George Lucas to retire from blockbuster filmmaking

Wheeljack35

I'm not suprised in the least. There's only so much endless complaining and negative criticism one man can take, no matter who they are. And it's so sad, because the man is walking away from a business and process that he truly loves. I feel for him. You can tell he's taken all the negativity to heart by his comments. I just hate to see him bow out on such a sad, negative note. Good grief...

• Like 1

He's retiring from big budget type movies, and focusing on smaller art house type films he made in his early days as a film maker.

Anyone who is still complaining about the Prequels at this point... need to get over it. (And no, you are not over it if you are STILL compelled to comment on them.)

Take it with a metric ton of salt. He's been claiming he wanted to do this for years, but it never actually happens. He's too obsessed with the technology of filmmaking over the storytelling involved, and too embroiled in running his multimedia empire. Plus, this in no way prevents him from producing big-budget blockbusters, just directing them, really. As I said, he's so focused on pushing the technology used in filmmaking that going "low budget" is virtually impossible.

I'd have a lot more respect for this decision if it involved, say, setting up a fund for aspiring and promising young filmmakers to "make your own THX 1138." The man's going to leave a powerful legacy regardless, but what better way to cap it off than by helping to develop the next generation of filmmakers?

I will, however, wholeheartedly agree with the "get over it" sentiment where the prequels and special editions are concerned. As I said elsewhere, I've long since passed the point where the complaints became more annoying than the flaws/changes.

Anyway, I'll also maintain that most people got the wrong impression of George Lucas from the start. Star Wars (ANH) convinced people that Lucas was a great storyteller and visionary filmmaker. The problem was that he WAS (and is) a visionary filmmaker, but not in the storytelling sense. Rather, he's a visionary in the behind-the-scenes crafting of a film (primarily FX work and the overall technology of filmmaking), and even more so the marketing. That's why I always felt that his partnership with Steven Spielberg was the best of both worlds. Spielberg is a great storyteller. When they work together and both bring their "A" game you get some of the most entertaining movies of all time.

Still, it's hard to feel bad for Lucas. When the guy can go home and cry himself to sleep while rolling around in 20+ billion dollars (I think the Lucasfilm Empire was estimated at $22 billion, last I heard....), it's hard to evoke much sympathy for him saying "people on the internet hate me!"

• Like 1

This thread brings up a good point in that the complaining is getting old (and I'm guilty of it too). At this point, what else do you say? Regardless of whether or not the man is a good story teller, I can only imagine how he himself must feel about it all the time.

I was never waiting breathlessly for episodes 7, 8, and 9 anyway. The story ended after ROTJ. For me, Star Wars and George himself will be remembered for the three original films, which were some of the best movies ever made. That won't change.

This thread brings up a good point in that the complaining is getting old (and I'm guilty of it too). At this point, what else do you say? Regardless of whether or not the man is a good story teller, I can only imagine how he himself must feel about it all the time.

I was never waiting breathlessly for episodes 7, 8, and 9 anyway. The story ended after ROTJ. For me, Star Wars and George himself will be remembered for the three original films, which were some of the best movies ever made. That won't change.

Why should he feel bad? His prequels ensured the existence of at least two new generations of Star Wars fans. Many of them will become Star Wars nerds when they grow up and help support Lucas' grown children.

Georgie retired after Crusade, whether he's consciously aware of it or not... And if they are talking actual "directing", then he was done after the original Star Wars movie.... Man I rather watch Captain EO over and over in fckin 3D, than be subjected to some of the s**ty acting, in the Star Wars prequels... At least Captain EO had cool music, to which Sonic the Hedgehog score writers probably stole from... But to each his own....

P.S. I don't hate Lucas, Ive never even been mad at him actually... Ive just never agreed with how obsessive he can be over Star Wars... I'm talking about the legal crap against fans, and stuff like that... In no way is Lucas in the same world as James Cameron... Cameron, now there's a huge a**hle.... I cant help but want to give the toilet two courtesy flushes, anytime that I see that guy...

• Like 2

Georgie retired after Crusade, whether he's consciously aware of it or not... And if they are talking actual "directing", then he was done after the original Star Wars movie.... Man I rather watch Captain EO over and over in fckin 3D, than be subjected to some of the shtty acting, in the Star Wars prequels... At least Captain EO had cool music, to which Sonic the Hedgehog score writers probably stole from... But to each his own....

P.S. I don't hate Lucas, Ive never even been mad at him actually... Ive just never agreed with how obsessive he can be over Star Wars... I'm talking about the legal crap against fans, and stuff like that... In no way is Lucas in the same world as James Cameron... Cameron, now there's a huge asshle.... I cant help but want to give the toilet two courtesy flushes, anytime that I see that guy...

It is said that the sonic the hedgehog 3 song was composed by MJ. Originally, Mj and his music producers we going to do the score for Sonic 3.However, because of the molestation charges, his name was pulled from the game, and so his involvement of the game's soundtrack..r so Sega wants you to believe. Some of the sonic 3 songs are in fact variations of several MJ songs

Georgie retired after Crusade, whether he's consciously aware of it or not... And if they are talking actual "directing", then he was done after the original Star Wars movie.... Man I rather watch Captain EO over and over in fckin 3D, than be subjected to some of the shtty acting, in the Star Wars prequels... At least Captain EO had cool music, to which Sonic the Hedgehog score writers probably stole from... But to each his own....

P.S. I don't hate Lucas, Ive never even been mad at him actually... Ive just never agreed with how obsessive he can be over Star Wars... I'm talking about the legal crap against fans, and stuff like that... In no way is Lucas in the same world as James Cameron... Cameron, now there's a huge asshle.... I cant help but want to give the toilet two courtesy flushes, anytime that I see that guy...

Captain EO was great..........We can change the world!!!

I can't stand James Cameron either..........what a a**hle like you said

I never understood the disdain for the prequels, sure the first one wasn't that great but the second and third picked up some real steam and were enjoyable dispite the wooden acting of the lead male. I am a George Lucas fan and though not a fan of his focus of the Clone Wars era I do think he has done a well enough job and didn't deserve the harsh and constant treatment from fans. I was hoping before his death or situations like this that we would see what happened those years when the empire rose to power and Vader hunted down the remaining Jedi, also with the formation of the rebellion.

Oh well, expect more Clone Wars crap with or without him.

• Like 1

Why should he feel bad? His prequels ensured the existence of at least two new generations of Star Wars fans.

Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?

Many of them will become Star Wars nerds when they grow up and help support Lucas' grown children.

like we need more misguided prequel fans, or people that insist on showing the films to their kids in order. Gross.

• Like 1

I too am glad too see others, that see Cameron for the anus that he really is...

Here's Cameron during a hemorrhoid breakout....

I just cant stand Cameron's ego and swagger... The guy thinks he walks on water...and that everything he makes, is gold and Oscar worthy. And then he pulls childish tantrums, if another movie beats his.... He also treats many of his actors/actresses and crew members like s**t... James Remar (an awesome and very underrated actor) was supposed to be the original actor to play Hicks, in "Aliens"... And that fell through due to "creative differences", which is another way of saying that Cameron took his ball home... Cameron is the kind of a**hle that doesn't appreciate his fans... I really cant stand "artists" like that... They forget that if no one pays attention to their work, then the said "artists" wouldn't have the dough and status that they get.... The fans make the artists/entertainers what they are, not the other way around... I admire many people but I never idolize any of them, I don't feel that they are above us in anyway. They are human beings just like the rest of us. They eat, use the bathroom, and will one day die...just like everyone else... So a lot of those artists/entertainers, should really put away the "god complex" which many of them carry... But that's just my personal view, on that kind of stuff.

All Cameron has in my opinion is the Terminator movies, "Point Break" (he helped produce it), "Aliens", and part of the FX work on "Escape From New York"... Everything else is way overrated in my opinion... Titanic sucked, and so did Avatar.... I'm really glad that he never did Spider-Man... But to each his own....

P.S. the reason that I made a Lucas tie-in with that Anus, is because Cameron claimed that he quit his truck driving job, and went into film making after he watched Star Wars....

• Like 2

This whole incedent makes me want to give the prequils a hug...

In fairness, the prequels will never be as bad as Jedi Rocks in Return of the Jedi.

The prequels are so sad because it's apparent that Lucas didn't look back at the original trilogy and build on that. I think the key problem with them was Anakin's age in Episode I. He should have been older. Obi-Wan should have been a full-fledged Jedi Knight from the start too.

It would have been nice Yoda was a "Force only" type of Jedi fighter. He should have been powerful enough to not need a lightsaber, and we would have been spared his silly hopping around.

In fairness, the prequels will never be as bad as Jedi Rocks in Return of the Jedi.

I'll take it over senate delegations, Padme, Mace Windouche, "Yippeeee!," meaningless lightsaber duals, and Boba Fett's "legacy."

and who was leaving negatives on the above comments bashing the Titanic #$###? all positives from me!

• Like 1

and who was leaving negatives on the above comments bashing the Titanic #$###? all positives from me!

I think that it may have been someone that's tossing Cameron's salad, or maybe it was the Camster himself... You know how Jimbo hates people disagreeing with his garbage... Um, I mean his "genius"... Sorry I get "garbage" and "genius" purposely confused, when talking about Cameron.

• Like 1