DC Direct Shutting Down Their Boards

cajunthief

Wonder if we'll see a wave of DC fans swing over here, since DC is shutting down all their boards. I get the feeling the New 52 is beginning to lose steam, and they feel all the negative comments on the boards are hurting the chances of success (nothing to do with destroying classic characters and losing long-time fans while not picking up new ones).

The more the merrier.

DC Direct has made some pretty good lines, but issues with scale, completing lines, and delays have haunted them. The Green Lantern line is going still going strong, thanks to Blackest Night and stories afterwards. I'm on the fence with the Jim Lee JL line. Aquaman & GL are two I'm getting, but I'm having a hard time warming up to the others.

I told my friend that the new reboot was doomed to be short lived yet he is still holding out that DC will be able to turn things around. I gave the reboot a very fair shake, but the new take on the main chacters was just to....off IMO.

Now as for the figs & scale.....well DCD has been cranking out its action figs at their current "scale"/size for over 10years. So calling it a problem might not be quite the right wording. Its like saying VWs are great but they still have that small car issue. Small is what VW is all about....its what they've always been about. Same is true with DCD. They have always made their figs slightly larger than 6". Now I'll understand if that size range is a problem for YOU personaly, but I doubt that's gonna change DCD way of makeing figs. Now maybe that's an error on their part or not.

DCD HAS in the past made figs closer to 6" yet fans still didn't give the suport the line needed to stay afloat. JLA feat. Vixin, Red Arrow, Hawkgirl, Black Lighting ect ect all 6" but the line only lasted 3waves. What about Batman Long Holloween? All 6" & that line only had a couple of waves.

A person is always entitled to their opinion, but I don't think simply sculpting all figs with excessive POA or 6" is not gonna ensure a lines success. I like DCD & fully enjoy the artist take on each new line. After all if your gonna collect a bunch of Bats & Supes then why not have them inspired in different ways.

Damn that sucks.... I have tons of DC Direct figures, I had actually hesitated to switch over to DCUC (when I still bought from matty), because I didn't think that DCUC would have lasted as long as it did. But like it is mentioned above, due to scale differences among DCD figures, and characters and waves not being completed I had stopped collecting DCD. But I have DCD figures that I have used to fill in characters missing in my DCUC collection. As many of us had said (prior to the reboot), that the whole DC reboot would have greatly hurt DC Comics...and unfortunately we are all now starting to see that come true.

• Like 1

I'm a DC Direcet fan. My DCD collection is about 2/3 larger than anything I have from Mattel partly because I like the variety in sculpting, partly because I don't like giving money to a crooked toy company. (I bought the Matty Green Arrow last week and while it's a good figure, I felt like a whore.)

The earliest DCD figures were 6" and fit in well with any other 6" line. Good examples that come to mind are DCD Cyborg, the first Blue Beetle, Sandman, and Death (all awesome figures). As the line went on they did get taller. Recently they've gotten taller still. Brightest Day figures are a good example. The BD Green Arrow was a killer figure, but he towered over any DCD Batman or Superman that I own.

Some of my favorite DCD lines from the past had to be contemporary Teen Titans, with dead-on versions of Tim Drake, Superboy, Wonder Girl, and Kid Flash; the JLA line wich gave us one of the few Wally West Flashes and a Wonder Woman that is my favorite version ever; and the Superman/Reign of Supermen lines which gave us, what I feel to be the difinitive Superman figure!

• Like 1

I am a huge fan of DCD as well only using DCU to fill in the holes for my display shelves. However, I do own almost every DCU figure released due to the C&C pieces included.

I am really looking forward to almost everything that has been announced this year from DCD. There is no way they will stop making figures without a huge announcement first.

As far as DCU goes I'm not going to be buying much since they took away the C&C. As of now I am aiming for Rocket Red, Tin, Flashpoint Plasticman, The Flash, Young Justice Batman, Guardian x 2.

I've already bought Arkham Bats Cats 2 pack, Harley and Nightwing

For DCD I will be buying the following,

all the Arkham City figures even the hopped up Joker.

all the New 52 Figures

DCU Online: Catwoman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman

Heroes and Foes: Wonder Woman

Oh yeah, the only complaint i have about DCD is the fact that they break easily when they fall off my shelves.

The complaints i have about DCU are ,poor plastic- powdering happens a lot in the blacks and dark colors, same bucks used time and time again, poor sculpting with very few exceptions to this fact. I still say that almost every female DCU face looks like they are all inbred; they all have similar details like their noses were punched in and it smooshed the rest of the face in with it.

I brought this up in one of the threads once but was quickly dismissed by those who have been blinded by the 4 horsemen's sculpting hype.

At least DCD has much more diverse sculpting giving each character a distinctive likeness all it's own.

well i am more the dcuc collector because with most figures from dcd i had trouble to make them stand. dcd is a grreat company but people arent spending that much anymore. i still have some dcd figures mixed with my dcuc figures. like black mask, hush, poison ivy, i will get the joker thugs and some parademons for sure.

For DCD I will be buying the following,

all the Arkham City figures even the hopped up Joker.

all the New 52 Figures

DCU Online: Catwoman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman

Heroes and Foes: Wonder Woman

I would have gotten that Heroes and Foes WW had they decided to actually make the Straczynski version of WW and not paint an old WW to look like her. The uniform calls for a completely new sculpt.

I'm looking forward to the rest of Arkham City, particularly Catwoman. Beyond that, I don't know. Thinking I'm not going in on all the New 52 stuff. There may be a long DC drought for me.

I'm a DC Direcet fan. My DCD collection is about 2/3 larger than anything I have from Mattel partly because I like the variety in sculpting, partly because I don't like giving money to a crooked toy company. (I bought the Matty Green Arrow last week and while it's a good figure, I felt like a whore.)

The earliest DCD figures were 6" and fit in well with any other 6" line. Good examples that come to mind are DCD Cyborg, the first Blue Beetle, Sandman, and Death (all awesome figures). As the line went on they did get taller. Recently they've gotten taller still. Brightest Day figures are a good example. The BD Green Arrow was a killer figure, but he towered over any DCD Batman or Superman that I own.

Some of my favorite DCD lines from the past had to be contemporary Teen Titans, with dead-on versions of Tim Drake, Superboy, Wonder Girl, and Kid Flash; the JLA line wich gave us one of the few Wally West Flashes and a Wonder Woman that is my favorite version ever; and the Superman/Reign of Supermen lines which gave us, what I feel to be the difinitive Superman figure!

I'm right with you on the contemporary Teen Titans line (especially the awesomely detailed Kid Flash, those boots were imo killer) and Wally West. Although there have actually been a number of DC Direct Wally figures (eight by my count) but I see your point that this is easily the best of them.I am on my second Wally West though as the first one's arm kept popping out of its socket and then finally a leg broke while I was posing it.

And I thought that they cancelled Heroes and Foes? Is it back on? Even though it is a repaint, that is the best Flash sculpt we've had from DC Direct since the aforementioned Wally West.