The Masterpiece Thread

Agent Adam

Again, that still doesn't make it right. That happened in the Transformers comic book from Dreamwave, not exactly the best place to get official Transformers canon. Pat Lee's excuse was the G1 toy, but Ultra Magnus was never just a white Optimus Prime in the cartoon.

Are you trying to suggest that the G1 cartoon, with all of the character inconsistencies, is a higher source of official Transformers canon?

Sorry buddy but that would be a fail.

The Dreamwave comics , althou a different continuity from the G1 toon,are indeed "official Transformers canon", anything approved from Hasbro is.The G1 cartoon may predate Dreamwave, but its not the ORIGINAL source of TF canon, nor does it superseded Dreamwave,IDW or any other continuities that have aired or been published.The G1 cartoon got a hell of a lot wrong/or deviated from the intended course set by the first and original source of canon for TF fiction............the Tech specs.

To add what stovokor2000 said, which I wholeheartly agree on, a lot of the Transformers were added into the cartoon simply because they are toy versions of them. What makes white Optimus Prime any different than Bluestreak or for that matter, toys that were never interduced in the cartoon like the deluxe insecticons or Roadbuster? We don't simply ignore the insecticons and Roadbuster because they have never appeared in the g1 cartoon. Furthermore, some of the TF lore that originated in the Marvel run supersedes the lore introduced in the cartoon. For instance, Sentinel Prime being the Prime before Optimus. Unless Hasbro publicly makes it official that the DW series isn't canon (like they did with DD's Gi Joe series,) the DW TF series is as canon as any cartoon or comic literation of TF.

I would love to see a MP Cyclonus.

Me too, for sure. And Scourge. Though I suppose Galvatron would have to logically come first. The season 3 Cons had great character designs.

Interesting thought on the Sideswipe mold being used for Breakdown. I don't think the non-combining thing would hold TakaraTomy back. Like Doom Saber says, it hasn't stopped them before. They were willing to release a white Optimus Prime and call it Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. Whatever they can get away with. :P

Well, G1 Ultra Magnus was a WHITE Optimus with out the trailer armor.

That was a good excuse for cheapness. That doesn't make it right.

The thing is that Takara will find ways to try and milk the masterpiece molds as much as possible. As we saw with MP Prime, the toy was milked to death; There is the original version (which saw a lot of reissues,) the lucky draw gold version, the trailer version, the "black convoy" version, the Magnus version, the final battle version (not to be confused with the black Convoy version), and the final released version - similar to Hasbro's DVD version, but with a mold stamp that says :final version"). There is probably a crystal vesion somewhere in there. That is not counting the two versions that Hasbro released. If Optimus appeared in the cartoons in crazy neon colors, I am sure they would release a version in such colors. Can't really blame them since the Masterpiece line is a high-end series where each original mold takes years for completion - if I am not mistaken, it takes approx 2-3 years for Takara to finish the figure. With the exception of MP1 Prime, I don't think Hasbro is involved in making the MP figures. I know that Megatron was soley Takara. MP Starscream on the otherhand, was created with supervision from the guy who created Macross.

Again, that still doesn't make it right. That happened in the Transformers comic book from Dreamwave, not exactly the best place to get official Transformers canon. Pat Lee's excuse was the G1 toy, but Ultra Magnus was never just a white Optimus Prime in the cartoon.

Are you trying to suggest that the G1 cartoon, with all of the character inconsistencies, is a higher source of official Transformers canon?

The Dreamwave comics , althou a different continuity from the G1 toon,are indeed "official Transformers canon", anything approved from Hasbro is.The G1 cartoon may predate Dreamwave, but its not the ORIGINAL source of TF canon, nor does it superseded Dreamwave,IDW or any other continuities that have aired or been published.The G1 cartoon got a hell of a lot wrong/or deviated from the intended course set by the first and original source of canon for TF fiction............the Tech specs.

To add what stovokor2000 said, which I wholeheartly agree on, a lot of the Transformers were added into the cartoon simply because they are toy versions of them. What makes white Optimus Prime any different than Bluestreak or for that matter, toys that were never interduced in the cartoon like the deluxe insecticons or Roadbuster? We don't simply ignore the insecticons and Roadbuster because they have never appeared in the g1 cartoon. Furthermore, some of the TF lore that originated in the Marvel run supersedes the lore introduced in the cartoon. For instance, Sentinel Prime being the Prime before Optimus. Unless Hasbro publicly makes it official that the DW series isn't canon (like they did with DD's Gi Joe series,) the DW TF series is as canon as any cartoon or comic literation of TF.

Whatever you say man. The G1 toy of Ultra Mangus was a repaint of a Diaclone's Powered Convoy, which reused the cab of Convoy. Big deal. Ultra Magnus is one being with his trailer and cab, not the cab alone. I don't care if Pat Lee thought it was okay to make a white Optimus Prime burst out of his Ultra Magnus armor. Thanks to that we've been stuck with several white repaints of Optimus Prime as Ultra Magnus from several Transformers toy lines, and all because of one shitty comic book. It's taking years to undo that damage.

Whatever you say man. The G1 toy of Ultra Mangus was a repaint of a Diaclone's Powered Convoy, which reused the cab of Convoy. Big deal. Ultra Magnus is one being with his trailer and cab, not the cab alone. I don't care if Pat Lee thought it was okay to make a white Optimus Prime burst out of his Ultra Magnus armor. Thanks to that we've been stuck with several white repaints of Optimus Prime as Ultra Magnus from several Transformers toy lines, and all because of one shitty comic book. It's taking years to undo that damage.

"Ultra Magnus is one being with his trailer and cab, not the cab alone".............oh excuse me, when did you become the head of the Transformers brand for Hasbro?

Ultra Magnus is what Hasbro says he is.And Hasbro allowed Dreamwave to officially show that the trailer is armor.

Not to mention that the original G1 box shows Ultra Magnus in his cap form standing next to his trailer.Sorry gto tell you, but that shows that he is one being as his cab.

KGrHqNnUE8VKGUpEuBPKZFef72Q60_3.jpg

• Like 1

No offense, but I think you are taking this way too personally. It is just a toy, man. Not sure where you were getting at when you mentioned that Ultra Magnus is a repaint of dialone power convoy, but Takara and Hasbro (they released a classics version of Magnus sans armor) are a business, so naturally, they are going to make variants or repaints of figures that were never in the cartoon series. This is the same company that made various Pepsi Prime figures. With that said, I seriously doubt that Takara and Hasbro made a white Prime figure because of Pat Lee's comic run. While the mp version may have colors resembling the DW comic, I think there are a lot of white Prime figures out there because it is an easy repaint to do; it also pays homage to the original g1 toy, much like how Hasbro tends to use the Jetfire name and color scheme as oppose to Skyfire when making a new Skyfire/Jetfire toy. Both the MP and Classic series are lines that cater to the collectors. However, because both lines appeal to a nitch market, there are some budget constraints. As such, it wouldn't be cost effective to release a MP Ultra Magnus (repaint of mp1 Prime) with armor since it would cost a lot and would take up a lot of space. The same goes for the Classics figure. Because of that, Takara and Hasbro opted to release the figure sans the armor ot not only make money, but also as a compromise for Ultra Magnus fans. If not for a white repaint of Prime, we wouldn't get an Ultra Magnus repaint at all. Instead, we might be get something else like Blue or yellow prime from the Diaclone line. I am sorry that you don't like Magnus, but it hasn't really done any damage to the TF market. Seriously, what damage?

"Ultra Magnus is one being with his trailer and cab, not the cab alone".............oh excuse me, when did you become the head of the Transformers brand for Hasbro?

Ultra Magnus is what Hasbro says he is.And Hasbro allowed Dreamwave to officially show that the trailer is armor.

Not to mention that the original G1 box shows Ultra Magnus in his cap form standing next to his trailer.Sorry gto tell you, but that shows that he is one being as his cab.

There is also this figure:

Tfjr_magnus_galvatron.jpg

For some odd reason, I always thought that Ultra Magnus was his name in armor mode and Magnus is his name in cab mode. I can't find a reference to it, but I thought that is something I have read online.

For some odd reason, I always thought that Ultra Magnus was his name in armor mode and Magnus is his name in cab mode. I can't find a reference to it, but I thought that is something I have read online.

I believe thats how they remered to the tqo parts on the instructions that came with the toy.

Some of us like originality, and others like repaints, new names, etc. I like mainly originality, stick to G1 and if new transformers come out, make sure it's new model's and not copies of G1. I still wish the new transformers where made out of metal...like G1, but I know it would be expensive and since plastic went up in price, metal would too. Still, I always learn something new here. :)

Well obviously, as they want to show the playability, but that still doesn't make it right to railroad the character in modern times.

Well obviously, as they want to show the playability, but that still doesn't make it right to railroad the character in modern times.

Actually seeing that g1 transformers was a toyline FIRST, it does indeed make it as right as making Starscream,Thundercracker and Skywarp all look alike..

Actually seeing that g1 transformers was a toyline FIRST, it does indeed make it as right as making Starscream,Thundercracker and Skywarp all look alike..

Don't forget Ramjet, Dirge and Thrust.... same body style, different colors.

In addition to the Transformers Jr Line, the white robot Magnus also debut in the 1986 Back Box art. So to sum it up, the white Magnus robot appears:

1. The toy.

2. Toy Ads - Magnus guarding Silverbolt who rest on top of his trailer.

3. Japanese Toy Commercial Ads.

4. Transformers Jr line - Magnus robot with cardboard trailer. This is where MP2 got its idea from.

5. 1986 Back Box - Japanese box.

All of these, predate Dreamwave comic.

For us UMagnus fans when refering to G1:

The cab robot is known as Magnus and with armor on, it's Ultra Magnus, ehhee.

depends on the price ...

I would probably find a way to pay for it no matter the price... I mean, we can be reasonably sure it's going to be somewhere around $100-145, max.

For me, scale is more of an issue... I've got a decent collection going using iGear's Faith Leader, official/iGear Seekers, MP Grimlock, and a bunch of classics Autobots. To me, they go together quite well.

I'm not sure I want a HUGE MP Sideswipe. I might bite because I love '80s Lamborghinis, though. We'll see.

I just appreciate DW's efforts to explain things like white truck Magnus, and the toy heads of Bumblebee and Jetfire.

• 1 month later...

I've always been of the mindset that the "Optimus-Prime-painted-white" Magnus figure was indeed a bonafide robot mode, and it was nice to see that "confirmed" in the Dreamwave comics. I always thought it was a nice acknowledgement of the original toy and cool to see since it was never hinted at in the catoons or original comics.

As for Sideswipe being the next Masterpiece...bring it on. I'm still riding high on the nostalgia of the Commemorative Series one I just got, so to know he's gonna be a Masterpiece figure is very exciting...as long as the price isn't too extravagant.

I've always been of the mindset that the "Optimus-Prime-painted-white" Magnus figure was indeed a bonafide robot mode, and it was nice to see that "confirmed" in the Dreamwave comics. I always thought it was a nice acknowledgement of the original toy and cool to see since it was never hinted at in the catoons or original comics.

As for Sideswipe being the next Masterpiece...bring it on. I'm still riding high on the nostalgia of the Commemorative Series one I just got, so to know he's gonna be a Masterpiece figure is very exciting...as long as the price isn't too extravagant.

I would wait for the Hasbro version...

My only complaint about "White Prime" Magnus is that is so damn bland. They should done something to add some colors. Make the legs and fist Black [or Blue like they do nowadays] I hope we do get a proper G-1 Ultra Magnus at some stage. Or G-1ify the Animated Ultra Magnus [i liked that Missle Carrier form] and release that as a Masterpiece Ultra Magnus.

As for Masterpiece Sideswipe. Bring him on. and all his repaints.

I remember the first time I heard about Magnus.My brother picked me up at work and siad he was at the toy store in our town called Kiddytown and he seen a white Optimus Prime.I said take me over there and when I seen him without hestitation I snagged him.Then a few months later found out he was in the movie

Yeah, I had a similar experience Wheeljack...my little brother and I found Ultra Magnus inexplicably one afternoon at our favorite toystore haunt, and we had no idea who or what the character was, but we were immediately intrigued and just had to have him. Now, twenty-six years later I have my own mint Ultra Magnus, and I don't have to share him anymore. (lol)

From what I saw on Transformers World 2005 that Australia is getting it in Oct. so we may get it then to or earlyer and what they think the price is going to be about $100. I hope Hasbro will do Masterpiease Sideswipe when Taraka brings him out.