revsears

the Catch 22's of being a joe fan

While trying to stay a more positive collector I can't help but not that sometimes as Joe fans we get stick in really weird catch 22s, and retaliation has a couple of them.

If retaliation does well, because of increased action, better story etc. Well the suits give credit to the Ninjas I think way overused?

If placing roadblock as the leader does well does that mean we will loose Duke as the leader? Despite really having a problem with Tatum and the writing, not Duke as a character?

There are old ones too.

Female figures don't sell, but sometimes it's because the headsculpts are ugly. If I don't buy ugly joe and cobra women do I get the blame?

They try to shove an uncool stormshadow in every wave, then we complain they release a really good one, and under pack it.

Sometimes it feels like we get screwed either way. I am sure you guys can think of more.

I don't think it's just a collector problem, it's Hasbro's as well. Imagine if Hasbro decided to start fresh with G.I. Joe. It could be back to the pre-1982 style of G.I. Joe. It could be G.I. Joe just as a simple military-based action figure line, as it was when it started back in 1962. Maybe the ARAH that we know but completely new characters? In any case, a version of G.I. Joe that doesn't involved Duke, Snake Eyes, Scarlett, etc. It might actually be good for the toy line and give children a G.I. Joe that is truly their very own. Hasbro might loses many adult collectors, but more importantly, Hasbro might lose the rights to the known ARAH characters if they don't maintain those copyrights. I guess it would depend on the success of the new version of G.I. Joe. If it lasted for many years then the ARAH would certainly fall by the wayside, but G.I. Joe would still be around.

Trust me. I understand.This whole trying to find a Storm Shadow deal has hit a new low for me. i'm just getting back from walmart where 24 hours ago they only had Cobra Commander. Now they have the new wave minus Storm Shadow. Just that quick. I've been check that walmart since the beginning of december last year and nothing but peg warmers. So believe me i was pissed. This walmart was a part of many stores that i check and this walmart was the only to get the new wave since i started searching. the other figures are cool but c'mon.

Kinda stupid question here ( I've not read or heard anywhere else), are the Retaliation figures gonna kill the 30th and Renegades figures? I go to 3 Wally Supercenters weekly, if not more, and one dropped Joes after reset and the other two have been empty pegs since reset. I was fortunate enough to get everyone I wanted, sans SS, and wish those two lines would stick around awhile. And I absolutley refuse to pay $50 for Storm Shadow, hell I'm still fighting myself over regular Zarana. Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. Good luck guys.

I wouldn't say that the Retaliation line is killing the 30th/Renegades line. Hasbro build a window between when the last of the 30th and movie line much like they did last time. We also got everything minus the Kwinn figure that was shown (minus of course the Data Viper and he was announced as cancelled some time ago). As for people not finding SS, I feel for you. I ordered online and got him, but I saw him in store only once. However fans should have been prepared for the possibility of not getting him as the history with this line shows us that the final wave of something and sometimes the wave before the last one (especially when you have waves coming at you quick) see a small release. It happened with JvC back in the day, with the final waves of ROC and the last two waves of POC. I won't be surprised if these turn up at discount retailers in the future and it seems like Hasbro is really trying to get their money out of that mold.

While trying to stay a more positive collector I can't help but not that sometimes as Joe fans we get stick in really weird catch 22s, and retaliation has a couple of them.

If retaliation does well, because of increased action, better story etc. Well the suits give credit to the Ninjas I think way overused?

If placing roadblock as the leader does well does that mean we will loose Duke as the leader? Despite really having a problem with Tatum and the writing, not Duke as a character?

There are old ones too.

Female figures don't sell, but sometimes it's because the headsculpts are ugly. If I don't buy ugly joe and cobra women do I get the blame?

They try to shove an uncool stormshadow in every wave, then we complain they release a really good one, and under pack it.

Sometimes it feels like we get screwed either way. I am sure you guys can think of more.

man i so hear ya on this we can never win. also the movie toys are a huge let down for me agin i was hoping they would use cool parts but they went cheap on us well to me anyway.

There are old ones too.

Re: female figures, I've personally never seen them sell any better or worse than male figures. Yeah, sometimes there's an ugly head sculpt but it's a 3 and 3/4" action figure. I'll live.

Re: Renegades SS, probably one of the most ironic situations in recent memory. People complain that we get too many of him, now we all want him and can't find him and we complain (don't worry, I've complained too). He's short packed, it happens. (I'm heading out this morning to look for him...angain!)

Re: Retaliation plot points, too early to get worried about anything there. Whether it's Duke's fate, Roadblock's ninja/leadership status, or whether or not Bruce Willis will play a different character than EVERY ONE of his previous action movies (probably not), it's all way too early. Just gotta watch it and find out.

Personally, I think GI Joe is fine. Aside from those crap upcoming vehicle drivers (which is apparantly the norm for all Hasbro vehicle drivers now :( )

ahhh the Storm Shadow under pack, or Shunderpack day 35, a continuing crisis assaulting and insulting the shopping fronts of every town America, affecting all collectors young and old, beggars and kings. I am a collecting madman. I get up too early on weekends to hunt, I'm the guy standing there at 3am walmarts restocks with the sad puppy dog face & holy manpajamas and overstuffed wallet (only dollar bills mind ya) for Joes and Hotwheels. The guy that hounds his loved ones "to keep and eye out" for mah ninja dude. & then at 6 am I'm at the grocery stores, a roaming halfdead manchild wandering the aisle's frantically searching for more zombie vipers. Rifling through the overfilled "put back" carts at the front of the store hoping desperately that Stormy will show. When my GF went outta state to visit her Granma I made damn sure to tell her to keep an eye out for anything anywhere, even if it is a gas station on the interstate. At 8 am I'm at the Tergets a lone one man black friday frenzied sprint to the back of the store only to find Arctic Destro there still keeping vigil over the empty pegs and dust (right next to the Overpacked Star Wars Pegs filled w/every minor non-important (background guys?) character in the SW universe) I peruse the Craigslist toy section looking for a cheap score from scalpers who know what mah fix is.....its white plastic gold I'm looking for but to no avail.......ebay and amazon mock me as I sit in the insomniatic glow of midnight computer screens wondering if a toy is worth 50 or more dollars? (heck yeah it is, well maybe not).....today I'm just a man cause its friday butttt tomorrow who knows? Maybe I'll be the guy standing at Toysrntus at 10 am stepping over and stepping on the lil childrens as they slide open the doors in the early morning trying to hide their disgust at my daily constitutionals(they call it harassment I call it vigilance) .......Wherever there's a empty joe peg- I'll be there, I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be everywhere. Wherever you look, wherever there's a fight, so hungry collectors can collect, I'll be there. Wherever there's a store security guard beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad at not finding Storm Shadow. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they've found Stormy and they know they're ready to play, and when the people are findin the Joes they're looking for, I'll be there, too.......I feels your pain fellow collectors and madmen.......@bH@

(lol) With those last few lines...why do I keep envisioning you in some crazy homemade superhero costume pacing back and forth in front of some obscure store at four in the morning GD? (lol) Too funny man...

There are old ones too.

Right there with ya Rev!

You don't see me around anymore just for reasons like this. When my favorite hobby is no longer an enjoyment for me and becomes more of a competition with others, than something fun and exciting, then it's just another pain in the ass I don't need. Driving around trying to find this sh@# is making the oil tycoon rich and resorting to online measures to obtain it is only padding the wallets of scalpers and other annoying types I just generally don't like. I can honestly say after 30 years of collecting G.I.Joe action figures, that my hobby was most pleasurable in the 80's and early 90's when I htought I might be the only 20-something immature SOB doing it?? @loll@

• Like 1