Whitney Houston Dead At Age 48

Wheeljack35

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/02/11/whitney-houston-dead-at-age-48/

Singer Whitney Houston has died at the age of 48 according to the Associated Press and other reports.

Houston had one of the defining pop-soul voices of the 1980s and 1990s. She was also a stage of the screen, appearing in such movies as “The Bodyguard” and “Waiting to Exhale.” Her career was marred by erratic behavior and struggles with substance abuse.

Publicist Kristen Foster said today that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her passing were unknown, according to the AP.

Houston had been mostly out of the spotlight in recent months, but according to numerous reports she had been hoping to stage a comeback. A story in the Hollywood Reporter said that the singer was under consideration for a spot on Simon Cowell’s Fox talent show “The X-Factor.”

This is going to come off as way harsh but I don't care. I lost my wife last year and we lost her mom the year before. I am disgusted by these goofy celebrities who throw their lives away. They think it's a game and don't realize how precious life really is. People like my wife and her mom fought like Hell to stay alive after they got sick only to die anyway and these morons with too much time on their hands would rather kill themselves because they are too self absorbed or whatever. I will never feel sorry for them. And the media can kiss my ass for calling the deaths of these wastes of space a tragedy. A real tragedy is six kids without a mom.

• Like 4

This is going to come off as way harsh but I don't care. I lost my wife last year and we lost her mom the year before. I am disgusted by these goofy celebrities who throw their lives away. They think it's a game and don't realize how precious life really is. People like my wife and her mom fought like Hell to stay alive after they got sick only to die anyway and these morons with too much time on their hands would rather kill themselves because they are too self absorbed or whatever. I will never feel sorry for them. And the media can kiss my ass for calling the deaths of these wastes of space a tragedy. A real tragedy is six kids without a mom.

I totally get that, man. Sorry for your losses. I also dont get why everyone clamours on the death bandwagon for celebs that have been the public butts of jokes for decades. Who didnt enjoy a good Bobby/Whitney joke? now im supposed to forget the harsh kidding and cry along? Nope, not buying it. These once-talented folks trashed themselves out, and dont deserve our pity in this life or the next.

I still want to know who she was talking about in her song "I will always love Hugh". Was it Hefner or Grant.

I know Dolly Parton wrote and sang the song, originally, and people say when Whitney sang it she made it her own, but I swear it sounds like she's saying "Hugh" instead of "you".

I personally feel as if any death, whether by unwarranted illness or poor life choices, is tragic, no matter how you look at it. Whitney Houston was a mother, a wife, and she was someone's baby. I'll be honest guys, my heart would be broken if someone referred to my baby as a "waste of space" or said she didn't deserve pity, no matter what she had done. I'll admit I wasn't terribly suprised when I learned she had died, but it didn't seem any less sad because of her recent troubles.

I lost a cousin last year to drug abuse and the toll it can take on the body. She had struggled with it for years, even resorting to trying to steal my grandmother's prescription drugs, she had become so desperate at one point. But did we all vilify her and kick her while she was down? No...we continued to love and support her and try to get her the help she desperately needed. In the end her poor body just couldn't take the strain of years and years of abuse anymore, and ultimately she died because of poor choices. Was it any less tragic because she made the choice to destroy herself? Of course not. We can't de-value and dismiss someone's life just because they're a celebrity or they make poor life choices, especially when all we see is the caricature of them that our culture creates and the negative aspects of their condition. They're real people with family who loves them and grieves for them, just like the rest of us.

I do think your comments were a little harsh Jack, although I understand where they're coming from. I'd like to add that it indeed doesn't seem fair at all, to see people throw their lives away when people like your wife and mother-in-law had so much to live for and gave it all they had, only to pass away regardless. My heart truly goes out to you my friend. I will continuously keep you and your babies in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

I still want to know who she was talking about in her song "I will always love Hugh". Was it Hefner or Grant.

I know Dolly Parton wrote and sang the song, originally, and people say when Whitney sang it she made it her own, but I swear it sounds like she's saying "Hugh" instead of "you".

I hate how they say this is signature song.I have never felt that way it wasn't hers .They seem to forget about all the songs she did up to this one and how great they were.after this one she started her downfall with Bobby.To me her signature is "The Greatest Love of All"