Bandai S.H. MonsterArts

The Maestro

Images are starting to trickle out from the SDCC on Bluefin Tamashii's Facebook page and twitter:

http://www.facebook.com/Tamashii.USA

sdccexplosion.png

We get a better look of the final product in and out of the box. Looks pretty sweet!

I'm hoping we see some new stuff tonight!

Another pic from SDCC:

sdccexplosion3.png

I want this diorama!

I can see KG's tail on the left, and Little G on the far right. Hope we get some new reveals soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine over the weekend and did a review.

Up for review is the Tamashii Nations' first U.S. exclusive release of their Monsterarts line. This is a special version of the Monsterarts Godzilla that was released as part of the many exclusives that were only available at the 2012 San Diego Comic Convention. This exclusive figure originally retailed for $55.00 at the convention.

This specially colored version of Godzilla is based off one of his final looks in the 90's film, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, and represents Godzilla's nuclear energy running uncontrollably throughout his body, eventually leading to his meltdown.

PRESENTATION

sdccg1bmp.jpg

Godzilla comes in a window box similar to other Monsterarts releases with a large head shot of the character adorning the right side. This one shows the head of Godzilla in a mostly reddish orange color scheme with glowing yellow eyes letting collectors know that this is a fiery version of the beast!

The difference with this version compared to other releases is the picture of Godzilla is not a photo from the movies, but rather an illustration. The artwork for the box was done by renowned Japanese illustrator Yasushi Torisawa who has worked on character and costume related content for Godzilla and other Japanese live action series.

sdcc2bmp.jpg

More art by Torisawa adorns the back depicting a fiery looking Godzilla rampaging through the convention center with people running out of the building.

Also, on the back are small bios regarding Yasushi Torisawa and monster sculptor and designer Yuji Sakai.

The box alone is an eye catcher, and does a nice job getting the attention of collectors!

sdccg3bmp.jpgsdccg4bmp.jpg

sdccg5bmp.jpg

cont'd next post...

FIGURE

sdccg7bmp.jpg

Inside the box, Godzilla comes in a clear tray by himself with no accessories. I wasn't really surprised by this given the exclusiveness, but I wouldn't have minded some unique accessory to go along with him.

Instead of the traditional charcoal gray color, Godzilla is cast in a translucent orange plastic. The plastic feels a tiny bit softer compared to the regular release, but the difference is minimal.

sdccg8.jpg

sdccg9.jpg

Under the right light, you can see some of the inner workings on how the joints attach to each other with the different ball and plug-in joints. This is especially noticeable with the tail as each segment alternates with a light then dark tone giving an almost striped appearance.

sdccg11.jpg

DSC04830.jpg

Only some minor paint apps were applied but are very effective. The dorsal plates on Godzilla's back were given a bright yellowish hue to them. This gives the plates the illusion of glowing with power, and really pops on this figure! The plates also do a nice job offsetting the main orange color.

cont'd next post...

sdccg10.jpg

The other minor paint app is the painted red tongue. Like the dorsal plates, it helps break up the orange a bit when Godzilla is in a roaring pose. I thought this was an interesting creative decision for the final colors.

One issue that I'm sure some collectors may have been concerned was with Godzilla's eyes. Some first releases of the figure had quality control issues with one of Godzilla's eyes not aligned correctly. This gave Godzilla an odd and unwanted expression many fans would call the “derp” or “derpy” look.

The explosion version doesn't suffer from this. His eyes are a solid colored orange with no visible irises or pupils. This gives Godzilla an almost zombie-like appearance. The look also reminds me of the Godzilla from the “GMK: Giant Monsters All Out Attack” movie.

SCULPT

Godzilla sports the same sculpt as the first release Godzilla with no visible tooling changes. This version represents the 90's or Heisei era version of Godzilla. The sculpt has amazing detail from the wrinkly textured skin to the lined dorsal plates on its back. Some of the detailing does get washed out because of the translucent plastic, but it usually depends on the lighting it's under.

sdccg13.jpg

DSC04842.jpg

ARTICULATION

Tamashii boasts that Godzilla has 29 points of articulation. The tail alone has 18 points and can be posed in a number of different positions.

However, some collectors who owned the first version had issues with not being able to utilize the articulation on the figure due to the bulky design and being only limited to certain poses. This problem seemed to have been resolved with the Monsterarts Space Godzilla which has a similar sculpt.

Even though the explosion version is the same as the first sculpt, it has a little more range for poses. I believe this may be due to the translucent plastic which may be slightly softer and allows for more movement with the joints.

QUALITY CONTROL

I didn't see too many problems with my purchase. Out of the box, the shoulder and neck joints seemed to stick out a bit, but it was relatively easy to push the parts back on to the ball joints.

Paint issues didn't seem to be a problem as there are only minor paint apps on the figure. Those that are there look nice with minimal issue. Again, the dorsal plates really stand out for me!

OVERALL

The completist in me was glad I was able to get a hold of this. I thought the overall execution of this figure worked very well. The colors are vibrant, and the red breath accessory that came with my effects set compliments this figure nicely. I will eventually swap it out in favor of the one that comes with the Monsterarts Rodan. The spiral ray looks even better from some of the pictures I've seen.

DSC04843.jpg

DSC04844.jpg

Cont'd next post...

Is the “Explosion” for everyone? Probably not. The $100 price tag that some are asking for at this point may be a bit much, so I would hunt around for better deals.

This is a version of Godzilla for a niche market referencing a small but relevant piece of his history. The bright orange colors might not be for everyone, but I still recommend it if you can get it a decent price. It does make a nice display piece among the other Monsterarts figures, but your mileage may vary with this figure.

DSC04847.jpg

End Review

Thanks for letting me share! :)

Looks like we're getting an official MA Burning Godzilla.

mabg.jpg

Taken from Hobby Japan September 2012 scans:

http://blog.yahoo.com/cybergundam/articles/664759/index

The legs look and dorsal plates appeared to have been retooled to make it BG appear larger like he did in the movie.

btw, the hits keep on coming!

First pic of Godzilla Junior!

magjr.jpg

http://www.toy-world.com.hk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=41138&extra=page%3D1#.UA2CQ_UoOGI

• Like 1

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO This is what Bandai is doing since giving Thundercats Classics the shaft! FU Bandai and the Godzilla you road in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^Not sure what one has to do with the other. Two completely different marketing and development teams catering to two very different markets. One line's success or failure has little or no bearing on the other line. I think you anger might be misdirected.

Anyway, back on topic...

Another picture has surfaced of Godilla Jr.

magjr2.jpg

Appeared to create a prototype Godzilla Junior Yuji Sakai.

Godzilla movie Godzilla Junior of the main suit for shooting Mr. Sakai worked for the first time!

In addition to molding overwhelming force, can also pose unique Godzilla Junior slightly anteverted!

Miki Saegusa machine comes with two helicopters were watching Godzilla Junior.  (Wed.) 16:00 - Sun 25 July 2012 start accepting orders  accepted order pending completion  scheduled for December 2012 will be sending items  VS Godzilla Destroy A work appeared in  the main body content and products  Helicopter 2 ×  pedestal for Helicopter  Product material ABS, PVC main  Height approx 110mm Product Size  Age 15 years -  is a prototype image ※ Remark. And may differ from the actual product.  ※ may be to change product specifications without notice or the date of shipment. Please acknowledge it beforehand.  ※ This product is available in overseas sales plans. 4,200 yen price: 16 - July 25, 2012: reservations start shipping schedule December 2012: delivery date

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000076618/

Tamashii updated their website with clear pics of Burning Godzilla.

http://tamashii.jp/t_item/t_item.php?eid=00105

mabg1.jpg

mabg2.jpg

mabg3.jpg

mabg4.jpg

mabg5.jpg

cont'd next post...

mabg6.jpg

mabg7.jpg

Prototypes comparing the 1st version with this new version:

photo.jpg

Proto of junior:

photo_2.jpg

Translated description of Burning Godzilla:

SHMonsterArts Godzilla (1995)

Price: 7,140 yen (tax included)

~ Years old: 15 November 2012 will be subject Release Date:

■ 155mm Product Specifications Height approx.

Species and 2 PVC, car-body-contents ■ ■ Mesa initial award set made of ABS

I can't believe they went with a new sculpt for Burning Godzilla! It looks good!

It looks really good, loving that Godzilla Junior as well. Got in my Fire Rodan today, i've got to say its probably the best of all of the Monsterarts figures.

Nice! You'll have to post some pics. I know some have reported a couple of QC problems with Fire Rodan, so I'm curious if your figure had any problems.

It looks really good, loving that Godzilla Junior as well. Got in my Fire Rodan today, i've got to say its probably the best of all of the Monsterarts figures.

Nice! You'll have to post some pics. I know some have reported a couple of QC problems with Fire Rodan, so I'm curious if your figure had any problems.

What's QC? i'll take some pictures later today, but i got him set up already fighting my Space Godzilla with Revoltech Anguirus and SH Monsterarts Godzilla.

QC is quality control. There are some reviews on Fire Rodan stating that the figure had loose joints with the tail.

QC is quality control. There are some reviews on Fire Rodan stating that the figure had loose joints with the tail.

I didn't see a problem with his tail at all, The new blast that came with Rodan for Godzilla is like an inch longer than the one for the pre-order bonus.

I didn't see a problem with his tail at all, The new blast that came with Rodan for Godzilla is like an inch longer than the one for the pre-order bonus.

Nice! I need to order Fire Rodan soon.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO This is what Bandai is doing since giving Thundercats Classics the shaft! FU Bandai and the Godzilla you road in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong region my friend. Your anger should be directed at Bandai America, not Bandai Japan. Same company but completly different arms.

Nice! I need to order Fire Rodan soon.

I have FINALLY gotten Little G in, i'll be posting picture of him and his packaging once i can find my camera.