Bandai S.H. MonsterArts

The Maestro

Nice pics! The colors on Fire Rodan look really good! (I see a Revoltech Anguirus hiding back there).

I'm still waiting to get my Little G. What do you think of him?

Nice pics! The colors on Fire Rodan look really good! (I see a Revoltech Anguirus hiding back there).

I'm still waiting to get my Little G. What do you think of him?

ya lol, he wanted his 15mins of fame. That Anguirus was the reason i started collecting Monsterarts, but i think the Little G is pretty cool...also the pre-order for Godzilla Junior is on Yokatta if you're interested in him.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the little goober today (finally), and took a few quick pics.

malittleg.jpg

malittleg3.jpg

malittleg4.jpg

malittleg5.jpg

I'm not going to go into a in depth review this round as he's been covered by other collectors already.

Even though he's not my favorite design, I'm glad Tamashii finished up the characters from GvSG. The spaces aren't as bad between the joints when they are moved than what some pictures suggest. Still wish Little G had some neck articulation (I know. He didn't have it in the movie).

Btw, my daughter says he is creepy looking. :lol:

I'm actually liking the crystal display that came with him too. I just wish there were more crystals to create a bigger diorama around Space Godzilla. I'll have to hunt around to see if anybody wants to sell their crystals.

Now, I just need to grab Fire Rodan to be up to date before the big guy shows up next month! Can't wait.

Thanks! :)

I need to invest in a new camera though. The digital camera I'm using is over 10 years old, while still takes decent pictures, I want to get one that picks up all the little details with these figures.

Are you planning to pick up King Ghidorah?

What kind of Godzilla would i be if i didn't pick up big bad King Ghidorah lol, I looked at those picture of him with size comparison to the Godzilla...he's really huge.

Posting this again to emphasize your point.

makg8.jpg

He's going to be the centerpiece for my Monsterarts display. September can't come fast enough!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw that picture too. I can't wait for my preorder to be filled! KG already has a space reserved on my shelf, and that's a lot of space! @bounce@

Yeah, I saw that picture too. I can't wait for my preorder to be filled! KG already has a space reserved on my shelf, and that's a lot of space! @bounce@

Ya, i'm not quite sure how i'm going to fit him on my shelf, but im going to find a way lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Something new...

madestroyah_zps5c335c3b.jpg

It looks gorgeous!

Not to take away from the Destroyah news, my Fire Rodan arrived today.

I only took some quick pics, as there are plenty of good reviews already out there.

DSC05202.jpg

DSC05206.jpg

DSC05207.jpg

Some quick comments: My Fire Rodan turned out better than expected. The face is much better in person, than what some pictures had shown, and most of the paint apps are nicely done.

I'm also loving the extra accessories FR comes with. The spiral beam for Godzilla outclasses both other atomic breath beams, conveying the sheer power coming from Godzilla.

FR's uranium beam is nicely done too.

I won't be handling Fire Rodan that often, as some parts are extremely small and only held on by small ball joints, especially the tail.

Probably not the best figure in the line, but he's still a nice addition.

Told you FR was pretty cool :D. omg i saw the announcement for Destroyah last night but hadn't seen any picture...i cant wait for it to come out now. Hopefully they release a figure of Zilla soon'ish, also still waiting on King Ghidorah...haven't even gotten my payment confirmation yet. :(

edit: where did you find the picture of Destroyah?

Told you FR was pretty cool :D. omg i saw the announcement for Destroyah last night but hadn't seen any picture...i cant wait for it to come out now. Hopefully they release a figure of Zilla soon'ish, also still waiting on King Ghidorah...haven't even gotten my payment confirmation yet. :(

I hit a few Godzilla forums and the Club Tokyo forums found the Destroyah scan on a Japanese site. Yeah, he looks incredible!

From what I know, Tamashii Bluefin will be at NYCC in October, and showing off new Monsterarts. Can't wait to see what is in the works.

Btw, I just got my invoice for KG too, and I ended up shipping EMS. He's an expensive bugger, but from early pics that I'm seeing online, he'll be worth it. I plan on doing a full review when I get him.

• Like 1

I hit a few Godzilla forums and the Club Tokyo forums found the Destroyah scan on a Japanese site. Yeah, he looks incredible!

From what I know, Tamashii Bluefin will be at NYCC in October, and showing off new Monsterarts. Can't wait to see what is in the works.

Btw, I just got my invoice for KG too, and I ended up shipping EMS. He's an expensive bugger, but from early pics that I'm seeing online, he'll be worth it. I plan on doing a full review when I get him.

Damn, your shipping had to have been WAY more then mine.

It was 5,120 yen to ship EMS. :blink: I must have been crazy to pay that, but I want King Ghidorah. Most of the early reviews I'm reading are pretty positive.

Can't wait to do a review myself.

They have posted production photos of Destroyah, Burning Godzilla, and Godzilla Junior on the bluefin site. Destroyah and Burning G look pretty huge...but that might be cause Godzilla Junior is so much smaller in comparison.

They have posted production photos of Destroyah, Burning Godzilla, and Godzilla Junior on the bluefin site. Destroyah and Burning G look pretty huge...but that might be cause Godzilla Junior is so much smaller in comparison.

I was checking out those photos earlier. Destroyah should be huge. He stands well above Burning Godzilla in the movie.

I think he'll be the most expensive Monsterart at 12,600 yen according to the card next to him. Ouch...I need to start saving for this guy!

I was checking out those photos earlier. Destroyah should be huge. He stands well above Burning Godzilla in the movie.

I think he'll be the most expensive Monsterart at 12,600 yen according to the card next to him. Ouch...I need to start saving for this guy!

oh god, are you serious?! i didn't even see the potential price tag for him :(

So! i got my King Ghidorah today..was a nice surprise after a long day at work. i just did a few quick snap shots of him...put the box up though so i totally fumbled on taking a shot with him next to it...free of his plastic prison.

HPIM0306.jpg

HPIM0305.jpg

HPIM0304.jpg

Mine came the same exact box. :) I'm actually working on a review and will post later. Such an awesome looking figure! Congratz on the grab!

Just be mindful of KG's wings, and grab them from the base of the wing when posing. There have been reports of the wing snapping off.

Mine came the same exact box. :) I'm actually working on a review and will post later. Such an awesome looking figure! Congratz on the grab!

Just be mindful of KG's wings, and grab them from the base of the wing when posing. There have been reports of the wing snapping off.

Dude, i would be so furious if that happened to me. he really is an absolutely gorgeous figure though, i was thoroughly impressed with him. I had already started grabbing his wings by the base cause i noticed they were alittle loose so it left me with more concern of their weight.

Just wanted to share my experience and review with the MA King Ghidorah:

S.H. MONSTERARTS KING GHIDORAH REVIEW

Up for review is the Tamashii Nations' S.H. Monsterarts King Ghidorah action figure that was released on September 29, 2012 in Japan. This figure has a suggested retail price of 10,290 yen (about $130.00 USD) and is the most expensive figure to date in this line.

This figure is based off one of the most popular monsters to appear in a Godzilla film. This particular incarnation of King Ghidorah is based off his appearance of the 1991 film, “Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.” Fans of the Godzilla films easily recognize King Ghidorah as one of Godzilla's biggest adversaries with his three dragon-like heads, large wings, and scaly gold skin. This review will cover how Tamashii attempted to capture this iconic monster.

PRESENTATION

King Ghidorah comes in a very large window style box with mostly yellow illustrations and graphics. The box is huge compared to previous releases of the Monsterarts line. On the right, King Ghidorah's three heads are pictured, while most of the remaining front is an open window display showing off the large figure.

makg1-1.jpg

Unlike previous releases that used actual photos of the costumes, King Ghidorah's box uses illustrations of the monster instead. I thought this was an interesting change, and assume there wasn't a group shot of the heads that would fit properly on the box.

makg28.jpg

On the back of the box, a few more pictures of King Ghidorah are shown in different poses and using his accessories.

makg26.jpg

Again, the box is biggest in this line, so far. If you're a collector that keeps your figures sealed in their boxes, be prepared to have a large space to accommodate it.

FIGURE

makg2-1.jpg

Once removed from the box, King Ghidorah comes in a clear clamshell plastic tray with a few accessories including his 3 gravity beams, stands, stand extensions, & base. More on those later.

The figure stands at about 10 inches from top of the middle head to to toe when standing upright, measures at a whopping 20 inches when stretched from head to tail, and the the wingspan measures at 18 inches. King Ghidorah is the biggest kaiju in the Monsterarts line, and will stand out in any Godzilla display. Like his box, be prepared to make some room for him. He'll eat up your shelf space!

DSC05244.jpg

more next post...

When I originally saw promotional pictures for King Ghidorah, I had thought the figure was cast in a metallic gold plastic. After inspecting some of the inner parts, most of the figure is cast in a gold/beige solid colored plastic. To my surprise, it turns out most of the plastic was painted over in a metallic gold color.

makg4-1.jpg

SCULPT

I have to say that most of the sculpts in the Monstearts line have been good to stellar capturing the distinctive looks of the characters from the movies. Space Godzilla has been my favorite so far in the line. Does King Ghidorah knock Space Godzilla out of that spot? Maybe.

The sculpt for King Ghidorah is gorgeous and is a great representation of the monster from the Heisei era that I've come across!

Starting with the heads, each one manages to capture King Ghidorah's sinister look with his spiral horns, snakelike eyes, serrated teeth & forked tongue.

makg9-1.jpg

Each long neck holds many details including a ribbing design on the neck's underside with tons of scales adorning the remainder of the necks. I thought the ribbing design helped hide the breaks where the articulation is present in certain poses. The necks also sport small small horns that run down the back of each neck. The small horns can be pointy, so be careful when handling them.

makg19.jpg

The chest and lower body are also covered in amazing amount of detail with scales covering almost the entire body. I am really impressed with how the scales were sculpted. I was expecting the scales to blend in with each other, but instead the scales are slightly raised and overlap.

The lower body also gives a bit of muscle definition especially around the chest and leg areas. Given the amounts of scales covering the body, the sculptor was still able to convey the look of the monster's muscular build.

One of the biggest highlights of the sculpt are the wings. Before I saw early reviews, I had thought that the wings would be a softer material than the rest of the figure. Once I had it in hand, I can say the wings are made of the same plastic material as the rest of the figure and are very solid.

More scales extend outward about 3 inches from the base of each wing, while the remaining area of the wing shows some well sculpted bone structure details that are covered by leathery metallic gold skin. The wings are very majestic looking on King Ghidorah, and they really capture the iconic look of the monster!

King Ghidorah last parts are two long tails also covered in scaly detail that ends in two spiky barbs. Again, I'm thoroughly impressed in how much detail was put into such a large figure, especially in this scale!

He does give the Space Godzilla figure a run for his money in the details department and would say King Ghidorah is at least on par if not better in the sculpt overall.

makg8-1.jpg

PAINT

Most of the figure was given a metallic gold paint finish with some minor paints apps around the mouth areas. I was expecting some small glops of paint to be noticeable on the scales and wing areas, given all the gold paint that was used, but the applications are very even on the wings, and the scale details are never muted out from the paint.

The inner lining of the mouth and the tongue were given red paint apps, and the teeth are individually painted in white with some slight staining. These paint details are a nice contrast to all the gold used around the face, and gives King Ghidorah a bit more of an organic look to him.

makg17.jpg

More next post :)...

ARTICULATION

King Ghidorah comes in at an insane 89 individually moving parts with 17 points of articulation in each tail and 13 points for each head and neck. To say this is one of Tamashii's most ambitious endeavors in articulation would be an understatement.

makg12.jpg

The lower jaw on each individual head has the ability to open and close, while the tongues can swivel from left to right.

makg7-1.jpg

makg20.jpg

The parts on the necks utilize the ball-socket joint connections, and have very good range of poseability. I was able to get the necks in a number of serpentine type poses including being able to wrap the necks around other figures. I moved the necks around a good bit, with the joints holding together well, and no looseness or parts falling off after posing.

makg21.jpg

I had similar success with the tails, however I did have one joint that popped off while posing. It comes off with minor pressure, but it's relatively easy to pop back on. A coat of clear nail polish on the ball joint should solve this particular issue.

makg18.jpg

more...