Bandai S.H. MonsterArts

The Maestro

The leg joints are pretty standard as far as most Monsterarts figures go. The legs can be posed in both a standing neutral position, or legs spread further out for more dynamic poses. The upper thighs can rotate up or down for a decent range to allow for crouching or flying poses. The leg joints are also pretty tight, and hold together well for posing. I hope the joints hold over the long term given the large size and weight of the figure.

makg6-1.jpg

King Ghidorah's large wings have the ability to be moved up and down to mimic a flapping like motion. Each wing is connected to the body by a hinged joint.

DSC05244a.jpg

makg3-1.jpg

There have been early reports from some King Ghidorah owners that the hinges are poorly designed to hold the wings and break with minimal stress.

With my figure, I found the right wing was tight, but not overly tight that I wasn't able to pose the wing in it's designed positions. However, I have a bit more of an issue with the left wing. The part that covers the base of the wing doesn't sit flush in the socket on the body. This sometimes prevents the wing from staying in place when it's fully extended, and sags occasionally. I have to apply a bit more pressure on the part, so it stays in the socket, but I have to be mindful of the hinge issue when I do this.

makg3-1wing.jpg

My biggest recommendation is to handle each wing from it's base to prevent unwanted stress on the hinge. I advise doing this with extreme care.

I'm a bit disappointed with the wing design, and wondered why Tamashii didn't use the ball-socket joint system similar to Fire Rodan's wings to prevent this kind of problem. I believe we would have less breakage reports on the figure, and collectors would be less leery to make such a large purchase.

I'm hoping that Tamashii will get some feedback on the wing issues, and perhaps they'll make a running change on the figure to correct the wings.

Overall, the articulation on King Ghidorah is a very bold attempt on Tamashii's part to bring collectors one of the most poseable action figures in any line. The ability to get a figure of this design and size into so many poses is a pretty amazing feat!

Unfortunately, it does have some flaws that can detract from enjoying this figure more.

ACCESSORIES

makg5-1.jpg

King Ghidorah comes with his 3 gravity beam effects to accommodate each head. Unlike most previous effects in this line, the beams do not have holes for the stands that they would normally plug into.

Instead, each stand comes with an extension piece, and C-shaped parts that the beams rest on top of while being displayed.

I thought this was bit of an odd design choice as the beams don't sit very well on the stands. It requires a bit of finagling to pose all three beams without one or more falling off. I guess they are a bit thinner than previous effect designs, and the plug-in connectors couldn't be used.

Once you do get the effects displayed, King Ghidorah looks pretty intimidating raining chaos on a city or unsuspecting foe! Just be prepared to have a bit of patience posing the effects.

more...

makg10.jpg

QUALITY CONTROL

makg24.jpg

As mentioned before, I ran into some issues with my King Ghidorah with the loose tail and sagging wing base. The first one can be fixed with relative ease, however the issue with the wing will require me to handle the figure with a bit more care.

Whether the breakages of the wings with other King Ghidorah figures are due to shoddy materials, a bad design flaw, or a combination of both, Tamashii needs to correct these issues going forward. This figure was hyped to be the next level of Monsterarts engineering, and it could have been, had the wing issues not been present.

OVERALL

makg31.jpg

I'm really enjoying my King Ghidorah figure! Despite some of the flaws I found with mine, this is my default Heisei King Ghidorah figure in my collection. The sculpt is one of the best in the line, and the articulation in this scale was probably one of the most challenging to execute. I give the designers a lot of credit for tackling a figure like this given that the line is only a year old.

makg32.jpg

Tamashii will have to look at both good and bad feedback on this figure, and learn from it, if they are they to make similar designed figures in the future.

Some collectors may be put off by the high price this figure commands and not be willing to make the commitment given some of the issues. However, the Monsterarts King Ghidorah makes a great centerpiece in a collection, and I would still recommend it to collectors. Just use caution when handling it.

makg29.jpg

Also added a slideshow with more pics:

Thanks for letting me share! :)

Good review

aa669c35_reverse-1233928590_citizen20kane20clapping.gif

on another note, you had a lot of the same problems i did with him, when it comes to his wings and tail. I actually find him better than Space G, but i've always been partial to King Ghidorah, can't wait for the Destroyah to come out now!

Thanks for the compliment. :)

We should see some really good pics of Destroyah this weekend at the NYCC. I know a couple of sites that will be taking photos. Can't wait!

Yeah, I saw the pic on their FB page. Lots of speculation as to which Kong it is, ranging from the '33, Toho's version, or the 2005 version. We'll know soon! :)

Yeah, I saw the pic on their FB page. Lots of speculation as to which Kong it is, ranging from the '33, Toho's version, or the 2005 version. We'll know soon! :)

They have pics up of King Kong and Destroyah...they look pretty good. Destroyah looks like he might be bigger than King Ghidorah though.

• 2 weeks later...

magvsdpic_zps8d5793cb.jpg

original link: http://blog.yahoo.com/cybergundam/articles/725175/index

Looks good! He's going to be another shelf hog like King Ghidorah.

• Like 1

I saw the FB page for bluefin light up with pictures of Biolante, idk if its a Monsterarts because no bodies taken a picture of its card yet...so do we file this under a rumor or just a really cool display, cause even the godzilla featured in the display didn't look like a monsterarts.

I'm still playing catchup with all the news from the Tamashii 2012 event.

From what I was able to gather, the Biollante prototype was shown due to fan demand knowing there was a prototype rumored to exist, and it is for the Monsterarts line. No date or price has been set yet as Tamashii wants to find out if there is enough interest for Biollante.

The new Godzilla that also appears in the display is a prototype (no articulation yet) as he looked in Godzilla vs Biollante. The Bio-Goji is a big surprise! Nobody was expecting that figure, but it would make a great piece to compliment the MA Biollante figure. Again, no price or relaes date, but spam up Bluefin's FB page, and tell them you want these. That's pretty much how they're gauging interest and demand for these figures.

I'm loving the display that was put together!

21335_545998548749396_288720351_n.jpg

mafull.png

302717_545998518749399_1629775751_n.jpg

magvsbio2.jpg

magvsbio1.jpg

It's probably too early for a price given it's just the prototype. I hope it's a little lower, but I plan on saving up for it anyway.

A couple more pics btw...

Closeup of Biollante

mabio1.jpg

Monsterarts King Kong

makong.jpg

Tamashii posted the release date for Burning Godzilla on 11/30/12. I don't remember seeing a date yet, so I figured I'd mention it.

http://tamashii.jp/item/10038/

I need to put in a preorder soon. :)

Tamashii posted the release date for Burning Godzilla on 11/30/12. I don't remember seeing a date yet, so I figured I'd mention it.

http://tamashii.jp/item/10038/

I need to put in a preorder soon. :)

i've had mine pre-ordered for while now. That biolante is looking mighty good, i think i might pick up King Kong as well...but im not sure...still on the fence about him. I'm not sure if you saw, or are into, but they're going to be releasing the Angels from Neon Genesis Evangelion as well in the Monsterarts line.

I did see the pics of the Angels from Evangelion, and uploading them now. :)

Looks like Tamashii will be going full force for these in the Monsterarts line.

I never really followed the show or movies, and the designs aren't my cup of tea. I'm glad fans of the series will be getting these, but I'm wondering how much of a demand is present in the U.S., or if Bluefin will distribute them here.

ma9.jpg

ma7.jpg

ma8.jpg

ma6.jpg

ma5.jpg

ma4.jpg

ma2.jpg

ma3.jpg

This figure is called Vajra and is from one of the Macross series/movies as far as I know.

ma1.jpg

I'm kind of surprised the Bandai Kong looks like he's from the Peter Jackson film instead of the Toho film in which he fought Godzilla....I suppose the version of Kong looked way too damn silly, though, and they definitely seem to be going with modern versions of the monsters, so I get it.

mad6.jpg

mad7.jpg

mad8.jpg

mad9.jpg

Price:

12,600 yen

Release Date:

February 2013

I'm surprised there are no "effects" parts with him.

:( he's almost double King Ghidorah's price Q_Q!!! man and im gonna get it too lol.

Yeah, I'm not going to resist this one either! He looks that good! My poor wallet... :(

:( he's almost double King Ghidorah's price Q_Q!!! man and im gonna get it too lol.

Yeah, I'm not going to resist this one either! He looks that good! My poor wallet... :(

im surprised he doesn't come with an effects part, or at least one that hasn't been spoiled yet, because doesn't he use lightning from his horn?

Woo, got my pre-order for Destroyah today, gonna be 8820 yen without shipping :(...so the equivalent of like 113 dollars.

Where did you end up ordering from, Amiami?