Is there such a thing as too old??

Lady Jaye

Just curious, how much longer are you guys going to collect toys??

I mean, a lot of us should be in our late 20's to early 30's!! Hell some of you old tops are over 40, maybe even pushing 50!!!

How many more plastic representations do you need just sitting on the shelf of movies or shows long since gone!! Or toy lines of shows meant for kids of today??

If you don't have kids, what's going to happen to your collection once your gone??

Just wondering cause I've severely cut back on my collecting!!! I really just buy a few figs a year!! And out of those few, I return a good percentage back to the store!!! I don't know, guess I just dont see the point anymore!! It was a good run, but I think it's time to move on!!

If I do collect, it'll be on a very limited basis!!

I mean, no matter what, we'll never recreate the magic of our youth with these new figs!! We don't play with them inside!! We don't take them outside in our backyard like we used to!! We don't go over to friends houses and set up gigantic battles with them!! They get opened, looked at, posed, then sit on a shelf!!!

I've seen arguments between loose and MOC collectors!! The loose guys always argue toys were meant to be opened and enjoyed. True, but they were also meant to be played with, not just sitting on a shelf collecting dust!!!

Another point of contention is that they keep releasing new versions of characters over and over!! Making the last one just a lil bit inferior to the new one!! I don't know, I got tired of that!! When we were kids, we got one version of that character, in that particular outfit, and that was it!!! I wanted the best version of a character, but when will that be?? LOL!!

Finally, these guys are getting seriously overpriced!!! I mean!! Don't think it's worth paying for a figure that just a few years ago cost half of what it foes now!! Guess it's just not worth it anymore!! Maybe if they're on sale!! :D

Anyhow, just wondering what your thoughts are!!! How long till you say, enough is enough!!

I think all of us hit a point in whatever we do where we question it. It can be caused by a lot of things and you just have to go with what you feel is right. For me I've never been able to give up comic collecting completely. Now I'm in my thirties, married with children and stepchildren and still make my weekly trip to my LCS. Now toy collecting I have been able to take a leave. When I started (and was still single) it was easy to spend the money on figures, but as I have gotten older I find that I have dropped a lot of the lines that I liked but didn't love. I've sold huge chunks of it off and while I might have regretted it a little at the time, looking back I don't miss anything I parted with. As for what happens to it. It's left to my youngest stepson and daughter (who really show now interest in any of it....yet) and if they don't want it I have it in my will that all my comics are to be given (that's right given, as in free of charge) back to my LCS. I figure I would rather have it enjoyed by someone who would love it the way I do unstead of left somewhere. My kids can sell it if they want, but I know they won't get half of what I apid or what it suppossedly worth.

Thanks for your response!!

I think a lot of it does count on your age and status in life!! If youre single and young, you don't really think twice about wasting money on items like toys, comics, and other collectibles!!!

But as you grow older, your priorities change!!! Especially if marriage and kids come into play!!!

Even if financially you can afford to buy toys or comics from here to eternity, chances are you won't!!!

Its a hobbie for many of us. It helps with my stress and helps distract my mind when feeling tense in my case. When I have a bad day, I just go hunting for a toy. Between the driving to clear my mind and then beeing able to get something I want, helps me in stressfull times. I for my part like getting figs like MU, Joes and even SW's and create something new with those figs so it helps keep creative juices flowing in my mind. Plus I like taking pictures and sometimes doing some comics. I've learned a little about photography & customizing thanks to me buying figs

So I personally don't know when I will quit, but at this time my wife is really cool with it and knows its one of my major outlets. I'm in my late thirties.

Seeing as how I just opened a comic store......at least for a bit more lol

i don't see my self ever quitting .... duno what will happen to it when i die ... I will be dead so i won't care at that point anyways @loll@ I just hope my family is smart enough to sell stuff off & make some cash from it @loll@ If I make it to the 70s-80s or what not which I doubt lol .... I guess by that time if i can no family interested in it to give stuff to I may start selling some off my self

Today is my 42 birthday and I still collect.

Will that change in the future? Maybe but not in the foreseeable future for me.

Happy birthday

Well i'm 45 and don't feel like i'm pushing 50 just yet

I'm not going to stop collecting I don't want to

I suppose when it gets to that point, it will feel like the right time. But hey, it may never get to that point. It's not like we're all going "okay. I'll keep collecting until I turn 44 and then THAT'S IT. After that I'm too old to be buying toys, dernabbit!"

Ha ha!!! Awesome JJ!!! What's it called???

And yes, you are now part of the problem!!!

link in my sig.

I've kind of hit the point in my life where toys aren't interesting me nearly as much as they used to. I'm slowly starting to sell off my collection on ebay. I'll keep some stuff, but much of it is probably gonna go.

I played with my gijoe figures all the time. then i started making custom figures and then dio's to amuse buddies here. i only collected 80's gijoe figures and sometimes the remco,chap mei lanard knock offs but that pretty much ended cause i just have no time. as adults with wives and children and jobs and the economy the way it is..ect ect very little time left to play around with all the figures ive collected.i pretty much dont buy anything anymore. ive got all the vintage gijoes and i started to collect the odd figure here and there. and if i die my collection will go to my son gordon if he wants it (not sure yet he's only 4) or my nephew tyler who used to collect with me until he discovered girls. maybe someday his kids will play with them or even my grandkids? your right on one thing we can never buy back that feeling we had as children but i'll tell ya back when i was makin customs and dios..it sure came close.

i imagine one day all my figures will be at an estate sale or garage sale and someone is gonna find an odd figure with an afro buy it for a few cents and look it up on the internet and there will be all my dios and pics that have been floating unviewed in cyberspace for decades and maybe start making their own dio's with em'? that's really the best i can hope for.

I suppose when it gets to that point, it will feel like the right time. But hey, it may never get to that point. It's not like we're all going "okay. I'll keep collecting until I turn 44 and then THAT'S IT. After that I'm too old to be buying toys, dernabbit!"

When I was 19 I thought I was too old and after I got over it I thought

"Oh hell I'm going to collect till I don't want to and that could be when i'm 80"

when you start to feel too old to be collecting toys and comics then it is time to have some kids so that you can make them collect and you can still enjoy the hobby without feeling like a weirdo

you're never too old, just collect what ever makes you happy. Toys and collectibles aren't just for kids, think of the people who design and make them as well, and why they got into designed and making toys.

I too have struggled with the notion of someday becoming "too old" to collect toys, comics, and what-not in recent years, but I've come to the conclusion that I have good reasons personally as to why I collect the things I do. There are nostalgic feelings involved, or collectibles will evoke wonderful memories for me. Or I just flat-out find that I think something's cool. Why should age change that? If anything the feelings of nostalgia and enjoyment get sweeter with time. I just turned 38 a few days ago, and to be honest I feel as if my hobby keeps me feeling young. It brings me great joy and satisfaction, and I see no reason to let a number change that anytime soon.

I will admit to having a grand vision and something to look forward to someday when it comes to my collection. I collect various lines of action figures and the occaisional comic book or two, but my real passion is Star Wars. Now I'm not one of those collectors that collects the cereal boxes, store displays, and bedsheets (not that there's anything wrong with that stuff mind you), but I do like several types of collectibles associated with Star Wars. And I have this dream of having a really cool room or basement in my future home someday where I'm gonna display it all in style. Now I do go back and forth on whether or not it should be a room where I display all kinds of stuff from different lines and companies, or just a Star Wars room only, but I digress...

As to what happens to my stuff once I'm gone or, if God forbid, something unexpected happened to me, I really don't know. I don't really think about that much, to be honest. If I kick the bucket when I'm really really old (peacefully in my sleep hopefully), then I guess my wife and/or daughter would do something with it all maybe, or perhaps my grandkids might get it. I really don't care what my loved ones do with it if anything happened to me. Maybe my wife could sell it all for my daughter's college fund. It should be enough to pay for a couple of her books by then. (lol) But I'm gonna paraphrase my grandmother, God rest her soul, by saying let's just not think about that today...

I've pretty much gotten over feeling too old to be collecting stuff. I have fun with it, it's not taking away from my responsibilities as a father, husband, or professional, and it's a great stress-reliever. I feel like it keeps me young at heart and happy, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

• Like 1

If you think about it, anybody that thinks they are too old to collect anymore probably stopped collecting and probably don't frequent Toy Collecting Forums to post about why they are too old to collect toys anymore.

So the responses in here are generally going to be "Never." ;)

• Like 1

sometimes i think about packing up all my stuff & or selling it but you know what ... In the end all i can think of what I would do with the cash would be to buy more more stuff @loll@

If you think about it, anybody that thinks they are too old to collect anymore probably stopped collecting and probably don't frequent Toy Collecting Forums to post about why they are too old to collect toys anymore.

So the responses in here are generally going to be "Never." ;)

Amen brother. (lol)