Dick_Grayson

Marvel Select

I was wondering for anyone that collects Marvel Select action figures or knows anything about them, are all Marvel Select action figures the right scale with each other, or are they all the same size?

I know that Hulk and Juggernaut are huge, and larger than the rest of the action figures. But what about the other characters in the line, are the rest of the action figures all 7 inches or do they vary in size? For example Cyclops is taller than Wolverine in the comics, so is the Marvel select Cyclops figure taller than the Marvel select Wolverine figure, or are they both the same size?

If anyone knows about these things, please let me know.

A majority of the MS lines are bit taller than they would be on a ML line. I only use Hulk, Red Hulk, and Juggernaut to display with my ML

Thanks for your reply Joe. I understand, but what I mean is are all the Marvel Select figures (except for Hulk and Juggy) the same size? Or are they all the correct height scale with each other? For instance is the Marvel Select Cyclops figure taller than the Marvel Select Wolverine and Marvel Select Spidey figures (just like in the comic book)? Or are all the Marvel Select figures all the exact same height with each other (example: Cyclops, Spidey, and Wolverine are all the exact same height)?

The majority of them are on the same scale but there are a couple that don't fit but it also depends on the pose some of them suffer from one pose syndrome mostly the earlier the most recent ones seem to be more uniform in scale, I don't own them all but I'm pretty sure the X-men and the Avengers ones go with each other very well from what I have seen in pictures.

Thank you guys for your help. Yea I noticed that the X-Men MS characters seemed to be in the correct height scales. Ive been looking for the classic Captain America, but ever since the figure has been sold out at the Disney store, its been going for ransom prices... Unfortunately the only MS Cap that I have found at a reasonable price, is the Bucky version of Cap.... I would really like for the Disney/Marvel store to put back up, the Classic version of Captain America....

Do you guys know if when items sell out at the Disney or Marvel store, if it usually comes back into stock? Or is the Disney/Marvel store the kinds of stores, that once something is "sold out", then its sold out permanently?

A lot of them aren't in scale with Legends, your best bet if you are looking for Select figures to go with Legends would be the larger figures like the ones mentioned above. Select did a fantastic version of Juggernaut that is simply a masterpiece. I am waiting to see exactly how tall the new Storm figure will be, I am hoping she can fit with the Legends line but she is likely going ot be out of scale, especially with the standard buck used for males in the legends line.

I'm not sure if once it's sold out, it's sold out for good. However, that Cap figure isn't that good.

Thanks man. Oh I see, I wanted to get the MS Cap because I already have the Spidey and "long eared" yellow costume Wolverine Marvel Select figures.

A lot of them aren't in scale with Legends, your best bet if you are looking for Select figures to go with Legends would be the larger figures like the ones mentioned above. Select did a fantastic version of Juggernaut that is simply a masterpiece. I am waiting to see exactly how tall the new Storm figure will be, I am hoping she can fit with the Legends line but she is likely going ot be out of scale, especially with the standard buck used for males in the legends line.

Thanks for all the information SP. That Marvel Select Storm looks great, so does Nightcrawler. The thing is to be honest with you guys, Ive been out of collecting Marvel figures for so many years, that I don't even know what's out there anymore (I feel the way that Steve Rogers felt in Captain America #100, after being thawed out and coming back into the world....). Even though my loyalty lies exclusively with DC Comics more so than Marvel, I'm still a fan of many of Marvel's characters....especially the ones that I grew up with (Spidey, The Hulk, Captain America, 1980's-90's X-Men, etc.). So Ive been wanting to get figures, of my favorite Marvel characters.

Last time I collected Marvel figure consistently was during the mid 1990's with the original Toybiz X-Men and Spider-Man the animated series toy lines. Last time I bought anything Marvel was when I bought the 18" Spider-Man 2 figure, with extreme posability (Spidey is my favorite Marvel character, so I had to get it) back in 2004. Since I already have most of the DC Comics action figures that I want, Ive been trying to collect new Marvel figures.

I'm confused about Marvel Select and Marvel Legends... So is "Marvel Select" the Marvel equivalent of DC Comics' s "DC Direct" and "Marvel Legends" is Marvel's equivalent of "DC Universe Classics"?

I ask because Ive noticed that Marvel Select figures tend to be much more detailed in terms of sculpts, and look to be more for display purposes. And Marvel Legends figures seem to have the same amount of articulation as DCUC, and the line seems to be catered more for kids and adults to display or to play with. Could any of you guys please school me on all the Marvel toy lines out there in the 6" - 8" scale?

I would really like to get into the Marvel action figure stuff.

• Like 1

One thing about MS figures that sell out, they sometimes rerelease them in "best of" cases. MS figures are great for sculpt, but lack in articulation. Your analogy to them being like DCD, versus ML is like DCUC would be correct. I have several MS figures, but prefer ML for standard 6" figures. Larger MS figures like Thanos, Juggernaut, the Watcher, Cloak and Dagger, work very well with ML. The Abomination and Hulk figures are awesome, but a tad large for my ML display. The Ultimate Thor and Hulk figures work well with ML figures as well.

017.jpg

I understand your dilemma, Dick Grayson, I had the same one but backwards, I'm mostly a Marvel guy but also enjoy DC in that regard DCUC was too obscure for me so I turned to DC Direct for my DC Comics fix but I was willing to sacrifice articulation in favor of sculpt and I'm still struggling to build a Justice League(the awful NDCU designs aren't helping) but enough about that. I recommend Marvel Select, earlier ones were hit or miss with some of them being outright bad but lately they have been hitting their stride and getting a near perfect blend of sculpt and articulation, plus by the sound of it you are more into classic designs which MS has been releasing more lately versus Hasbro who mixes classics with modern. Don't worry about that Captain America in my Disney Store it comes and goes with some periods of time been stocked plenty plus with the Avengers movie fast approaching and Marvel and Disney being money grubbing they'll ship it to strores again to coincide with the movie release. here's a link to Diamond's website so you have an idea of some of their releases:

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com/

One thing about MS figures that sell out, they sometimes rerelease them in "best of" cases. MS figures are great for sculpt, but lack in articulation. Your analogy to them being like DCD, versus ML is like DCUC would be correct. I have several MS figures, but prefer ML for standard 6" figures. Larger MS figures like Thanos, Juggernaut, the Watcher, Cloak and Dagger, work very well with ML. The Abomination and Hulk figures are awesome, but a tad large for my ML display. The Ultimate Thor and Hulk figures work well with ML figures as well.

017.jpg

That's a great picture Dragon. Yea Ive noticed that MS figures tend to be bigger, especially Hulk and Juggy...those guys are huge! I was surprised to see both at that size for under $20...the figures even weigh a bit..

I understand your dilemma, Dick Grayson, I had the same one but backwards, I'm mostly a Marvel guy but also enjoy DC in that regard DCUC was too obscure for me so I turned to DC Direct for my DC Comics fix but I was willing to sacrifice articulation in favor of sculpt and I'm still struggling to build a Justice League(the awful NDCU designs aren't helping) but enough about that. I recommend Marvel Select, earlier ones were hit or miss with some of them being outright bad but lately they have been hitting their stride and getting a near perfect blend of sculpt and articulation, plus by the sound of it you are more into classic designs which MS has been releasing more lately versus Hasbro who mixes classics with modern. Don't worry about that Captain America in my Disney Store it comes and goes with some periods of time been stocked plenty plus with the Avengers movie fast approaching and Marvel and Disney being money grubbing they'll ship it to strores again to coincide with the movie release. here's a link to Diamond's website so you have an idea of some of their releases:

Belmont you hit the nail right on the head. I am exactly into the classic look of Marvel characters (specifically their look from mid 1970's - early to mid 1990's)...which were the ones that I grew up with. When I was a toddler Spidey had the Romita Sr. look, and Wolverine had his brown and yellow suit Miller look, and Iron Man had his Secret Wars look (which is my favorite Iron Man suit). As a toddler I was first exposed to DC Comics because of Superfriends, and the "Super Powers" merchandise, DC t-shirts and pajamas, books, etc.. My favorite characters were Superman, Batman & Robin, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man, the Hulk, and Iron Man were the guys that went along with that group of favorites... As a toddler I had no idea that these guys were all from seperate rival companies, to me they were just great characters and I thought that they all knew each other.

I was a little kid in the 1990's and I still remember when I got my first real exposure to Marvel characters with the ToyBiz 1990 Marvel Superheroes line. That's when I encountered Captain America for the first time, the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, the Punisher (and his battle van), etc. I first learned about X-Men with the ToyBiz 1991 toyline the first wave, and then playing the Konami arcade game (that's my favorite X-Men video game to date). I also learned about the Avengers through the DataEast arcade game...I liked it so much that I even had the NES game...I was disappointed when I learned that the NES game was nothing like the arcade though....haha. But it was still fun playing as Captain America or Hawkeye...

But Anyway yea man, I would like a Marvel toyline that concentrates on Marvel characters' classic look. Ive noticed that most Marvel Select figures don't have intense or extreme facial expressions (which is what I prefer), than a figure with an ugly intense look. I know that the MS Hulk has a violent expression, but I expect that from the Hulk because hes driven by fury...since its part of his power. But I bought the MS yellow Wolverine because he looks exactly how he looked in the late 70's early 80's... The head sculpt looks great, and he has a calm expression. The Marvel Legends Wolverine has an extreme look on his face...yea I know the "berserker rage" haha, but I prefer figures with calmer looks than some intense look, as if the figure is trying to pass a kidney stone...

I want a Marvel toyline that concentrates more on classic looks of characters, have decent point of articulation (head, arms, legs, waist), and that all their figures are in height scale with each other...an example being that Cyclops be taller than Wolverine and Spidey, and Juggy being bigger than all of them. Thanks for the info man and the link.

Now that you know what I'm looking for, do you think that I should go with Marvel Select then, as the ideal Marvel toy line for what I'm looking for?

• Like 1

Dick, you're exactly where I'm at right now, although I think I might be a little older than you, and I'm not a huge DC fan. I like the Justice League characters, i.e. Superman, Batman, etc. Anybody beyond that is unfamiliar to me. I've always been more of a Marvel fan, but like you my ideas about the Marvel Universe characters mainly come from the Secret Wars series back in the '80s. Now when the '90s came along I was a nut for anything with mutants in it or Spider-Man. But I got out of collecting comics seriously probably in the early 2000s, although I continued to read Wizard Magazine right up until it went digital last year.

But yeah, like you I've recently discovered the Marvel Select figures, although I returned my green Hulk due to a scratch on his chest in the package I just couldn't get past, and I recently bought a Marvel Legends Ultimate Cap. So I can relate to you in terms of being interested in getting back into collecting comic-related figures. What I've seen of the MS figures I like so far. I'll definitely be getting another Hulk, and I'd love to have the MS Cap figures, along with any Iron Man and/or Thor figures. (I'm a huge Avengers fan right now, in case you couldn't tell...) (lol)

No they are pretty wacky with scale some times. Deadpool is too big. SO is both classic and movie Cap. Just a few examples.

Draven

Y'know...for some reason, as obsessive/compulsive as I can be sometimes, varying scales are not an issue for me, suprisingly enough. If I like a given character or characters, it doesn't bother me if I have figures of different scales on display. I think it looks cool even, if it's displayed right. For example, it's like that MS movie Cap that Draven's talking about; when I started seeking out Cap figures, he warned me that it wasn't as nice as the Walmart exclusive 6-inch figure. I can't remember if he told me how big it was, but I do recall being suprised at how big it was in person, and in my opinion it's a really nice figure. I've since researched the Walmart Cap, and it does indeed look nice as well. I've just not had the opportunity to see it in person like I have the MS one. My point is, I think the MS one is indeed alot bigger than the Walmart Cap, and the Walmart Cap may be more proportionate and more detailed in comparison actually, but since I love the character so much, I wouldn't mind having and/or displaying both of them. However, I can understand someone wanting one simple definitive collection of individual characters, and if you're gonna do that, I'd imagine you'd like for them all to be the same scale. I can see that. But as for me, and I can't believe I'm saying this really, but...I think an eclectic collection can be fun and interesting, that is, if it's done right and doesn't look like a indiscernible mass of plastic. (lol)

Oh I have them both but the WM Cap is better in just about every way. Its a little under sized but better than being taller than Movie IM MS figure @loll@

Draven

Does anyone have any version of Marvel Select Iron Man? I am requesting a comparison photo between MS Iron Man and the current Hasbro Marvel Legends figures. It seems all the Marvel Legends figures (even from the Toy Biz days) are undersized. I want to get a good version of Iron Man to pose alongside the new Marvel Legends Thor and Captain America figures...

PharmV

I have the movie MS Iron Man with the Tony Stark face underneath the helmet. It's a great figure, but I think he may be a little too big for Marvel Legends. Hasbro needs to find a medium between him and the Extremis armor figure.

Belmont you hit the nail right on the head. I am exactly into the classic look of Marvel characters (specifically their look from mid 1970's - early to mid 1990's)...which were the ones that I grew up with. When I was a toddler Spidey had the Romita Sr. look, and Wolverine had his brown and yellow suit Miller look, and Iron Man had his Secret Wars look (which is my favorite Iron Man suit). As a toddler I was first exposed to DC Comics because of Superfriends, and the "Super Powers" merchandise, DC t-shirts and pajamas, books, etc.. My favorite characters were Superman, Batman & Robin, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man, the Hulk, and Iron Man were the guys that went along with that group of favorites... As a toddler I had no idea that these guys were all from seperate rival companies, to me they were just great characters and I thought that they all knew each other.

I was a little kid in the 1990's and I still remember when I got my first real exposure to Marvel characters with the ToyBiz 1990 Marvel Superheroes line. That's when I encountered Captain America for the first time, the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, the Punisher (and his battle van), etc. I first learned about X-Men with the ToyBiz 1991 toyline the first wave, and then playing the Konami arcade game (that's my favorite X-Men video game to date). I also learned about the Avengers through the DataEast arcade game...I liked it so much that I even had the NES game...I was disappointed when I learned that the NES game was nothing like the arcade though....haha. But it was still fun playing as Captain America or Hawkeye...

But Anyway yea man, I would like a Marvel toyline that concentrates on Marvel characters' classic look. Ive noticed that most Marvel Select figures don't have intense or extreme facial expressions (which is what I prefer), than a figure with an ugly intense look. I know that the MS Hulk has a violent expression, but I expect that from the Hulk because hes driven by fury...since its part of his power. But I bought the MS yellow Wolverine because he looks exactly how he looked in the late 70's early 80's... The head sculpt looks great, and he has a calm expression. The Marvel Legends Wolverine has an extreme look on his face...yea I know the "berserker rage" haha, but I prefer figures with calmer looks than some intense look, as if the figure is trying to pass a kidney stone...

I want a Marvel toyline that concentrates more on classic looks of characters, have decent point of articulation (head, arms, legs, waist), and that all their figures are in height scale with each other...an example being that Cyclops be taller than Wolverine and Spidey, and Juggy being bigger than all of them. Thanks for the info man and the link.

Now that you know what I'm looking for, do you think that I should go with Marvel Select then, as the ideal Marvel toy line for what I'm looking for?

I got into the X-men toybiz toyline because of the cartoon. Toybiz had a great selection of superhero toys. I also just got back into the marvel toys. I have the apocalypse wave of marvel legends from 5 or 6 years ago. I really like Marvel Selects size perportion with certain characters. I also really like hasbro's new ml Thor and Bucky Cap. My advice would be to have your cake and eat it too. Pick and choice which characters you like from either brands.

Does anyone have any version of Marvel Select Iron Man? I am requesting a comparison photo between MS Iron Man and the current Hasbro Marvel Legends figures. It seems all the Marvel Legends figures (even from the Toy Biz days) are undersized. I want to get a good version of Iron Man to pose alongside the new Marvel Legends Thor and Captain America figures...

PharmV

I have a picture of MS Iron Man and Hasbro Marvel Legends but I don't for the life of me know how to post a picture.

I recommend for the moment Marvel Select but I'm gonna point you to the www.marvelousnews.com in their database section they have pictures of all the lines and you can see for yourself which you like best.

PharmV

I have a picture of MS Iron Man and Hasbro Marvel Legends but I don't for the life of me know how to post a picture.

You can get a free account on Photobucket and post a link to the picture on this site. Alternatively, I believe you can use the "insert media" button to post a picture.

In any case, how does the MS Iron Man look in comparison to the ML figures. Does it scale well?

PharmV