No new Batman movie for 10-15 years

yojoebro82

Heard on the radio this morning on a Hollywood/entertainment segment that after the Dark Knight Rises, WB will be done with Batman movies for a good 10-15 years!

This was suprising to me. This is the biggest guy in the DC stable by far, especially as far as movies go. Besides Batman, they don't have a "sure thing" in the superhero department. They'll try (again) to get Superman right, maybe it will work, maybe it won't. They'll force feed us a GL sequil that no one is really clammoring for in the first place. And besides that....that's it. Batman is going on the shelf, hu? Risky.

• Like 1

Sounds good to me I didn't like the last two Batman's they had to me it wasn't Batman. The first 4 Batman movies I like alot better. The only thing I didn't like with Batman & Robin was how they made Barba not Jim Gordon's daughter but the rest of the movie I like even Geroge Cloony beening Batman.

This is a bad idea if you ask me. Like yojoebro said, Batman is the biggest star DC has. Waiting a decade for another film is crazy. They can't get Superman right, and they already botched Green Lantern. Why put the only good thing you have going on the back burner on purpose?

This might be a ploy to get people to get behind The Dark Knight Rises. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to not wait and see where things are.

I agree with waiting before the next set of Batman movies comes out. But give it five years...maybe six or seven. 10-15 years seems crazy.

I also do NOT want another origin retelling-something that is almost guranteed if you wait that long. There's so much untaped Bat-stuff that you can move forward with. Riddler, Penguin, Robin! However, I'm half suspecting Bruce Wayne to die at the end of Nolan's story so it may be unavoidalbe.

I'd love for them to start making movies of some of the classic Batman stories. So much good stuff to choose from. Long Halloween. Death in the Family. The Dark Knight Returns. Knightfall. Pick one and go with it.

VanDerCry.gif

So this means i'll be...35-40 when the next one comes out.

Does this include Justice League?

Meh, I've written off Justice League. They'd have to get serious about getting movies like Wonder Woman and Flash out first and they apparantly don't have much interest in that. Sorry, Dawson :D

And yes, I was just thinking how I could very well have a teenage child by the time it comes out :o (Not likeley tho...)

• Like 1

From a marketing stand point this is actually perfect. By the time all the kids,who have seen these movies and watched them thousand times on DVD, grow up they will have disposable incomes, hopefully. It's an age old scam now. Regardless of that theory I am kind of happy that this will be the last one, I personally enjoyed the last movie but did not like a great many things about it. Much the way I felt about "Batman and Robin" which I just watched again the other day for the thousandth or so time. Ironic.

This does not mean that there won't be "Batman" in another medium, either cartoon or perhaps live action on television, now there's something new for you. Imagine that.

While I think it's unlikely they'll "let Batman lie" for 10-15 years (especially coming off the massive success of the Nolan Trilogy...at this point even if TDKR didn't make a single cent the trilogy would still turn a profit), there's a lot of room for interpretation in that statement:

As x69 notes above, there will still be Batman in animated series, comics, probably video games, etc...

It also doesn't preclude the possibility of introducing a new Batman in a "Justice League" movie/franchise (but at this point it seems like any potential Justice League film is a long ways off...with Nolan involved in the Superman franchise now, it's unlikely he'll want to play the "shared universe" game with Superman any more than he did with Batman.

Personally, I'd say let the Nolans spend the next 6 years or so reinvigorating Superman, then once they've moved on that'd be "long enough" to wait before rebooting Batman. I think the ONLY way WB would be able to keep their hands off Batman for a decade and a half is if they start seeing some major success from the other DC comics characters (thus lessening their "need" for Batman). Otherwise, I'm going to chalk this up to a combination of ego-stroking for Bale and Nolan (to keep Bale playing nice during the press junket and Nolan game for other projects at WB) coupled with hype-building for the final Nolan Batman film ("No really folks, it'll be 10 years before you see another Bat-film! Better go see this one!"). After all, you have to do something to try to make this movie an "event" in a similar manner to The Dark Knight...but without the publicity of Heath Ledger's death/final complete role. Personally I don't think they need the help (I think TDKR is going to do extremely well regardless...probably the top-grossing film of the year).

I would also note that Batman dying at the end of TDKR would be quite thematically appropriate for the Nolan Bat-franchise...especially if someone carries on for him "in spirit" (The whole "symbol being more important than the man" theme).

I seriously doubt it.

Heard on the radio this morning on a Hollywood/entertainment segment that after the Dark Knight Rises, WB will be done with Batman movies for a good 10-15 years!

This was suprising to me. This is the biggest guy in the DC stable by far, especially as far as movies go. Besides Batman, they don't have a "sure thing" in the superhero department. They'll try (again) to get Superman right, maybe it will work, maybe it won't. They'll force feed us a GL sequil that no one is really clammoring for in the first place. And besides that....that's it. Batman is going on the shelf, hu? Risky.

"WB will be done with Batman movies for a good 10-15 years!"

Sounds good to me. Marvel could learn a thing or two from this, by letting franchises rest before they attempt to reboot them... But anyway Its about time that Hollywood hopped off the Batman's utility belt... There are so many other DC franchises, that DC could maybe make more mainstream through film.... I would love to see a "New gods" film, only if its done right of course.

P.S. It would be fckin crazy if in 10 or 15 years from now, Nolan decided his take on Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns"... Bale would be in his late 40's or 50's (depending if its 10 or 15 years later), by then. Similar to the same age as Bruce in the book.