DC Universe All-Stars Dead On Arrival?!?

The Wire

I'm not "piling on" Mattel when I say that DCUC had worse quality control than either Hasbro or Toybiz ML ever did. And it's not trolling to say so in a DC forum. That's not even what trolling is. That was my experience with collecting DCUC, and after reading several message boards I can tell that it was a pretty universal experience. I've never bought a product in my life as consistently defective as DCUC figures. They're great in a lot of ways, but they were often awful in that regard.

Maybe the collectors about a decade older than me had a similar experience with mego. There are a lot of still MOC WGSH Hulks with broken knee pins.

No one is saying Mattel doesn't have QC issues, however, people look over QC issues of other lines. I have a theory that people only post on the boards when they are unhappy. I rarely see people post when they dont have problems. And let me re iderate (sp), I have almost every DCUC Figure, the vast majority came out of the box in excellent condition. Mattel does have QC issues and they are common, they are just not as frequent as people make them out to be, like its a plague and all DCUC figures are damned to hell or the trash can. So in your future critiques of DCUC just dont look over other companies QC issues. And atleast Mattel seems to be trying to take care of them.

True. I think ppl focus on the QC of a current toyline. A good example is the HML line. A lot of ppl have said that TBML figures are leaps and bounds over the HML figures. However, people forget how often the joints are struck and how the plastic for most of the figures are rubberly. HML, on the other hand, are made with better plastic, but with less paint apps. Their figures tend to be underscaled.

Also there is rampant complaints about the reuse of bucks in the DC line however Hasblow's use of bucks is not all that better. The standard male buck is extrememly thin and weak looking compared to the more stylized figures. Hasblow does underscale their figures, The FF wave Dr. Doom is twice the size of every IM figure from Hasblow. The problem is that Doom is scaled right and IM hs never been scaled correctly, with Hasblow they are really big or really small, at the very least the standard bucks from DC prevent as many scale issues as ML have.

HasBLOW. That's clever.

In any case, say what you will, HasBROW just put Marvel Legends back in stores. Mattel is doin' there d---dest to take DC out.

Glad you care so much for Hasblow, can't believe it is so important to you.

They did put ML back in the stores, just as they took them out and replaced them with the nonsense that is MU. Hasblow did their d---dest to take Transformers Classics/Generations out. Hasblow also did their d---dest to take GI Joe 25th out too! Hasblow is no better but slaves to Hasblow don't see it that way.

On the heels of ML Toybiz went out of business, then Hasblow did them in and now they are back. We are only two waves in, trust that no line lasts forever!!! People complained that they couldn't find DC figs in the stores, well I haven't been able to find a complete wave of ML in the stores either.

• Like 1

Hasblow is no better but slaves to Hasblow don't see it that way.

You've been a regular contributor to the new ML thread since "Hasblow" released wave one, discussing your ML finds and asking for Terrax arms in every post you make. Does this make you one of those "Hasblow" slaves you speak of? @smilepunch@

• Like 2

Hasblow is no better but slaves to Hasblow don't see it that way.

You've been a regular contributor to the new ML thread since "Hasblow" released wave one, discussing your ML finds and asking for Terrax arms in every post you make. Does this make you one of those "Hasblow" slaves you speak of? @smilepunch@

Ughh, do you have the same conversation for Draven, who constantly bashes Mattel over DC and MOTUC classic but buys EVERYTHING they offer, how about he has subs for all of those but even on this thread he continuously trashes Mattel........of course you don't, if you are going to question the idea of contradiction then do it for all here on TNI, why just focus on me.

Now back to Hasblow, yes I do buy SOME of Hasblow's products and I make it clear where they are good because I tell the truth, without bias. Hasblow uses better plastics but that doesn't make them a better company. I trash Mattel when they do bad just like I do Hasblow, it makes no difference. I am far from a Hasblow slave, I like what I like and what I don't I don't, same for all companies. I am very vocal on the shortcomings of Mattel, but of course you don't see that.....typical of people on these boards, you guys see what you want and ignore the rest to make some invalid point.

• Like 1

Hasblow, is far from a superioe company.............

Their design flaw in hooked joints is a real problem, one that people like to ignore. This problem goes across THREE different lines......Joes, Transformers, and Marvel Universe..........but of course we never hear or talk about it here because of the bias that goes on in these forums. I really wish some people of character would stand up and at least just be honest about these companies.

Hasblow uses pin heads for their Joes and Marvel Universe figures, and they also used those thick ball joints at the hip which created that ugly bulge on the sides. Takara still makes better TF's than Hasblow who more often than not can't even get the color scheme right. Talk about not finding figs in the stores, yeah I guess people here only collect DC figs because Hasblow doesn't always get products out to the stores.

Let;'s talk about scale, oh yeah see DCU uses the same bucks but at least it keeps the line consistant, while over at Hasblow they uses various bucks that create serieous scale issues, not all those NEW bucks are worth a damn, my Dr Doom is twice the size of all Hasblow's tiny Iron Man figs. Anyone care to revisit their trunks version of Namor???.........is he a supposed to be 12 years old or an adult.......people have complained about the size of the Wrecking Crew, I personally don't mind but others think they are wayyyy too large. Oh and the grip hands for the females is awful, also the mid torso swivel is fugly on all accounts. Sure they have many new bucks but not all of them are what they are supposed to be which creates the greatest failure, they spend the time and money on new bucks only to mess up the scale........what was the point????

AFI even talked about how the first two waves of ML's return and how they are a hit or miss

btw, I got my Terrax arms and he is bad-ass.

• Like 1

I don't care what the majority says but I look back on all the waves of DCUC and I am happy, there is complete synergy with the line and despite the problems it is a better line than any IMO. Marvel Legends has the most random articulation from wave 1 till now, scale is out of control and they just learned how to make a half decent female figure. None of these companies are perfect but they way people trash Mattel like they don't have anything to offer is crazy to me. They also provided the most deverse history of characters ever, unlike the GLUT of Wolverine, Spiderman, Hulk, and Iron Man figures that Marvel fans have to suffer through. Sure the main characters get done over but no one kills it the way Hasblow and TB have done it.

HAHA you sure don't pay attention to what I say. I never bash MOTU. I LOVE the figures they put out! I give Mattel for doing something right for once with that line. Its DR and Mattels lack of wanting to fix it that I bash. They only time I have said anything bad about them is when DR screwed me 3 times and had to spend hours on the phone!! As far as DCUC nope I gave up on those and still bash them freely because the line is a mess and they proved it yet again today.

Draven

Sure, if Mattel's DC figs are so bad why go through the hassle of buying every wave and getting a sub. The point is that regardless you still buy the figures. Mattel has been sloppy with the DCUC and that there is no excuse but you buy enough of them to have a moot point. Funny how people are just like I am but they see themselves differently. We both buy toys from companies that in our opinions are a hit or miss.

• Like 1

Sure, if Mattel's DC figs are so bad why go through the hassle of buying every wave and getting a sub. The point is that regardless you still buy the figures. Mattel has been sloppy with the DCUC and that there is no excuse but you buy enough of them to have a moot point. Funny how people are just like I am but they see themselves differently. We both buy toys from companies that in our opinions are a hit or miss.

I completely agree with you there. I think we buy them because we are addicted to them

• Like 1

I completely agree with you there. I think we buy them because we are addicted to them

We sure do, that is what makes collecting so bitter at times.

• Like 1

We sure do, that is what makes collecting so bitter at times.

If it's something they want, collectors will buy from anyone and pay nearly any price. Regardless of the company's business practices.

I Used to bash Mattel at every chance I got. With very little effort you'll probably find threads where I boldly claim to never give mattel money again. Then I willingly bought their Martian Manhunter because I thought he was cool. Oops. Stupid, yojoebro82 @pow@

I'm not going to fall into the sub trap, and I still hear reps say things that make me question if actual professionals are in charge, but I've given them my money (recently) so I feel I need to lay off. I may still call BS if I see it, though.

Now does anyone have a Bane left leg??? :)

I cant believe that this discussion is still going. Mattel has recently released statements to make it a mute point. YJ is cancelled and there will be a new retail line in 2013. There. If you're going to collect Mattel then collect Mattel, if not then don't.

I cant believe that this discussion is still going. Mattel has recently released statements to make it a mute point. YJ is cancelled and there will be a new retail line in 2013. There. If you're going to collect Mattel then collect Mattel, if not then don't.

and yet we always hear the same retort to fuel the fires.

Your record is skipping as much as the other guy's.

Just-Dont-Look.jpg

just dont look...just dont look...

Esign is right, just like how Ghostbusters was supposed to be canceled yet they had a new figure on sale yesterday. Mattel has two 6 inch lines planned for the mainstream DC Universe and possible off-shoots like Batman Legacy, Green Lantern, and even Superman, so there is a lot in the works. I actually like the idea that we have a monthly set of figures and only 1 retail to look forward to in 2012, it gives us a serious break. Maybe Mattel will truly vamp up quality and offer something great at retail in 2013, maybe the return of ML has sparked some deep level of competition in them, who knows?

• Like 1

Mattel never oficially canceled Ghostbusters. Just the sub and that has held true. But where are those gifts they promised people? @loll@ Im not knocking anyone that wants to be positive! Its just mattel and I have no faith that they will come back in 2013 with anything worthwhile. This was all to get them to Matty.com imo.

Draven

"those gifts they promised people".........is there a timeframe for promised gifts?

I don't think Mattel is just looking to get figures on Mattycollector because I think they probably sell more at retail than on the site. Also it gives them a huge boost with a presense at retail for boys action toys.

Again it is funny how people have no faith in Mattel, last night I pulled out some transformers and came across Sunstreaker and those pathetic joints and the arm fell right off. The nice thing is that I can easily attach but once the joint is warped from not being tight the risk is always there that it will fall off, and it does all the time, btw the plastic for that figure was horrible too, clips broken.

I agree Mako. Anyone who does not think this is a ploy to get the 6 inch figs exclusive to Matty are just being delusional. This is Mattel, they pull stunts like that all the time. And complain about costs etc etc. You never hear Hasbro or other companies doing that. Making excusives. Mattel is a sad sad company when it comes to quality and customer relations.

Draven

How foolish does it sound that DC would not want a presence at retail and would allow Matty to put everything on their site? Speculation fueled by Marvelits.

As for the gift, if its cool it may be worth it. I am working on something right now that I have been investigating for 10 years and I finally got in contact with the owner/recorder of this particular concert and he may have 2 others that are even more rare. It has been 10 annoying years but I may be able to come away with more that I didn't even know existed. People need to relax, they are still making toys and they responded to the rumors.

You are still missing the point! DC does not clearly want the same thing at retail we do! They want movie lines and kiddy lines. They clearly do not want a collector aimed line at retail. Hence the sub, hence the ALL Stars not going well so far. I think they will be back but not as we know them now. I think they will be smaller 5 inch kiddy friendly scale or even 3 3/4 at retail next year. WIth lots of gimmicks and little articulation. That's the mattel way anyway. They continue to repeat history.

Draven