DIC GI Joe Series 2: Season 1

RobbieDigital

So I have to admit......I'd never really known much about the DIC GI Joe cartoon. I always remembered the opening theme song and some of the character designs from when I was little; but other than that I couldn't remember one storyline or memorable thing about the series. I don't know if it just wasn't aired where I was when I was little but compared to my memory about the Sunbow Joe cartoons its not even close. I was pretty excited to pick up the new DVD because its something thats somewhat entirely new to me. Its weird because I have a whole room in my house devoted to this property and this is an era of the brand that is kinda unknown to me (animation story/continuity wise.) I've come to realize that my whole base of GI Joe was hard Sunbow following...with some comics here and there. Around the time that DIC took over I'm sure I was starting to hit the full Ninja Turtle wave that was crashing hard on every kid that was 11-12 yrs old at the time. I know I was still getting GI Joe stuff around this time because I remember getting the "Septic Tank" and some of the "Eco-Warriors", "Ninja Force" and "Marauders" figures for my birthday and Christmas. Version 1. Alley Viper is still one of my all-time favorite figures......but I never had this cartoon growing up. Its funny to me.........some observations from the first 10 eps. or so.

1. "Operation Dragonfire" is not as good as I thought it would be......granted I'm an adult watching a cartoon but I can suspend my "grown-upness" to an extent when watching cartoons......its no where near as good as "Revenge of Cobra" or "The Mass Device" or "Arise, Serpentor, Arise"

2. I've seen people comment about the voice acting before and I didn't think much of it......but its pretty bad.

3. I know the cartoons were somewhat 30 minute toy commercials.....but it seemed like the hid it better in the Sunbow series.....I really feel like I'm watching a toy commercial with the DIC series.

4. Who knew Gnawgahyde was featured so much!!! This guy is in every episode it seems!!!

5. The "new" Joes are okay.......surprised only Slaughter, Lady Jaye, and Hawk were the only Joes to return for what seems like a regular basis so far?

I had to pick it up myself. Was hard to find. I remember little about the series myself as well. You hit the nail on the head on everything. I kept hearing good things about operation dragonfire and that it was the wrap up to the movie. I had to re-watch the movie before getting the dvd set and i still like it. I actually forgot how good it and the story was. Wasn't perfect but what is.

In the dic series, it did seem to have some bad voice acting and was rather dumbed down. I felt a little let down by operation dragonfire, but the shows after that seemed pretty decent. I like the characters and that some of the original voice actors reprised their old roles. I am so glad I picked up the set as it does feel nostalgic. I like that Cobra Commander was still voiced by Chris Latta and he donned his battle armor. (not a fan of the snake man thing). I also like the gold domed Destro and the vehicles. I kinda see how it is more like toy commercials than anything. I am a little disappointed that the old joes and vehicles weren't incorporated with the new as now it feels more like gi joe the next generation instead of a continuation.