New G.I.Joe Figure Repaints On The Way?!?

The Wire

Mine arrived today, got them at cost with the help of a TNI board member!

So glad to have this set. They are easily better than anything we'll see from Retaliation toys. I'm glad to get the originals because I really have no interest in the repaints at all. Also glad I don't have to hunt anymore. Now I just have to decide whether or not to open them. This comes at a great time....too much bad news in the Joe world lately.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine arrived today, got them at cost with the help of a TNI board member!

So glad to have this set. They are easily better than anything we'll see from Retaliation toys. I'm glad to get the originals because I really have no interest in the repaints at all. Also glad I don't have to hunt anymore. Now I just have to decide whether or not to open them. This comes at a great time....too much bad news in the Joe world lately.

Were those repaints ever even produced? I have never seen them on Ebay or mentioned anywhere else. Let me ask you yojoebro... Which is your favorite? I lean more toward Storm Shadow or the Cobra Trooper. Also, do you think Snake Eyes is a little too short? He looks like the younger brother tag-along that would want to hang out with the others.

really looking forward to Shipwreck, SS, and a couple of CC's. The arms and legs make a vast difference compared to the blue one a few years back that i just painted black. I have no dollar stores near me at the moment, but I will be moving soon and the hunt can then begin.

I can't pin down a favorite. Even the CC that I wasn't too excited about is cool. He reminds me of the CC that was on the cover to marvel's GI Joe #100. If I HAD to choose I may say storm shadow. But I also like Snake Eyes. I can't tell if he's shorter or not. It's the same mould as the 25th v3 Snake Eyes, though...If the repaints aren't on ebay then I'd say they're just not out yet. Not going to hunt those down though.

I actually opened my Shipwreck and CC the other night, and these are high-quality; this Shipwreck is now officially my favorite version. I'm just not crazy about his weapon and/or accessories. I wish he had come with some cool yet minimal webgear and a sub-machine gun of some sort instead of that weird Renegades blaster-thingamajig. It's a very solid figure with nice, tight joints. The same goes for the Cobra Commander, although his arms don't seem to match his legs, like from the waist up he's too big or he's too small from the waist down, like they tried to combine two different molds and it looks a little odd. The only other thing I would have liked to have seen on him is a silver Cobra emblem on his chest somewhere. Otherwise these are great figures.

Got SS, SE and Shipwreck tonight. They are a thing of beauty. Passed on CC and Duke. DO not like either at all. I grabbed a soldier but have not made up my mind yet.

Draven

I'm still trying to figure one thing out, are these being found at Dollar General or Family Dollar, or both stores?

Just Dollar General. 3 of the 4 in my town got them 2 days ago.

Draven

Ok thanks...I tried 1 of only 3 Dollar Generals we have in my entire state and I found absolutely nothing.

I've been checking my local Family Dollar stores too just in case. It can't hurt...

I hate to seem greedy, but...I'm already chomping at the bit for the purported second wave of repaints.

DAMN IT! I just did some research and I don't think there's a Dollar General in my area! (Rhode Island) ><

Don't feel too bad about that! My town has four and there are around 20 or more within about 20 to 30 minutes driving distance. I live in rural Western N.C. and Dollar Generals seem to pop up around here overnight. I can say though that out of all of those stores, only two have gotten these figures. The one where I got my set, and the one where another collector I know got his. That's it. I am at most of the stores every Friday morning or Saturday because I have been told by all that trucks come in on Thursdays and they don't unload toys until Friday or Saturday. I was reading on another forum that the reason these are so hard to find is because they have no peg space on the stores' planagrams, so they are using the pegs that had, or have, the Marvel Univers figures because they are already marked at $6. Then, when they sell out, the managers order the empty pegs. Thus more MU show up instead of the GI Joes. I guess we can take that with a grain of salt, but none of the stores in my area besides the two have had them, and they have not gotten any more. I am still searching so I can hopefully help some other collectors get them. Just don't feel bad Dragonrider... It might be even more disheartening to have A LOT of stores that never have them instead of no stores. At least you don't have to drive around like some nut hunting for them. You also have fellow collectors (like myself and my husband) out there that are searching for them for you.

On a side note... Why the heck has no other store gotten them?! Dollar store exclusives have always included Dollar General AND Family Dollar! Anyone else besides me think that Family Dollar might get that other wave of repaints? I think that it would be better if Family Dollar carried them anyway. I think Family Dollar stores are much nicer and more organized than Dollar Generals. My opinion anyway. Maybe if Family Dollars got them there wouldn't be this whole hassle with restocks and such. No more one and done. Dollar Generals are just too disorganized with merchandise everywhere. I don't know about all of them, but most of the stores here have toys all over the store. Randomly hanging on the sides of endcaps, in the seasonal department (and not seasonal toys either). It just seems to be a mess. When I go into one looking for these Joes, I have to search the entire store, almost every aisle, because they are so random with the placement of their merchandise!

I'm like you angie...Dollar General stores usually look like they're setting back up after a tornado hit. (lol) They just seemed so jam-packed and disorganized.

I don't know that I paid very close attention the first time I found these figures, but...it seems like that first store did indeed have one spot for these figures, but any time I've checked since, I've never found it again. There's just a spot for those little Combat Heroes figurines. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought these were a one time deal. But another anomaly is that these were often placed on the incorrect j-hook for the wrong price. I actually got a couple of them for three bucks when they probably should have been six because they were in the wrong place. I just thought at the time that's how much they actually were. So perhaps the price confusion has been another mix-up that has things all wrong and that's why they're not so readily available. Maybe whoever did the stock plan layout (I can't remember the correct term for this) is to blame, and they're all sitting in the Dollar General stockrooms all over the country, waiting for the correct spot on the shelf to open up when they move all of their Combat Heroes stuff. This whole deal has just been so bizzare and surreal from a collecting standpoint...

Here's a new report for all you collectors out there! I had to travel out of town today to a destination that I do not get to that often. There are three Dollar Generals in this town, 2 new ones, and the old one that is part of a building that is shared with Big Lots. I went into the newest one and found nothing. Then I went into the older store and found nothing... then I went into the oldest new one (does that even make sense!?) and saw a small child carrying around a Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. Oh Crap!?! Here I go beating it to the toys aisle. I search and find nothing. So, being the talker that I am, I go and find the kid that had them and ask where he found them (greeting his mother first of course... I am not going to just talk to a child and get carted off for being some sort of freak). He then leads me to an aisle, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GROCERY SECTION where he found them. Yes, the grocery section! There, smack between an aisle with breakfast cereal and an aisle with assorted snacks, was an aisle with toys! WHAT?! No wonder I can't find these things in the stores! On this aisle was a selection of dolls, figures, and board games, along with a crapload of Combat Heroes and guess what... a Cobra Commander and a Shipwreck! Captain Crunch, Cobra Commander, and Shipwreck! All on one aisle. This is what I mean by "check every aisle in Dollar General for these figures" because these stores are a complete and total mess! No telling how many stores I have been to and couldn't find anything because I wasn't looking between the cereal and snack aisles! Sheesh! So, long story short, I have a Shipwreck and a Cobra Commander that I am willing to trade if anyone has any Retaliation toys they may want to get rid of. Get in touch with me if interested. If I don't get any trade interest, I will just sell them at cost to whomever contacts me first. I would like to have some Retaliations though if I can trade for some. Thanks guys and go back to your local Dollar Generals and look in every nook and cranny. They could be ANYWHERE! By the way... I asked the child in the store if he was going to get the figures or if he was just carrying them around trying to convince his mom to buy them. He went and asked his mom and she said "maybe" I followed them around, just out of sight for a minute hoping that she would pass when the figures rang up at $6 each. She had three other children with her who were all getting much cheaper toys. They got in line, the kid asked one last time, and mom caved. I was still holding onto hope that the price would deter her. The cashier rang everything up and gave her the total. The mom hesitated a moment,, then paid. I guess she didn't realize what they had cost along with he few grocery items and the other kids' toys. I was defeated, but at least I got these two.

My town has three Dollar Generals and there are three more within 20 minutes driving distance and not one of them has had them and I have been checking off and on for the last week. Either I'm missing them or they have never got them in.

Does anyone know if these are 100% exclusive to Dollar General or discount chains in general? It would great if Wally or bigger chains got some of these guys in to help fill the void since the rest of the movie line has been pushed back until 2013.

if anybody has any extras of these lmk we can work out a trade.

As unforgiving as the Valley of the Sun can be on a Toy-hunter it can also teach lessons, such as heatstroke can hinder one's ability to run let alone walk to the far ends of the toy section, air conditioning is essential for your hunting "pony" vehicle, you don't want to hunt all day and come back find that your red ninja squad has conglomerated into a scarlet jabba the hutt type mess with arms, legs and swords convienently stuck to your car's floor mats. Soo as the Valley is littered with DG's I expected an easy time finding these treasures, buttt it seems like just getting a wiff of these joes is akin to finding the lost dutchman mine. I have had these joes in my dirty mitts but only at a local toy show where the friend prices were 20-25$ a piece. Soooo my inner Captain Bringdown said no young man lets wait til Xmas......I did like Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow but the rest were repaints so I'm gonna save some cash and paint my Cobra Blueshirts w/mah Sharpie for now.......I'm glad you hunters and madmen and women are getting lucky......

I have hit 10 Dollar Generals and only found one SE and SS. And talking to one store manage he knew what I was talking about and said one guy showed up once and bought the whole case as they were putting it out.

-One store did have the cheapy VvV/Spytroops single figures, 4 different backer cards where they have been sold over the past 6 years or so.

On a run today I tried the Family Dollar. No figures, there but they did have the budget line of Marvel Universe figures that DG carries so I guess it is still a posibility they could show.

Big Lots, nothing other than a couple of old comic packs. Not even any PTE sets.

I have hit 10 Dollar Generals and only found one SE and SS. And talking to one store manage he knew what I was talking about and said one guy showed up once and bought the whole case as they were putting it out.

that is actually not alarming at all. The case actually only has 6 figures in it, one of each