Thoughts on 2011

GPM in ICT

Got the 30th Anniversary wave 4 yesterday and it got me to thinking about how this year was for G.I.Joe toy-wise. It started off with wave 3 of POC hitting shelves. So we got wave 3 through 6 of POC and then four waves of the 30th. It was actually a pretty good year. We got a lot of fantastic figures (POC SE, 30th SS, with a lot of great troop builders along the way). I hate the fact that I never got or saw POC wave 5 and have yet to get the figures from that wave I wanted (CC, Jungle BAT and Hawk) and that Kwinn and Data Viper we cancelled/moved. I wish Hasbro would have given us a Renegades Roadblock since we got every other member of the team and a couple of none members (Law and Order, Airtight, though I really like those figures), but I also blame hasbro for that as they just seem to not like completing teams for any of their lines (Just look at how many Marvel teams they are one figure away from completing).

Overall, I think 2011 was a pretty good year and with the release of the second movies trailer, the quality of the figures we have gotten this year and (hopefully) the Collectors Club finally getting started I really can't wait to see what 2012 has in store.

• Like 1

I'd call it a phenomenal year. Just the right amount of figures, not too many, not too few. The figures we did get, on the whole, were amazing as was already pointed out (I know, I know, some will quickly point out the 3 or 4 Renegades that turned out so-so. But you won't find any toy line that doesn't produce a few of those per year). The detail, extra accessories, and the overall little things that go into guys like Sci Fi, Airtight, Snow Job, Steel Brigade, etc, etc, seems to be becoming the rule rather than the exception and it just make this stuff a lot of fun for the fans to collect.

I've said this before but you really have to step back once in a while and realize that Hasbro has been pretty good to Joe fans. It will never be its #1 property like SW and Transformers, but the job they do on the stuff we DO get is awesome.

2011 was the year I went back online for my GI Joe shopping..........I learned my lesson with POC Wave 5. I still have never even SEEN the Jungle BAT, Hawk, or the CC from what wave with my own eyes. I have 4 Wal-Marts within a half hour from where I live and none of them carry Joes. I have to drive about an hour away for the nearest Wal-Mart that carries Joes in my area.(Same thing for a Target) It just doesn't pay to drive that far and spend the gas money for a Joe run anymore. I haven't missed out on any waves since I've started going back online for my figures. The last time I ordered figures online was around the time "Spytroops" came out.

Other than that I think it was a great year for GI Joe........I'll still hoping we get the Dreadnoks and Marauders 7 packs before the end of the year......but I thought it was awesome that Hasbro released the rest of the Nok's like that. Growing up I was also a big Steel Brigade fan......cause it was me!! (My codename was Lionheart....in my Joeverse @loll@ ) I was super-excited to get him in the store and he didn't disappoint. Also nice to see Lifeline, Airtight, and Low-Light get some updated love.

I'm super excited to see whats coming down the line for "Retaliation".......I can't wait to get my hands on those figures.....if POC is any indicator the figures and accessories should be great.

Distribution was for...SH@#! Lost a lot of enthusiasm and interest in the hobby this past year. I'm kinda stubborn and if I can't collect my toys in the fashion I'm accustomed to (at the good ol brick and mortars) I'm bored with it. Cost and crappy distribution ruining the hobby for me, is what I chalk this year up as.

I'll second that, although I won't go so far as to say I've become bored with G.I Joe. For me it's been quite the opposite. I'm probably more excited and interested now than ever. But I do think distribution has been pretty awful, at least when it comes to Walmart...

As for the toys themselves, they've pretty much become the toy equivalent of works of art, and have perhaps...dare I say, surpassed even the originals in terms of overall quality and craftsmanship. In fact I think we've officially witnessed a G.I. Joe renaissance this past year, and I cannot wait to see what 2012 has in store for us.

yeah, for the most part, the year was really good in terms of figures. But there were some strange decisions with the repaints released such as Croc Master and Blowtorch. And yeah, some of the waves were really hard to find. I never even saw the Blowtorch/General Hawk wave. Also, there were some long lulls between releases... and target didn't get anything forever... so distribution was pretty bad

But still, Some of the figures released this year have been some of the best Joe figures of all time.

Overall, I am very pleased with what we got this year. Excellent figures all around

HMMM well POC wave 4 was good with Low light and Shadow tracker, but much of wave 5 & 6 left me a bit cold (CC, Hawk, ect) Jungle Viper (Which I must say honestly surprized me) and Crazylegs were the exception, The troop builders were ok (only one I didn't find was Rock Viper, so I leave him out) but had a very "been there" feel.

30th won me over with Hazard Viper and Stalker (Although I admit I wish Stalker had been an all new mold) but the renegades figs bored me. Either they were too bland or I didn't like the designs. Granted the later waves might help that perseption (On the way). But I saw Ripcord, Trooper and Tunnel Rat today and just didn't feel the need to grab them at all.

Storm Shadow is still on his way to me, but what I have seen I like. Scarlett as well.

The rest I admit I am very excited about and can't wait till they arrive. Loving the designs of Airtight, Lifeline, Law, Zombie Viper, Techno, ect, ect are Joes I haven't been this excited about in years.

2011, and in particular, the last couple of months have been great. the figures are phenomenal, and with the movie out next year, i expect big things next year. this is purely speculation, but i fully expect to see the next big joe vehicle to be some sort of tank. we got the vamps, skystrikers and the mobile pitt in the last couple of years, so i think a tank would be most fitting as the next big joe vehicle. the movie wardrobe seems to be less uniform, and more random, which i think will be great. looking forward to a great roadblock figure, as all the other roadblocks to date seem to be missing something. add in jinx, flint, lady jaye, mouse, and joe colton, and we have a really new set of "main characters" to choose from. 2011 was great, but i say bring on 2012 as the next great year of joe!

I'm glad someone made this post. I thought about doing it every time I opened a figure from wave 3. It seems as though Hasbro has finally figured out the exact formula of making a great action figure, and I think they should be commended. We got the best snake eyes and storm shadow figures ever made, arguably the best Scarlet ever made, a ton of great troop builders including Cobra Troopers(both the blueshirt and renegades versions rule) Iron Grenadiers, Techno Vipers, Vipers, and the amazing Shock Vipers. Most of the molds had great head sculpts, paint apps, and the extra head pack in was the icing on the cake.

I'm really bummed that we didn't get Kwinn. I want that figure so bad, and an extra to make an acrtic gear Kwinn. If he becomes the 13 CC Sub figure or SDCC figure I'm going to be sad because he'll be impossible to get.

I'm glad someone made this post. I thought about doing it every time I opened a figure from wave 3. It seems as though Hasbro has finally figured out the exact formula of making a great action figure, and I think they should be commended. We got the best snake eyes and storm shadow figures ever made, arguably the best Scarlet ever made, a ton of great troop builders including Cobra Troopers(both the blueshirt and renegades versions rule) Iron Grenadiers, Techno Vipers, Vipers, and the amazing Shock Vipers. Most of the molds had great head sculpts, paint apps, and the extra head pack in was the icing on the cake.

I agree...the troop builders were great this year.

Seems like everyone was pretty happy with the actually product, which I think great as I don't see Hasbro making too many changes with it. On the other hand, distribution seems to be the major problem everywhere. I'm just not sure where the blame falls for that though. Is it Hasbro's? I would say no, but then I look at how hard it was to find new Star Wars figures this year too. Is it the stores? Well partially, after all if they aren't carrying the brand or stocking it thenwe can't get it. Or is it our fault? If the store has pegs and pegs of figures and we (a general "we", as in the consumer in general) aren't buying them, then the store won't order them. But then it all goes back to Hasbro and how they handle packing out a case.

I think 2011 was a great year for gijoe w/ a very good cartoon and figures. I stopped collecting joes around 7 years ago, but renegades and some of the other new figures have pulled me back in.