The Hunger Games movie

Doom Saber

I watched the "Hunger Games" last night, and thought it was faithful to the book despite that it is quite different than the novel - there are scenes in the movie were it focuses on behind the scenes of the reality show. Because the book is told through the perpective of Katniss, there are no such scenes in the original novel. Other than that, a lot of the details are missing, a few of which I believe is for the better

the dead tributes genetically-altered into wolf men in the book are holographic, giant pitt bulls in the movie adaption.

. I think the movie is good, but feels like a dumb-down version of Battle Royale. If you are expecting this movie to be as violent as "Battle Royale" (like the two guys sitting next to me,) then you are in for a disappointment - this movie is rated PG13, and is based on a novel that was originally written for teenage girls.

While the theme of the film is very similar to Battle Royale (kids fighting to the death), it isn't as violent; there are plenty of deaths in the film, but saved for one memorable scene near the end of the film, most of the deaths are done quickly and cleany. At one point of the film, shaky camera effects are used to make a "bloodbath" scene harder to see.

Despite the lack of violence, the movie is still worth watching. However, if you are the type who love movies that is full of action and gore, you might be disappointed.

The Battle Royale movie was a dumbed down version of the manga.

No, it is a dumbed down version of the book. The book came out first, whereas the manga and the movie came out at the same year. I prefer the book since you get to learn more about the facsist, fictional Japanese government and most of the students on the island. The movie omits such information.

I read Hunger Games on Friday afternoon.

And saw the movie yesterday.

Both were decent. The film was 90% faithful to the book. There were some minor changes, but as far as adaptations go, it was pretty faithful.

My wife talked me into reading the books. I am just getting started on Mockingjay (things keep coming up for me that make me postpone it). I honestly don't think they are that good. Ok at best. While the story is interesting I can't stand the choice of P.O.V. I think it would be better served from a 3rd person limited pov. Then I would feel more like someone watching it live on TV.

As far as the movie goes...I think it was a fair adaptation. There were a few things I wish were in that were not.

Spoiler:

1. For instance Cinna telling Katniss "You must hate us." Is a really important line as it and I think his character loses a lot by not having it in the movie.

2. Speaking of hating the capital they really don't build up Katniss's hatred of the Capital which is very important.

3. Also Cato should have killed Thresh and not the dogs, and Cato should have put up a much bigger fight against the dogs to really show his prowess.

Other than that it was decent.