George Lucas to retire from blockbuster filmmaking

Wheeljack35

You guys should check out RedLetterMedia.com's reviews on the prequel films.

I love those things! great stuff! I plan on watching the Phantom Menace one and drinking till im good and drunk enough to take in the Phantom 3d rerelease.

also...how long til George gets crazy enough to alter Han's "I know" to "I love you, too" as he originally intended? I mean, for someone who wants total control and has already shown such contempt for fans and the collaborative effort of filmmaking, why not take that ultimate step?

What shot are you referring to Mike? You've piqued my interest...

I have a similar gripe though; of all the things Lucas decided to "fix" in ANH, and he still has Walrus Man's bloody arm (with humanoid fingers mind you) lying on the cantina floor in the bar scene when he should clearly have changed it to show a cauterized effect from the intense heat of the lightsaber blade. As much as I admire and take up for Lucas, such little inconsistencies still bother me.

What shot are you referring to Mike? You've piqued my interest...

I have a similar gripe though; of all the things Lucas decided to "fix" in ANH, and he still has Walrus Man's bloody arm (with humanoid fingers mind you) lying on the cantina floor in the bar scene when he should clearly have changed it to show a cauterized effect from the intense heat of the lightsaber blade. As much as I admire and take up for Lucas, such little inconsistencies still bother me.

It's during the scene when Leia, in disguise, claims the bounty on Chewbacca. There are shots of Boba Fett in which Boba Fett's image is reversed. I guess the shot was no good as it was, because of where Boba was standing in relation to Leia and Jabba and that's why it got reversed. They almost get away with it, except for the antenna on Boba's helmet.

They took the cheap way out. (lol) Filmmakers should never flip shots, and never reverse the film, ala Robin drowning in Poison Ivy's lair in Batman and Robin. The modern moviegoer has too good an eye for tricks like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like he lets too many of the fans and critics get to him but he should look at the big picture and realize what a success he has created and that you can't please everybody. I just hope he lets the franchise continue with somebody else in charge of Star Wars.

I truly feel bad for the man. I had wondered for a long time what he must think of all the criticism, but then I would always assume that he must feel as if these movies were his babies, as it were, and that he probably didn't care what the detractors say as long as he's happy with the end product, since he never said anything in interviews and what-not. But then for him to suddenly come out with a statement alluding to some sort of resentment or hint of disappointment over the backlash, it was a reminder that at the end of the day George Lucas is just a man, and mere mortals can only take so much negativity. I truly feel sorry for the man.

• Like 1

at around mark 16:30…

…everything that is wrong with Star Wars geeks: "The prequels were bad, but not that bad….hey, its Star Wars! Let's show em how critics cant hurt us by laughing at it ourselves…oh, and drag Indiana Jones down with us!"

I love Star Wars always have and always will, I own multiple versions of the original trilogy, video games,boxes filled with novels and action figures, plus I can probably quote all of the movies line by line in short I'm a star wars geek to the core. That said I don't get the extreme hate against George Lucas sure the guy is far from perfect but it's not like he's the devil. I mean whiny fanboys sometimes forget that he wrote the story produced the movies and even financed them so basically they're his. I understand the fanaticism and the sense of ownership we can feel towards the Star Wars saga but ultimately the films are his to do as he pleases. If I walked up to a neighbor and said hey "hey, you ruined your house by painting it I liked the previous color why did you go ahead and change it, he would probably tell me: who cares what you think? F**k off". As for the prequels I actually enjoy them a lot, could they have been better? Yes but they also could have been worse, too. Sure there was bad acting and silliness but the special effects were top notch and the story was told well regardless unlike Avatar where I paid a movie ticket to watch the space version of Dances with Wolves and the Iraq conflict(decided to continue the James Cameron bashing trend). As for George Lucas retiring it's a little sad but didn't he already said this around the time Revenge of the Sith was about to come out. It's a shame the whole fan criticism thing getting to him although I admit he has handled it surprisingly well.

• Like 1

My only beef with him is he keeps changing these current movies instead of wanting to make episoedes 7,8 and 9.With those he can't be critisized because that would be uncharted territory.I don't care about fanfics from that era

Well, supposedly he has stated on occasion that there is no episode 7,8,9 the story ended in epsiode 6 ROTJ, but to be honest there has been so many urban legends regarding Star Wars that I don't know what's true anymore. Personally I rather he concentrated in the live action star wars series that would take place between ROTS and ANH since that was announced years ago and nothing yet. I was looking forward to that specially since it may feature Quinlan Vos.

• Like 1

I understand the fanaticism and the sense of ownership we can feel towards the Star Wars saga but ultimately the films are his to do as he pleases. If I walked up to a neighbor and said hey "hey, you ruined your house by painting it I liked the previous color why did you go ahead and change it, he would probably tell me: who cares what you think? F**k off".

Thats such a bogus defense, and Im tired of hearing it. Films are made to be seen by an audience: it has to be a shared experience, entertaining, pleasing, or not. Guess George Doucheous is just a selfish prick that doesnt really get his own medium. I mean, he's more than happy to take in all the money that helped make those films that he wanted to see just for himself. If he really wanted to save face, he should have just made his movies, stayed quiet, and out of sight. Every time he opens his mouth...I mean, f**k.

ab909f6a-23a2-4846-919a-5ecab3f83d74.jpg

• Like 2

In defense of Phantom Menace...

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1218394p1.html

"But first and foremost, before Episode I, there was no portrayal of a living, breathing Jedi Order on screen."

Did anyone else picture such wooden Jedi after the life and humor we saw in Obi and Yoda in the OT? Their philosophies are the worst kind of popular tripe, their actions are slow, and their methods are highly questionable...you are a poor Jedi, Mace Windu.

"I love Phantom Menace for broadening the scope of the Star Wars Universe not just with Jedi and new creatures, but with a real, fault-ridden political system that is ultimately the cause of its own destruction. Palpatine's plan, as we come to learn, is actually pretty impressive..."

This guy apparently didnt see the plot holes pointed out by Plinkett.

"Whether or not you care about the characters beyond Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan is a different story, but thematically Phantom Menace operates on the same level as A New Hope does."

So many things wrong with this...yeah, there are some thematic allusions, but only because George is a sloppy writer resting on his laurels. Not caring about characters is okay because the story is the same as the original?! I didnt even care about Qui or Obi!

"I find Jar Jar far less annoying than C-3PO, and I think midichlorians serve the same purpose that politics do"

I give Jar Jar a pass, but the midichlorians? Still @##@@ stupid.

"Whatever your thoughts on Phantom Menace, I urge you to try and put your personal feelings of "George Lucas somehow personally has it out for me" aside and give the movie a watch on its own merits...Sure, it's got Jake "Pumpkinhead" Lloyd spouting drivel like "I'm a person and my name is Anakin," but it's also a vast exploration of a galaxy that we never thought we'd see again on screen, and...

Blah Blah Blah...sounds like more of the "Hey, it's Star Wars" geek attitude, right Indian?

"Oh, and one last thing, perhaps the ultimate nullifier: Darth f****ing Maul."

And by that he meant the nullification of anything he tried to be so insightful with in the article. Yep, another nerd drooling over a lightsaber, no, 2 lightsabers taped together.

• Like 2

I watched my letterbox tapes of the original trilogy last month. I hadn't sat down and watched the Star Wars movies in years. So after the watching the original trilogy, I can't imagine how the prequels came to be so awful. It's like he didn't even try building on what was established in the original trilogy. I don't care what kind of notes he had when first thought up Star Wars, the movies are what matter. Hell, the movies didn't even fit into the Expanded Universe that was established during the 1990s. Those Dark Horse comics about the Old Republic painted a much different picture of how Jedi should be. The prequel trilogy only gave us a bunch of cosplayers in expensive costumes.

Putting that aside, all I really want from George Lucas is the theatrical version of the original trilogy on Blu-Ray. That's all. I don't want him to change the Special Editions. There's pretty much no need to do so, as long as the theatrical versions are available. The prequels are done and they're here to stay. There's nothing to be done about them, so there's no point in worrying about them anymore. The theatrical version of the original trilogy on Blu-Ray is last bit of business that needs to be done.

I understand the fanaticism and the sense of ownership we can feel towards the Star Wars saga but ultimately the films are his to do as he pleases. If I walked up to a neighbor and said hey "hey, you ruined your house by painting it I liked the previous color why did you go ahead and change it, he would probably tell me: who cares what you think? F**k off".

Thats such a bogus defense, and Im tired of hearing it. Films are made to be seen by an audience: it has to be a shared experience, entertaining, pleasing, or not. Guess George Doucheous is just a selfish prick that doesnt really get his own medium. I mean, he's more than happy to take in all the money that helped make those films that he wanted to see just for himself. If he really wanted to save face, he should have just made his movies, stayed quiet, and out of sight. Every time he opens his mouth...I mean, f**k.

ab909f6a-23a2-4846-919a-5ecab3f83d74.jpg

As bogus as complaining of changes in movies, or how much money George Lucas makes, really? The guy is far from perfect nor the changes in the movies are the most ideal but it gets tiresome every time there's news about George Lucas people come out complaining either how they hate the changes in the SW movies or how much money George Lucas is making off the movie. No one is forcing you to watch the movies much less paying for them If you don't like them or disagree about the way they're done simply don't watch them. You're well within your rights to boycott something if you don't like it.

• Like 1

I watched my letterbox tapes of the original trilogy last month. I hadn't sat down and watched the Star Wars movies in years. So after the watching the original trilogy, I can't imagine how the prequels came to be so awful. It's like he didn't even try building on what was established in the original trilogy. I don't care what kind of notes he had when first thought up Star Wars, the movies are what matter. Hell, the movies didn't even fit into the Expanded Universe that was established during the 1990s. Those Dark Horse comics about the Old Republic painted a much different picture of how Jedi should be. The prequel trilogy only gave us a bunch of cosplayers in expensive costumes.

Putting that aside, all I really want from George Lucas is the theatrical version of the original trilogy on Blu-Ray. That's all. I don't want him to change the Special Editions. There's pretty much no need to do so, as long as the theatrical versions are available. The prequels are done and they're here to stay. There's nothing to be done about them, so there's no point in worrying about them anymore. The theatrical version of the original trilogy on Blu-Ray is last bit of business that needs to be done.

I don't know if you got them but a couple of years back they released a DVD set that had both the unaltered original trilogy and the special edition to me this was the ideal set since it pleased both sides of the fence. The only problem was that the original trilogy was so unaltered that it look grainy not DVD quality at all. Who knows maybe that's what they'll do with the Blu Ray.

I don't know if you got them but a couple of years back they released a DVD set that had both the unaltered original trilogy and the special edition to me this was the ideal set since it pleased both sides of the fence. The only problem was that the original trilogy was so unaltered that it look grainy not DVD quality at all. Who knows maybe that's what they'll do with the Blu Ray.

I didn't bother with them becasue they weren't formatted to play on widescreen TVs. They're basically just the VHS letterbox version, only on DVD. The THX version of the trilogy, which was released in 1995, I think, was good, but the sound mix was off. The Blu-Ray should have something like that.

I didn't bother with them becasue they weren't formatted to play on widescreen TVs. They're basically just the VHS letterbox version, only on DVD. The THX version of the trilogy, which was released in 1995, I think, was good, but the sound mix was off. The Blu-Ray should have something like that.

I didn't get the Blu Rays since somehow I couldn't care about them, but the reviews I read were consistent in their praise of the sound, supposedly in some of them the best thing was the sound. I'm thinking they're gonna release the Blu Rays again in 3D or something like they did with LOTR where they had the regular and the extended maybe then they include all versions of the movie and keep the sound quality one can only hope.