERENCE

• Like 1

This is the first time I've heard of this story, thanks for sharing. I have heard of his reputation as a tough guy and how rough he was in the ring according to Hogan's accounts. Other than being able to see his matches in WWF with Hogan via DVD, I was able to watch Orndorff perform during his days in WCW in the 90s, I was a fan of the guy.

It just gets me on how bitter some of these men get when they realize their peers had greater success in the wrestling biz than they, so all they have left is to bash them in shoots.

I think Paul is working in "character" much the way Iron Shiek continues to do you know being that mean heel but with that said Orndorff really never liked Flair as a booker or a wrestler because he felt what he did in the ring "exposed" the business. Again Orndorff was pro athlete played with the New Orleans Saints the man was the real deal.

I love how he praised Hogan and dissed Flair..........Flair is good but Hulk Hogan redefined wrestling and it really is pretty disgusting how people can equate Ric Flair to Hulk Hogan. To this day, Flair can't do the level of national/international work as Hulk Hogan because most do not know who he is. Hulk Hogan took wrestling beyond and above anything anyone else has done, plain and simple bar none, and no amount of talent Ric Flair has can change that fact, Flair means a lot to the sport but not the business and that is the BIG GIANT DIFFERENCE

Amen brother couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE