final judgments on the GiJoe Club subscription??

CLAM

GiJoe Club Subscription thoughts  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Overall, do you like the character choices for the subscription?

• Yes
    • No
    • 50/50
  2. 2. Overall, do you like the figures?

• Yes
    • No
    • 50/50
  3. 3. How many of them do you want?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9-10
    • ALL of them
    • NONE

post-2334-0-75243700-1321715612_thumb.jpg

so now that we have seen all 12 figures, what are your thoughts on this assortment?

I know it's a bit premature to say if you will be buying them or not because we don't know the pricing details, so let's just talk about the figures.

Which ones do you like? Which ones don't you like? Which would you buy if you found them on the pegs? etc

for me, I think it's a pretty strange assortment of figures.. you got little bits of all things in there... RAH, foreign, alternate universes, post-RAH, etc etc... I think they might have been trying to spread out the figures to all these different areas in order to hit the widest audience.. But I don't think that worked out so well because if you don't like all of this stuff, then there isn't going to be much in it for you. When you look at all 12 together, there isn't any cohesion in the group. These guys don't look like they go together or even belong in the same collection.

So while I think most of the figures are pretty decent, I don't have any interest in several of them. They made some really really bad character choices. I mean some of them I wouldn't even want for 6.97 at my local walmart just because the character choice is so bad, and you are going to ask people to pay some really high prices on these guys?? And then there are others that are good choices, but they didn't quite hit the mark on the figure itself. Then there are some that are great.. and there are some that are characters I don't give a crap about, but the figure turned out well... it's a conundrum

anyhow...

The ones I really like (I will try to get these figures, even if I have to pay 25ish)

Big Boa - always a RAH favorite, they did the figure very well

Topside - never cared for him in RAH, but I really like the figure for some reason. It looks like it just fits in with the other 25th stuff perfectly.

The ones I like, but wouldn't pay too much for:

TNT - he is weird, but I always wanted the original.

Grunt - I like the figure, hate the glider.

The ones I would probably buy if they were sold at retail:

Jinx - I like the figure, but I just don't care about Jinx or girl ninjas. But she would be worth normal prices.

Dice - They did a good job on him, but again, I am not a big ninja fan. And he is way over the top.

Covergirl - the figure is great, the head is bad. I would do a headswap, but not if she is expensive.

The ones I don't like very much and would probably skip no matter what:

NanoBat - I like BATS, but not neon green ones.

Surefire - don't care much about the character, the figure turned out funky. His colors are too bright and the short sleeves don't work. Bad choice to include in the subscription just because he is based on a guy involved with the club.

Barrel Roll - Another odd character choice. I don't think he has many fans. And the figure didn't work out very well to me.

Quarrel - they used a crappy body for her. and she is pretty boring

Iron Klaw - YUCK.

I like them. There was no way that they were going to please everyone and with some of the rumors surrounding the 12 figures we got (that the club could only choose some characters and only use certain parts to create the figures) I think they did pretty good. For the 12 we got, plus Foot Loose and the mystery figure (who people keep on saying is Dice, and I'd be ok with him too) I think they did well. But I do hope that if we get a year 2 that the fans get more choice in character selection (even if it just and "either this one or that one" sort of choice).

The only ones that are really blah for me are Surefire and Barrel Roll. The rest all have at least a little something going for them.

The Club is, as usual, in a tight spot. They can never please everyone or even 50% honestly. The collecting community is so divided all they could hope for was casting the widest net to see if any given person might like two or three of the twelve. They could have done teams like all Python Patrol or Tiger Force or whatever, but honestly that probably would've been less appealing to me personally so - again, can't please everyone.

The final factor here is price. They really need to bring this in at 20 bucks (or less) before shipping. I can talk myself into 20, but I'm not so sure about 25.

You know this subscription will be successful no matter what......for every Joe fan that says they are too expensive there are 2 that are going to get them no matter what. In the collecting world "Limited" and "Only available" are 2 phrase's that will guarantee that your product sells out.

I know some of us are thinking that the club will be like "Due to low demand for the GI Joe CC subscription all the figures will be offered for 15 dollars down the road at another sale."or something. In my 10 or so years collecting as an adult.....I've never really seen that happen. The stuff sells no matter what.....and someone will buy them.

The only figure I like a lot out of everything they are offering is Big Boa. That figure looks great.

Jinx and Covergirl are both decent, but I don't like Covergirl's head.

The rest of them are pretty "blah."

I think I like them all mainly because they're gonna be carded on vintage-style cardbacks. I'm primarily a MOC/MISB collector these days, and I'm intrigued by anything in retro-style packaging.

Having said that, there are a few of these I want just because I think they're cool figures in and of themselves. Big Boa is a given. I really like Jinx and I find it very interesting that they were inspired by her VvsV look. Dice looks great, although I'm not usually a fan of the ninja side of G.I. Joe. "TNT" is just weird enough to capture my interest. Grunt is interesting because I never had the original and I always wanted one. Iron Claw seems cool just because I find it fascinating that they actually went with a character from what is arguably the most reviled iteration of G.I. Joe, which is G.I. Joe Extreme. (Personally I think a Lt. Stone or Sgt. Savage would have been awesome...) I'd get it for the pure quirkiness of it, to see an Extreme character in the 3-3/4" scale and on a vintage cardback. I can live without the Quarrel simply because that 25th Anniversary Scarlett sculpt looks way too plain in comparison to the more detailed sculpts some of the other figures sport. The Nano-B.A.T. Is okay I guess...it just seems like an afterthought or something. I feel the same about Cover Girl, although I never had the original DTC version but thought it was a good figure. I always liked Barrel Roll as a character...his Spy Troops version was very original and still holds up in my mind as one of the diamonds-in-the-rough so to speak during a time when much of what Hasbro was doing looked like knock-off work. And I still like his DTC version, which of course this new one is based on. I don't know if such a thing actually exists, but the idea of having a high-altitude sniper (Did I make that up?) on the team seemed new and very interesting. So I like this figure, I'm just not real crazy about all of his colors. Top Side is cool simply because he was a character back in the day that I always imagined would look good on the deck of my make-believe U.S.S. Flagg. (lol) Sure Fire for me is the butt-ugly odd-ball. If I were the guy this figure is supposedly based on, I'd be talking to my lawyer right now. (lol)

Some days I am going to get the sub, some days I am not! Have to wait for pricing I guess.

Figures that I didn't like when we saw them individually, actually look quite good in the group pic above. The bright colours of TNT & Topside seem to even out the more boring tan/brown attires.

By the way, I love those brown attires...Barrel Roll & Grunt will look great with Sparta!

I really like all the ladies. Only bought the vintage Quarrel last year so it is great to see her & I'm glad they used Pilot Scarlett head. Jinx is funky. Cover Girl I think will look better in hand...the hair placement is a bit off in that pic but it is only a proto. Her outfit looks fine & I love the blonde hair.

Big Boa & Iron Claw are awesomesauce.

I would be all for them but I have already committed to 2 each of the Motu, Voltron and DC subs next year.

I am a bit worried about that myself. I only got 1 Voltron & MOTUC sub, but I bought 2 DC subs...just to help out...& I really didn't think it would happen! :D

You know this subscription will be successful no matter what......for every Joe fan that says they are too expensive there are 2 that are going to get them no matter what. In the collecting world "Limited" and "Only available" are 2 phrase's that will guarantee that your product sells out.

I certainly hope so. There's guarenteed to be a few figures released each year which will be too cool to pass up.

Hey all. Long time no see. I am sold on the whole thing. Mostly to how awesome big boa looks. I am collecting the motu figures and love the subscription idea. I am all in for this. I just wonder how much the pricing will be. I don't think they announced the mystery figure yet right? Or did I miss it. Heres a bonus question.

Who do you speculate the bonus figure is?

My hopes are either: Raptor, Miles Mayhem, OverKill, Overlord, Rocky Balboa, Fridge Perry, or Voltar

Hey all. Long time no see. I am sold on the whole thing. Mostly to how awesome big boa looks. I am collecting the motu figures and love the subscription idea. I am all in for this. I just wonder how much the pricing will be. I don't think they announced the mystery figure yet right? Or did I miss it. Heres a bonus question.

I'd put my money on Slice. Not only are we getting Dice but that version of Surefire we're getting was originally packaged with him. The filecard he came with describes Surefire as his bitter enemy.

I'd put my money on Slice. Not only are we getting Dice but that version of Surefire we're getting was originally packaged with him. The filecard he came with describes Surefire as his bitter enemy.

That would be pretty sweet actually. I almost forgot about him. He was an awesome figure. That would be a welcome addition as well.

Now that they are all out there is only a few i feel i'd be interested in.

Jinx is clearly the winner I'm willing to pay more for h er than normal.

I'd grave the following at normal retail:

Quarrel

Nanobat:

And if Iron Klaw or Barrel Roll had been done better i would love them, but the results are just not up to a premium. Yes I realize these are made with limited molds etc. But Barrel Roll could have a better new head and v1 colors. Iron Klaw could also have had muted colors a bit. Still I don't know if that would have saved him fro that aweful head.

Topside and Surefire are okay, but I can easily live without them.

I prefer my ninjas without purple

i've never liked big boa.

I see no need for such a plain tan grunt.

I have thought a bout buying the subscritpion and trying to sell most off for a profit (so I get my Jinx for free essentially) but I worry to many will try that and no will want all the tan grunts and topsides.