What's going on with Archangel?

yojoebro82

Just wondering what's up with him in the comics lately.

I had to drop X-Men (one of my favorite comics of all time) a few years ago because of price hikes and the non-stop increase in titles. I haven't read since the Second Coming storyline. Last I read he was able to change between feather winged Angel when he was hanging with the X Men, and Archangel when he was hanging with X Force but I never learned WHY that occued. He was keeping it a secret for some reason.

I flip through the books on occasion...he has two different forms now? Is he back with Psylocke??

I feel like I'm asking about an old highschool classmate...maybe I should call him, get a beer...

The archangel persona took over and he became the next apocalypse, X-force had to take him out...he survived but without any memories in tact, and he's back to just his human/Angel form, now attending Wolverine's Jean Grey School.

Thats the really short version. Uncanny X-force is an awesome read, much more depth to it than what I said.

• Like 1

The archangel persona took over and he became the next apocalypse, X-force had to take him out...he survived but without any memories in tact, and he's back to just his human/Angel form, now attending Wolverine's Jean Grey School.

Thats the really short version. Uncanny X-force is an awesome read, much more depth to it than what I said.

He does still have some metal in the wings as well. And yeah, Uncanny X-Force is great. As is X-Factor.

So who's working on these books now? I know that Rob Liefeld had come back to work on them at one point in recent years, which I will admit almost caused me to pick them up out of morbid curiosity. (lol) But I might be interested if the right creative team is in charge.

X-Factor is Peter David with Leonard Kirk on art.

Uncanny X-Force is Rick Remender with Greg Tocchini on art.

Liefeld seems to be doing some stuff for DC right now. He's not on any of the X-titles at the moment.

With X Factor I get the feeling that the editors are more or less giving David his space to write his stuff and let the reigns loose a bit which I really appreciate. This may have to do with the fact that their all 3rd tier mutants on that book. The powers that be don't care as much about Longshot and Richtor as they do about Cyclops and Wolverine. If the story is good (which it is) I couldn't care less. It will, of course, get sucked into the MAJOR X-events like Second Coming, but it's more or less as stand alone an X book as you can get. And it's still $3! Again, love it.

Rob Liefeld did an X-Force mini series a few years ago...somewhere between the X-Statics series and the newest incarnation of X-Force. Naturally, I stayed far away from that one.

It's kind cool what they did with him. He thinks he is an actual angel. They kind of hinted that he might have the power to bring back the dead too.

There are a dozen other moments to point at but this is clearly a "jump the shark" moment for the x-universe, seriously they are toying with the idea he may be an angel and could bring back the dead..........awful. Next Spiderman will be able to communicate with spiders like Antman does and will use them to foil the plots of his enemies, or maybe Batman is really part vampire, maybe he is 1/3 vampire or something like that?........ugh, this is why I don't read comics anymore.

• Like 1

It's not a "jump the shark" moment because anything in comics can be undone at any time.

I read the Wolverine and the X Men issue where he was introduced because I found it for 50 cents (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it at $4). It's kind of a WTF move but you have to keep in mind that Angel has barley had a personality since his debut so it could be worse. You'd have to see where they take it. Can't be worse than vampire Jubilee.

I agree that it doesn't sound like a worse idea than Jubilee as a vampire, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me and sounds just as bad. It's kind of like saying Warren as a mutant was a bad concept from the start, so let's turn it into something else. And adding new powers usually makes any character less likeable. Archangel was a good concept and direction. This just sounds stupid to me.

Warren has had the ability to heal people for awhile now. It's his 'second mutation'. Not saying whether it's dumb or not, just saying its not a new concept. The idea had been around for about a decade.

Best part of Angel was when he got stuck to the wall by Harpoon and Blockbuster!! Then subsequently, having his wings amputated, supposed suicide, then his triumphant return as Death; Horseman of Apocslypse!!!

Good time to be reading comics!!! Great storylines, long lasting ramifications, and cheap comics!!! LOL