what was your favourite videogame of 2011

spystreak

thought I'd start this since 2011 brought us sme really great ones so what was your favourite and why was it your favourite?

mine was Killzone 3 mine's Killzone 3 because of the great soundtrack and game mechanics not to mention the story's awesome cinematic cutscenes.

assassins creed revelations because its pure awesome & follows up nicely with the story from start to ... finish the game does not end but its a fantastic send off to the two characters from the past couple of games honestly i think they even leave a lot of history open for one more story for the other guy

I just finished AC Revelations last night. Given that Desmond is the descendant of Altäir and Ezio, it's obvious they had to have children at some point, but it was nice to meet Maria(for a few brief moments anyway) and Sophia. Ezio is gonna make babies with her! There's still a lot of ground to cover between Ezio's time and Desmond in the present. So I'm hoping we get introduced to another Assassin who can run around 18th century Paris, or London, or Moscow.

• Like 1

I just finished AC Revelations last night. Given that Desmond is the descendant of Altäir and Ezio, it's obvious they had to have children at some point, but it was nice to meet Maria(for a few brief moments anyway) and Sophia. Ezio is gonna make babies with her! There's still a lot of ground to cover between Ezio's time and Desmond in the present. So I'm hoping we get introduced to another Assassin who can run around 18th century Paris, or London, or Moscow.

Honestly if they do one more with ezio I think they need to have him as like ... a side character teaching someone else or some such ... Just wondering but did you play any of the first games ?.. Because I never thought it was even in question that he was not related to them in some fashion or another! Oh also did you do the crazy side missions on the island as desmond ?.. I thought that was so awesome because when I played the first game when I got to the end I thought to my self ... "what character am i even playing here... No they wouldn't do that since Desmond is set in the "present" " @loll@

Nice to see another AC fan here!

I find myself being an old school gamer anymore. I'm talking like NES/SNES/PS1 kind of gamer. I just can't seem to find the time to play the current, in-depth games anymore. So I guess my favorite would have to be Castlevania: Harmony of Despair on the PS3. I'm just a sucker for Castlevania games anyway, but I especially enjoy the traditional side-scrollers, although Lament of Innocence is my all-time favorite entry in the series, with Curse of Darkness being a close second. My wife had gotten me a Playstation Network card for Christmas, so I spent it on HOD and the new Street Fighter II Turbo Classic HD remake. Man...that game looks like you're controlling a cartoon it's so vivid. Anyway, when I first tried HOD, the first level took up the entire screen and everything was tiny!! I thought I was gonna go blind trying to play it!! (lol) I was beginning to regret getting it until I figured out how to zoom in and make it look normal. I was so relieved.

If you're a Castlevania fan, HOD sports the same kind of graphics as Symphony of the Night, and it even has Alucard as a playable character, along with like five or six other characters you can play as. It reminds me of the old NES Castlevania III days. I've not beat the first level yet, but it's a lot of fun. The zoom out feature is even helpful in that you can better see where you've been on the level map. It's great, old-school fun.

Synch, I'd be happy to chat about AC all day long, but I wouldn't want to hijack spystreak's original intent of this thread. ;)

So, to be continued in the Video Game topic...

I think we need a videogame area instead of just a thread

Arkham City not because im biased or anything lol

No doubt. It's pretty much the only game I played this year besides Super Mario Bros. Wii. That one is for the GF and me. Arkham City is for "Adam Time".

Now I've got both of them beat and I'll probably replace AC with Zelda Skyward Sword as my solo game and Donkey Kong Country Returns for the "couples" time.

Hardcore gamer, coming through!

You know I would normally agree with all of you about Batman AC, if it werent for some random things about it that kind of annoy me. Dont get me wrong, I love the game, but there are random things that prevent me from proceeding because either the games not telling me enough or it bugs out and whats supposed to happen, doesnt. Ive only had this a few times, however right now im totally stuck on a part thats supposed to work and isnt and i cant get any further in the game because of it. I will keep at it as i love the Arkham games and the stories are just awesome.

Id say the 2011 games Ive enjoyed thoroughly this year are Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and Saints Row 3 as well as an honorable mention to Dead Island. I cant seem to get bored with UMvC3 ever. I just like it too much. SR3 is an amazing game but it can get repetitive. I think ive played it too much because I m kind of getting sick of it for the time being. I plan to go back to it but its an excellent co op game so that allows me to only play when my friends are on and do some single player games instead. Dead Island was an amazing co op game that I enjoyed quite alot as well. It was always very satisfying to cut off an enemies limbs and stab them.

If you're a Castlevania fan, HOD sports the same kind of graphics as Symphony of the Night, and it even has Alucard as a playable character, along with like five or six other characters you can play as. It reminds me of the old NES Castlevania III days. I've not beat the first level yet, but it's a lot of fun. The zoom out feature is even helpful in that you can better see where you've been on the level map. It's great, old-school fun.

A few of HODs DLC maps are cookie cuttered Castlevania 3 levels along with their bosses. You should youtube them and check them out. The others are from symphony and some of the DS titles. Also you can play as simon belmont 8 bit version as DLC as well.

EDIT: I forgot about one MAJOR game that came out in 2011 that was AMAZING and i cant believe i left it out. MORTAL KOMBAT 9!!! that game is amazing and lately ive been having urges to play some again.. It is just so good.

Skyrim, that stupid game still has me playing it. I swear the darn thing will never end.

i feel that way with all bethesda softworks titles. I think they purposefully make their games neverending feeling. If anything you are getting more bang for your buck. and just wait for the crap ton of DLC missions that are going to explode out in the next few months.

A few of HODs DLC maps are cookie cuttered Castlevania 3 levels along with their bosses. You should youtube them and check them out. The others are from symphony and some of the DS titles. Also you can play as simon belmont 8 bit version as DLC as well.

Really?! That's cool. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks!!

Where are you stuck in Arkham, Hayato? I got stumped a few times playing it myself.

Theres an underground area where you get you use the frost grenade to make ice platforms to ride in the water. In that area there is another part where you have to use your batarang to short circuit a switch box to open the area thats blocking your way. Ive hit the thing a million different ways and nothing happens. I got too aggravated and no where to go so i just said eff it and quit for now. I havent got back for about 2 weeks.

Where are you stuck in Arkham, Hayato? I got stumped a few times playing it myself.

Theres an underground area where you get you use the frost grenade to make ice platforms to ride in the water. In that area there is another part where you have to use your batarang to short circuit a switch box to open the area thats blocking your way. Ive hit the thing a million different ways and nothing happens. I got too aggravated and no where to go so i just said eff it and quit for now. I havent got back for about 2 weeks.

If this is where I think it is, it involves a trick that I didn't figure out until very late in the game: To short circuit a fuse box with a batarang, you first have to have the batarang fly through an electrical arc to "charge" it. If you look around the area you're in (maybe even around the corner or back a room or so) there should be one of those broken electrical conduits around (with the electricity sparking between wires). You have to navigate a remote control batarang through the electrical arc, then back around and to wherever the circuit box is. It's definitely a pain in the butt. I'd seen those broken electric cables throughout the game and never realized you could actually interact with them.

As for my game of 2011: It barely squeaked in before the end of the year, but my #1 would be Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO. Arkham City would be a close second, and honorable mention to Saint's Row the Third, LA Noir, and Skyrim.

I enjoyed LA Noire, but there wasn't much replay value after you completed the story part. All the "crimes" you can go stop we're pretty much the same. And trying to find the Oscar statues or film reels or whatever they were just seemed like wank busy work so I didn't even start with them.

If this is where I think it is, it involves a trick that I didn't figure out until very late in the game: To short circuit a fuse box with a batarang, you first have to have the batarang fly through an electrical arc to "charge" it.

You're right, and I was stuck on the same part for a while. Fly the batarang through the electricity first. I got stuck on a few places in AC. I went to google a lot.

I'm down to my last two Riddler Trophies and I think my game is glitched and one of them is unachievable. It's the magnet sphere in Amusement Mile under the chain fence. I went down below, made an ice platform and zip lined over to the generator. But there's a fence around the generator and zapping it doesn't do anything. I'm stumped as to what I'm missing or doing wrong.

I think I am going to have to agree with about half the thread that AC was THE game on 2011. Now having said that, I would say I probably spent more hours playing COD Black Ops then anything else in 2011 (even though that game came out in 2010) I love Batman, it's such a fun and challenging game. When you pick the hard setting, it means it! I love the feel of the game too, if you've ever wanted to BE Batman, then this is the game for you!

I think Hard setting would've kicked my ass. I'm trying to do Story+ and my hands were sore from button mashing after only three fights. I made it thru the first Catwoman level, the Bruce Wayne fight with Penguin's thugs, and the fight in front of the Courthouse. By the time I made it inside the Courthouse I was getting my ass kicked despite tossing every weapon in my arsenal and jumping around like a jackrabbit.

I think Hard setting would've kicked my ass. I'm trying to do Story+ and my hands were sore from button mashing after only three fights. I made it thru the first Catwoman level, the Bruce Wayne fight with Penguin's thugs, and the fight in front of the Courthouse. By the time I made it inside the Courthouse I was getting my ass kicked despite tossing every weapon in my arsenal and jumping around like a jackrabbit.

I'll admit it's hard, and it doesn't take much to get your butt kicked in the fights, but once you get into the beat of it, it flows like water. Definately a lot of jumping around like you've got no sense!