Who's your favorite G.I. Joe Character?

Dick_Grayson

I hope that a similar thread hasn't been made already. I searched the forum and I couldn't find one.

I'll go first, mine has always been Flint. Ever since I was a little kid, I just thought that he looked really cool and wore a barrett (I usually like characters, that wear hats for some reason). Flint also had a kind of discipline or look to him, that made him appear like the guy in charge of all the Joes... He makes Duke look like Gomer Pyle, in my opinion...

On top of that his main partner was a woman. Lady Jaye was hotter than Scarlett in my opinion, but the Baroness is hotter than them both haha.

So who's your favorite G.I. Joe character and why?

When GI Joe debuted in Marvel Comics, my original favorite was Stalker. But the problem was that I could never find the action figure in the stores; I still don't have him, but I can solve that easily with eBay. Anyway, when Flint came out and I held that action figure in my hands, my appreciation for him quickly rose. I never like the shotgun (back then) so I gave him Snow Job's rifle instead. Between the cartoons and the comics, his status as my favorite cemented itself. It helped that my brother's renewal to Marvel Comics happened to do some kind of flunky overlap so that he was getting duplicates. This meant that I got the extra comic, and one of those few comics that I got happened to be issue #37, where Flint made his Marvel debut.

9279411_1.jpg

How can you not like that image? I still love seeing him in that pose and it's one of the more iconic images of Flint that I can remember.

Now, I know that a lot of people love Snake-Eyes. And I know of guys who loved Roadblock because he was strong and carried a heavy machine gun, and I know that there were those who liked Duke because of his rank (speaking of those two, that was a pretty good intro for them in the comics as well, and when playing the original Halo, I still sometimes like to shoot down a Banshee with nothing but the pistol in mimicry of Duke). But Flint had that interesting combination of daring, strength, authority and a balls-to-the-wall attitude that endeared him to me. When GI Joe Retaliation comes out, I sure hope that they do him right.

I can definitely understand Flint as a favorite. He's one of mine as well, for the same reasons above, although I always felt the shotgun suited him for some reason. And that is indeed a classic Mike Zeck cover. His covers were the best next to Michael Golden, but that's neither here nor there...

My favorite character is Snake Eyes, and not just for the obvious reasons. Yes he looks insanely cool and is actually as dangerous as he looks, and it's easy to gravitate to characters like that. But that's not exactly why I love him so much. In the comics, namely the issue that reveals his backstory (#25?) he's portrayed as this All-American kid that was noble, trustworthy, and a good friend, yet very tragic. He experiences a lot of devastating things that should have broken him, but he continued to push forward and fight for the good guys. His anguish and depression could have easily produced an agent of Cobra, but like I said, he chose to remain "one of us" as it were. So it's like you have the ultimate living weapon that happens to have the heart of a boy scout...but he can kill you twelve dfferent ways with his bare hands. That's an intriguing duality to me. And that's why he'll always be my favorite.

Mutt was always a favorite of mine as well. He was just always one of those viscerally exciting G.I Joe characters. You know what I mean? There are just some G.I. Joe and Cobra characters that strike some chord with you when you see their vintage figure or card art, and Mutt was always one of those characters for me. Maybe it's that whole '84 wave for me in general, because I remember being so extremely excited when my brother came back from a trip to town with my dad, and he was describing all of the new G.I. Joe figures to me he had seen. When he described the "Indian" one that came with an eagle, I nearly lost my mind. (lol)

As a kid I really loved the figures with pets. (Mutt, Spirit, Snake-Eyes, Shipwreck) I used to even give a few characters pets from other toylines. Something about them was really cool. I bought Raptor as a kid just because he had a pet. I love the Robot Chicken sketch were they all get pets. It's so funny and they way I played with my figures, except the pets were helpful.

As a kid I really loved the figures with pets. (Mutt, Spirit, Snake-Eyes, Shipwreck)

Before I was seriously into GI JOE, that's why I picked up Mutt and Junkyard!!! Besides that, Mutt just had axwicked cool uniform!!!

Other than Mutt, I've had several favorites throughout the line!!!

All time favorite vehicle pilot has to be Wild Weasel!!! Forget about him piloting the best plane ever, he had a great look to him!!! Bright red jump suit, cool helmet, and great file card!!! Add to that is the great issue where he goes up against Ace with Baroness and Scarlett in the back seat respectively!! The respect shown between combatants was a nice touch!!

Tomax & Xamot. The coolest package ever for an action figure!! Some great looking outfits!! Interesting bio!! But the appearances in the comic and cartoon especially made them stand out!!! I loved their accents, and general attitude!! Most importantly, they command the Crimson Guard, the coolest sub-group of Cobra!!!

Flint!! My favorite when it comes to Joe leaders!!! His attitude, voice, and outfit was perfect!! His weapon, awesome!! His girl, the hottest in entire Joe mythos!!! Just well portrayed all around!!!

Big Boa!!! The ultimate bad ass figure!!!l when I first saw him on the shelf, I had to have him!!! Huge muscles, awesome spiked outfit, and wicked cool helmet!!! Then the bio solidified my love of this character!! Since the cartoon never showed him, my live of this figure was solely based on my imagination!!!

I'm sure there's a few more, but that's it for now !!!

Its very close, but Snake Eyes has always been my fav since I was a 5 year old loving GI JOE. The pet wolf, the cool outfit, being a ninja. Yeah that did it. And like DB said I like his back story too. Flint is a very close second and has been ever since I got the fig in 85. Loved him in the toon and the comic. Plus his filecard was just so cool to me.

Draven

Dusty is my favorite.

It used to be Snake Eyes. SE was always my favorite when I was a kid and actually played with them and watched the cartoon religiously.... but as I got older, and Snake Eyes became overexposed and ninjafied, Dusty gained ground on him.... eventually overtaking him

Storm Shadow was a favorite until they recently turned him "Metro"...

OMG if that isn't the truth.

Zartan is my fave followed by classic storm shadow. I have to say I really like the ddp versions as well and would have to add serpentor in third place.

...It used to be Snake Eyes. SE was always my favorite when I was a kid and actually played with them and watched the cartoon religiously.... but as I got older, and Snake Eyes became overexposed and ninjafied, Dusty gained ground on him.... eventually overtaking him

I think that's true for a lot of people. When they originated the entire ninja theme in that classic Silent Interlude issue, it was cool. I got wrapped up in it as well. But they went to the well too many times. It was like the Joe force became less an elite special teams force and more like a dojo. As I got older, I looked back and part of me wishes that they'd stuck to the kickass commando theme with which he originated. I still love that one piece of artwork where there were two grunts on patrol. The lead grunt is saying to his buddy that he doesn't know what's so special about the Joes since they hadn't even ran into one of them yet. But unknownst to him, Snake Eyes was taking out his companion--and not with some ninja martial arts move, but like a trained commando.

BTW, I'm wondering if the name of one of the original thirteen is going to be dropped--outside of Snake-Eyes. In the same manner that Snake-Eyes fell a bit from collective popularity due to the ninja storyline, Hawk suffered from being removed from the action. I think too many people remember him in his later role as General Hawk and forget that this is the same guy who engaged Destro in a fistfight on the back of a moving HISS tank, took several shots in the back from Cobra Commander, then while recuperating ended up capturing Major Bludd in the hospital at gunpoint because he refused to surrender his sidearm to the hospital staff. We tend to forget that he used to be pretty cool before he got mothballed, and it doesn't help that the cartoon treated him like a minor character.

As a kid, my favorite was Snake-Eyes, because he was a ninja. As of today, I think I would have to choose Leatherneck as a favorite. He was one of the first figures I ever owned, a member of the Marines (which I nearly joined back in the day), and I always liked his characterization. A close second to Leatherneck would be Salvo.

I'm gonna have to say Snake Eyes with Snake Eyes a very close second and coming in at third Snake Eyes.

Well if you're going to qualify it like that, then you should say which Snake-Eyes is each of 1st, 2nd and 3rd. For my part, originally 2snakeeyes2.jpg was my favorite, but I still liked 2snakeeyes1p5.jpg. The two have since traded places. If I'm going to throw in a 3rd option, then it would have to be snakeeyes18_large.jpg because he does look sort of cool and I loved that issue since it introduced Kwinn.

It tends to change for me. Flint is way up there, for the reasons named above. I always perfered him to Duke. I always loved beachhead's intensity. Snake-eyes for a time was a favorite. During the JVC era I loved Barrel Roll because of the stalls, and the potential (I thought) to have the brother vs. brother conflict without ninjas. I think that is probably the biggest missed opportunity in the Joe mythos. The true guy that has stayed at the top is Cobra Commander himself! I know he isn't a Joe, but he is the most iconic Joe Character aside from Snake-Eyes. I love the metal mask that reflects your own face back at you. I really dig his mysterious and conflicting origins. Despite being somewhat incompetent in the toon, he did amass a cool army, even there, and some of his plots in the comics were great. He is even mean enough to kick a puppy!

hands down for me is Beachhead. He's intense and tough as nails, hes the Joe trainer so he has to be tougher then them to prove it can be done. I always considered him to be easily in the top 5 toughest joes because of this.

Close second is Cover Girl because she isn't doing the typical ladies job. I read a number of fanfictions that give her a witty and rather smart assed personality and find that very entertaining to read.

I'm also a BH/CG pairing fan too.

Snake Eyes, Recoil, and Scarlett round out my top 5 favorites

There are so many cool characters! For me the one that draws me like moth to a flame is Cobra B.A.T. I love robots and cobra B.A.T. has always been one of my favorites. Tunnelrat is a very close second, ever since the original movie, but unfortunately IMO there haven't been to many cool toy versions, until now we that we got Renagades version now.

Good version Stormy is my favorite ninja. So my top five are

1.Cobra B.A.T.

2.Tunnel Rat

3.Good guy Stormy

4.Flint

5.Firefly

Y'know, when I think of it, a close second might be Shipwreck for me. Why? Well, on my twelfth birthday, my brother bought me Version 2 Snake Eyes, along with good ol' Shipwreck. Now I wasn't always partial to the non-camouflage Joes, and a sailor, complete with his hat, bell-bottoms, and parrot(!) were definitely a stark contrast to the coolness that was Snake Eyes, but I was intrigued nonetheless. He definitely had a cool, tough-as-nails look, despite the sailor outfit. And his cartoon persona only cemented my appreciation for him. I loved the attitude and his "Jack Nicholson" voice and swaggger. And...does anyone else look at his vintage card art and think of Hugh Jackman? (lol) Seriously, I think he would have made an outstanding RAH-era Shipwreck in a movie.

I'm gonna have to say Snake Eyes with Snake Eyes a very close second and coming in at third Snake Eyes.

Well if you're going to qualify it like that, then you should say which Snake-Eyes is each of 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I've always like v2 and v3 but I'm still waiting on an updated version of this one! :P

snakeeyes4_large.jpg