Would You Pay $50 For Mattel JLU Figures?!?

The Wire

Pretty simple answer for me, NO! This is a little ridiculous to even ask for anyone to pay $50 for a 3-pack that includes only one new figure and two repacks of the big seven. If Mattel is so concerned with the diehard collectors, offer these figures as single carded figures through Mattycollector at a cost of $15-20 dollars. They make their money and the diehard fans get the few remaining figures.

• Like 1

Come on guys! You TOTALLY aren't seeing it the right way! They are actually doing us a favor by offering something so lame at such a high price! Man Mattel really cares about us fans, don't they? Yeah prices on everything are getting super high, and, let's face it, this is a luxury hobby, but Mattel is all like "hey guys, want this crappy JLU figure so bad? Pay me $50 so you can throw away the other figures and really just buy one" I swear, if we didn't have Mattel watching our backs, who knows what kind of chaos would ensue!

Thank you Mattel! You are totally that friend who does nothing but ask favors and hits us up for some extra cash. I swear Matty, you ever fall on hard times, you've totally got a couch at my place braj!

.... so I can smother you with a pillow

• Like 1

Come on guys! You TOTALLY aren't seeing it the right way! They are actually doing us a favor by offering something so lame at such a high price! Man Mattel really cares about us fans, don't they? Yeah prices on everything are getting super high, and, let's face it, this is a luxury hobby, but Mattel is all like "hey guys, want this crappy JLU figure so bad? Pay me $50 so you can throw away the other figures and really just buy one" I swear, if we didn't have Mattel watching our backs, who knows what kind of chaos would ensue!

Thank you Mattel! You are totally that friend who does nothing but ask favors and hits us up for some extra cash. I swear Matty, you ever fall on hard times, you've totally got a couch at my place braj!

.... so I can smother you with a pillow

@loll@

Curious to know what figures exactly. Anyone have a link (I see Static Shock)?

There may be some important details being glossed over here. Sure, the molds have been created, but what about production costs? Materials, painting, packaging/design (the real killer).

The question does stand to be answered: why can't these remaining figures be sold for a lower price singly? Or all of them together as the "Final 6"?

Curious to know what figures exactly. Anyone have a link (I see Static Shock)?

There may be some important details being glossed over here. Sure, the molds have been created, but what about production costs? Materials, painting, packaging/design (the real killer).

The question does stand to be answered: why can't these remaining figures be sold for a lower price singly? Or all of them together as the "Final 6"?

From my understanding it's the following three packs:

Blue Beetle,Fire,Booster Gold

Guy Garner,Batman,Martian Manhunter

Toyman,Superman,Aquaman

Mongul,Batman,Wonder Woman

Static Shock,Aquagirl,Micron

and finally Vandal Savage,Batman and Superman.

In all honesty the question really goes beyond Mattel and JLU. Obviously if you are not a fan of the JLU figures or only casually collect them then your not going to pay $50. But think about it from the stand point if it was a line you were passionate about. Is it worth it to you to get those last few figures at 3-4 times the cost of what it really should be to get? If so, why? It's really a question that doesn't have a black and white yes or no answer, but one everyone should think about because to me it seems to be a growing trend in the hobby. Whether it's Mattel selling collector figures directly at higher prices or Hasbro and the GIJCC selling Joe figures, we are def seeing this type of thing more and more.

To be honest, I was passionate about this line until this year when they did the three Con-exclusive 3-packs. I really wanted the sets, but I couldn't justify the price for them since I had to buy them on the secondary market. With Target and TRU raising the prices of single figures to $10 for mostly repaints, my passion for this line waned. So $50 dollars for the final 3-packs is a ludicrous number because that comes to $300 for 7 never produced figures.

I love JLU and have a massive Timm verse animated collection. My problem has always been that the figures are basically Mattel sanctioned customs... one or two standard bodies, and a new head. Then they charge a ridiculous amount for them and don't even give you three new figures in the 3pack. Lobo, parademons, Kalibak were all great but not $30 great... so there's no chance i'm even thinking about 50.00 figures. I'll just stick to my customs.

post-23509-0-84481800-1324159874_thumb.jpg

post-23509-0-41719200-1324159892_thumb.jpg

post-23509-0-46753300-1324159927_thumb.jpg

post-23509-0-19622400-1324159952_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I loved the JLU line but I also regard it as one of the most unpleasant experiences collecting a toy line ever. Mattel just asked too much of the collector and made it too difficult. That Eclipso six pack was just shameful and who ever thought of that one should be haunted with guilt for the rest of his life.

After missing a bunch of hard to find figures like Atomic Skull, Volcana, the Key and Steel, I finally waved the white flag on this line.

Fifty dollars for a figure is ridiculous. I wouldn't do it.