Before MOTU...

Wheeljack35

There was Flash Gordon

Back in 1979 NBC put up Flash Gordon in their Saturday morning line up.It was done by the same people who a few years later would do MOTU.Some here know about the movie but the toon was much better and actually entertaining.Well the did make a toyline and yes it was Mattel that made this line

For those who were too young I found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGDOmOj-5Ow&feature=related

Also the curious part when I was looking over the old figure because my brother had them as kids I was too good for them I only wanted Star Wars at the time :P

Prince Thun...Ironic that a cat had a name of Thun...(I think Thundercat when I see it) Or another way of seeing it? Chief Carnivus

Mattelthun.jpg

Beastman...??? Yes there is a Beastman before Skeletors lacky

Mattelbeastman.jpg

You can check out the rest of the figures here

http://flashgordon.wikia.com/wiki/Mattel_action_figures

The only reason that movie was made was because at the time Star Wars came out then you seen all the pretenders and the old stuff making comebacks like this and Buck Rogers.

Hell you can tell there was no effort and they didn't take this seriously.I'm hoping for one day for a remake and a serious one at that

LOL Yeah. I've seen that movie and you're right. cheap and silly doesn't even begin to describe it.

It's ironic really. Because the only reason George Lucas made Star Wars was because King Feature refused to give him the rights to make a Flash Gordon movie ;p

BTW I like the picture in your signature XD

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I missed the show and these figures by just a couple of years. It's such a shame that they're so hard to find now, especially considering the obvious evolution from these into MOTU. It'd be awesome to have them all side-by-side on a shelf.

Hello - For years, I've always believed that Mattel greenlighted Masters of the Universe to produce a secure money-maker. They were inspired by:

1. Licensing both Flash Gordon and Clash of the Titans

2. The popularity of sword and sorcery - Conan was in production; and Dungeons and Dragons was popular as well.

3. The FCC loosened up its restrictions on toymakers having cartoons.

4.And of course...Star Wars...