Toy Hunters

Wheeljack35

So I am confused. Some of you say you liked it but then say it seemed fake/staged, the announcer was annoying and didn't really know what he was talking about with comments like MASK was a pre-cursor for Transformers. I didn't see the show so I can't say but from those descriptions I am not sure what there would be to like???

Well the fact that he was dealing with toys that i myself had as a kid and own now as an adult was cool to see.I originally thought that this would be a show about antique toy collectors,but everything he deals with is pretty much 70's and up,stuff i could relate to.Also getting to see some of these people's insane toy stashes was pretty cool too.Even if the encounters were staged,the collectors the host visits and their stashes seemed real to me.You should really check it out and draw your own opinion though.

So I am confused. Some of you say you liked it but then say it seemed fake/staged, the announcer was annoying and didn't really know what he was talking about with comments like MASK was a pre-cursor for Transformers. I didn't see the show so I can't say but from those descriptions I am not sure what there would be to like???

Well the fact that he was dealing with toys that i myself had as a kid and own now as an adult was cool to see.I originally thought that this would be a show about antique toy collectors,but everything he deals with is pretty much 70's and up,stuff i could relate to.Also getting to see some of these people's insane toy stashes was pretty cool too.Even if the encounters were staged,the collectors the host visits and their stashes seemed real to me.You should really check it out and draw your own opinion though.

Yeah thats if they repeat it

oh.. on a related note.. one of the things that I hated the most about this show, maybe the biggest problem with the show... is that the guy was hunting ONLY as a scalper/reseller. His entire purpose was to go out and find toys that he could resell at the NYCC in order to make 20,000.

Whereas on American Pickers, you can see how much those guys (Mike and Frank) actually love the stuff they are picking. They are always looking for items to add to their own collections. They love looking at all of the history and talking to the other people they meet along the way. And they are just good guys all around.

The toy hunter guy just seemed like your average hoarder/scalper... he seemed like it was all about the money for him

oh.. on a related note.. one of the things that I hated the most about this show, maybe the biggest problem with the show... is that the guy was hunting ONLY as a scalper/reseller. His entire purpose was to go out and find toys that he could resell at the NYCC in order to make 20,000.

Whereas on American Pickers, you can see how much those guys (Mike and Frank) actually love the stuff they are picking. They are always looking for items to add to their own collections. They love looking at all of the history and talking to the other people they meet along the way. And they are just good guys all around.

The toy hunter guy just seemed like your average hoarder/scalper... he seemed like it was all about the money for him

The guy is actually a etailer, runs a site called Hollywood Heroes I believe.

yeah my biggest gripe about the show was the guy he was bland and lacked charisma. Other shows (pawn stars, american pickers, storgae wars) the characters help make you interested in it by the way they act....staged or not.

They threw up a bunch of clips from the show on the Travel Channel site for anyone who didn't see it and wants to check it out.

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/original-batman-action-heroes

Wasn't as bad as I thought. I wouldn't say they guy was annoying but the over the top enthusiasm came off campy and fake to me which I can see how some would find that annoying.

Overall in the current format I don't see this show being able to hold the attention of most toy collectors for very long. Frankly I could care less if the guy was able to sell 20k worth of toys at NYCC (showing people what NYCC is in detail would have been more interesting) or not and the whole focus of this idea that you might have a gold mine in your basement or attic with old toys is ludicrous and should not be the main focus. Most people don't have a rocket fire boba fett or one of a kind prototype toy sitting around their home, not to mention most people don't have 17k walking around a convention floor to buy the toy. Why not highlight everyday peoples collections and show them off and hear how they got into collecting and such? Talk with real dealers and shop owners and talk to them about real aspects of selling toys.

I think if they spent more time on the information aspect, like spent more time going into the history of Kenner, or ThunderCats ect ect. or talked to these guys from Kenner about how the toys where made, sold, marketed ect ect and less on the scavenger hunt/selling aspect the show would have been far more interesting and had a greater appeal to collectors or just people who watched for the nostalgia factor. I also think the Jordan guy would be better off just acting normal than trying to be a giddy fanboy.

I see alot of gross generalization going on here.Just because we don't own a valuable prototype figure doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to either.This show isn't about you or me it's about the host.He signed the contract to make a show about his business of selling toys.I mean for cripes sake i don't want to watch a show about an average toy collector.How exciting could that be.This guy travels around to the actual cities these toys originated from and tracks them down.Where as the average collectors idea of toy hunting is driving a couple miles out of their way to a secluded Wal-mart or surfing the web in search of that contemporary missing piece to their collection.I wouldn't mind a collector highlight every once in a while but i would much rather see the different towns this guy visits and what they have in store as far as toys go.This was just the first episode and although there may not be a second i'll continue to watch because i like toys.

your right lets make jj the host :) I'd watch that + he has his own comic shop that they can throw in ... have people bring things in pawnstar style lol

• Like 1

For a toy collector his knowledge kinda sucked he said Thundercats ran till 90 it was over in 89 but the thing that made me cringe the most was when he said M.A.S.K was the precursor to Transformers.

Well this guys history was off I say he only became a collector only a few years ago and is still rusty on the history

your right lets make jj the host :) I'd watch that + he has his own comic shop that they can throw in ... have people bring things in pawnstar style lol

i would not say no to that lol

Wasn't there some talk awhile back about Kevin Smith doing a show like Pawn Stars that focuses on comics, toys, and collectibles? Is it still in the works?

That show is likely going to focus much more on comics than toys though.

• 3 weeks later...