Toy Hunters

Wheeljack35

http://nerdbastards.com/2012/01/06/attention-toy-collectors-new-travel-channel-show-toy-hunters-to-focus-on-toys-and-collectibles/

I would of posted this in general Toy talk but I have a feeling it would be seen by more pople here

toycollectors.jpg

Because men eating bizarre foods (hehe see what I did there… it’s the name of the show) and downing meals of epic proportions isn’t enough, the Travel Channel will air a new reality series… about toys and and collectibles. Seems a little out of their wheelhouse, but I do like toys so…

Watch Travel Channel’s new reality TV show this January 15th, and follow Toy and Collectibles dealer Jordan Hembrough and his team as they travel the country searching for rare and valuable toys and pop culture collectibles! Learn about the history of some of the most popular toy lines in the past 30 years and follow Hembrough as he hunts for the Holy Grails of the collecting community.

The first episode will take Hembrough and his Hollywood Heroes to New York Comic Con, as Hembrough and his team search for rare collectibles. Can Jordan “seal the deal” and turn his new found treasures into Toy Gold?! Tune in Jan 15th and find out! Tune in at 11:00pm on Travel Channel. Check your local listings.

So, it’s like American Pickers, but with toys. If you’re a toy fan or even a vintage toy fan in general, this will be a must watch show. If you’re anything like me, however, seeing grown men get grabby with plastic idols will make you sad. Adults gettin’ wide-eyed over dolls isn’t the problem. I’m a man-child myself. It’s seeing these dudes scoring big on toys I no longer have (thanks Mom for throwing away all my Thundercats and G.I. Joes.) or will ever own is what will infuriate me. The jealousy!

I've seen valuable toys pop up on my favorite shows, like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, and Storage Wars, and I always thought a similar show that focused soley on toys would be a no-brainer. So yeah...I'm definitely excited to see this.

I bet all the people they talk too don't know what they have for toys and have never heard of Ebay. The host is going to find some poor guy with an original Megatron, mint on card and tell him it's worth maybe 5 bucks...

I bet all the people they talk too don't know what they have for toys and have never heard of Ebay. The host is going to find some poor guy with an original Megatron, mint on card and tell him it's worth maybe 5 bucks...

Do the Amish collect toys?@lol@

Do the Amish collect toys?@lol@

Sure but it's usually the ones they carved and made themselves which makes them very rare...

I watched it just to see what he would find. The main guy, Jordan, is really annoying. Other than that, it was pretty entertaining just to see the guys who had this stuff.

But I kinda think this show might be fake, or at least somewhat staged. How is this guy finding people with toy collections that don't know what their stuff is worth or actually want to sell it for much less than they could get on ebay?

Like the comic store "Wizard" dude. How the heck could he have all of these vintage Kenner Star Wars figures MOC, including a prototype rocket-firing Boba Fett, and not know anything about their worth? I mean they have just been sitting on a box in his store for 25 years, and he has never taken the opportunity to sell them? And he doesn't know how much they are worth? And he has just been waiting 25 years for this guy to walk into his store and offer him half of what they are worth? And then when the guy tells him how much Boba Fett might be worth, why doesn't he just go to ebay to sell it himself? lol I mean he has had a comic store for 25 years or so and doesn't know how to sell his own stuff?

The Tomart guy made more sense to me.. he didn't want to sell any of his stuff... and when he did, it was crap he didn't want and he got a decent price for it... you could tell that guy just had way too much stuff and didn't care to take the time to sell a few pieces he didn't want.

I liked the parts where he met the old Toy designers too

This show is trying to be just like American Pickers.. but the problem this show is going to have is that you can't really "pick" valuable toys. You can rarely find any toy that has any value in the hands of a person that is not a collector. So where the pickers would just drive around and see a barn full of crap and go up to the door... sometimes it would be an old guy that had just got too much stuff and was ready to let it go, sometimes it would be a younger person who had inherited the stuff and didn't care about it at all.. You can't just go around and randomly find toys..how can this guy find stuff without contacting a collector? And once a collector is involved, you would have a hard time buying anything from them.

like even in my collection, I have stuff that I am no longer interested in. But if this guy came to my house and tried to offer me half of what I could get for it on ebay, I would be like no thanks... why would I give it to you to resell so you can get the profit when I can do it myself?

I donno.. I'll watch it again

Stagger and Jordan the host is boring

I really liked it.I thought the same thing as you CLAM about that comic book shop owner,although getting national exposure on T.V. could be worth more than the figure will in the long run.Do you really think that last guy shelled out 17,000 dollars for that Bobba Fett?That to me was kind of unbelievable.

I watched it just to see what he would find. The main guy, Jordan, is really annoying. Other than that, it was pretty entertaining just to see the guys who had this stuff.

But I kinda think this show might be fake, or at least somewhat staged. How is this guy finding people with toy collections that don't know what their stuff is worth or actually want to sell it for much less than they could get on ebay?

Like the comic store "Wizard" dude. How the heck could he have all of these vintage Kenner Star Wars figures MOC, including a prototype rocket-firing Boba Fett, and not know anything about their worth? I mean they have just been sitting on a box in his store for 25 years, and he has never taken the opportunity to sell them? And he doesn't know how much they are worth? And he has just been waiting 25 years for this guy to walk into his store and offer him half of what they are worth? And then when the guy tells him how much Boba Fett might be worth, why doesn't he just go to ebay to sell it himself? lol I mean he has had a comic store for 25 years or so and doesn't know how to sell his own stuff?

The Tomart guy made more sense to me.. he didn't want to sell any of his stuff... and when he did, it was crap he didn't want and he got a decent price for it... you could tell that guy just had way too much stuff and didn't care to take the time to sell a few pieces he didn't want.

I liked the parts where he met the old Toy designers too

This show is trying to be just like American Pickers.. but the problem this show is going to have is that you can't really "pick" valuable toys. You can rarely find any toy that has any value in the hands of a person that is not a collector. So where the pickers would just drive around and see a barn full of crap and go up to the door... sometimes it would be an old guy that had just got too much stuff and was ready to let it go, sometimes it would be a younger person who had inherited the stuff and didn't care about it at all.. You can't just go around and randomly find toys..how can this guy find stuff without contacting a collector? And once a collector is involved, you would have a hard time buying anything from them.

like even in my collection, I have stuff that I am no longer interested in. But if this guy came to my house and tried to offer me half of what I could get for it on ebay, I would be like no thanks... why would I give it to you to resell so you can get the profit when I can do it myself?

I donno.. I'll watch it again

Most likely it is staged like everything else on TV...

I really liked it.I thought the same thing as you CLAM about that comic book shop owner,although getting national exposure on T.V. could be worth more than the figure will in the long run.Do you really think that last guy shelled out 17,000 dollars for that Bobba Fett?That to me was kind of unbelievable.

My first thought was where do you have $17 grand hanging around?

If your a collector you can't save since your always buying figures

I was blown away at the stuff he came across

I used ti have that same stev Austin figure and to see there was a Boba Fett prototype out there that fires the missile?? I mean WOW

But why did this comic Book store owner know nothing about toys if he owns a Comic Book Shop?

I was just in the greater Cincinnati area, for the first time, the week between Christmas and New Years. We went to the Newport Aquarium, EnterTRAINment Junction and the Creation Museum. I didn't have time to go toy hunting, but I didn't know that's where Kenner's Headquarters were when they existed. If I had known, I would have found the time to do some hunting of my own. I hope to go back, soon.

In the show, at the NYCC, was that actor Andrew Lee Potts (Connor Temple of BBC's PRIMEVAL) wearing a blonde moppy hairstyled wig with black rimmed glasses? The guy had an English accent, but it sounded like he was altering it, as not to be recognized. He totally looked like ALP in the face.

Well clearly the comic shop was staged, I saw the host say as much on Rebelscum (about how the edit to the surprize wasn't actually how it happened).

I think the problem with a show like this is you have a built in audience who will scrutinize it to death, unlike Pawn Stars or Pickers where they might hit something a certain segment knows of (like toys) and get a few factoids wrong, but with this you have dozens and dozens of fans who are pretty savy on this stuff saying "No, Transformers came before MASK, MASK was based of TF." If one of the pickers shows get it wrong you pass it off as a mistake, after all not everyone gets everything right everytime. Here it's a keystroke to check things for a few seconds, which then people watching resent because why couldn't they do that?

you save you just have to pick & choose what things you want & what things you don't want ... I put X into toys & X into savings & X into bills & food & such if you have no savings then i hate to say it but you are doing something wrong :S

you save you just have to pick & choose what things you want & what things you don't want ... I put X into toys & X into savings & X into bills & food & such if you have no savings then i hate to say it but you are doing something wrong :S

With bills? and Gas as high as ever?

im with synch you have to manage your money and pick and choose. I still collect my stuff and get what I want and I was out of a job for almost a year.

So I am confused. Some of you say you liked it but then say it seemed fake/staged, the announcer was annoying and didn't really know what he was talking about with comments like MASK was a pre-cursor for Transformers. I didn't see the show so I can't say but from those descriptions I am not sure what there would be to like???

So I am confused. Some of you say you liked it but then say it seemed fake/staged, the announcer was annoying and didn't really know what he was talking about with comments like MASK was a pre-cursor for Transformers. I didn't see the show so

I forgot about that part

I was pissed hadn't this guy heard of the dialcone line? Plus G1 first came out in 84 and Mask in 85