Anyone remember those X-Men Classics Iceman, Bobby Drake and Ultimate Iceman?

Devonstorm20xx

Anyone remember that Wave of X-Men Classics that featured the three variants of Iceman: Iced Up, Bobby Drake, and Ultimate Iceman w/durag and arm band? Did those actually end up being rare or did they end up releasing more of them?

Interesting story.

Went to Detroit, I live in Canada, on a regular run, and hit a TRU when these were shipping years ago. I had them run the #'s in the computer, I sort of knew the lady and she was helpful.

Anyways, they were getting a truck later that day because it was late and they were the only store getting a case, that she could see. all the other stores in the area were showing low numbers so they had already sold through theirs. So I drove around for 5 more hours after already driving around for 4 and made my Wife stay with me. It would have been too much to come back again, pay toll and gas twice that's like $40 total just for the day and the lady was going to hold the case personally for me.

I hit the other stores and just found remnants.

I waited until 8pm to go back, she got the case out for me, I was trembling, and low and behold it was an awesome variant cases!

So I own that figure! I never saw that one again either.

• Like 1

One Bobby Drake figure sold for $500 not too long ago.

#WTF# This is incredible....I passed on them and didn't look twice when they came out. @pow@

One Bobby Drake figure sold for $500 not too long ago. There are a couple or so of each on eBay right now

That is utterly ridiculous and kind of awesome. Back when I used to collect Marvel stuff I had the hardest time finding these guys. I even asked my sister in California to keep an eye out for me. I was that desperate. I finally managed to snag a a good deal on eBay and got all three and opened them for displaying (back when I still displayed my Marvel stuff). I then turned around and for Christmas my sister got me all three. So I have all three of these guys just hanging around. There are some slight creases on the card from storage but I don't think it will matter for Bobby Drake. Wow. Only thing is I have this weird thing about selling Christmas presents...Still, wow.

Thanks for the fast responses. Does anyone know what the official deal was with them being so scarce?

I remember when these came out and I wanted them all really bad but didn't find them. They were rare when they originally hit, sort of like Dragon Man and that FF animated wave...........did that even come out?

Yes, the second wave of the Toybiz FF series came out with Dragon Man and it is an awesome figure. If they were to ever revisit that mold as a BAF, it would have to be an 8 figure wave.

I think I was the first one on TNI to find Dragonman. I found him by accident; I was hanging out with a friend whom I haven't seen since highschool. Not knowing where to go, we were either thinking of taking a bus to Berkeley or San Francisco. We decided on the latter. We went to the comicstore at the Metrion where I saw a boatload of Kang and Dragonman figures. I can't recall if I had seen Sue Storm. I think they had 4 Dragonman, but only 2 or 3 Kang figures - I thought that I only had enough for one; turned out I had enough for two. Not knowing who to pick, I asked the cashier to choose for me. He picked Dragonman because he was bigger. So I got him. I am glad I did.

I wanted to go back and pick up Kang, but never did.

I also made a purchase yesterday on a ML Toad sans base for 9 bucks. I am someone who tends to prefer complete figures, but since Toad's base is man-spider's base (a base I already have), I don't mind. It is from the uk, but shipping is 8 dollars, which isn't bad.

I think I was the first one on TNI to find Dragonman. I found him by accident; I was hanging out with a friend whom I haven't seen since highschool. Not knowing where to go, we were either thinking of taking a bus to Berkeley or San Francisco. We decided on the latter. We went to the comicstore at the Metrion where I saw a boatload of Kang and Dragonman figures. I can't recall if I had seen Sue Storm. I think they had 4 Dragonman, but only 2 or 3 Kang figures - I thought that I only had enough for one; turned out I had enough for two. Not knowing who to pick, I asked the cashier to choose for me. He picked Dragonman because he was bigger. So I got him. I am glad I did.

That was the better choice, we eventually got a Kang but never a Dragon Man.

I remember when these came out and I wanted them all really bad but didn't find them. They were rare when they originally hit, sort of like Dragon Man and that FF animated wave...........did that even come out?

Yes, the second wave of the Toybiz FF series came out with Dragon Man and it is an awesome figure. If they were to ever revisit that mold as a BAF, it would have to be an 8 figure wave.

Do you know if they made that animated FF wave that featured the Hulk too? Back then I didn't frequent sites like this and only collected toys from the 80's, outside of Toyfare which I got every once in a while I never fond out what happened.........hell did the cartoon even air?

Do you know if they made that animated FF wave that featured the Hulk too? Back then I didn't frequent sites like this and only collected toys from the 80's, outside of Toyfare which I got every once in a while I never fond out what happened.........hell did the cartoon even air?

It did air, and you can find the whole series on DVD. If I remember correctly, the animated figures would have been either wave 3 of the FF Classics or they were going to be an independent line, but no they were not released. This may have been when Toybiz was in the process of selling to Marvel, while the Marvel license was going to Hasbro.

The show was quite interesting. It is one of the only cartoons I can think of that had an Asian actor as the lead role in an american cartoon - the principal from Smallville voice Mr. Fantastic. I would imagined some people would throw a fit if they find out an A-list like Spiderman or Superman is voiced by a minority.

That was the better choice, we eventually got a Kang but never a Dragon Man.

Thanks. Even Kang (the original TB version loose with no weapons) would go for around 20 on Ebay every now and then. The funny thing about wave 2 was that before it was announced that the wave was "cancelled" (no retail stores other than comicshops and later, Rite Aid would carry the figures,) the wave 2 Sue Storm was the most sought off figure. I think she was one per box.

I think I opened my Dragon Man while on the bus home since I couldn't wait to check him out. Looking at the figure now, I realized that he is one of the few TB figures that has good paint apps - most TB figures suffers from paint globs.

It's sad that dragon man is going well over $300 on ebay...JESUS! @grumpy@

I wouldn't spend that much on a recent figure when there are vintage figures(70's and 80's for me) that I could get for cheaper.

I just read some of my old e'mails from 07, and JJ had offered me one for trade, but I didn't collect that F4 line at that time, or even now. I dont' regret not trading for it. :)

• 1 month later...

Those prices are crazy. I'm sure I saw this figure at some point. That's when I still hunted, too. I'd hit up stores a few times a week. I didn't collect those lines but I remember checking the figures out.